Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:07 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The play calling is the number one problem for us followed by us giving up on running the ball. I missed most of the first half but saw the second half and the commentators said that Gore had over 60 yards in the first quarter and yet, I barely saw him in the second half. I truly dont understand that.

To me, it seems like Harbaugh and Roman are forcing the read option and Kaepernick to pass in order to prove that it still works even though its not. Kaepernick doesnt need that gimmick and yes, it is a gimmick that has run its course. Time to get back to just power running and basic traditional offense. Team has plenty of talent on offense to where we dont need gimmicks.

Defensively, they're playing bad but they've been out there for 2/3rds of the game the last two weeks so eventually, they were going to give up touchdowns yesterday. Going into the 4th quarter down 13-7, I was shocked that the defense held up that good for that long considering our offense wasnt doing a damn thing to help them.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:11 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
The play calling is the number one problem for us followed by us giving up on running the ball. I missed most of the first half but saw the second half and the commentators said that Gore had over 60 yards in the first quarter and yet, I barely saw him in the second half. I truly dont understand that.

To me, it seems like Harbaugh and Roman are forcing the read option and Kaepernick to pass in order to prove that it still works even though its not. Kaepernick doesnt need that gimmick and yes, it is a gimmick that has run its course. Time to get back to just power running and basic traditional offense. Team has plenty of talent on offense to where we dont need gimmicks.

Defensively, they're playing bad but they've been out there for 2/3rds of the game the last two weeks so eventually, they were going to give up touchdowns yesterday. Going into the 4th quarter down 13-7, I was shocked that the defense held up that good for that long considering our offense wasnt doing a damn thing to help them.
I don't disagree, but they haven't been forcing the read-option. They've been forcing a pass-first, pistol, offense where most runs occur out of the "diamond."

The team runs at an elite level when they run out of a traditional, under-center formation. It's not coincidence that press-man defense doesn't work as well if you can attack it with quick-hitting runs, and play-action passing.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:18 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
So Josh Gordon was apparently on the trading block, at least before Sunday. Any interest in him for a 1st?
Oh hell no. I just read that this guy is one strike away from a year long suspension and considering whats just happened with Aldon, a player like Gordon is the last thing this team needs. And for a first, oh hell no even more. A 4th at most would be what I give up and even that I probably wouldnt do just because too much bullcrap and drama off the field. Not worth it imo.

A WR who we should inquire about is the Giants Hakeem Nicks. He'll be an UFA in March and after paying Cruz, the Giants may not want to pay him. They're 0-3 and could trade a player or two before the deadline. A 2nd or 3rd rounder would be what I would offer because if the Giants let him leave, getting something for him would be better than the compensation pick which would be a pick at the end of the third round at best. Plus, as far as I know, he has been clean off the field. If thats true, thats exactly what this team needs right now.

Steelers WR Emmanuel Sanders would also be a player I inquire about but would offer less in trade compensation than what I would offer Nicks. Not many options out there in regards to trading for a WR. Oh well. Guess we'll just have to ride it out.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:21 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I don't disagree, but they haven't been forcing the read-option. They've been forcing a pass-first, pistol, offense where most runs occur out of the "diamond."

The team runs at an elite level when they run out of a traditional, under-center formation. It's not coincidence that press-man defense doesn't work as well if you can attack it with quick-hitting runs, and play-action passing.
Every play I was watching was that pistol read option yesterday. They need to just dump it. Its not fooling anyone anymore. And quite honestly, Kaepernick has the arm strength and accuracy to where he doesnt need a gimmick. He proved that against the Packers.

Agree with the second part 100%. Wish the coaching staff would see that.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:52 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Every play I was watching was that pistol read option yesterday. They need to just dump it. Its not fooling anyone anymore. And quite honestly, Kaepernick has the arm strength and accuracy to where he doesnt need a gimmick. He proved that against the Packers.

