Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-03-2013, 08:18 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1) HaHa Clinton-Dix Safety, Alabama
Finally we address our need at Safety with a playmaker with size, speed, and ball skills. 6-1 210 and coached by Sabin. Hopefully he will be our next Woodson

2) Trent Murphy DE, Stanford
This is a guy I love for his non stop motor and work ethic. Through 8 games he has 33 tackles and 9.5 sacks. Fits the mold of the RKG. 6-6 265

3) Anthony Steen OG, Alabama
WEEK 7 SEC OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK:.Recorded the top grade on the offensive line...No missed assignments, no sacks, no pressures and no penalties A bit short at 6'2 310 but would be an immediate upgrade at either Guard position.

4) DeAndre Coleman, DE/DT, California
Great size with decent length and overall athleticism. Explosive get-off to penetrate and plays with nice pad level for his height. Violent at the point of attack. 6'5 310 May not last till the 4th

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
1) HaHa Clinton-Dix Safety, Alabama
Finally we address our need at Safety with a playmaker with size, speed, and ball skills. 6-1 210 and coached by Sabin. Hopefully he will be our next Woodson

2) Trent Murphy DE, Stanford
This is a guy I love for his non stop motor and work ethic. Through 8 games he has 33 tackles and 9.5 sacks. Fits the mold of the RKG. 6-6 265

3) Anthony Steen OG, Alabama
WEEK 7 SEC OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK:.Recorded the top grade on the offensive line...No missed assignments, no sacks, no pressures and no penalties A bit short at 6'2 310 but would be an immediate upgrade at either Guard position.

4) DeAndre Coleman, DE/DT, California
Great size with decent length and overall athleticism. Explosive get-off to penetrate and plays with nice pad level for his height. Violent at the point of attack. 6'5 310 May not last till the 4th

I like it, wouldn't mind going Safety, Guard or Guard, safety right now.
I'm liking what I'm seeing from the band of back-ups on the d-line enough right now to see if we can develop a starter or two and some depth.
So at this point I can wait to see if D-line is a 1st or 2nd round priority or more into the 3rd round.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:11 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Haha Clinton-Dix(LOL) more of a FS or SS? I like Wilcox's potential, so I would like for them to get a guy that could play on the back half while Wilcox can move around and take care of things in the box.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Is Haha Clinton-Dix(LOL) more of a FS or SS? I like Wilcox's potential, so I would like for them to get a guy that could play on the back half while Wilcox can move around and take care of things in the box.
Hes a FS. Here's a writeup from Walters: Clinton-Dix had a breakout season in 2012 as a platoon player with Vinnie Sunseri. Clinton-Dix totaled 37 tackles with five interceptions, four passes broken up and a forced fumble. The Crimson Tide mainly used the sophomore in pass defense in the deep part of the field with Sunseri being used in run-defense situations.

Clinton-Dix closed out last season on fire. He had interceptions in the last three games against Auburn, Georgia and Notre Dame. In the SEC Championship, Clinton-Dix returned the pick 35 yards. In the National Championship, his interception came deep in Alabama territory to help take away points from the Irish. He also had seven tackles and a pass batted away in the Crimson Tide's title victory.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 11-04-2013, 07:44 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To add on Ha Ha he's a nice centerfielder that I honestly rate higher than Mark Barron. IMHO by the time the draft rolls around he's going to be a top 10 pick and well out of our reach.

I hope I'm wrong as pairing him with Wilcox would be a very nice back end :D
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey pocket, interesting mock. I'm shocked that you didn't have us taking a DT until Round 4. lol. It's cool though. HCD being available for us is a nice hope. I would dig that selection. I think it could be similar for some of the other guys too. Still way early, I know... but I see Murphy as a 1st rounder right now. Steen is cool but I think we like POWER Guards. Like the Coleman mention. Seen his name floating around, but I haven't researched him up yet.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:04 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Hey pocket, interesting mock. I'm shocked that you didn't have us taking a DT until Round 4. lol. It's cool though. HCD being available for us is a nice hope. I would dig that selection. I think it could be similar for some of the other guys too. Still way early, I know... but I see Murphy as a 1st rounder right now. Steen is cool but I think we like POWER Guards. Like the Coleman mention. Seen his name floating around, but I haven't researched him up yet.
Well for me the draft is all about value. The reason I threw a fit in last years draft was because we got bad value in the trade and IMO Fredrick wasnt a 1st round guy. Then after we got our Center, we ignored the rest of the line which I thought was a mistake. Last year I was Mocking us Sheldon Richardson who last I read was in line for DROY. Im not sure where he was on our board but it seems that our scouts made a mistake rating Floyd over him. I thought we were going to more of a zone read type O-line? Your right though its very early and rankings will change so this is just a dream draft for me, at least early on lol

Old 11-04-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well for me the draft is all about value. The reason I threw a fit in last years draft was because we got bad value in the trade and IMO Fredrick wasnt a 1st round guy. Then after we got our Center, we ignored the rest of the line which I thought was a mistake. Last year I was Mocking us Sheldon Richardson who last I read was in line for DROY. Im not sure where he was on our board but it seems that our scouts made a mistake rating Floyd over him. I thought we were going to more of a zone read type O-line? Your right though its very early and rankings will change so this is just a dream draft for me, at least early on lol
I noticed that regardless of scheme change, our take on OL has always been favored towards big powerful linemen. I used to think like you did, especially last offseason knowing that Callahan was taking over OC. But then we took Frederick, put Leary in the starting line up and signed Waters. After that, I tossed those thoughts out the window. Cowboys aren't changing their ways and that really doesn't bother me. I love OLs that play with sheer power, and although I believe DeMarco Murray is a great one cut runner... my confidence of him being our long time starter for us is dwindling... if not already shot.

As for the draft board, I get your frustration, but have you ever thought that the board is put together based on draft grades and NOT need? I'm sure a NEEDS board would've looked completely different from a board based strictly on value. Isn't the common theme around here that we don't address the same needs year after year? Yet, some demand staying strict to value. Sorry, but there needs to be some give and take involved. Some balance.

This wasn't a draft that was top heavy. It lacked elite caliber talent. You can't cling to that idea that since he was ranked #7 (or whatever it was), that we were passing on an elite guy. A ton of teams passing on him. Everyone knew that the strength of this draft was in the early rounds. Trading down was more favorable than trading up. ...and what we ended up with has worked magnificently. You gotta let the decision makers who put the board together, the same allowance to make a decision on trading down.

Lastly, those same guys who put the board together also said that they gave 1st round grades to TF, Escobar and T-Will. So if that's the case, don't you think they got "value" out of their board???
Old 11-04-2013, 03:15 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's the same story every year, what we should do is BPA at Safety, interior o-line, and interior d-line.

What we will do is some hodgepodge of that. We've been much better at drafting the last few years, but we're still too focused on building from the outside in.

My guess is that they'll feel pretty good on the d-line again and ignore it (what with all the injuries and the guys we've brought in), I hope we figure out that Church/Wilcox/Johnson aren't good enough as a combination and try to upgrade this, but I won't hold my breath.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
It's the same story every year, what we should do is BPA at Safety, interior o-line, and interior d-line.

What we will do is some hodgepodge of that. We've been much better at drafting the last few years, but we're still too focused on building from the outside in.

My guess is that they'll feel pretty good on the d-line again and ignore it (what with all the injuries and the guys we've brought in), I hope we figure out that Church/Wilcox/Johnson aren't good enough as a combination and try to upgrade this, but I won't hold my breath.
Frederick and Wilcox taken in the first 2 rounds of the draft is exactly that. Anything after round 3 and we're talking depth guys or risky upside guys who might give us a chance down the line. The fact is we had 3 interior OL positions to fill and 2 Safety spots to fill and we addressed those early.

You bring up interior DL, but I'd also say that really wasn't as big a need as it looks now. Crawford going down and Ratliff lying about injury were unforeseen issues. Even if Ratliff wasn't ready at the start, we all thought he'd be here by now and many of us believed in Lissemore. Hayden out playing him looks like the right move as he has played well for us. Watching the way Marinelli has identified talent to bring in also tells me that he had the confidence to do his job without the need for Garrett to go early on DT talent. Our interior DL right now is pretty dang tough if you ask me. I've been impressed with the rotation of Hayden, Wynn and Austin so far. Yesterday we stuffed AD over and over again and the only big runs I remembered were made when he bounced it outside and Barry Church failed to make the tackle.

If you're talking about the days of us not taking a NT in the 3-4, then I'm totally with you there. Which is another reason for me not liking the Kiffin hire. This year there was FINALLY depth at the NT position in this draft. Keeping Rob and getting a guy like Hankins or Jenkins would've been perfect for his scheme.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:15 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I noticed that regardless of scheme change, our take on OL has always been favored towards big powerful linemen. I used to think like you did, especially last offseason knowing that Callahan was taking over OC. But then we took Frederick, put Leary in the starting line up and signed Waters. After that, I tossed those thoughts out the window. Cowboys aren't changing their ways and that really doesn't bother me. I love OLs that play with sheer power, and although I believe DeMarco Murray is a great one cut runner... my confidence of him being our long time starter for us is dwindling... if not already shot.

As for the draft board, I get your frustration, but have you ever thought that the board is put together based on draft grades and NOT need? I'm sure a NEEDS board would've looked completely different from a board based strictly on value. Isn't the common theme around here that we don't address the same needs year after year? Yet, some demand staying strict to value. Sorry, but there needs to be some give and take involved. Some balance.

This wasn't a draft that was top heavy. It lacked elite caliber talent. You can't cling to that idea that since he was ranked #7 (or whatever it was), that we were passing on an elite guy. A ton of teams passing on him. Everyone knew that the strength of this draft was in the early rounds. Trading down was more favorable than trading up. ...and what we ended up with has worked magnificently. You gotta let the decision makers who put the board together, the same allowance to make a decision on trading down.

Lastly, those same guys who put the board together also said that they gave 1st round grades to TF, Escobar and T-Will. So if that's the case, don't you think they got "value" out of their board???
Those guys you mentioned carried 2nd round grades not 1st. All Im saying about Floyd, right or wrong, is that he was a top 5 guy on THEIR board and filled a position of need too. We can all agree we needed a Center and 2 guards and a OT based on the previous year. Year to date I'd say they made the right call by getting TF and TW. At the time it didnt seem like it to me. Looking at their board http://profootballzone.com/nfl/cowbo...leaked-photos/ We had 2 OGs ranked in the 1st round and only 2 others ranked in the entire draft and not until the end of the 4th round. IMO we needed linemen over Escobar, and Randle, and maybe even Wilcox (only 1 year playing Safety) and Webb. The real question is why some of the linemen that were drafted arent on our board at all? I used to buy into the RKG and team captains ect.. but it seems we take a lot of talent off the board by doing so and it hasnt made any difference on the field. We seem to be the same kind of team we've always been under Garrett.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:23 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Frederick and Wilcox taken in the first 2 rounds of the draft is exactly that. Anything after round 3 and we're talking depth guys or risky upside guys who might give us a chance down the line. The fact is we had 3 interior OL positions to fill and 2 Safety spots to fill and we addressed those early.

You bring up interior DL, but I'd also say that really wasn't as big a need as it looks now. Crawford going down and Ratliff lying about injury were unforeseen issues. Even if Ratliff wasn't ready at the start, we all thought he'd be here by now and many of us believed in Lissemore. Hayden out playing him looks like the right move as he has played well for us. Watching the way Marinelli has identified talent to bring in also tells me that he had the confidence to do his job without the need for Garrett to go early on DT talent. Our interior DL right now is pretty dang tough if you ask me. I've been impressed with the rotation of Hayden, Wynn and Austin so far. Yesterday we stuffed AD over and over again and the only big runs I remembered were made when he bounced it outside and Barry Church failed to make the tackle.

If you're talking about the days of us not taking a NT in the 3-4, then I'm totally with you there. Which is another reason for me not liking the Kiffin hire. This year there was FINALLY depth at the NT position in this draft. Keeping Rob and getting a guy like Hankins or Jenkins would've been perfect for his scheme.
Wilcox was a 3rd rounder. IMO you couldnt count on Ratliff (when was the last time he was good anyway?) We knew Brent wouldnt be back and those other guys hadnt really showed anything to make you think you were ok at those spots. We keep saying those street guys are good but AD had 140 and we only had 1 sack yesterday. When we play good QBs we get exposed. Those guys might be good for depth but there is a reason they were on the street. Lets not pretend that DT/DE isnt a need again this year, That would be another mistake IMO.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Wilcox was a 3rd rounder. IMO you couldnt count on Ratliff (when was the last time he was good anyway?) We knew Brent wouldnt be back and those other guys hadnt really showed anything to make you think you were ok at those spots. We keep saying those street guys are good but AD had 140 and we only had 1 sack yesterday. When we play good QBs we get exposed. Those guys might be good for depth but there is a reason they were on the street. Lets not pretend that DT/DE isnt a need again this year, That would be another mistake IMO.
Typo there. That's why I said anything after Round 3, but yeah... my bad.

