Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Old 12-10-2013, 07:14 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkyRamsFan View Post
[/b]

Not sure if he is fast enough for a blue chip grade. Also, a lot of big type receivers are slow in and out of their breaks and never get the separation they got in college. Combine and individual workouts will be important for him to move up the board.

Just looks to me to be another big guy that benefits from Manziel's scrambling around and throwing jump balls. Well, TBH, I'm also getting very leery of players from Spread systems. Seems like all of their stats are grossly inflated and they never really learn to run a full route tree until they get to the NFL. See: Quick, Brian.

At this point the only "elite" WR prospect is probably Sammy Watkins and, yet, he also has his issues.

Hope this answers your inquiry somewhat.

Go Rams!!
How fast does he need to be to receive a Blue Chip grade? There are a bunch of #1 Receivers that don't run the fastest Forty.

Larry Fitzgerald: 4.63
Anquan Boldin: 4.71
Jerry Rice 4.71

I think Evans is in the 4.55-4.6 range.

Jeremy Maclin, Justin Blackmon, Dez Bryant, Wes Welker, Michael Crabtree, Josh Gordon, Kendall Wright, Percy Harvin are all Receivers who ran a spread in college.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
How fast does he need to be to receive a Blue Chip grade? There are a bunch of #1 Receivers that don't run the fastest Forty.

Larry Fitzgerald: 4.63
Anquan Boldin: 4.71
Jerry Rice 4.71

I think Evans is in the 4.55-4.6 range.

Jeremy Maclin, Justin Blackmon, Dez Bryant, Wes Welker, Michael Crabtree, Josh Gordon, Kendall Wright, Percy Harvin are all Receivers who ran a spread in college.
Well, we'll just have to see how he works out. I didn't say he couldn't play in the NFL or even be a superior receiver, I'm just not sure at this point if he is an "elite" prospect.

Besides don't you think that we have a Mike Evans- type already? Seems to me that Brian Quick plays the same kind of game as Evans does, for the most part.

I wouldn't mind drafting a kid like this....it's just that I would not want to spend the 8th overall pick on a guy who, IMO, is not a blue chipper at this point.

WHAT SAY YE?

Last edited by ArkyRamsFan : 12-11-2013 at 01:09 PM.
ArkyRamsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:24 AM    (permalink
ramsrule
Rookie

ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rams need help ot OL and CB as well as another big body on the DL. Depth at LB and RB wouldn't hurt, either, though you can get a good rb later in the draft (Stacy).
ramsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:52 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alright guys, I had to much soda tonight and am wide awake. I can't believe the NFL Draft is right around the corner. And speaking of the draft, I can't believe I see some mocks that have the Rams selecting Bridgewater.

Rams release:
Cortland Finnegan CB
Harvey Dahl OG
Scott Wells C
Kendall Langford DT
Isaiah Pead RB

Rams sign:
Rodger Saffold
Kendall Langford
Jarius Byrd

2014 NFL Draft
Round 1: Jadeveon Clowney DE, South Carolina
- Guys I'm falling in love with Clowney with this pick. I know the sexy thing to do with this pick is to trade down and get a crapload of picks, but man we are very close to being a team that is right there with the Seahawks and Niners, we need to get as many superstars as we can. Clowney, Quinn and Long would be a insane pass rush. And you can't tell me there won't be a ton of opportunities to get all three of these guys on the field at the same time. Have a great pass rush, and it makes the entire defense better.

Round 1: Mike Evans WR, Texas A&M
- I do think when it's all said and done that Evans will end up going higher than this pick, but for now I'll take him with it. One of the things I enjoy watching these last few games is the week to week improvement of some of these rookies, most notably, Stedman Bailey. I told my friend in the beginning of the season that Zach Stacy would lead the Rams in rushing (he's a big Richardson fan...or was) and that Stedman would have more receiving yards than Tavon. Bailey just looks really smooth out there and i like the way he plucks the ball out of the air. That said, he's never going to dominate a defense and take over a game. Mike Evans has a chance to be a true #1 WR for Sam and the offense, could be the missing piece.

Round 2: La'el Collins OL, LSU
- A versatile Offensive Lineman, Collins has played Guard and Tackle for the LSU tigers, though I believe his future at the pro level is at Guard. Can slide in to Dahl's old spot and hopefully help stabilize a revamped O-Line.