Agree with the second part 100%. Wish the coaching staff would see that.
You saw the pistol a TON, and "diamond" alot. But they only ran read-option a handful of times, and it failed every time.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't understand why Roman is immune to common sense. Why are you using Dixon on a power sweep play? Even if you have the perfect blocking setup, why would you do that? He's the worst candidate for that kind of play. Why are we leaving the run game when it worked on the only time we actually scored points? Why aren't we utilizing checkdowns and tosses to the backs if the receivers aren't getting off the jam? This is starting to remind me of the Mike Nolan era where we would just stick to what we thought should be working even when it's clearly not just because of this ridiculous notion that if you keep trying the same thing it's bound to work sooner or later. It's strange. Roman can't be this stupid. I have a funny feeling that the very same thing is going to happen Thursday against the Rams though.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with the rest of you guys the pistol crap needs to go and get back to west coast offense and power running game like we used. i said it last year and I'll say it again enough with the pistol crap. I like the two Te sets yes but not the pistol or diamond sets. Get it out of the play book.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:56 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Go back to the Alex Smith Offense
Old 09-23-2013, 10:12 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A WR who we should inquire about is the Giants Hakeem Nicks. He'll be an UFA in March and after paying Cruz, the Giants may not want to pay him. They're 0-3 and could trade a player or two before the deadline. A 2nd or 3rd rounder would be what I would offer because if the Giants let him leave, getting something for him would be better than the compensation pick which would be a pick at the end of the third round at best. Plus, as far as I know, he has been clean off the field. If thats true, thats exactly what this team needs right now.
Nicks will miss at least 2-3 games per season. Tough call for Baalke if he does go for Nicks, especially if Nicks gets injured and is out for a couple of weeks.

Giants won't let go of Nicks either. He's been one of their go to guys, and frees up Cruz a lot.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Harbaugh presser was funny today. He got ticked off at Matt Maiocco and said "Man you're analyzing everything today" in a whinny little ***** voice.

Yeah, no **** we're analyzing everything Harbaugh. Your team is 1-2 and playing like dog doo doo.

Quote:
Old 09-24-2013, 11:48 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verloren View Post
Nicks will miss at least 2-3 games per season. Tough call for Baalke if he does go for Nicks, especially if Nicks gets injured and is out for a couple of weeks.

Giants won't let go of Nicks either. He's been one of their go to guys, and frees up Cruz a lot.
True but if I could snatch him for a 3rd rounder, he's easily worth the gamble. I dont think the Giants will franchise him so its either him being re-signed or him being an UFA. I'm betting on him being an UFA.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:15 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Nicks, for the $ he's going to want, isn't worth a 3rd. I've followed him since his North Carolina days and he's talented but hasn't proven able to stay on the field on a consistent basis. Now, if we pulled off another "Boldin-style" robbery for a 6th or a 5th, count me in. Well worth the gamble even if he walks next year. I just don't see the Giants pulling the trigger on that unless he falls out of favor with the team like Britt has in TEN.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Old 09-24-2013, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Darryl Morris was added to the 53 man roster today.

Quote:
Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
I think Nicks, for the $ he's going to want, isn't worth a 3rd. I've followed him since his North Carolina days and he's talented but hasn't proven able to stay on the field on a consistent basis. Now, if we pulled off another "Boldin-style" robbery for a 6th or a 5th, count me in. Well worth the gamble even if he walks next year. I just don't see the Giants pulling the trigger on that unless he falls out of favor with the team like Britt has in TEN.
I don't see the Giants trading him for anything other than a first round pick. The asking price will be so high and as we've seen teams are extremely reluctant to give up their draft picks. I'd love a guy like Nicks for Kaepernick to work with, but the asking price is just too high and he can't stay on the field. Always seems like he's hurt.

Quote:
Old 09-25-2013, 12:44 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

True guys but I dont want Gordon for a first rounder so I mentioned Nicks.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:14 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe that they will move Gordon and it will be for less than a 1st Round pick. Somewhere around a 3rd rounder is the likely value to pull that trigger but it could be less as he has significant off-the-field concerns. The 49ers could use him as a #2 WR with upside, however, after the Aldon debacle, they are likely going to distance themselves from bringing in players with documented troubles.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Old 09-25-2013, 11:06 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Do any of you guys have any insight as to why Owen Marecic is suiting up, but Jon Baldwin isn't?

I mean, Kassim Osgood is taking snaps at WR on gameday.