Still Crawford and Lissemore were supposed to be relied upon. Nobody said anything about Brent. We knew Ratliff would be out a few weeks, and we know the 3-4 had taken it's toll on him, but there was legitimate excitement for him playing in the 4-3 and expectations were for him to be playing by now. To deny that is lying. It was a need, but not a 1st round need.

I mean c'mon. It's a bigger need this year and you're giving us a 4th round DT in your mock. Do you drink your own medicine???
Old 11-04-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Typo there. That's why I said anything after Round 3, but yeah... my bad.

Still Crawford and Lissemore were supposed to be relied upon. Nobody said anything about Brent. We knew Ratliff would be out a few weeks, and we know the 3-4 had taken it's toll on him, but there was legitimate excitement for him playing in the 4-3 and expectations were for him to be playing by now. To deny that is lying. It was a need, but not a 1st round need.

I mean c'mon. It's a bigger need this year and you're giving us a 4th round DT in your mock. Do you drink your own medicine???
Like I said, it's all about value. If you can get a higher rated safety then you take him. They are both needs so...if the DT is higher rated then you take him. Most mocks on here have us taking a Lineman early so I wanted to do a mock that was a little different that's all. All in fun, right?

Old 11-04-2013, 07:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Like I said, it's all about value. If you can get a higher rated safety then you take him. They are both needs so...if the DT is higher rated then you take him. Most mocks on here have us taking a Lineman early so I wanted to do a mock that was a little different that's all. All in fun, right?
Hahaha. Just bustin' your balls. Next time, you'll bust mine.

But just consider.. Like you just did is failing to address our DL until late... maybe the Cowboys are also going for their best value instead of ALWAYS going for need. ;)
Old 11-04-2013, 07:53 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Hahaha. Just bustin' your balls. Next time, you'll bust mine.

But just consider.. Like you just did is failing to address our DL until late... maybe the Cowboys are also going for their best value instead of ALWAYS going for need. ;)
But it was addressed, not totally ignored ;)

Old 11-04-2013, 08:35 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm wondering right now if passing on Lacy in round 2 was worse than passing on warford.
Especially since they haven't really utilized Escobar, I like him as insurance for Witten but not sure that was a need with Hanna on the roster.
The way things are looking we may have to address running back in this draft as well.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
I'm wondering right now if passing on Lacy in round 2 was worse than passing on warford.
Especially since they haven't really utilized Escobar, I like him as insurance for Witten but not sure that was a need with Hanna on the roster.
The way things are looking we may have to address running back in this draft as well.
I wonder if you'll like my next mock. ;)

I'll finish it up after din din.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:34 PM    (permalink
cmd34
Rookie

cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Shilique Calhoun DE 6-4/250 Michigan State
The redshirt sophomore is sky rocketing. I might be jumping the gun but love the chance to grab a young pass rusher in the last third of the 1st round.

2. Ed Reynolds S 6-2/205 Stanford
Smart Free Safety with range, he will shine in the Tampa 2.

3. Xavier Su'a-Filo G 6-3/305 UCLA
Versatile enough to play anywhere on the line, he's the long term answer at Right Guard.

4. James Wilder, Jr RB 6-1/229 Florida State
Murray's a year away from free agency and Randle is a JAG. Wilder's running style reminds me of Murray.
cmd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:11 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watching Eddie lacy last night really has me longing for a bad ass at RB.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:52 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Watching Eddie lacy last night really has me longing for a bad ass at RB.
My brother was livid when we passed on him in the draft. I'm seeing his point with the way murray is always injured and I don't think he's the answer anyway, his poor vision negates his skills to a degree.

