Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tennessee Titans Team Forum

Tennessee Titans Team Forum Discuss the Titans

Old 12-28-2013, 12:05 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post

Also, would you have said Jim Harbaugh, Doug Marrone, and Chip Kelly ran said college systems?

How about Bill O'Brien, Kevin Sumlin, David Shaw?

Harbaugh, Marrone, Bill O'Brien and David Shaw all have NFL Experience, that's why to me they were (and are) better coaching candidates than the previously listed. Kelly's system is working now, but IMO it's because he's a run-happy coach. I still don't like Sumlin as an NFL coach right now.

Who has Kyle Shanahan gotten production out of? Matt Schaub (who has always been overrated) and RG3 his rookie year? Do we also give Shanahan the blame for RG3's massive regression this year?

Kyle has gotten production out of Schaub, RG3, but the main thing is when guys like TJ Yates, Matt Leinart, Kirk Cousins, Rex Grossman have been forced into action they've always been well prepared. Heck even Pat White in preseason looked good against us. It's not about the all-stars that he's coached, it's about the fact he has produced mediocre guys to good numbers. We agree that Schaub has been overrated for years, but Shanahan (and Kubiak who I'll speak about later) fooled people into believing he was a franchise QB. It's a QB friendly offense and we can salvage Locker with it, in fact, I think Locker excels in that system. Plus it's relatively easy to get production from the RB position as well. As for RG3.... I've said since the beginning of the season that RG3 shouldn't be playing, and I believe that's the cause of the regression. Playing timid and not being able to throw off that leg has made him inaccurate. Mike Shanahan couldn't just bench his starting QB at the beginning of the season when the QB said he was fine to play. But again, that's Mike Shanahan and many want to pair Kyle as Mike Jr, but he's not. Again though, I'm only signing Kyle as head coach if he brings with him Gary Kubiak. Gary has lead QBs like John Elway and Jake Plummer into some of their best seasons. That's not even going back to his early years coaching Steve Young to arguably some of his best seasons. He's just a QB guy, even Keenum looked way better than he was for much of the season.

I just think it's absolutely silly (Silly I say!) to brush off Cutcliffe like he has no place in the NFL. The dude wins and has proven he gets the most out of QBs.

You think Thad Lewis is starting games in the NFL period, let alone as a rookie, if Cutcliffe hadn't mentored him?

I'm not trying to completely brush him off, but to me there's a list of at least 10 guys I'd have higher on my list than Cutcliffe. Just my opinion but you're entitled to yours, and unless Cutcliffe actually gets the job we'll never know the difference

You can endorse Shanahan all you want, that's great, and more power to you! My best friend and brother is as die-hard of a Redskins fan as someone can be. I've watched most of their games these past two years and it is my opinion that their coaching staff is an absolute joke. I just don't want any part of it, or anyone named Shanahan.

Without significant support, I believe the problems all lead back to RG3. I can't verify that, but even as that, what Mike does has not affected my views of Kyle.

I have a nagging feeling that we're debating for no reason anyway. I just can't shake the feeling that Munchak will get a 4th year.
I get that feeling as well, I don't know Smith very well, if he's going to be as tight as Bud or not, but Munch still has one year on his contract and I don't know if Smith is going to eat that money. I can't do another year of Munch, I just can't.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:56 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whelp, I'd almost guarantee Munch is back now.

If we're going to discuss coaching changes, the only thing we probably have to talk about is whether or not they'll fire Jerry Gray and make Gregg Williams defensive coordinator.

Even that seems doubtful to me.

Yay, offseason?
Old 12-29-2013, 04:10 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bernard Pollard is basically saying Jerry Gray and maybe some other assistants shouldn't be back next year. Sounds like he wants Gregg Williams to be the D-Coordinator.

Alterraun Verner said he's he's going to test the open market. Damn.

Pretty much every insider is also saying don't expect to hear anything about Munchak's future until later this week.

Last edited by CashmoneyDrew : 12-29-2013 at 04:13 PM.
CashmoneyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:59 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Bernard Pollard is basically saying Jerry Gray and maybe some other assistants shouldn't be back next year. Sounds like he wants Gregg Williams to be the D-Coordinator.

Alterraun Verner said he's he's going to test the open market. Damn.

Pretty much every insider is also saying don't expect to hear anything about Munchak's future until later this week.
We should promote Gregg, much much better.

Verner should be franchised. One of the biggest mistakes we can make this offseason is spending money on Cutler that should go to Verner
Old 12-30-2013, 12:33 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like to promote Gregg Williams to DC too, and I'd also like to upgrade OC. I really wanted Norv Turner last offseason, but we promoted Loggans instead. Lets amend that by bringing in someone like Gary Kubiak, Norv Turner (if he isn't retained), Rob Chudzinski, or Kyle Shannahan. I think I'd prefer the first two over the latter.

Loggans may have potential to become a stellar OC, but I'd prefer someone with more experience.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Last edited by TitanHope : 12-30-2013 at 12:39 AM.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

I wish we had a better OC as well, I just don't see it happening under Munch this offseason.

They'll justify it by saying that the offense was making strides before Locker's injury, and they don't want Locker to have a 3rd OC in 4 years, and all of that jazz.

Apparently it looks like Gregg Williams being the new DC will happen, however.
I didn't realize both he and Gray had expiring contracts.
Seems like almost everyone is in favor of giving Gregg carte blanche over the defense.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:24 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

Our schedule next year looks pretty brutal.

Home: Houston, Indy, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Giants, Jets

Away: Houston, Indy, Jacksonville, Ravens, Bengals, Eagles, Redskins, Chiefs
Old 12-30-2013, 10:47 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Our schedule next year looks pretty brutal.

Home: Houston, Indy, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Giants, Jets

Away: Houston, Indy, Jacksonville, Ravens, Bengals, Eagles, Redskins, Chiefs
It's always too early to tell, but I'm liking it.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:00 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Veteran

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why isn't Munchak fired yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:18 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
Why isn't Munchak fired yet?
Unfortunately, because he's not going to be.

Our best bet is that O'Brien does indeed sign with the Texans and then Penn State hires Munch over Schiano or anyone else on the radar
Old 12-31-2013, 02:34 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Veteran

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
Unfortunately, because he's not going to be.
hello-darkness-my-old-friend.gif

Quote:
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:31 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

I'm kinda relieved we won't even have the chance to sign Cutler
Old 01-03-2014, 06:17 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Veteran

Quote:
I'm kinda relieved we won't even have the chance to sign Cutler
Same. I loved the dude as a prospect but he's just too careless with the ball.

Quote:
Old 01-03-2014, 10:47 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
Same. I loved the dude as a prospect but he's just too careless with the ball.
Yup, slightly better Fitzpatrick IMO. Not worth 17m a year.

On a positive (or negative), we should find out about Munch today
Old 01-03-2014, 03:07 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Some positives from last season:

Defense greatly reduced the amount of points given up.

11th ranked pass defense (yards)

Fewest passing TDs allowed in the NFL.

Ranked 13th in opposing QBs passer rating.

Hopefully we can keep most of the defense intact while improving against the run
Old 01-03-2014, 05:07 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well...it looks like Munchak is coming back in 2014. *sigh* More of the same ol' same ol' from this organization: "if it's broke, don't fix it" mentality...

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20140103/SPORTS01/301030112/Titans-keep-Munchak?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|FRONTPAGE
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:21 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Some positives from last season:
Defense greatly reduced the amount of points given up.
11th ranked pass defense (yards)
Fewest passing TDs allowed in the NFL.
Ranked 13th in opposing QBs passer rating.
Hopefully we can keep most of the defense intact while improving against the run
Yep...overall, the defense definitely improved this season. Casey and Verner were in beast-mode for most of the season; and Morgan, McCourty, Wilson, Pitoitua, etc. all made solid contributions. The biggest addition in my book was Pollard, who played the pass much better than I expected him to and whose toughness seemed to rub off on Griffin (who played better this year than he's been in a long while).

The decline of the LBs is a bit disconcerting, however. Apparently, Ayers graded out very well on PFF for 4-3 OLB -- though, honestly, I can't recall any impact plays from him this season. Brown got benched and had a feud with the coaches after his strong start to the season. McCarthy was both injured and ineffective for most of the season; Foku was decent at the start of the year but fizzled after his injury. I've still got faith in this group of LBs and attribute much of the problem to poor coaching/scheming of this group -- though I think it's safe to say that we bring in some MLB help this year and part with either McCarthy or Foku this offseason. (Personally, I'd cut McCarthy, as he can't stay healthy and as Foku is versatile enough to serve as the backup for both MLB and SLB.)

