Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think anyone is actually arguing with him. Its just funny seeing how much of his life he devotes to being an awful troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
He didn't invite them in. It was on his driveway, remember?

He may love attention, but so what? How does that differ from most people? If you don't like attention, you probably wouldn't play football in the first place.

I'm not going to bash a guy for having a sense of humor about a media frenzy. I got a kick out of Charlie Sheen in 2011 (although he was egging it on) and I got a kick out of this incident.
I think there is a difference between liking attention and loving it though.

Personally I always loved the players that rarely gave the media the time of day like Sterling Sharpe or Gary Zimmerman.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 11-04-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:22 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He didn't invite them in. It was on his driveway, remember?

He may love attention, but so what? How does that differ from most people? If you don't like attention, you probably wouldn't play football in the first place.

I'm not going to bash a guy for having a sense of humor about a media frenzy. I got a kick out of Charlie Sheen in 2011 (although he was egging it on) and I got a kick out of this incident.
He literally started flexing his muscles for the media. The dude is an attention *****. You're right, it is his driveway. If he didn't want them there he would have told them to leave or ignored them. Instead he pops of his shirt and starts doing sit ups. He might as well have invited them. He wanted them there so he could be a little show off. The dude acts like a child. It would be a great sense of humor if he wasn't serious, just like you. This would all be funny if you weren't actually serious.

There is liking the attention and begging for it like TO does. He can't just shut up some time and has to make a show of it. He is always in the media because he puts himself there. If he didn't want such bad publicity he should have shut his mouth and keep his head down.

It's amazing for a guy who was so good on the field and so talented to be hated so much. He should be one of the biggest stars of the game but his attitudes and actions make it hard to like him. He is not a victim. He has brought most of the heat on himself. He makes people hesitate to put him put him in the HoF, which is insane for how good he was as a player. He was the 3rd best WR of his era, beyond Rice and Moss.

:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:33 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
He was the 3rd best WR of his era, beyond Rice and Moss.
I always thought Torry Holt was better, but that's just my subjective personal opinion.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:33 AM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I don't think anyone is actually arguing with him. Its just funny seeing how much of his life he devotes to being an awful troll.
This is true. It's amusing the things he puts together to argue back lol

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:04 AM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Pretty much. I think it is mildly interesting. Seeing him slip and dodge facts is fun. I know in my mind he will never break but I want to try. I don't think I can ever clear up his delusion. He took the time to create and host an ad free website about defending what ab obvious dick TO is.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 11-05-2013, 03:07 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He literally started flexing his muscles for the media. The dude is an attention *****. You're right, it is his driveway. If he didn't want them there he would have told them to leave or ignored them. Instead he pops of his shirt and starts doing sit ups. He might as well have invited them. He wanted them there so he could be a little show off. The dude acts like a child. It would be a great sense of humor if he wasn't serious, just like you. This would all be funny if you weren't actually serious.

There is liking the attention and begging for it like TO does. He can't just shut up some time and has to make a show of it. He is always in the media because he puts himself there. If he didn't want such bad publicity he should have shut his mouth and keep his head down.

It's amazing for a guy who was so good on the field and so talented to be hated so much. He should be one of the biggest stars of the game but his attitudes and actions make it hard to like him. He is not a victim. He has brought most of the heat on himself. He makes people hesitate to put him put him in the HoF, which is insane for how good he was as a player. He was the 3rd best WR of his era, beyond Rice and Moss.

This is why I always loved guys like Andre Johnson, Issac Bruce, Tim Brown, Marvin Harrison, or Rod Smith. They never really looked for the spotlight. I'm sure there were little things they might have said at one point in their careers (I remember Harrison apparently complained about not getting the ball enough one year for a short stint in 2003) but I don't recall ever anything outlandish, nor do I recall them ever looking for a mic to speak their mind. They just did their job and went about their business like it was nothing. They also stayed away from the on-field antics. The ironic thing in all of this is that during his first few seasons in SF, Owens was essentially a quiet guy.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 11-05-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:38 AM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I always thought Torry Holt was better, but that's just my subjective personal opinion.
Torry Holt better than Terrell Owens?
No way.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:58 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Speaking of WR in the mid to late 2000s it reminds me of all the times I tried to politely explain to steeler fans that Ward isnt a HOF player. Then seeing them lose it it was kinda funny
Old 11-05-2013, 12:21 PM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Speaking of WR in the mid to late 2000s it reminds me of all the times I tried to politely explain to steeler fans that Ward isnt a HOF player. Then seeing them lose it it was kinda funny
He is probably gonna make it too and there is no way he should. He is hall of very good and Steelers/popular. Great guy but there are tons of guys I take first.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 11-06-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
If it weren't so serious? What are you saying, that it's serious business that he's doing situps on his driveway? Class A felony? Driveway-cide?

And how do you know he wanted them there? This sounds like mind-reading to me. If he didn't invite them, there's no reason to believe he wanted them there. In fact, there are a couple of clips where he looks quite annoyed by their presence, including when he says, "ya'll are interrupting me."

Quote:
You're making the classic mistake here that so many who lack critical thinking skills make when analyzing something like this. You're mistaking the media's obsession for a celebrity, the media's chaotic reaction to a celebrity, for the celebrity himself being in a state of chaos.

These things that were considered such a big deal with him don't make the news if anyone else does them. Many other players have been suspended for a week during training camp, but there weren't helicopters flying over their houses. Many other players have shouted at coaches on the sidelines, but they didn't have a camera on them as they were doing it, and even if they did, they weren't excoriated for it. Well, until Dez Bryant, because they're looking for someone to take Owens's place to fill the "black WR villain" archetypal role and he's built up a little bit of a track record with some off-field incidents coming out of college. 78% of all athletes are either bankrupt or experiencing financial difficulty within 5 years of their last game, but they don't become the Poster Boy for "Broke Athletes." 41% of the children born in the United States are born out of wedlock, and the rate is likely higher among professional athletes (especially since most are black, and the rate rises to 72% among black Americans), but said athletes don't have people constantly bashing them for having kids out of wedlock. Other athletes don't have articles written about every house or apartment they sell. But Owens does.

What distinguishes Owens from other players is what he did in Dallas in September of 2000. I've provided documentation of the snowball effect, which you and others have chosen to conveniently ignore.

Quote:
And you have yet to make a single valid point defending your position that he brought it on himself.

I, on the other hand, have made numerous points you haven't been able to even scratch. Now why is that?

Last edited by JordanTaber : 11-06-2013 at 03:14 PM.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
The ironic thing in all of this is that during his first few seasons in SF, Owens was essentially a quiet guy.
I'm glad you actually noticed those old articles. The reason he had that reputation then is the media wasn't looking to attack him. He was on an even playing field with everyone else. Everything changed after the star celebrations. That was the genesis of everything to follow. When he was unapologetic for celebrations the media deemed "outrageous" and "offensive." When he was suspended for a week by Steve Mariucci in response to said celebrations. When he feuded with Mariucci because of being suspended for said celebrations.

That was why his reputation went from "consummate team player" to "arrogant, classless, selfish, prima donna." As a 49er fan, though you were young at the time, you should be able to grasp the process by which this occurred if you're objective and willing to reexamine everything. He didn't seek the microphone, the microphone sought him. And no matter what he did, be it refusing to talk to them, or doing his best to be politically correct - he was never going to be let off the hook.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:27 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderz4Life View Post
Why are you guys still arguing with him? He's trolling you so hard
Now see, this is the kind of post that normally would offend me. But in this instance, all it really does is underscore what an absolute moron you are. You are apparently so misguided, so delusional, and so arrogant that you can not even conceive of the possibility that you might be wrong about something you formed all your opinions about based on superficial (and often inaccurate or distorted) information.

In all sincerity, this is worse than the belief that the world was flat all those years ago. You formed your opinion on such shaky grounds and with such little thought, yet when someone provides irrefutable evidence to the contrary of your false belief, a belief you never actually gave much thought, you refuse to even acknowledge it. And it's clear you never gave it much thought - why would you? You're a Raiders fan. Not to mention, the very belief that someone who opposes the going anti-Owens rhetoric must be "trolling" establishes a severe lack of interest in the subject matter.

It's not the stupidity that bothers me as much as the arrogance. Where does someone like you, someone who clearly possesses no knowledge whatsoever on the subject, get off telling someone like me, an expert on the subject, that he doesn't know what he's talking about? I may have some misguided views on physics, but if Stephen Hawking tells me why I'm wrong through his electronic voice, I'm not about to accuse him of "trolling."

People like you are everything that's wrong with society. You hold our species back with your dogmatic stupidity. Simply put, you're a joke. A joke in the black comedy that is life.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:32 PM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

Quote:
I, on the other hand, have made numerous points you haven't been able to even scratch. Now why is that?
Cuz you crazy for TO.

I agree that TO is in the media was too much even still. No one gives a **** that he has a bunch of kids or is selling houses. What I don't agree is that tour assertion that TO has played no part in the media circus. He puts himself out there and actively participates.

After being suspended the smart thing to do is lay low and avoid talking to the media. Instead he goes outside and starts working out surrounded by the media. If he didn't want to be in the spot light he shouldn't keep jumping into it. He even did a reality show. And don't give me that wanting to act because his crummy reality show wasn't acting.

It doesn't take a mind reader to know that he wanted to be out there. If he didn't want to be surrounded by reports he wouldn't have gone outside and workout in front of them. His actions speak for themselves.

Yes the media jumps on TO stories because they are popular but TO still throws plenty of fuel on the fire. The guy either is blissfully stupid to not realize people will jump on some of the things he does or he knows what he is doing and just doesn't care.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 11-06-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

Quote:
Now see, this is the kind of post that normally would offend me. But in this instance, all it really does is underscore what an absolute moron you are. You are apparently so misguided, so delusional, and so arrogant that you can not even conceive of the possibility that you might be wrong about something you formed all your opinions about based on superficial (and often inaccurate or distorted) information.

In all sincerity, this is worse than the belief that the world was flat all those years ago. You formed your opinion on such shaky grounds and with such little thought, yet when someone provides irrefutable evidence to the contrary of your false belief, a belief you never actually gave much thought, you refuse to even acknowledge it. And it's clear you never gave it much thought - why would you? You're a Raiders fan. Not to mention, the very belief that someone who opposes the going anti-Owens rhetoric must be "trolling" establishes a severe lack of interest in the subject matter.

It's not the stupidity that bothers me as much as the arrogance. Where does someone like you, someone who clearly possesses no knowledge whatsoever on the subject, get off telling someone like me, an expert on the subject, that he doesn't know what he's talking about? I may have some misguided views on physics, but if Stephen Hawking tells me why I'm wrong through his electronic voice, I'm not about to accuse him of "trolling."

People like you are everything that's wrong with society. You hold our species back with your dogmatic stupidity. Simply put, you're a joke. A joke in the black comedy that is life.
Oh my god. I can't handle this post. The irony is causing my brain to skip. He is calling others delusional. Hrjdksnrbdkdncnnekejfbfjfjcnxjdbbskak x

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 11-06-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bradley McDougald claimed by the Bucs. Must suck to go from undefeated to defeated.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:06 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

>get into car accident
>fall into a coma
>wake up
>look around
>everything is teal and black
>nurse comes running in
>there's a giant J on her uniform
>ask why everything looks the way it does
>she tells me I'm in a Jaguar Hospital
>ask if she means the car company
>she tells me she means the football team
>ask how they own a hospital
>she tells me the Jaguars became a global entity, surpassing Google, Apple and Disney as the biggest corporation in the world
>ask how that's possible when they suck
>she tells me the Jags have won 25 straight Jag Bowls
>ask what a Jag Bowl is
>she tells me its what replaced the Super Bowl after the Jags won 12 straight of those
>ask how the other franchises in the NFL could lose to the Jags for 37 straight seasons
>she tells me the Jag Bowl is a game between the current Jaguars roster against cloned all-time NFL great teams and players
>ask if she's serious
>she tells me that the Jags recently beat the 1985 Bear-Niners (a hybrid of both teams that year), by a score of 68-0
>ask her who the Jags quarterback is
>she simply refers to him as The Chosen One
>ask what makes him so special
>she tells me The Chosen One threw a hail mary pass so perfect that it could be seen from every galaxy in the universe; helping establish world peace
>ask if we made first contact
>she tells me The Chosen One made first contact with alien lifeforms and made the Jaguars a intergalactic entity, complete with starships, bases, and facilities in every sector known to man
>ask for proof
>she opens the curtain and I see Earth in the distance; starships maneuver around us
>ask if The Chosen One is even human
>she tells me The Chosen One is actually 56 years old and hasn't missed a start since shortly after I went into a coma
>ask how this is possible
>she tells me he is cybernetically enhanced to physical perfection and hasn't thrown in an interception in over 20 years
>ask about The Chosen One's real name
>she tells me he used to be called Blaine Gabbert
>mfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

You know what makes this post better? Reading it in the voice and speech mannerisms of the Ultimate Warrior.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
You know what makes this post better? Reading it in the voice and speech mannerisms of the Ultimate Warrior.
I'm going to pretend Jordan Taber is Ultimate Warrior from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
I'm glad you actually noticed those old articles. The reason he had that reputation then is the media wasn't looking to attack him. He was on an even playing field with everyone else. Everything changed after the star celebrations. That was the genesis of everything to follow. When he was unapologetic for celebrations the media deemed "outrageous" and "offensive." When he was suspended for a week by Steve Mariucci in response to said celebrations. When he feuded with Mariucci because of being suspended for said celebrations.

That was why his reputation went from "consummate team player" to "arrogant, classless, selfish, prima donna." As a 49er fan, though you were young at the time, you should be able to grasp the process by which this occurred if you're objective and willing to reexamine everything. He didn't seek the microphone, the microphone sought him. And no matter what he did, be it refusing to talk to them, or doing his best to be politically correct - he was never going to be let off the hook.
Yes, we were both young at the time.

I remember Owens growing up even at a young age. Mostly thanks to the newspaper. I knew of Owens and he seemed fine before the 2000 incident in Dallas. Owens didn't have to keep sharing his opinions though if he felt the media was responsible for slandering his image. He should have just taken a page out of the Gary Zimmerman playbook and simply literally not say anything to a member of the media. Or just put a towel over his head like Sterling Sharpe used to do.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 11-06-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:27 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, we were both young at the time.

I remember Owens growing up even at a young age. Mostly thanks to the newspaper. I knew of Owens and he seemed fine before the 2000 incident in Dallas. Owens didn't have to keep sharing his opinions though if he felt the media was responsible for slandering his image. He should have just taken a page out of the Gary Zimmerman playbook and simply literally not say anything to a member of the media. Or just put a towel over his head like Sterling Sharpe used to do.
Once again, I direct your attention to the following:

http://www.ecphorizer.com/EPS/site_p...age=61&issue=9
Old 11-06-2013, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Once again, I direct your attention to the following:

http://www.ecphorizer.com/EPS/site_p...age=61&issue=9
Except the problem was Owens kept talking on occasion to the media and granting interviews.

Owens being silent one time isn't going to make the media go away. Owens being silent all the time (i.e. Zimmerman) that will make things a lot more difficult for them.

Quote:
Old 11-06-2013, 10:42 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Cuz you crazy for TO.

I agree that TO is in the media was too much even still. No one gives a **** that he has a bunch of kids or is selling houses. What I don't agree is that tour assertion that TO has played no part in the media circus. He puts himself out there and actively participates.
Oh, but they do. Tons of people talk about that stuff. It just underscores how out-of-control the media is when it comes to him.

Quote:
After being suspended the smart thing to do is lay low and avoid talking to the media. Instead he goes outside and starts working out surrounded by the media. If he didn't want to be in the spot light he shouldn't keep jumping into it. He even did a reality show. And don't give me that wanting to act because his crummy reality show wasn't acting.
Well first of all, "reality shows" are scripted. Ad-libbed, at the very least.

Nonetheless, you seem to be missing the point. Wanting to be in the spotlight is not an unusual attribute. The desire to be famous is present in the majority of humans. What differentiates Owens from the average person is the camera comes to him, and he doesn't need to do anything for that to happen. He'll be the first to admit he always liked the spotlight, but that's not an important distinction to make because it's a trait found in most people, especially in professional sports. Where people get confused is in thinking that Owens craves the spotlight so much that he had a "no publicity is bad publicity" motto. The belief that he was trying to cause controversy or somehow misbehaving to get attention. That's the opposite of the truth.

Owens was on a reality show, yes. And numerous athletes become talking heads after their careers are over. You're not complaining about how they're attention whores. They're on TV because they like to be in the spotlight, too. Sure, there's that added component of exposing too much of yourself to the public in that situation, but he's always had this misguided notion that if he opens himself up to something like that, people will see the real him, not the image the media created of him.

And you can bet your last dime that if Jerry Rice had been approached with the opportunity to be on a reality show, he would have accepted it yesterday. But nobody cares about Jerry Rice, so no show for him.

Quote:
It doesn't take a mind reader to know that he wanted to be out there. If he didn't want to be surrounded by reports he wouldn't have gone outside and workout in front of them. His actions speak for themselves.
He didn't go outside and work out in front of them. He was already outside and they gathered around him as he was outside. He was just playing basketball on his driveway. The only thing his actions suggest is he likes basketball.

Quote:
Yes the media jumps on TO stories because they are popular but TO still throws plenty of fuel on the fire. The guy either is blissfully stupid to not realize people will jump on some of the things he does or he knows what he is doing and just doesn't care.
I think you could also benefit from reading the article I posted for Ness to read. Owens never had any say in the matter after September 24, 2000. No matter what he did, he was going to be vilified. If Owens could go back and undo those celebrations, he'd be the model great receiver of his era.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:46 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Except the problem was Owens kept talking on occasion to the media and granting interviews.

Owens being silent one time isn't going to make the media go away. Owens being silent all the time (i.e. Zimmerman) that will make things a lot more difficult for them.
1. Players are required to make themselves available to the media or they will receive fines.

2. This would likely lead the media on a trip to anonymous source-ville. In the early 00s, it may not have caught on quite as much, but by the mid-00s...the HD era of ESPN...they'd do it themselves if they had to. Being mean to the media never did Barry Bonds any favors in the 90s/early 00s, though.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:50 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
1. Players are required to make themselves available to the media or they will receive fines.

2. This would likely lead the media on a trip to anonymous source-ville. In the early 00s, it may not have caught on quite as much, but by the mid-00s...the HD era of ESPN...they'd do it themselves if they had to. Being mean to the media never did Barry Bonds any favors in the 90s/early 00s, though.
This is true. But it depends what interviews are permissible. Owens didn't have to participate in all interviews that he in fact participated in or has granted. There are a lot of other players, "star" players, that have abided by these guidelines without being fined.

And you don't have to be mean to them. Bill Belicheck isn't mean to the media. He just gives off a stoic, emotionless persona and doesn't go into detail with the answers he gives. He's actually a master at dodging the media and knows exactly how to play the game. It's not that difficult to be PC with the media and/or keep the interviews and answers to questions at a premium.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 11-06-2013 at 10:52 PM.