Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:52 AM    (permalink
PapaBearHalas

Devin will probably be used on 2-5 offensive plays per game (and that may be generous).

Generally I am not a fan of gimmick players, but in this case I like the idea of using him on a quick slant or end-around from time to time. Anyway, from everything I hear the guy cannot play WR and we know he can't play DB; last year Torry Holt made a post-game comment about grinning when he saw Hester lined up on him. Obviously, Holt has made quite a few guys look bad, but given that Holt is not a big talker I thought the comment was interesting.

He caught a TD on that play.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:54 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For every Devin Hester, there's a Desmond Howard or Matt Jones who are drafted on atheticism, then can't really cope due to injury, lack of football ability, or opponent adjustments. Hester's rookie season was special, but I still maintain he will have to learn to play either CB or WR to really justify his draft status.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:33 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
For every Devin Hester, there's a Desmond Howard or Matt Jones who are drafted on atheticism, then can't really cope due to injury, lack of football ability, or opponent adjustments. Hester's rookie season was special, but I still maintain he will have to learn to play either CB or WR to really justify his draft status.
He's already justified his draft status. He was a late-2nd rounder. If he only touches the ball 7-8 times a game on special teams he's worth it.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He has to do it year in and year out to justify it. 1 good year does not mean he'll automatically repeat. He has to prove himself the next 2 years to justify his pick status IMO. That goes for every pick, though. I'm not singling out Hester. As far as I'm concerned, Winston Justice has to be a starter for 3 years to justify his status.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 04-05-2007, 01:00 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He has to do it year in and year out to justify it. 1 good year does not mean he'll automatically repeat. He has to prove himself the next 2 years to justify his pick status IMO. That goes for every pick, though. I'm not singling out Hester. As far as I'm concerned, Winston Justice has to be a starter for 3 years to justify his status.
Im still pissed that we passed up on Justice. You guys got a steal imo. Damn, we could sure use a LT right about now. Thanks alot Accorsi...
Old 04-05-2007, 01:06 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Justice had some character concerns, but they were minor enough if the Eagles moved up to get him. The Giants probably would have taken Justice in the second if he had fallen to them. The Eagles slid up to nab him early second round, well before the Giants picked. Justice has actual ability, but William Thomas and John Runyan will start next season. I figure Runyan is gone after that, and Thomas could follow him out the door. It is always possible that Justice could win that job in training camp, meaning Thomas would be cut.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:07 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man I wish Justice was in Miami. :(

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:09 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Justice visited some friends in Miami. Does that help?

Old 04-05-2007, 01:10 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I think everyone does. I'd take him over Danieal Manning in a heartbeat.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Justice had some character concerns, but they were minor enough if the Eagles moved up to get him. The Giants probably would have taken Justice in the second if he had fallen to them. The Eagles slid up to nab him early second round, well before the Giants picked. Justice has actual ability, but William Thomas and John Runyan will start next season. I figure Runyan is gone after that, and Thomas could follow him out the door. It is always possible that Justice could win that job in training camp, meaning Thomas would be cut.
Justice looked real good in PS. I was very shocked when we passed up on him for Kiwanuka. I felt like the Jets fans in the jets draft blunders youtube clip.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:12 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

To be fair, Kiwi had a pretty good rookie season. He came in handy with the injuries, and the OLine was decent at the OT spot until the injury bug hit hard. If the Giants had passed on Kiwi, the Eagles may have pounced on him. Is that what you would've wanted?

Old 04-05-2007, 01:15 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

playing Hester as CB is possibly the worst idea ever...he was awful at corner in college but looked good sometimes because competition wasn't NFL caliber..he played a nickel or dime CB last season once or twice and just looked lost and horrible...if we want him on the field more we should try him at WR, but he would prolly split time with Davis for the 3rd WR and most likely we will only use him for screens, reverses, and just throwing deep
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:22 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
To be fair, Kiwi had a pretty good rookie season. He came in handy with the injuries, and the OLine was decent at the OT spot until the injury bug hit hard. If the Giants had passed on Kiwi, the Eagles may have pounced on him. Is that what you would've wanted?
To be honest, I think Kiwi's rookie year is a little exaggerated. He didn't create many hurries, only 2 sacks, and was average against the run. Had a great PS, but in the regular season he was grossly outperformed by Mark Andersen and Tamba Hali as a pure DE.

His best attributes his rookie year to me honestly were his ability in coverage and rushing the passer standing up. I think Kiwi is better suited as a rushbacker than a fulltime DE. Another reason why I hope we make the 3-4 switch.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:43 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
To be honest, I think Kiwi's rookie year is a little exaggerated. He didn't create many hurries, only 2 sacks, and was average against the run. Had a great PS, but in the regular season he was grossly outperformed by Mark Andersen and Tamba Hali as a pure DE.

His best attributes his rookie year to me honestly were his ability in coverage and rushing the passer standing up. I think Kiwi is better suited as a rushbacker than a fulltime DE. Another reason why I hope we make the 3-4 switch.
I actually think the credit he has received for his strong play was well deserved. Without him, I'm not sure we make the playoffs, actually I'm almost positive we don't make the playoffs. He passed an even healthy Justin Tuck in my eyes and the versatility he brought to this defense at 6'5-270 was huge. Yes he did have the two bonehead plays of the year against the Titans and Cowboys but he made up for it. He rushed the passer pretty well and it is odd to me that some Giants fans still underrate his ability to play the run. I was suprised to see him play the run the way he did, very impressed.

Now the question is, would I have rather taken Justice, which is who I wanted at the time because I viewed him as the second best offensive lineman in the draft. I'd have to lean towards yes because of our current LT situation but Kiwanuka's ceiling is so damn high and he could easily become a 10+sack per season kind of player no matter how we use him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
I actually think the credit he has received for his strong play was well deserved. Without him, I'm not sure we make the playoffs, actually I'm almost positive we don't make the playoffs. He passed an even healthy Justin Tuck in my eyes and the versatility he brought to this defense at 6'5-270 was huge. Yes he did have the two bonehead plays of the year against the Titans and Cowboys but he made up for it. He rushed the passer pretty well and it is odd to me that some Giants fans still underrate his ability to play the run. I was suprised to see him play the run the way he did, very impressed.

Now the question is, would I have rather taken Justice, which is who I wanted at the time because I viewed him as the second best offensive lineman in the draft. I'd have to lean towards yes because of our current LT situation but Kiwanuka's ceiling is so damn high and he could easily become a 10+sack per season kind of player no matter how we use him.

He was better against the run then I initially thought yes. I thought he woudl be horrible against it, when in fact he was ok.

But, contrarily, he wasn't as good of a pass rusher as we hoped his rookie year. He was a one trick pony with no strength to back up his edge rush.

He was a great pickup, and I think he has a higher ceiling than Osi, so Im not mad with the pick. I also agree that we dont make the playoffs without him.

But as far as need is concerned, I think we shouldve went Justice. Its much harder finding a LT in the draft compared to a DE. For every top LT, theres 2 to 3 DEs available. Its just harder finding a LT. When you get a LT fall to your lap, you take him.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know if it has been said, but hester will have a 100 speed in madden. He is the first ever player to have a 100 speed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames...ory?id=2826180
Old 04-05-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Which is funny cause he doesn't have blazing speed (very fast, but not the fastest in the league), he just has tremendous vision.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Which is funny cause he doesn't have blazing speed, he just has tremendous vision.
Great burst and great vision is all you need. Hester has it.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:35 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Watching Hester in HD a lot this year, he gets up to full speed very quickly, probably within 2-3 steps. That acceleration + his vision makes a lot of these plays happen. Luck has something to do with it as well.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:37 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Um, he does have blazing speed. 4.27 is pretty blazing, and he has "faster than the guy next to him speed" as well. After the year he had it seems right to give him 100 speed.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

The thing about Hester's speed is that he also plays at that speed. He will run and make cuts full speed using his top acceleration. Many other players cannot do that.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:05 PM    (permalink
mfkrush
Rookie

mfkrush hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post
I think they would rather work him at CB to hae good depth rather than just save him for "trick" or "gadget" plays every once-and-awhile on offense. Maybe slip in a play for him on offense a few times a year, but if they want him to be something long-term they should keep him at CB.
What makes you think they won't keep him at CB? They are just talking about putting him in some on Offense. That doesn't mean they'll completely never put him on Defense again. Also if they decided to do that, I think all Bear fans would be fine with it. It gives him that much more of a risk to get hurt. Plus he isn't even that good of a CB. Torry Holt made him look foolish last year near the goalline.
mfkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:07 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfkrush View Post
What makes you think they won't keep him at CB? They are just talking about putting him in some on Offense. That doesn't mean they'll completely never put him on Defense again. Also if they decided to do that, I think all Bear fans would be fine with it. It gives him that much more of a risk to get hurt. Plus he isn't even that good of a CB. Torry Holt made him look foolish last year near the goalline.
Torry Holt makes a lot of CBs look foolish.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:08 PM    (permalink
mfkrush
Rookie

mfkrush hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodachu View Post
Torry Holt makes a lot of CBs look foolish.
That may be true, but no CB should ever be that far away from a WR after a single head move.
mfkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:08 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Um, he does have blazing speed. 4.27 is pretty blazing, and he has "faster than the guy next to him speed" as well. After the year he had it seems right to give him 100 speed.
I thought he ran much slower than that. Was that at his proday?