Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 10-09-2013, 07:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default FSU Safeties: LaMarcus Joyner & Terrence Brooks

What do you guys think of these guys? Can anybody give scouting reports on them? I know we got a bunch of FSU guys here.

LaMarcus Joyner - 5'8, 190

Terrence Brooks - 5'11, 200

D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:01 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Joiner actually 190? He looks much closer to 170 for me.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:55 PM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
Is Joiner actually 190? He looks much closer to 170 for me.
He's pretty thick, built very well for sure. Was probably over 200 last year. Lighter this year because he's playing corner.

Anyways, Joyner is playing corner this year so we will have to see how he looks. Has looked pretty good so far, particularly in the slot where he can help in run support and blitz. He is a great all around athlete, plays with intensity, and could literally play almost any position. I think he's more of a natural safety, but can probably play both in the pros.

Brooks is a solid all around safety, disappointed me a bit last year, but has played quite well this year. Not a standout prospect at this point though.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They seem a little undersized for safeties. Never seen them play so I can't comment further.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:43 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Based on his size alone I question whether he can play safety in the NFL. He was originally a CB coming out of high school and was a good one too, but when he went to FSU he eventually switched to safety. I'm interested to see how tall he is come combine time. I saw him play when he was in high school in person and the one thing I remember about him was that he was ridiculously fast. That being said, I wonder if he can make it in the NFL. I mean how many 5'8 guys are there playing in NFL secondaries. Bob Sanders is one of the few guys I can think of, but he's not in the league now.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:02 PM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
Based on his size alone I question whether he can play safety in the NFL. He was originally a CB coming out of high school and was a good one too, but when he went to FSU he eventually switched to safety. I'm interested to see how tall he is come combine time. I saw him play when he was in high school in person and the one thing I remember about him was that he was ridiculously fast. That being said, I wonder if he can make it in the NFL. I mean how many 5'8 guys are there playing in NFL secondaries. Bob Sanders is one of the few guys I can think of, but he's not in the league now.
He was actually a Safety in high school, as well as a WR. He was listed as a CB as a recruit, and played CB as a freshmen due to his size and people thinking that would be his eventual position. But his playing style and instincts are all safety. Obviously the size issue is the big one with him, so it depends on how much of a value you put on that.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think teams will fall in love with Joyner because of his versatility. Especially a creative DC.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:59 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyCHRIST View Post
He was actually a Safety in high school, as well as a WR. He was listed as a CB as a recruit, and played CB as a freshmen due to his size and people thinking that would be his eventual position. But his playing style and instincts are all safety. Obviously the size issue is the big one with him, so it depends on how much of a value you put on that.
Yeah the game I saw him in he was playing WR, but most guys who are as fast as him play both ways in HS. I thought because of his height he was going to have to play CB for sure in college.

Last edited by Jcn92 : 10-21-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Jcn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Lamarcus Joyner can do anything.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Joyner gets drafted as a slot guy rather than safety. As I've said numerous times, his game is very similar to Mathieu's.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ummmm Joyner is playing corner this year and I feel he will be a corner in the NFL as well. Kid is a stud and should be a 1st round pick, rarely find little corners as strong as he is and having the ability to be such a huge hitter. Great looking prospect with rare ability for his size.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Anotoine Winfield comparison work for you guys? That's who I have on my mind.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:49 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I don't know that he has the same coverage skills at this point that Winfield did at Ohio State. He is a tremendous player who some say is one of the best ever from South Florida. If he was even 5'10 he'd be a lock for the First Round, but at 5'8 it will be questioned if he can cover NFL WRs.

He isn't returning kicks this year, but in the past has been responsible for two game changing kick returns against Notre Dame and Clemson so he adds that extra bit of value.

With the evolving offenses in the NFL forcing defenses to have to increase their speed and athleticism to cover more of the field he becomes a tremendously valuable commodity. I think in the NFL he will specialize in covering the slot receiver, so I guess he'd be a Nickleback, but that seems to cheapen the contribution he can provide. He is an nontraditional player who will play a nontraditional role in the NFL. I see him maybe going in the late first round to a team that can be more risky with trying to add a dynamic play maker. I don't see him going much lower than 50th overall.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:53 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Terrence Brooks is a solid player who will definitely have a role in the NFL. He doesn't do anything spectacular but also doesn't make a lot of mistakes either (notable exception was DeAndre Hopkins TD catch in the 2012 game). I could see him going as high as the 5th to undrafted. It will help him a lot to have film in two entirely different systems and showing how quickly he can adapt. That was a big question for me about him going into the season going from Stoops' more conservative scheme to Pruitt's aggressive scheme and he has exceeded my expectations.

Florida State probably has a third safety prospect in the NFL in Telvin Smith.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:46 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joyner is a playmaker. I think some team will find great use in him playing him as a nickel corner, especially with slot receivers being so difficult to cover now a days.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:52 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ray Mickens (Former Jets nickel corner)?

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:23 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
Terrence Brooks is a solid player who will definitely have a role in the NFL. He doesn't do anything spectacular but also doesn't make a lot of mistakes either (notable exception was DeAndre Hopkins TD catch in the 2012 game). I could see him going as high as the 5th to undrafted. It will help him a lot to have film in two entirely different systems and showing how quickly he can adapt. That was a big question for me about him going into the season going from Stoops' more conservative scheme to Pruitt's aggressive scheme and he has exceeded my expectations.

Florida State probably has a third safety prospect in the NFL in Telvin Smith.
Brooks is going to go a lot higher than originally projected here.

Alabama’s Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Louisville’s Calvin Pryor are widely considered the top two safeties — and real possibilities to Green Bay at No. 21 overall.

Brooks believes his name should be right there with those two.

“Definitely I feel like I’m the best safety,” Brooks said. “I’m not going to stop until I prove that. A lot people don’t think that now, but they’ll catch on soon.”

These pre-draft workouts are helping with that.

At 4.42 seconds, Brooks ran the fastest 40 at the NFL scouting combine. He also was tied for first in the vertical jump (38 inches) and fifth in the broad jump.
The knock on Brooks is size — he measured in at 5-foot-11, 198 pounds. But within a top defense, Brooks covered slot receivers, roamed the box and had decent range.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:34 AM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
I had him borderline 3rd/4th round - but Combine numbers pushed him up to a solid 3rd round. I like Dion Bailey better from tape (although slightly different skill set) but he ran poorly at the Combine. Certainly after the first two safeties I think there's a drop off (I'm not high on Ward) and Brooks should be in the mix of the second tier on day two.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:45 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want the Patriots to draft Brooks.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:13 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post

Alabama’s Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Louisville’s Calvin Pryor are widely considered the top two safeties — and real possibilities to Green Bay at No. 21 overall.

Brooks believes his name should be right there with those two.

“Definitely I feel like I’m the best safety,” Brooks said. “I’m not going to stop until I prove that. A lot people don’t think that now, but they’ll catch on soon.”

These pre-draft workouts are helping with that.

At 4.42 seconds, Brooks ran the fastest 40 at the NFL scouting combine. He also was tied for first in the vertical jump (38 inches) and fifth in the broad jump.
The knock on Brooks is size — he measured in at 5-foot-11, 198 pounds. But within a top defense, Brooks covered slot receivers, roamed the box and had decent range.
His Combine performance surprised me, but I stand by my original take. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but after watching him the past 3 years, there is nothing I saw that he does exceptionally well either. He could very well be a solid NFL starter, who adds a lot of value since he can slide into the NB position as well.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:18 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I crush on both
Old 03-31-2014, 02:25 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I crush on both
I second this.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:26 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joyner is very overrated and no where near as good as Matheiu. He can only play the slot and he doesn't have the quickness you want there.

Good college football player, but he's limited athletically even for special teams.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:07 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Except, he is about 2 tenths of a second slower than Winfield, which equates to about 6 feet behind a receiver with elite speed over 40 yards. No doubt, his physicality would lesson the separation but it would be scary on every deep pattern. I believe he would make an excellent Cover 2 CB, because they are rarely asked to cover man to man in that scheme.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Joyner is very overrated and no where near as good as Matheiu. He can only play the slot and he doesn't have the quickness you want there.

Good college football player, but he's limited athletically even for special teams.
I think he could do well in a Cover 2 scheme where his physicality would be a huge asset. In that scheme, he would rarely be asked to cover man to man.

I could see a Cover 2 team drafting him in round 2/3.