Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 12-20-2013, 05:56 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2014 Colts FA/Draft/Offseason

I thought it might be a good idea to go ahead and get this ball rolling.

RB
Ahmad Bradshaw
Donald Brown
Tashard Choice

WR
Darrius Heyward-Bey

OT
Jeff Linkenbach

OG
Mike McGlynn

DL
Aubrayo Franklin
Ricardo Mathews
Fili Moala
Lawrence Sidbury

LB
Pat Angerer
Kavell Conner (RFA)
Darin Drakeford
Justin Hickman (ERFA)
Cam Johnson (ERFA)
Scott Lutrus (RFA)

CB
Vontae Davis
Josh Gordy (RFA)
Cassius Vaughn

FS
Antoine Bethea
Sergio Brown

K
Vinitieri

P
Pat McAfee

Discuss Who to resign and potential free agents from other teams.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:13 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAChainGang View Post
RB
Ahmad Bradshaw
Donald Brown
Tashard Choice
Donald Brown is making a good impression. I still think he is more of a platoon guy and would pay him as such. If someone gives him starter's contract, we can't match. Bradshaw was running well before the injury, but I'm afraid he is just too old.

Quote:
WR
Darrius Heyward-Bey
Buh-bye.

Quote:
OT
Jeff Linkenbach
I wouldn't mind bring him back, he is versatile, but for the right deal.

Quote:
OG
Mike McGlynn
Buh-bye

Quote:
DL
Aubrayo Franklin
Ricardo Mathews
Fili Moala
Lawrence Sidbury
Franklin has played ok for the most part, the rest are inconsistent.

Quote:
LB
Pat Angerer
Kavell Conner (RFA)
Darin Drakeford
Justin Hickman (ERFA)
Cam Johnson (ERFA)
Scott Lutrus (RFA)
Angerer might get overpaid by someone, it shouldn't be by us. I'd bring back Conner and Johnson for cap-friendly deals.

Quote:
CB
Vontae Davis
Josh Gordy (RFA)
Cassius Vaughn
At the beginning of the season, I was ready to give Vontae the max deal. He looked like one of the best in the league. I still want us to re-sign him, but over-spending might be a mistake.

Quote:
FS
Antoine Bethea
Sergio Brown
Believe it or not, I'd rather they re-sign Brown then Bethea. Sergio is our best special-teamer, while Bethea is past his prime.

Quote:
K
Vinitieri
He isn't past his prime, I'd bring him back.

Quote:
P
Pat McAfee
Top paid punter in NFL? That might happen.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:01 PM    (permalink
fishspinners
Rookie

fishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default Good luck Grigson

We have a boatload of potential free agents leaving the team in the offseason. With the lack of draft picks we have this year, it's going to be very interesting to see how GM Ryan Grigson handles this. I hope the scouting department is working overtime because we are going to need some undrafted free agents to field a team next year.
fishspinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:50 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unless I'm mistaken, we will have some Cap room to play with.

I think the top priority will be to re-sign Davis and McAfee.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, we will have some Cap room to play with.

I think the top priority will be to re-sign Davis and McAfee.
If the current team contracts stay as they are, and the team don't sign anyone else etc before the end of the season I have (with the cap staying the same) the Colts cap room at $37.6M. That will obviously go up if the cap goes up.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:49 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I found this site, says we have ~$39m in cap room this off-season (other websites have that number as well): http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Colts

If we cut Satele, that adds another $4m to $42m. Some rough estimate for salaries needed:
Davis: $7m
Bethea: $5m
Vinatieri:$3m
Painter: $3m
Donald Brown: $2m
Linkenback: $1.5m

Beyond that, there's a handful of players who will probably get under $1m (the Sergio Browns & Kavell Conners of the world). In the end that will be ~$25m, leaving us $14 or $18m depending on whether Satele is released.

With that, & the draft imo we need to get an interior OL to compete/backup a@ G/C, a WR, & some sort of pass-rush.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:49 AM    (permalink
fishspinners
Rookie

fishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Ok, what I was looking at looked like we were pretty strapped for cash next year (apparently bad intell). Unless Bethea takes a pay cut, I think he is on the way out. With the amount of cap space we should have next season, I think we are going to be aggressive again.

The DHB signing was boom/bust and I think there is no way he comes back. Hakeem Nicks and Eric Decker are FAs I'd like to see the Colts target.

With the emergence of Donald Brown as a solid RB option, I think he resigns if the price is right. Bradshaw is probably gone. The backfield is gonna be a little crowded next year with Ballard, Brown, and Richardson all vying for carries.
fishspinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:30 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Time to look at the off-season to improve.

Front 7 played terrible in the game vs Pats. We need help there.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:01 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It is going to be interesting to see who comes back. I think Delano Howell could potentially start if he recovers from injury. It is reasonable to let Bethea walk.

I think the most important people to sign are Vontae, Pat, and Vinny.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:30 PM    (permalink
jared3
Rookie

jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Got to resign:

1) Vontae Davis- Our top CB
2) Adam Vinatieri- One of the best kickers in the NFL
3) Pat Mcafee- Great punter. Hope he is not wanting to the be the highest pain punter though. If so, then see ya..
4) Aubrayo Franklin- Solid player and provides a lot of girth.
5) Sergio Brown- Special teams ace.
6) Jeff Likenbach- Versatile who can play both guard and tackle.
7) Donald Brown- Our best rb on the team.
8) Antoine Bethea- Our best safety.

In free agency, hopefully Indy will look at DE Arthur Jones (Baltimore).
jared3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:41 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Bethea is past his prime. I think we need new starters at both safety spots.