I know we took randle as insurance but he's not Lacy. Oh well it is what it is.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd34 View Post
1. Shilique Calhoun DE 6-4/250 Michigan State
The redshirt sophomore is sky rocketing. I might be jumping the gun but love the chance to grab a young pass rusher in the last third of the 1st round.

2. Ed Reynolds S 6-2/205 Stanford
Smart Free Safety with range, he will shine in the Tampa 2.

3. Xavier Su'a-Filo G 6-3/305 UCLA
Versatile enough to play anywhere on the line, he's the long term answer at Right Guard.

4. James Wilder, Jr RB 6-1/229 Florida State
Murray's a year away from free agency and Randle is a JAG. Wilder's running style reminds me of Murray.
I do notice Calhoun's stock rising. Seems on the light side for a 4-3 DE though. I think he projects best to 3-4 OLB, but I don't blame you for wanting to jump into the excitement. That Michigan vs Michigan St game opened up my eyes on their defense as a whole. Legit. If we took him, I would be very hopeful.

Been waiting for Reynolds to blow up this year... still waiting. Stock is steady though.

I had Su'a Filo in my first mock, but this year he's left me feeling down. After watching our play this year, I think we need run blocking guards and Su'a Filo is a little too finesse for me personally.

I agree with you that Wilder runs similar to Murray. For that reason, I pass. Good value though, so I wouldn't be totally mad.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:37 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We had 5 spots to fill because we have ignored those positions forever. You can't just point to last year, and say we've done an adequate job.

Even if you just look at the backup TE choices in the 2nd round and look at the safeties or O-lineman (including tackles, because that's been a crapshoot too) picked after in those drafts, it's interesting the talent we've lost out on.

In 2006, we could have had guys like Bernard Pollard, Andrew Whitworth, Eric Winston, instead of Fasano.

This year, we missed out on Swearinger or Warford.

Then you look at the lost picks we have because of bad Jerry trades, and it's no wonder this franchise has been mediocre for the past 17 years.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:41 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
We had 5 spots to fill because we have ignored those positions forever. You can't just point to last year, and say we've done an adequate job.

Even if you just look at the backup TE choices in the 2nd round and look at the safeties or O-lineman (including tackles, because that's been a crapshoot too) picked after in those drafts, it's interesting the talent we've lost out on.

In 2006, we could have had guys like Bernard Pollard, Andrew Whitworth, Eric Winston, instead of Fasano.

This year, we missed out on Swearinger or Warford.

Then you look at the lost picks we have because of bad Jerry trades, and it's no wonder this franchise has been mediocre for the past 17 years.
You can nitpick every team's draft every year though. There has to be some reasonable expectations. Cowboys aren't perfect. No team is. There are always regrets. Hindsight always gives you the right answer. I was Swearinger's biggest fan and yeah, I was disappointed that we didn't get him too. So I know it's even more frustrating when you see a guy that can help us and we don't take him and the Cowboys are wrong with the guy they took instead. It totally sucks. That said Escobar may not be helping us this year, but I don't put it past him to be the heir to Witten and become a star one day.

When Parcells was here he wanted to run 2 TE Sets... Garrett has always tried to draft the personnel to do the same. Makes sense to draft guys that you think will help you run your system. Sorry fact is that those guys (Fasano/Bennett) didn't pan out. Our best hope for correction will come from the guys who sit in our HC seat and our Scouting Director seat. That's what I believe.

I feel like this team does alright when it takes known commonly known draft prospects, but when we go for small school guys like David Arkin, Robert Brewster, Matt Johnson with high picks (first 4 rounds) we end up shooting ourselves in the foot trying to be too cute.

On the other hand, I think we're pretty exceptional when we take talent that has fallen because the player has a history of injury. Chris Canty, Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, DeMarco Murray...
Old 11-05-2013, 05:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

This team has been frustrating no doubt. We always seem to have our fair share of stars though, and our units seem to go from bad to good and good to bad at different times, never quite all aligning at once (except in 2008 when we had 13 Pro Bowlers)... but this is the life of an NFL fan. There is misery every where you look around the league. 49ers are a proud franchise like us, but they haven't won a SB since the 90's as well. They bounced back pretty good last year on the shoulders of good coaching and a brand new shiny QB. It might take the same thing for us. ... which doesn't bode well for Garrett and Romo.