Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:57 PM    (permalink
briz5x

Default Asante Samuel may be seeking a trade

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10108712

Adam Schefter's "Around the League" reports and commentaries can be seen regularly on NFL Total Access.

(April 4, 2007) -- A near perfect offseason in New England now is being interrupted with a reminder that not everything is ideal in Patriots Nation.

Free-agent cornerback Asante Samuel, whom the Patriots slapped with their franchise tag in February, is so displeased and discouraged with his contract talks with the team that he now is open to the idea of playing elsewhere and will seek a trade.

"This is to let everybody know that I'm not happy anymore and things are not going well," Samuel said in his first public comments since the Patriots franchised him. "At first I thought it was going well, but it's not.

Asante Samuel feels his value is higher than the Patriots realize.
"We have a difference of opinion in my value. They think I'm worth one price and the other teams think I'm worth a lot more. If a long-term deal can't be done at fair numbers for me and New England, then I want to be traded."

If a long-term deal cannot get done with New England and a trade to another team does not happen, Samuel said he also is prepared to take steps he would rather not and sit out this season.

"If it's best for me and my family," Samuel said, "I will do that. Absolutely."

Patriots spokesman Stacey James declined to comment.

However this plays out, New England looks as if it is going to have to address this potential problem after solving others this offseason with the additions of linebacker Adalius Thomas, running back Sammy Morris, tight end Kyle Brady and wide receivers Wes Welker, Donte' Stallworth and Kelley Washington.

"We want to get something done and my hope is we will," said Samuel, who intercepted 12 passes last season, including two he returned for touchdowns in the playoffs against the Indianapolis Colts and the New York Jets.

"But if it doesn't get done, I'm prepared to do what's best for me and my family. It's not what I want to do, but what I have to do. They're handling their business the way they feel they have to and I'm going to do the same."

Samuel now would like to be able to strike a deal with another team.

Problem is, any team that signs Samuel to an offer sheet -- and the Cleveland Browns, New York Jets, New Orleans Saints and Washington Redskins are among the many teams seeking upgrades at the position -- would have to compensate the Patriots with two first-round picks.

A team also could arrange a sign-and-trade deal, but it's unlikely that New England would be willing to deal the 26-year-old Samuel within its division, although the Patriots once did so with free-agent running back Curtis Martin.

"The rest of the league knows I'm worth more than New England is offering, but they're scared of that (compensation)," Samuel said. "But I want to get this over with bad enough that I'm willing to work with any team to get a fair long-term deal done."

Samuel's frustration goes beyond the limitations that other teams are facing in trading for him. He said that when the offseason started, the Patriots told him they would take care of him with "an elite contract." But in Samuel's opinion, no "elite contract" has been forthcoming at a time when San Francisco shelled out $80 million for free-agent cornerback Nate Clements.

Also, Samuel has watched the Patriots reward players such as Thomas with big money while he has not been offered a similar deal for his role in helping the Patriots win two Super Bowls and come within a few minutes of reaching another last season.

Now, after contract talks stalled again, and the sides remain far apart, Samuel felt he had to push this issue from the background to the forefront.

"I've been patient, haven't said anything bad, haven't said anything negative," Samuel said. "But my patience has run out. Business is business. They handled their business their way and I'm handling my business my way. I hope not, I really hope not, but it's looking more and more like it could be time to move on."
Old 04-04-2007, 08:59 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott Pioli: *twists Asante's balls which were already in his hands*

"you aint goin anywhere"
Old 04-04-2007, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Scott Pioli: *twists Asante's balls which were already in his hands*

"you aint goin anywhere"
Worked well with Branch last year, eh?
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Worked well with Branch last year, eh?
Thats only because Branch is severely overrated and he managed to trick Seattle into giving a 1st for him.

Asante is far too valueable for him to do the same. Unless its a mid 1st for Asante, hes there to stay.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:05 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

About damn time. I was wondering what was wrong with Samuel and Dwight Freeney to not make a stink about the fact that they're getting hosed.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he'll end up somewhere in the NFC becuase theres no way he's going to the Jets

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Achilles33
Veteran

Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.