Landry was AWFUL vs Pats.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:02 PM    (permalink
jared3
Rookie

jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Landry is the one who tackled air on that 73 yard Blount run. I agree with you that Bethea is past his prime, but he is our best safety.

I believe S Jarius Byrd (Buffalo) is a free agent.
jared3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:45 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Judging by what I saw from these 2 games, front 7 and both safety spots are big needs.

We only have one starting caliber ILB and our D-Line is below average.

Before the playoffs I would have placed OG and WR high on the needs list, but now I think that improving the defense should be a higher priority.

Imo Brazill, Rogers and Whalen have shown flashes and I would be fine with them competing for the #3 spot next year.

Also Thornton has shown ability and I think we can go with him and Thomas as starters next year.

I'm not against getting players at those spots, but if given the choice I would rather spend on Defense.

My list of needs:

1. FS ... need someone to cover the deep routes
2. OC ... no starter on the roster
3. ILB ... need starter alongside Freeman
4. DE ... nothing but has-beens and never-was
5. SS ... both safeties are past their prime
Old 01-13-2014, 10:05 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

That is an interesting perspective Max. I agree with you. I think if we could somehow sign Mack our OL would be ready for action next year.

I agree with the priority as well. Nice list. Would you rather see Bethea walk in FA?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 01-13-2014, 10:17 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

If we can't find someone else, I guess we'll have to go with Bethea for one more year.

But like you said, Howell can start.

Last edited by MaxV : 01-13-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:36 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agree with that, but I think OC needs to be lower on the list. I want to see more on Holmes before we invest anything major. Happy to bring a guy in on the cheap or spend a late draft pick, but lets not spend major money unless its an all-star. Releasing Satele would net $4m in cap space and I expect this to happen. Really I think getting Satele & McGlynn out, getting Holmes in and Donald Thomas back on the field will be enough of a fix.

I also think Landry is our SS for the next season or two. His contract isn't an easy-out like some of the other contracts from last year.

FYI, releasing Redding & RJF would net near $7m in cap space. We could afford 2 premium DEs, if they are out there, and we can get them. BJ Raji, Arthur Jones, & Randy Starks would be high on my list.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:46 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Honestly, at this point I would release Landry regardless of Cap hit.

He is useless in coverage and constantly takes bad angles on ball-carriers.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:56 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Honestly, at this point I would release Landry regardless of Cap hit.

He is useless in coverage and constantly takes bad angles on ball-carriers.
This drove me insane this season. He doesn't make up for anything in run support. His angles are the worst on the team.

On a suprising note, I was actually pleased with Walden's play, although I think his contract is too big.

I have heard from Colts fans that Landry has played out of position. Apparently we need someone faster in coverage so Landry can be released to play the underneath stuff. But regardless, I think his play has been below average.

I wish I knew more about Holmes but the reality of the situation is that he didn't get hardly any snaps this season with an injury riddled line. I am not counting on his abilities to be a starter. I would love to get a superior veteran at C.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 01-13-2014, 12:02 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I agree about Walden. He and Cherilus have been the only good additions from last off-season. We overpaid for both, but at least they've earned their spots.

Toler has been mediocre and injured.
Landry has sucked.
Donald Thomas didn't last long.
Bradshaw didn't last long either.
Franklin has been outplayed by Chapman imo.
Francois is very inconsistent.
DHB ... I have no words.

We'll need a better off-season then that to take another step forward.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:24 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we cut Satele, RJF, and Toler we save a net of about $8 mil in cap space and lose very little production, if any. But will Grigson/Pagano even think any of them warrant it? Look at how many times they went back to Satele after seeing proof that other players were better.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:52 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If we cut Satele, RJF, and Toler we save a net of about $8 mil in cap space and lose very little production, if any. But will Grigson/Pagano even think any of them warrant it? Look at how many times they went back to Satele after seeing proof that other players were better.
This is what scares me. I just want Satele off the roster.

Toler was a frustration of mine. Especially because I had such a prospect crush on Xavier Rhodes. And we had a chance to draft him. How did he pan out in Minnesota? Hindsight is 20/20 though.

I think Butler is a fine nickel back and I don't want Toler playng CB2 so I would be fine to cut him, but I doubt the team does it. We just don't need to shell out a roster spot to someone who is going to be injured and sit on the bench the whole year just to get burned in the playoffs whether he had help over the top or not.

If we could find another CB with the caliber of Vontae and have some fresh legs at Safety then we would be vastly improved. However, the front 7 needs a lot of attention.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 01-14-2014, 06:24 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/V...f-cb2e1623471b

Sounds like Davis wants to be a Colt.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 01-14-2014, 06:36 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree about Walden. He and Cherilus have been the only good additions from last off-season. We overpaid for both, but at least they've earned their spots.

Toler has been mediocre and injured.
Landry has sucked.
Donald Thomas didn't last long.
Bradshaw didn't last long either.
Franklin has been outplayed by Chapman imo.
Francois is very inconsistent.
DHB ... I have no words.

We'll need a better off-season then that to take another step forward.
What's the story with Thomas is he under contract next year as well? I would love him back on the Pats but if you guys have him under contract he will be a starter. I would take him 10 times out of 10 over Dan Connolly

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:48 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
What's the story with Thomas is he under contract next year as well? I would love him back on the Pats but if you guys have him under contract he will be a starter. I would take him 10 times out of 10 over Dan Connolly
He is under contract and will be our starter at an OG position. I think LG? But yeah he just got injured and was put on IR. Hoping he will bring some presence to our OL.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 01-14-2014, 09:26 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

This is an interesting read on Colts' situation.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-the-offseason