Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:20 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about Lorenzo Neil at FB? Maybe he can give Hester a run for the money.
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can say that Vinatieri is a good kicker and all, but other kickers can do the same thing. He is very clutch, though. Other kickers have more physical ability. I admit that Vinatieri is the best, but it's not that clear cut.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
What about Lorenzo Neil at FB? Maybe he can give Hester a run for the money.
:) I said that one before, there are a couple other good FB's out there but I think the consensus among most NFL players and fans is that Neal is the best at the position.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
:) I said that one before, there are a couple other good FB's out there but I think the consensus among most NFL players and fans is that Neal is the best at the position.
Im starting to narrow it down between those 2.

Its gonna be a position where theres not much emphasis on quality play. Because theres less competition and a stud can outshine his peers by an appreciable margin.

So far I have it as Hester at 1, Lo at 2.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:27 PM    (permalink
frisby213
Rookie

frisby213 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

See, I still fail to hear anything about any of those DTs. I realize it's not the most glorified position, but it seems like there just isn't that much talent there. I looked at the stats at some of the guys you named and compared them to that of, say, Booger McFarland, or any other one....and they're all pretty much the same. Is there no dominant Sapp-esque player at that position now? Because it seems like there's not even one well known star there...
frisby213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisby213 View Post
See, I still fail to hear anything about any of those DTs. I realize it's not the most glorified position, but it seems like there just isn't that much talent there. I looked at the stats at some of the guys you named and compared them to that of, say, Booger McFarland, or any other one....and they're all pretty much the same. Is there no dominant Sapp-esque player at that position now? Because it seems like there's not even one well known star there...
Defensive tackles can rarely be differentiated by statistics. What the good ones do generally can't be measured by statistics.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Hester is great... I didn't think of him. I remove Reed, and add Hester.

Bailey and Hester are now my two. Urlacher is close, and easily would be if he was more of a "coach on the field".
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Im starting to narrow it down between those 2.

Its gonna be a position where theres not much emphasis on quality play. Because theres less competition and a stud can outshine his peers by an appreciable margin.

So far I have it as Hester at 1, Lo at 2.
I'd agree with Hester at one, and Lo at two. Hester is clearly (based on last season) the most impactful special teamer in the game. Loneal is best at the position, but there are a few younger guys who are starting to rise up and chip away at his lead in the position. If we're doin special teamers, can I make the jump to Bellichek as a coach? haha
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lorenzo Neal has been the FB for a littany of 1000 yard rushers. From 1997-2007, his RB's have rushed for 1000 yards.

1997: Adrian Murrell (1028)
1998: Warrick Dunn + Mike Allstott (1872)
1999: Eddie George (1304)
2000: Eddie George (1509)
2001: Corey Dillon (1315)
2002: Corey Dillon (1311)
2003: LaDanian Tomlinson (1645)
2004: LaDanian Tomlinson (1335)
2005: LaDanian Tomlinson (1462)
2006: LaDanian Tomlinson (1815)

Pretty damn impressive.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 04-05-2007, 02:31 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisby213 View Post
It's also hard to judge DT by the nature of the defense they are part of. A guy like Jamal Williams on SD is a 3-4 NT, so he's responsible for two gaps whereas some 4-3 DT don't have the same kind of responsibilities.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:33 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The truth is, every position has someone who's close to them. Every single position.

The only positions I can think of with a clearcut #1 who is lightyears ahead of his peers are Devin Hester for special teams (although you can make an argument that Pacman Jones was almost as good) and Vinitieri for kickers (throw Stover in the mix as his competition).
Which Running Back comes close to LaDainian Tomlinson. Since '02, there has been only one consistent player at the position. Meanwhile, Running Backs have come and gone at the elite level, LaDainian Tomlinson remains at the top.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Which Running Back comes close to LaDainian Tomlinson. Since '02, there has been only one consistent player at the position. Meanwhile, Running Backs have come and gone at the elite level, LaDainian Tomlinson remains at the top.
While I don't think Alexander is as good as LT, statistically (except for last year where he was injured), Alexander has been just as consistent.

edit* It's espeically hard to give LT the nod, when Alexander was the MVP last year.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The truth is, every position has someone who's close to them. Every single position.

The only positions I can think of with a clearcut #1 who is lightyears ahead of his peers are Devin Hester for special teams (although you can make an argument that Pacman Jones was almost as good) and Vinitieri for kickers (throw Stover in the mix as his competition).
the thing about Viniteri is he is they guy you want to kick the game winner. he has done it so many times that you just have confidence in him.

also i love stover, 3rd most accurate kicker in history IIRC (sorry homer comment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:35 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Just playing devil's advocate (because I'm a Charger fan I still feel LT is #1) but guys like Larry Johnson and Steven Jackson are clearly not as dominant as LT, but they aren't the same gap behind LT, as the next FB or KR is behind Loneal or Hester. Though I still feel LT has a place in this conversation.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:36 PM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i really feel that champ is far ahead the other corners. he is just so shut down.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 04-05-2007, 02:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
You can make an argument for LJ the past 2 years. I don't agree with it, but you can make an argument for it.

I dont think that the difference between LDT vs LJ is bigger than Hester vs everyone else. LDT is up there though. Probably like 4 on the list.

What about old man Jeff Feagles? He seems to be another guy who is light years ahead of the competition.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:37 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Is it possible that Walter Jones is now superior and very much far ahead at LT? Discuss...

Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Is it possible that Walter Jones is now superior and very much far ahead at LT? Discuss...
Na, he actually had a down year.

What about Jeff Feagles? He's so accurate with his directional punts, I never seen a punter outperform him the past 2 years.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

I gotta get going to take care of some things so I'll check back up on the thread later to see if anyone else had someone real good in mind, my top five though as of right now would be:

1. Devin Hester, KR
2. Lorenzo Neal, FB
3. Champ Bailey, CB
4. LaDainian Tomlinson, RB
5. Brian Urlacher, LB
Old 04-05-2007, 02:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Jeff Feagles *bump*
Old 04-05-2007, 02:45 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

So if Walter Jones had a down year, who stepped up to take his place as the best OT in the game? Do you put McNeill up there as a rookie?

Old 04-05-2007, 02:46 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hutchinson is lightyears better than any other guard in the NFL.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:48 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
So if Walter Jones had a down year, who stepped up to take his place as the best OT in the game? Do you put McNeill up there as a rookie?
It seems like a bunch of names get thrown into the same category. Jones, Pace, I liked Jamal Brown this year, McNeil did well, the guy from Cinncy (im forgetting his name right now).

Theres too many names that performed at a close level this past year.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:48 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
Hutchinson is lightyears better than any other guard in the NFL.
Wrong. Shawn Andrews, Chris Snee, Logan Mankins, and others would probably disagree with you.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:49 PM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

Quote:
Jeff Feagles *bump*
i dont pay enough attention to punting. if my team is punting im normally pissed at that point.

its hard to determine punters because they recieve little to no recognition.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy