Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:31 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Your favorite 15 minutes of fame players.

There have been a lot of players in the NFL that have come out of obscurity and made an impressive career for themselves in the NFL. But this thread is regarding the ones that essentially came from nowhere and vanished after a very short and successful stint. Usually half a season. Guys that weren't necessarily drafted high and had high expectations. Who are some of the ones you thought were going to continue their success after that short spark of glory?

There are two I remember from 2004 off the Carolina Panthers. Nick Goings and Keary Colbert. Goings took over after Stephen Davis, Dashaun Foster, and Rod Smart got hurt and had a decent season. Steve Smith also got hurt that year and Kerry Colbert had over 700 yards as a rookie teaming up with Muhsin Muhammad. I thought Colbert would do something more down the line, but he never did.

There are others like Samkon Gado, Billy Volek, Curtis Duncan, Eric Johnson, Steve Slaton, Boo Williams, Bill Kenney, Mike Furrey, and of course everyone's favorite Tim Tebow.

It's difficult remembering many defensive players and offensive linemen off the top of my head. Maybe Barry Sims for the Raiders, but he played a while. I want to say Kendrell Bell as a defensive player for the Steelers, but I think he was a high end pick for the Steelers. Bruce Thorton was okay for the 49ers in 2005, but struggled a while later.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 10-23-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:37 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LeShon Johnson. For two weeks in 1996, he was the best RB in the NFL.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:53 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damon Huard for the Chiefs had a nice stint as the Chiefs starter in 2006. I think he filled in for Trent Green who got hurt that year and missed a few games.

Joe Gilliam had success with the Steelers before he apparently lost his job to Terry Bradshaw (whom he beat out in camp) because Chuck Noll suspected he was involved with drugs. Then again I heard he fell into drugs because of the pressures of his role in the NFL during those days, the media scrutiny of performing as a black NFL QB, and not getting another chance after being benched for Bradshaw who was playing inconsistently himself.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 10-23-2013 at 03:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:36 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Former Steelers RB Barry Foster was great....for a minute.
ATL RB Jamal 'dirtybird' Anderson.
Bills QB Frank Reich. Elvis Grbac. Don Majikowski(sp).

Dallas WR Austin Miles looked like a future top 5 WR for a season.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:00 AM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still have no idea what went wrong with Michael Clayton after his rookie season.

Steve Slaton comes to mind as well.

Oh, and Derek Anderson. Always Derek Anderson. For a minute there I was worried, that Cleveland might´ve had something going with him and Braylon Edwards.

Last edited by SunTzu_22 : 10-23-2013 at 04:08 AM.
SunTzu_22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:43 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clarence Moore.

Champ Bailey murdered my dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:52 AM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
Clarence Moore.

Champ Bailey murdered my dreams.
This x1000. Loved Clarence.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:06 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jason Pierre-Paul.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:21 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ricky Manning Jr. was the first name that popped in my head. Had that incredible playoff run in 03 where he had 3-4 picks, when he was really just a mediocre nickelback. Actually the Panthers had a lot of players like that. How about Jeff Otah? Had that 08 season where Carolina's running game was just steamrolling everyone behind him at RT. Had some injuries and then just like that he was finished.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:30 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
Ricky Manning Jr. was the first name that popped in my head. Had that incredible playoff run in 03 where he had 3-4 picks, when he was really just a mediocre nickelback. Actually the Panthers had a lot of players like that. How about Jeff Otah? Had that 08 season where Carolina's running game was just steamrolling everyone behind him at RT. Had some injuries and then just like that he was finished.
I had forgotten about Ricky-Manning Jr. That's a good one. Jeff Otah was a first round pick right?

Anyways, I remember Todd Collins actually had a good few games helping lead the Redskins into the playoffs in 2007. There is of course also Timmy Smith who had that one miracle game against the Broncos in the Super Bowl and was horrible after that and shortly out of the NFL. Still crazy how that happened. Like his deal with the devil expired. Another Redskin is Rod Gardner. I think expectations were pretty high for him though.

Can probably add Matt Flynn to this list. He'll have those two games to look back on where he actually looked legitimate.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 10-23-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:56 AM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Sims-Walker with the Jags might qualify.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:04 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

I thought DJ Hackett would amount to something. He left Seattle for Carolina and did nothing.

Anthony Wright I never thought would pan out, but he did have that one game against the Seahawks where he looked like a Hall of Fame quarterback.

Quote:
Old 10-23-2013, 06:05 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
Mike Sims-Walker with the Jags might qualify.
I think so. That's the funny thing about this. There are so many "Oh yeah WTF happened to him, he looked okay for a second" kind of guys.

Quote:
Old 10-23-2013, 06:44 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jason Garrett after the dismantling of the Packers on Turkey Day.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:47 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lord Anderson.

Tim Tebow.

Jerome Harrison.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:48 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

J.R. Redmond and Jermaine Wiggins. Both will always have a spot in the heart of Patriots fans, I was 11 years old at the time of that first Super Bowl run and I still remember those two being huge parts. Wiggins is a local guy to who still does a lot around here, he is still a fan favorite. Redmond came up huge on the last drive against the Rams.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Paging Dr. Gado

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:53 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Flynn
TimmG6376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:56 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
J.R. Redmond and Jermaine Wiggins. Both will always have a spot in the heart of Patriots fans, I was 11 years old at the time of that first Super Bowl run and I still remember those two being huge parts. Wiggins is a local guy to who still does a lot around here, he is still a fan favorite. Redmond came up huge on the last drive against the Rams.
I don't appreciate your oversight of RB of the future Mike Cloud.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:05 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I don't appreciate your oversight of RB of the future Mike Cloud.
You win. He is the ultimate 15 minutes of fame Patriots, Michael Bishop wants to throw is name into the hat too.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:05 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
You win. He is the ultimate 15 minutes of fame Patriots, Michael Bishop wants to throw is name into the hat too.
If he has a quarter of a brain he could have been a really good QB. I don't think I ever remember a QB with the athleticism and cannon for an arm that he had.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:19 AM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reuben Droughns!
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jake Delhomme (with the saints). thought he was our future.

Then Aaron Brooks happened.
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The answer is Tebow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:45 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Julius Jones had a few games back in 2004 and fans and media, including myself, were ready to put his name in the ring of honor.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote