Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 10-17-2013, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike's problem was never really his talent level though.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:04 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
Mike's problem was never really his talent level though.
No it was that Defensive Backs in the NFL couldn't be thrown around like rag dolls the way he did during an era of extremely poor Pac 10 defensive backs. Looking back at them now and seeing how they got their catches and yards, it's no surprised he and Rashaun Woods were such failures in the NFL.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
No it was that Defensive Backs in the NFL couldn't be thrown around like rag dolls the way he did during an era of extremely poor Pac 10 defensive backs. Looking back at them now and seeing how they got their catches and yards, it's no surprised he and Rashaun Woods were such failures in the NFL.
It also didn't help that he was never really in great shape in the NFL either.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I can find a play where Rod Owens burned the UNC defense (that had like 9 NFL players on it) for what, a 98 yard TD in 2009? Doesn't mean he has speed. Evans isn't slow, but I would be floored if he has anything close to Watkins' speed.

For some reason Evans reminds me a lot of Jonathan Baldwin, which doesn't really bode well for an NFL future.
That's a really poor argument. Very few receivers in general will have a time comparable to Watkins. You can't pick one of the fastest players in the nation as justification for why someone is else is too slow.

I think Evans is at least a solid 4.5 guy. Combined that with immense catching radius and great hands, he's almost unstoppable. Comparing him to any and every big receiver who didn't pan out is just lazy.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:34 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Put BMW in the league in 1990 and I wonder what he does. If he had been dedicated that is. He had a decent year with Seattle upon his short lived comeback.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:21 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I can find a play where Rod Owens burned the UNC defense (that had like 9 NFL players on it) for what, a 98 yard TD in 2009? Doesn't mean he has speed. Evans isn't slow, but I would be floored if he has anything close to Watkins' speed.

For some reason Evans reminds me a lot of Jonathan Baldwin, which doesn't really bode well for an NFL future.
Brandon Coleman is more like Baldwin.

The guy is 6'5" 225+. People don't understand you don't need to be fast at that size. Brandon Marshall is pretty slow. It's not like Marshall runs deep routes anyway. Evans might not separate, but he'll win contested balls most of the time.
norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:17 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Evans just like every other WR with his size has to do two things to make it in the NFL. 1. Keep his weight down. Can't get up into the 240's. 2. Getting in and out of his breaks. It's really hard for guy this big to drop down and explode out. So Hook, Dig's CB's can see coming from a mile away.

I like him as a player. I have him in the 25 to 35 range right now. That's with him running in the 4.55
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:34 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgsr View Post
Brandon Coleman is more like Baldwin.

The guy is 6'5" 225+. People don't understand you don't need to be fast at that size. Brandon Marshall is pretty slow. It's not like Marshall runs deep routes anyway. Evans might not separate, but he'll win contested balls most of the time.
But Marshall has always been very quick.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Mike Evans is going to end up being a really high pick. Like maybe top 5 once the whole draft process plays out. I think he's my favorite pick for the Seahawks right now, but I also don't think they're going to have a shot at him. He's really athletic. He's got the former-basketball player thing going for him, and it's really obvious watching him run downfield and get in a better position to out-jump the defender for it. He also has a good feel for the sideline and uses his feet well, and he does a good job of staying aware and coming back to the football for Johnny Manziel. He'd go great with Russell Wilson, and he'd be an upgrade over way-overpaid Sidney Rice.

He's good at picking up yards after the catch, and I think he compares favorably to Brandon Marshall in that regard. Often the very tall guys give up something in athleticism, but Evans doesn't. It's like a smaller, very athletic player has just been scaled up in size. He doesn't look like the fastest guy, but he routinely runs away from people and TA&M's website claims he ran a 4.54 in high school, so even if he's not in Calvin Johnson's class in that regard, I would be absolutely shocked if he ran slow at the combine. Right now I think I'd expect to see a 4.48 sort of showing.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 10-18-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:04 PM    (permalink
twiz
Veteran

twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The more I watch A&M, the more impressed I am with him, and the less I become of Manziel.
twiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Evans is a ******* boss. I love this kid.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:26 PM    (permalink
twiz
Veteran

twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
I think Mike Evans is going to end up being a really high pick. Like maybe top 5 once the whole draft process plays out. I think he's my favorite pick for the Seahawks right now, but I also don't think they're going to have a shot at him. He's really athletic. He's got the former-basketball player thing going for him, and it's really obvious watching him run downfield and get in a better position to out-jump the defender for it. He also has a good feel for the sideline and uses his feet well, and he does a good job of staying aware and coming back to the football for Johnny Manziel. He'd go great with Russell Wilson, and he'd be an upgrade over way-overpaid Sidney Rice.

He's good at picking up yards after the catch, and I think he compares favorably to Brandon Marshall in that regard. Often the very tall guys give up something in athleticism, but Evans doesn't. It's like a smaller, very athletic player has just been scaled up in size. He doesn't look like the fastest guy, but he routinely runs away from people and TA&M's website claims he ran a 4.54 in high school, so even if he's not in Calvin Johnson's class in that regard, I would be absolutely shocked if he ran slow at the combine. Right now I think I'd expect to see a 4.48 sort of showing.
Top 5 is possible, but it would probably take a big combine performance. Middle of the first is where I'd expect him right now.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Evans is pretty much Cam Newton's wet dream.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 10-19-2013, 06:30 PM    (permalink
twiz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
Every scrambler is going to beg for him. Newton, Pryor (if he's still the man in Oakland), Kaepernick, etc.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Dacitykats
Rookie

Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
this, x1000. at times he misses high, but it is not that hard to miss high with a 5'9 WR.a 6'5 WR would bring in those balls.
Dacitykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:58 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Evans looking ridiculous. I don't watch much college ball, but what other receivers are going to potentially be high end picks this year? And where does Mike Evans fit in that regard?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:04 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't really gotten a chance to watch much of Evans. He seems like he doesn't get much separation against better corners. Could be an issue against NFL coverage, no?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:58 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I haven't really gotten a chance to watch much of Evans. He seems like he doesn't get much separation against better corners. Could be an issue against NFL coverage, no?
I think he projects better as a WR/TE hybrid, ala Jimmy Graham. I'm not sure he's going to beat too many #1 corners but he'll be a matchup nightmare against most linebackers and safeties.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:09 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Receivers as big as Evans don't necessarily need to get that much separation, they just need to go up over guys and get the ball.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:30 AM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I think he projects better as a WR/TE hybrid, ala Jimmy Graham. I'm not sure he's going to beat too many #1 corners but he'll be a matchup nightmare against most linebackers and safeties.
Wasn't Marques Colston a hybrid or used like that by the Saints his first few years in the NFL?

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:59 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip View Post
Wasn't Marques Colston a hybrid or used like that by the Saints his first few years in the NFL?
Well Colston has technically been a slot throughout his career so really the difference between a big-bodied slot WR and a flex/joker/hybrid TE is really just semantics. Although we're never gonna see him (Evans) in the pros coming out of a 3 point stance so I'd be reluctant to label him a TE but again, semantics.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm with P-L, Evans runs away with guys at the college level but I don't expect him to blow away with his 40 time and more importantly, looks like he doesn't change direction all that well.

He looks physically dominant and guys have succeeded doing that in the league, but I think there's definitely questions about how he projects. If he goes to the right team/scheme though and answers those questions, I could see him being a monster though. Kind of fits the Colston big bodied slot role with more potential to get deep.

Last edited by derza222 : 10-20-2013 at 12:04 PM.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Receivers as big as Evans don't necessarily need to get that much separation, they just need to go up over guys and get the ball.
Going to agree with this, Evans' skillset is his ability to simply snatch the ball out of the air in places where no defender stands a chance.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 10-20-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
He doesn't look like the fastest guy, but he routinely runs away from people and TA&M's website claims he ran a 4.54 in high school, so even if he's not in Calvin Johnson's class in that regard, I would be absolutely shocked if he ran slow at the combine. Right now I think I'd expect to see a 4.48 sort of showing.
Never, ever use HS 40 times for reference.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:21 PM    (permalink
SF Dolphin Fan
Rookie

SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like him, but I think he's more of a mid to late 1st rounder. He is the type who is always open, though, because of his ability to win the jump ball. That's valuable. How well he runs at the combine will be crucial.
SF Dolphin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote