Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Jomoz
Rookie

Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Is there a 4-3 DE you'd rather have for the next 5+ years than Robert Quinn?

Is there? If I were building a 4-3 defense right now, I think the first player I'd take is Robert Quinn of the Rams.

The kid is unbelievable. He has elite first step quickness, elite speed around the edge, and enough strength to mix in the bull-rush. On top of that he has a great motor.

The only other player I'd want in a 4-3 over Quinn is *maybe* JJ Watt to play DT or DE, but even at that I don't think Watt has Quinn's blinding athleticism and speed, and Quinn has the highest ceiling of any defensive player in the NFL right now.
Jomoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:44 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah he's purty good.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:02 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will take Clowney! No seriously I like Quinn a lot but I think I need to see another season or two before going out on a long term limb.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:19 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

'Highest ceiling of any defensive player in the NFL right now.'

Old 12-16-2013, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Jomoz
Rookie

Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

vs. Peterson - I think you always take the elite edge rusher over the elite CB.

vs. Miller - Great player as well but he can't play DE and he has shown some issues with maturity/substance abuse. I think Quinn can have more of an impact in his career potentially.

vs. Hardy - Hardy is a solid DE on a good defense, but has not shown the speed and ability that Quinn has.

vs. Wilkerson - Wilkerson is a 3-4 run-stuffing DE. He's an amazing run stuffer and a solid pass rusher, but this league is all about pass rush first and foremost. I'd take an elite pass rusher like Quinn over Wilkerson every day.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Jomoz
Rookie

vs. Peterson - I think you always take the elite edge rusher over the elite CB.

vs. Miller - Great player as well but he can't play DE and he has shown some issues with maturity/substance abuse. I think Quinn can have more of an impact in his career potentially.

vs. Kuechly - Hardy is a great MLB on a good defense, but MLB doesn't affect the passing game nearly as much as pass rushing DE

vs. Wilkerson - Wilkerson is a 3-4 run-stuffing DE. He's an amazing run stuffer and a solid pass rusher, but this league is all about pass rush first and foremost. I'd take an elite pass rusher like Quinn over Wilkerson every day.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:42 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd take a 12 sack two way player like Wilkerson any day over an 18 sack pass rusher like Quinn. I think players like Wilkerson make the players around them able to play more aggressively whereas a Quinn makes his own played play more conservatively.

That being said, the year 3 improvement of both of those guys is incredible. I'm hoping for the same from Chandler Jones.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:45 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jomoz, re-read your OP.

You said highest ceiling of any defensive player in the game, not highest ceiling of any DE or pass rusher in the game.

All those guys have HOF ceilings. Quinn isn't the only great young defender in the NFL.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:09 PM    (permalink
shipraider21
Rookie

shipraider21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shipraider21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shipraider21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shipraider21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shipraider21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shipraider21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shipraider21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shipraider21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shipraider21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shipraider21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shipraider21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

J. clowney
shipraider21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:16 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't care what defense I am building but for the next 5 years I am taking JJ Watt. Quinn is an awesome player but give me interior pressure every day over edge pressure.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:43 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What the hell happened to JPP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:46 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
Did you not here? He's not even as good as Brandon Graham!!!

Old 12-17-2013, 07:02 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Did you not here? He's not even as good as Brandon Graham!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Jomoz
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
Seems like he hasn't done anything outside of his one good year in 2011.

People are too quick to label players as the next big thing. Sometimes players just have a good year or two and never go on to repeat that performance.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:50 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

JPP is hurt. If can ever get back close to 90%, I think he re-establishes himself as one of the top pass rushers in the game.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've still got to go with Hardy, every defense needs a wizard.

In seriousness, I remember when we recruited Quinn out of high school, but dropped him because it appeared his career was probably over due to a tumor. And then that turned out to not be true, and he dominated at UNC instead.

There are a number of other defensive players I'd take over him, but he's certainly among the premier young pass rushers.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:41 PM    (permalink
broncosfan
Rookie

broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

J.J. Watt is the man you are looking for. He provides versatility, production and leadership along with the fact that he is 24. He affects the game in all the ways a defensive player can: gets tackles for loss, FF, blocks passes and gets tons of SACKS and pressure.
broncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:06 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chandler Jones.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jones doesnt get consistent pressure and disappears for too long of stretches in games. I like him, and think hes a good player but alot of sacks this year have been the result of coverage sacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:46 PM    (permalink
Jomoz
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
JPP is hurt. If can ever get back close to 90%, I think he re-establishes himself as one of the top pass rushers in the game.
He wasn't that great last year either. How long does it take for an injury to heal?

Sometimes players have one good year and then you don't hear a peep from them again. They're called "one year wonders". Happens all the time. Sometimes injuries are a part of that, sometimes they're not.

If Pierre Paul suffered an injury that saps him of his explosiveness and he never returns to the player he was in 2011, he won't be the first player or the last player to have a promising career derailed by injuries.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:15 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you call Watt a DE, I take him but he really is closer to a DT than a DE. He makes his plays inside. He is a true middle between the positions; he is strong enough to play the run but way too quick for interior guys to block him.

I might also consider Clowney as crazy as it sounds. He could bust horribly but his potential is as high as it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:50 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Justin Houston

/thread

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:45 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Jones doesnt get consistent pressure and disappears for too long of stretches in games. I like him, and think hes a good player but alot of sacks this year have been the result of coverage sacks.
I think Descendency was likely being facetious with saying Jones, however I think his improvement this year has been great and if he can build on that he could be on of the top DEs in the league.

The problem I have is what I saw of him in college has rung true in the pros. He doesn't have the ability to bend the corner as an end of the line player but gets his pressures and TFLs from using his length, strength and ability to disengage. I always thought he could make a great 5 technique and I now believe that even more.

That being said I am not sure there are many pure 43 DEs at this point in time who is a better run defender than Jones.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:28 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2nd in sacks (15.0)
1st in forced fumbles (7)
4th in fumble recoveries (2)
3rd in hits on the quarterback (20)
2nd in hurries on the quarterback (48)
1st in total quarterback disruptions (83)
4th overall among 4-3 defensive ends against the run.

Did anyone see his Forced Fumble this week versus the Saints? He's been unblockable this year. I'm kind of hoping the Rams take Clowney because that's gonna be a fun D-Line to watch.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:16 AM    (permalink
ramsrule
Rookie

ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think I would take Clowney if I am the Rams. I would trade down again if possible and take a O-lineman, db, or DT. However, if someone out there warrants the number two or three overall pick, then I would stay put.
ramsrule is offline   Reply With Quote