Round 3: EJ Gaines CB, Missouri
- Nothing earth-shattering, but EJ is my man crush this year. I'm not going to be surprised at all if he gets selected in the first round come draft day, but for now I'll slide him here. With the release of Finnegan our secondary needs some CB depth behind Jenkins and Tru, and I'm telling you, Gaines can beat out Trumaine for that starting job.

Round 4: Tyler Larsen C, Utah State
- I don't watch much Center play, but I haven't heard much from Tim Barnes these last few games so I guess that's a good thing. That being said, I don't want him as our starting Center long term. I really want Barnes to be our backup Center and Jones to be our backup at the Guard positions. That way we're covered all across the line pretty much. If Barksdale (yes I have him starting) goes down or struggles, you can slide in Saffold at RT and put Jones at his old guard spot.

Round 5: Aaron Murray QB, Georgia
- Maybe I'm a tad homerish toward Georgia players like I am Mizzou players just because my best friend is a Dawgs fan. I think Murray can be a very capable backup in the NFL, he's never going to be an elite NFL starter at the next level but I think a Chase Daniel comparison is fair.

Round 6: Deandre Coleman DT, Tennessee
- Get another big body in the D-Line rotation, Coleman stands 6'5 and is 320 pounds. This is an area where I can see the Rams spending earlier picks on. Langford isn't playing at a high level right now and I think the Rams could be looking for a replacement for him.

Round 7: Trey Watts RB, Tulsa
- Would it shock anyone if both Pead AND Richardson were cut in the offseason? Richardson has been in street clothes the last half of the season. I don't think there's any doubt that Cunningham has taken that backup role from both of those guys. That being said, I still have a soft spot for backs with soft hands, maybe I watched Kevin Faulk to much. If De'Anthony Thomas somehow slipped all the way to here, I think we'd be dumb not to jump all over it, but with his speed, i doubt it.

-Thoughts-
- The more and more I think about the draft, the less I want the Rams to trade down. I'm high on Jake Matthews as well, but I just feel like Clowney is a once in a 10-15 year type player on the Defensive Line. I don't think we can pass that up just because we have Long and Quinn, arguably the best DE Duo in the NFL currently. I think if the Rams release the players I suggested that they will have enough money to sign Saffold long term. And my thoughts on the signing of Byrd is, there's one elite safety in this class, if the Rams don't get him it screws up the entire offseason In my opinion. I would hate going into the draft NEEDING a safety. I guess I dont want to put all of our chips on drafting HaHa and him not being there, and then in like the 6th round they select some below average safety and we're talking about the exact same thing for the 2015 draft.

And Maybe I'm getting fooled by how well the O-Line is playing these last few games, but I think just maybe Barksdale can be our starting Right Tackle for a few years. Well that's it, it'll change a million times from now until draft day, but it's always fun looking back on these and saying "wowzers" lol, I'm sure I'll make one next month that will look totally different.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:36 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Nice win today, Stacy is now 42 yards away from 1,000. And Robert Quinn is 2 sacks away from the sexy 2-0.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:33 AM    (permalink
fatso
Rookie

fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lets go Rams. I will donate $100 to St Louis food bank if you guys win this week.
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:31 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's official - the Rams are picking 2nd and 13th.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:09 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
It's official - the Rams are picking 2nd and 13th.
What team offers us the best deal? hmmm!
Old 01-01-2014, 02:03 PM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You know I love you Holt_Bruce but Rams can't afford to take Clowney. I agree that Fisher would be able to get all three of the field more often than not but the pass rush by this team was easily one of it's strengths, but the run defense was a liability at times. More 3 DE sets could give team more favorable running match-ups. If the Rams take a DL in the first, I think it should be a 3-tech to slide in next to Brockers. Rams can't afford to do what the Giants did, and they were doing that with picks post-20, not Top 3.

I won't do the whole "trade down" stuff because it's always a little harder than people think it is, but I just can't agree with taking a third DE when you already have, arguably, the best DE duo in the league (as you said). Now the issue is that I'm not too high on Matthews either. I think he plays too soft at times and is all technique, which has given other guys problems at the next level. If he can show some more power and tenacity in the Senior Bowl or Combine or what have you, then I will start leaning more to that pick. Honestly this pick is confusing me...A LOT. Because I also agree with you that Barksdale is probably the starter at RT. It seems to me (and I was privileged to cover the Rams this season for a local station) that the organization is a huge fan of him and might not see OT as a position that needs a high pick like some (most?) fans seem to.

Damn that was longer than I wanted...but it's good to be back!

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.
rockio42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:00 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For me, right now, it's either Matthews @ 2 or a trade down.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:34 PM    (permalink
fatso
Rookie

fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockio42 View Post
You know I love you Holt_Bruce but Rams can't afford to take Clowney. I agree that Fisher would be able to get all three of the field more often than not but the pass rush by this team was easily one of it's strengths, but the run defense was a liability at times. More 3 DE sets could give team more favorable running match-ups. If the Rams take a DL in the first, I think it should be a 3-tech to slide in next to Brockers. Rams can't afford to do what the Giants did, and they were doing that with picks post-20, not Top 3.

I won't do the whole "trade down" stuff because it's always a little harder than people think it is, but I just can't agree with taking a third DE when you already have, arguably, the best DE duo in the league (as you said). Now the issue is that I'm not too high on Matthews either. I think he plays too soft at times and is all technique, which has given other guys problems at the next level. If he can show some more power and tenacity in the Senior Bowl or Combine or what have you, then I will start leaning more to that pick. Honestly this pick is confusing me...A LOT. Because I also agree with you that Barksdale is probably the starter at RT. It seems to me (and I was privileged to cover the Rams this season for a local station) that the organization is a huge fan of him and might not see OT as a position that needs a high pick like some (most?) fans seem to.

Damn that was longer than I wanted...but it's good to be back!
While I agree the whole "lets trade down" thing is usually much easier said than done, I think you guys might have a legitimate chance to. Instead of QB's or LT's though, it'd be for pass rushers. Barr, Clowney, and maybe a guy like Khalil Mack.

It could happen, and that RG3 trade would go from good to legendary.
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:56 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
While I agree the whole "lets trade down" thing is usually much easier said than done, I think you guys might have a legitimate chance to.
Agreed. They've done so in each of the last two first rounds since Snead/Fisher have been here, first with the RGIII trade and then last year trading down w/ Atlanta and selecting Ogletree at the end of the first.

I think their chances of trading down from 2nd overall are good, as long as they don't hold out for another RGIII-type package because I don't think teams will give that up for a QB in this class.

If for some reason they don't trade down from #2, I could easily see them moving down from #13 and targeting the best DB on the board, where the value may be a bit better later in the first round.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

It's the start of a new year, which means we're in full draft mode. Underclassmen are declaring left and right, the majority of the draft order is set, and the discussions are heating up!

This is the first of what I'm sure will be many Rams-only mock draft projections of the year, just to give an idea of some possible scenarios. Expect them to change and shift as the process goes along!

Let's start with something not entirely unexpected... a trade!

In this projection, the St. Louis Rams trade the second overall pick (TVC for Rams: 2600 pts) to the Cleveland Browns for the fourth overall pick, the 35th overall pick, and a 2015 second round pick (est. TVC for Browns: 2550 pts).

By making this trade, the Rams only drop two spots, pick up an additional pick this year, and what they have to think will be an additional Top 50 pick in next year's draft. The Browns make this move in order to ensure they get their man at QB (sorry if you're not on board, Cleveland fans who might be reading... it's just a possibility!).

With that trade in the books, let the drafting begin...

Round 1: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
-Simply put, Jake Matthews represents the best combination of both value and need for the St. Louis Rams. Jake Long injury history and latest knee issue puts his long-term effectiveness for the club in question; it’s possible he could be gone after the 2014 season when his guaranteed money has been paid out. Matthews is the top offensive tackle in what looks to be a great class; the Rams would benefit by taking the best of the best at the position and grooming him to be Sam Bradford’s blindside protector for the next decade.

Round 1: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
-Dennard is often left on an island, which is rare for the college level and speaks to his talents as a defender. He boasts capable size for the position and shut down ability, which he’s displayed on some of the biggest stages available to him. Cortland Finnegan regressed severely in 2013 and may not be back at his current deal this upcoming season. If he’s out, that leaves only Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson at corner, with Brandon McGee as the only real depth behind them. In Dennard, the Rams get yet another prospect who currently ranks as the best at his position in this class, and someone who should challenge for significant playing time right out of the gate.

Round 2 (f/CLE): Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
-Robinson gives the Rams the kind of size they’d like from an outside starting receiver, and unlike Brian Quick, Allen knows how to use his size and strength to his advantage. While Robinson isn’t a burner – and that’s one reason he might be on the outside looking in when it comes to the first round – he possesses enough speed and acceleration to get the job done. He’s been incredibly consistent as a collegiate receiver this year; he caught more than five passes in all but two games this year and eclipsed the 100 yard mark in eight of twelve contests. He should compete immediately for starting time on the outside.

Round 2: Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
-What I think will appeal to the Rams about Pryor is his versatility, and that’s something that made Kenny Vaccaro such an intriguing safety prospect for the Rams last year. Pryor is a guy who can be moved interchangeably between traditional free and strong safety roles. The one area where he’s going to have to answer questions is his athletic ability and how it translates to potential man coverage assignments. If he can display the effectiveness and ability to handle that, then I think he’d be very intriguing to this Rams defensive staff.

Round 3: Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee
-Shades of Albert Haynesworth? Daniel McCullers will likely weigh in around the same size that Haynesworth was, and you have to wonder if Fisher will have flashbacks of the big man on the inside of his line. He’s either going to force teams to double team him, leaving Quinn, Long, and/or Brockers one on one, or someone is going to have to handle his girth by themselves. Either way, he’d be a great addition to the Rams’ defensive line rotation.

Round 4: Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
-I don’t think it’s an understatement to say Kellen Clemens performed much better than most expected when he took over for the injured Sam Bradford this season. However, Clemens is a free agent and could command a decent back-up’s check coming off of his 2013 performance. Maybe the Rams find a way to retain him on the cheap, but even if they do, they’d be wise to start looking for someone younger to groom behind Sam as a capable back-up. Murray has enough ability to be intriguing in that role, but shouldn’t threaten Sam’s job like a higher selection might.

Round 5: Jordan Tripp, LB, Montana
-At this point in the draft, the Rams are still looking for contributors; Zac Stacy is a prime example of that. Jordan Tripp is a Day Three prospect that I find intriguing because, though he lacks the physical ability to be more highly regarded, he does all the little things right and does them with maximum effort. He’s instinctive, a high character guy, and shows good technique at the position. For a Rams team in need of a situational player, Tripp may have just enough to emerge in that role.

Round 6: Brandon Thomas, OG, Clemson
-Thomas could be gone at this point in the process, but for this projection, I’m counting on his lack of ideal size limiting him to an interior position, which will decrease his value at the next level. Still, for a Rams team in need of help along the interior of the offensive line, Thomas has some intriguing qualities and should find a home at least as a back-up/reserve.

Round 7: Lynden Trail, DE, Norfolk State
-Trail was a four-star and Rivals Top 150 player coming out of high school, after which he committed to the University of Florida. However, he apparently was not playing well enough to see much time for the Gators, and transferred to Norfolk State. In the late rounds, it could be worth taking a risk on a guy with his kinds of physical tools.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:11 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I don't know much about the last three guys you have us taking, but I love the first 6 picks. Would much rather have Pryor in the 2nd then I would Clinton-Dix in the first.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:45 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

stlouisfan37 WHERE ARE YOU BRO?

Senior Bowl starts on the 20th, anyone you guys are keeping a close eye on?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:33 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Rams fired Tim Walton, hired Gregg Williams

No more 15 yard cushions?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:47 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Ok boys, this is my 2nd or 3rd draft. Need to take a break from doing some math. Your opinion is always welcome!

Cuts:
1.Harvey Dahl
2. Cortland Finnegan

Free Agent signings:
1. Chris Clemons FS
2. Rodger Saffold OL

2014 NFL Draft
* Rams trade their 1st round pick number 2 overall to the Cleveland Browns for their 1st round pick, number 4 overall and their 1st round pick number 26 overall.

2nd overall pick = 2600 points
4th and 26th overall picks = 2500 points

1st round (4th overall) - Jake Matthews OT, Texas A&M

- I really don't think anyone would be shocked if Matthews ended up in St. Louis. There's a lot that point in that direction. We could plug him in at Guard for NEXT season and eventually slide him into a Tackle position where I see him being a future 8-10x pro bowl. I do believe Matthews can play anywhere on the Offensive Line and I'm not saying we are going to waste a #2 selection on a Guard, no not at all, I'm just saying we should play him at guard next year, unless we get a great guard via free agency.

1st round (13th overall) - Khalil Mack LB, Buffalo

- I realize that Mack could very well be a top 8 selection. But for my mock's sake, I'll have him "falling" to us at #13. I believe the Rams with the hiring of Williams are going to go back to a more traditional 4-3 look and stay away from all the Nickel packages they ran last year. Williams loves to bring the heat and Mack is an athletic monster who can certainly get after the Quarterback.

1st round (26th overall) - Jordan Matthews WR, Vanderbilt

- I'd rather develop to many good receivers rather than a few years from now find out we have Tavon and no one behind him. I think Stedman is going to progress nicely and I still feel that people are giving up to soon on Brian Quick, but I do feel like this is a make or break year for some of these guys.

2nd round - Stephon Tuitt DT, Notre Dame

- Tuitt can play anywhere on the Rams line. Langford is a possible cut casualty and even if he's not, we need to beef up our front 7 if we're going to be competitive in this division.

3rd round - EJ Gaines CB, Missouri

- Gaines is my favorite prospect in the entire draft. Just getting that out of the way right now for those that didn't already know. I think he's on par with the best Corners in this class and should be given a first round grade. I think once the Combine gets here and once more and more tape gets out on him, people will see the talent of this kid.

4th round - David Fales QB, San Jose State

- I'm beginning to come around on Fales a tad, I still don't like him as much as some others seem to, but he could fit our offensive scheme rather nicely. I think the Rams need to come out of this draft with a better backup option than Kellen Clemens, who outperformed everyones expectations this season.

5th round- James Wilder Jr. RB, Florida State

- Depth draft pick. I think Pead and Richardson are potential cuts during preseason and Wilder has a crapload of potential. Never really developed at FSU into what everyone thought he was going to be, could be one of those cases where the player ends up having a better pro career than he did collegiate.

Last 2 picks later. I'm tired lol
Old 02-26-2014, 06:02 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

How's everyone feeling after the Combine? I don't think it changed my mind very much on my preferred first round strategy.

Give me Matthews/Robinson with the first 1st rounder (after a small trade down would be ideal), then best DB/WR on the board with the second 1st rounder (again, open to a small trade down here as well).
Old 02-27-2014, 01:22 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
How's everyone feeling after the Combine? I don't think it changed my mind very much on my preferred first round strategy.

Give me Matthews/Robinson with the first 1st rounder (after a small trade down would be ideal), then best DB/WR on the board with the second 1st rounder (again, open to a small trade down here as well).

I'm on the Clowney bandwagon. I think I would actually prefer to stay at #2 and #13, maybe trade #13 and get extra picks if the guy your targeting at that spot is gone.

But it all depends what Saffold does, if he leaves than Robinson/Matthews value would probably be enough for me to select either one over Clowney. In which case I think I'd still take Matthews, I think he's as close to a sure thing as it gets.

I don't think people understand how awesome this class is. I think a lot of Rams fans have us trading the pick because they like the idea of having extra picks. two 1st rounders, two top 15 picks in this draft is going to get us two elite players.

Last edited by holt_bruce81 : 02-27-2014 at 01:25 AM.
holt_bruce81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:20 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

If we were to restructure Finnegan's contract, and then select a CB in the first round, Can Trumaine play Safety?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:58 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Cuts:
1. Harvey Dahl OG
2. Scott Wells C
3. Daryl Richardson RB
4. Austin Pettis WR

Resignings/Restructures
1. Rodger Saffold OG
2. Cortland Finnegan CB
3. Kendall Langford DT
4. Jo-Lonn Dunbar LB
5. Kellen Clemens QB
6. Shelley Smith OG

Free Agency signings:
1. Malcolm Jenkins FS

2014 NFL Draft:
*Trade with Cleveland and get picks #4 and #26.

I keep going back and forth on who I want, Matthews or Robinson. I really like them both and don't think you can go wrong with either player. Plug Jake in at Guard from day one this season and finally solidify the Offensive Line "Why would the Rams draft a guard at number 4? that's dumb" is a conversation I've had in the past....I'm not saying Matthews is a Guard, I know his future is at Left Tackle, and hopefully a All-Pro one at that, but for this season, he needs to play Guard, and I've read enough peoples opinions on Jake and they all seem to think he won't have a problem kicking inside.

*Rams trade first rounder (13th overall) and 3rd rounder (75th overall) to the Vikings for their first rounder (8th overall)

8th overall = 1,400 points
13th and 75th overall = 1,365 points

- Snead has proven he'll do anything to better this team so he pulls the trigger to jump up a few spots to get their guy. The top three Quarterbacks are off the board for the Vikings so they decide to collect more picks in a trade back, they can still get one of the top Defensive Players on the board at pick #13.

1st round (8th overall) - Mike Evans WR, Texas A&M

- I was going to have Evans fall to us at pick #13, but now I think that would be unrealistic. Evans' major question mark was his speed, and he passed that test with flying colors with a 4.47 unofficial forty (which is the only time that really matters, right jrry ) I think there are many teams in the top 12 that would be more than happy to land him. Buffalo at 9, Detroit at 10, Tennessee at 11 and New York at 12 could all use a Wide Receiver. The Rams double-dip in Aggie Land and draft a Receiver who'll complement the other receivers on the team tremendously.

1st round (26th overall) - Ra'shede Hageman DT, Minnesota

- Hangeman provides us with great depth on the defensive line, something great teams always seem to have. I hear all the time that he's just a workout warrior and everyone was expecting him to do well at the combine, which he did. Hopefully Waufle can get his hands on the kid and mold him into the player he has the potential of being.

2nd round (44th overall) - Kyle Fuller CB, Virginia Tech

- I think with Fisher taking over the playcalling duties this year our secondary will be light years better than what it was last year. That said, we still need depth at that position especially with the uncertainty of Finnegan and whether or not he can comeback and play at a high level.

4th round (106th overall) - Joel Bitonio OT, Nevada

- Bitonio might go down the same path as 2013 4th rounder and use his rookie season as a redshirt. But I think the Rams could plug him in at guard whenever the time comes, whether that be this year or next.

5th round (141st overall) - Colt Lyerla TE, Oregon

- Boom or bust type prospect, Coach Fisher hasn't shied away from them in the past, so I wouldn't expect him to this year.

6th round (172nd overall) - Isaiah Crowell RB, Alabama State
6th round comp selection - Logan Thomas QB, Virginia Tech
7th round (203rd overall) - Boseko Lokombo LB, Oregon
7th round comp. selection - Bryn Renner QB, North Carolina

Depth Chart
QB: Sam Bradford - Kellen Clemens - Bryn Renner
RB: Zac Stacy - Bennie Cunningham - Isaiah Pead
FB: Corey Harkey
WR: Mike Evans - Stedman Bailey - Tavon Austin - Chris Givens - Brian Quick
TE: Jared Cook - Lance Kendricks - Colt Lyerla
LT: Jake Long
LG: Jake Matthews - Shelley Smith
OC: Barrett Jones - Tim Barnes
RG: Rodger Saffold - Brandon Washington
RT: Joe Barksdale - Joel Bitonio

LDE: Chris Long - William Hayes - Sammy Brown
LDT: Kendall Langford - Ra'shede Hageman
RDT Michael Brockers - Jermelle Cudjo
RDE: Robert Quinn - Eugene Sims
ROLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar - Daren Bates
MLB: James Laurinaitis
LOLB: Alec Ogletree - Ray Ray Armstrong - Boseko Lokombo
LCB: Trumaine Johnson - Cortland Finnegan
RCB: Janoris Jenkins - Kyle Fuller - Brandon Mcgee
FS Malcolm Jenkins - Rodney Mcleod
SS: TJ Mcdonald - Darian Stewart

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
Old 03-05-2014, 06:13 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Cortland has been released.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:26 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Wonder if Dahl is going to be next.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:53 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Wonder if Dahl is going to be next.
He should be. I think the writing is on the wall with him.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Cuts:
1. Harvey Dahl OG
2. Scott Wells C
3. Daryl Richardson RB
4. Austin Pettis WR

Resignings/Restructures
1. Rodger Saffold OG
2. Cortland Finnegan CB
3. Kendall Langford DT
4. Jo-Lonn Dunbar LB
5. Kellen Clemens QB
6. Shelley Smith OG

Free Agency signings:
1. Malcolm Jenkins FS

2014 NFL Draft:
*Trade with Cleveland and get picks #4 and #26.

I keep going back and forth on who I want, Matthews or Robinson. I really like them both and don't think you can go wrong with either player. Plug Jake in at Guard from day one this season and finally solidify the Offensive Line "Why would the Rams draft a guard at number 4? that's dumb" is a conversation I've had in the past....I'm not saying Matthews is a Guard, I know his future is at Left Tackle, and hopefully a All-Pro one at that, but for this season, he needs to play Guard, and I've read enough peoples opinions on Jake and they all seem to think he won't have a problem kicking inside.

*Rams trade first rounder (13th overall) and 3rd rounder (75th overall) to the Vikings for their first rounder (8th overall)

8th overall = 1,400 points
13th and 75th overall = 1,365 points

- Snead has proven he'll do anything to better this team so he pulls the trigger to jump up a few spots to get their guy. The top three Quarterbacks are off the board for the Vikings so they decide to collect more picks in a trade back, they can still get one of the top Defensive Players on the board at pick #13.

1st round (8th overall) - Mike Evans WR, Texas A&M

- I was going to have Evans fall to us at pick #13, but now I think that would be unrealistic. Evans' major question mark was his speed, and he passed that test with flying colors with a 4.47 unofficial forty (which is the only time that really matters, right jrry ) I think there are many teams in the top 12 that would be more than happy to land him. Buffalo at 9, Detroit at 10, Tennessee at 11 and New York at 12 could all use a Wide Receiver. The Rams double-dip in Aggie Land and draft a Receiver who'll complement the other receivers on the team tremendously.

1st round (26th overall) - Ra'shede Hageman DT, Minnesota

- Hangeman provides us with great depth on the defensive line, something great teams always seem to have. I hear all the time that he's just a workout warrior and everyone was expecting him to do well at the combine, which he did. Hopefully Waufle can get his hands on the kid and mold him into the player he has the potential of being.

2nd round (44th overall) - Kyle Fuller CB, Virginia Tech

- I think with Fisher taking over the playcalling duties this year our secondary will be light years better than what it was last year. That said, we still need depth at that position especially with the uncertainty of Finnegan and whether or not he can comeback and play at a high level.

4th round (106th overall) - Joel Bitonio OT, Nevada

- Bitonio might go down the same path as 2013 4th rounder and use his rookie season as a redshirt. But I think the Rams could plug him in at guard whenever the time comes, whether that be this year or next.

5th round (141st overall) - Colt Lyerla TE, Oregon

- Boom or bust type prospect, Coach Fisher hasn't shied away from them in the past, so I wouldn't expect him to this year.

6th round (172nd overall) - Isaiah Crowell RB, Alabama State
6th round comp selection - Logan Thomas QB, Virginia Tech
7th round (203rd overall) - Boseko Lokombo LB, Oregon
7th round comp. selection - Bryn Renner QB, North Carolina

Depth Chart
QB: Sam Bradford - Kellen Clemens - Bryn Renner
RB: Zac Stacy - Bennie Cunningham - Isaiah Pead
FB: Corey Harkey
WR: Mike Evans - Stedman Bailey - Tavon Austin - Chris Givens - Brian Quick
TE: Jared Cook - Lance Kendricks - Colt Lyerla
LT: Jake Long
LG: Jake Matthews - Shelley Smith
OC: Barrett Jones - Tim Barnes
RG: Rodger Saffold - Brandon Washington
RT: Joe Barksdale - Joel Bitonio

LDE: Chris Long - William Hayes - Sammy Brown
LDT: Kendall Langford - Ra'shede Hageman
RDT Michael Brockers - Jermelle Cudjo
RDE: Robert Quinn - Eugene Sims
ROLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar - Daren Bates
MLB: James Laurinaitis
LOLB: Alec Ogletree - Ray Ray Armstrong - Boseko Lokombo
LCB: Trumaine Johnson - Cortland Finnegan
RCB: Janoris Jenkins - Kyle Fuller - Brandon Mcgee
FS Malcolm Jenkins - Rodney Mcleod
SS: TJ Mcdonald - Darian Stewart

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
This is a pretty good draft, though I think the Rams would be rather lucky to see Fuller there in the second round and Bitonio there in the fourth. I think Joel could be a Day Two selection, and I have Fuller sneaking into the first round.

I don't mind the trade up for Evans if you think he's going to become that dominating #1 type of guy.

I think both Wells and Dahl only become expendable if Saffold is back. If Rodger leaves, then I think you have to keep one just for the sake of having at least one familiar, experienced presence on the interior from last year. Of the two, I'd keep Wells. But since you have Saffold coming back, I think there's a better case for both to be expendable.

I like the Malcolm Jenkins signing. He shouldn't command too much money, and he has experience in the system and with Greg Williams.

I am a bit nervous about whether or not Barrett Jones is ready to take over the starting center role. We'll find out!