If I were the jets, I would offer #25 overall right now, and see if they will do it.
Achilles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Thats only because Branch is severely overrated and he managed to trick Seattle into giving a 1st for him.

Asante is far too valueable for him to do the same. Unless its a mid 1st for Asante, hes there to stay.
Actually it was a future 1st, which has the value at the time of a mid-2nd, so it wasn't a bad trade at all.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles33 View Post
If I were the jets, I would offer #25 overall right now, and see if they will do it.
Pioli rather stick his johnson in a blender than give Asante to the Jets.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:08 PM    (permalink
briz5x

Samuel is better than any corner in this draft. Hes close to a top ten pick, itll be hard to trade him im not sure a team will give up the value that the pats will want.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:12 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I suppose we should be hearing rumors about the Redskins pursuing him soon.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:21 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

hes not really seeking trade or demanding it

he said if a deal doesnt get done sone(if they fail to reach an agreement thats fair to him) then hes prepared to holdout and hes ready to demand
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:22 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chiefs trade a future 1st round pick and Greg Wesley for Asante

maybe not though nevermind
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Last edited by bored of education : 04-04-2007 at 09:25 PM.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:27 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
Chiefs trade a future 1st round pick and Greg Wesley for Asante

maybe not though nevermind
future 1st? no. Wesley blows anyways..theres a reason 2 second year players will start over him. hes on his way out
Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Quote:
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:32 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
trade Asante to Rams for Steven Jackson and Tye Hill :)
Old 04-04-2007, 09:34 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

HA!

and the two 1st round picks then we have a deal and give them Maroney
Quote:
Old 04-04-2007, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Athrun340
Rookie

Athrun340 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

my my my .. i hate to see patriots having 3 first round picks in the draft

just stay there asante plz.. im begging you =) lol
Old 04-04-2007, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Asante goes anywhere and I hope he stays, but if he does leave we could get some really good value for him. As said before he is probably better than any CB in this draft, and he is probably worth a top 15 pick. The Pats would probably ask for a lot more than that, seeing as they wanted 2 first rounders for Deion Branch.
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:37 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
HA!

and the two 1st round picks then we have a deal and give them Maroney
na uh. we want two #39s with dreads and playmaking abilities

and we'll give u pick 24 and 28 for pick 13 or w.e u have and your 3rd and 4th rounder so in the end

Pats receive:
Jackson
Hill
13th pick
3rd
4th

Rams receive
Samuel

:)
Old 04-04-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

There is a difference between Branch and Asante.

Asante is arguably a top 5 corner.

Branch is not a top 10 wideout.

Branch had Brady throwing to him, that makes many receivers look good.

Asante is the key to our secondary and Pioli will give him an extension.
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6 View Post
na uh. we want two #39s with dreads and playmaking abilities

and we'll give u pick 24 and 28 for pick 13 or w.e u have and your 3rd and 4th rounder so in the end

Pats receive:
Jackson
Hill
13th pick
3rd
4th

Rams receive
Samuel

:)
Nope we keep the 13th then we have a deal

jackson and hill combined are worth more than 24 and 28. Asante is worth and 3rd and 4th and that leftover worth. So no 13 and we have a deal.
Quote:
Old 04-04-2007, 09:48 PM    (permalink
briz5x

Quote:
Originally Posted by 255979119 View Post
There is a difference between Branch and Asante.

Asante is arguably a top 5 corner.

Branch is not a top 10 wideout.

Branch had Brady throwing to him, that makes many receivers look good.

Asante is the key to our secondary and Pioli will give him an extension.
hopefully. Asante probably wants more than his franchise tag number, something close to a Clements deal. Pats probably want to give him something slightly under his franchise tag number. They need to come to a middle ground and get this done, if someone has to bend more its the pats, Asante is too good to let go.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:49 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Asante + 24 & 28

for

Springs + 6 and late round pick

Think it could go down?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Athrun340
Rookie

Athrun340 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i think this one will just like be the lance briggs situation