My guess is that Verner's gone during FA. And as much as I like Verner as a player, I don't blame him for wanting to go to a contender, and I wouldn't be upset if we let him walk either. I'd rather spend the money that we'd spend on Verner to bring in an impact DE like Greg Hardy or Michael Bennett. Of course, Verner could be franchised but I'm not sure what the franchise-tag is for CBs next season. If we get Verner to return for a reasonable number, then great; if not, that's OK with me too personally. I think it's more crucial that we lock-up Casey, re-sign Pollard, re-sign Pitoitua, and bring in some MLB and DE help (either via FA or the draft).
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:53 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicktheGreat View Post

The decline of the LBs is a bit disconcerting, however. Apparently, Ayers graded out very well on PFF for 4-3 OLB -- though, honestly, I can't recall any impact plays from him this season. Brown got benched and had a feud with the coaches after his strong start to the season. McCarthy was both injured and ineffective for most of the season; Foku was decent at the start of the year but fizzled after his injury. I've still got faith in this group of LBs and attribute much of the problem to poor coaching/scheming of this group -- though I think it's safe to say that we bring in some MLB help this year and part with either McCarthy or Foku this offseason. (Personally, I'd cut McCarthy, as he can't stay healthy and as Foku is versatile enough to serve as the backup for both MLB and SLB.)

My guess is that Verner's gone during FA. And as much as I like Verner as a player, I don't blame him for wanting to go to a contender, and I wouldn't be upset if we let him walk either. I'd rather spend the money that we'd spend on Verner to bring in an impact DE like Greg Hardy or Michael Bennett. Of course, Verner could be franchised but I'm not sure what the franchise-tag is for CBs next season. If we get Verner to return for a reasonable number, then great; if not, that's OK with me too personally. I think it's more crucial that we lock-up Casey, re-sign Pollard, re-sign Pitoitua, and bring in some MLB and DE help (either via FA or the draft).
I agree about the linebackers, Fokou looked pretty lost in coverage at times and Ayers did as well. I think the biggest thing with Ayers is we need to play to what suites him, same goes for Brown. I thought both regressed tremendously as the season went on and I think that had something to do with how we were playing them.

We need to find a MLB, luckily, this years draft class has several that are pretty talented and the FA class does as well.

I'd be pretty disappointed if Verner did indeed walk, but he could actually replace Finnegan in St. Louis. With that said, the salary cap isn't expected to increase much, and CBs didn't get paid much last year. If Verner is ok grabbing 5-6m a season like a lot of the top guys at CB did last season, we have to retain him.

I'd love to add Michael Bennett or Greg Hardy, but I don't know if we'll invest in DE with Wimbley still on the roster.

I think the biggest thing we need to do is add a NT type on defense, SLH didn't stop the run well enough and we need to move on and grab one of the big guys that can stop the run in FA or the draft. That would solidify the run game and keep blockers off our LBers.

Personally, I'd love to see Paul Soliai at DT and sign or draft a MLB if we can't retain Verner
Old 01-03-2014, 08:49 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Veteran

Quote:
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Mike Munchak gets another chance to right the ship for the Titans.

Indications are team president/CEO Tommy Smith has decided to retain the coach for the 2014 season, people with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports. The people spoke under the condition of anonymity since the team has not made a formal announcement.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...coach/4310889/
I'm sitting next year out. I've had enough of this ****.

Quote:
Old 01-03-2014, 08:51 PM    (permalink
RufusMcDaniel
Mage Bros
Pro Bowler

RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think what you meant to say, Alex, was...

RufusMcDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:55 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Veteran

No, this is what I meant:

The last time this franchise won a playoff game, I was 14 years old. Time and time again, instead of the team swinging for the fences with personnel moves, they decide to bunt instead, and that's why they'll never be anything other than varying degrees of mediocre and okay. I need a year off from this unfulfilling crap.

Quote:

Last edited by The Alex : 01-03-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:22 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Anyone else starting to think the reason we haven't gotten any official word because Munchak is currently interviewing for the Penn State job?

Ah, I can dream can't I?
Old 01-04-2014, 01:55 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

I spent the day watching film, a few guys really surprised me. Johnny Manziel surprised me, but I'm still not a fan of taking a QB this year in the first.

Kony Ealy (watched film on him during the day and then the game tonight) is the 2nd best DE in this class.

Greg Robinson is such a tenacious run blocker, he's my #2 rated LT this year and one of my top choices for the Titans. Hopefully he comes out. Looking forward to him playing FSU.

Right now, my top 2 players for the Titans (that I consider realistic options) are Kony Ealy and Greg Robinson.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:51 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Munchak has reportedly been let go as Titans head coach

Old 01-04-2014, 02:30 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DING DONG the MUNCH IS GONE.

Honestly, I didn't hate Munch or think that he was horrible, but he really seemed to keep us in mediocrity. I'm glad the franchise has the balls to go another direction and we will see what solution they come up with.

Last edited by pierce2walker : 01-04-2014 at 02:32 PM.
pierce2walker is offline   Reply With Quote