Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
Where else would he sign over Detroit? At this point we are far and away the best opening out there.

I would also assume we'll give any coach the right to pick his own coordinators.
What is Ford's record for producing winners? Then there is the money factor, then there is, will he have much say in personnel and the draft plus choosing his coordinators. There is a lot that goes into who a coach signs with. He also has to really like the owner, the President, and the GM. Believe me, lots can go wrong in the process, of course, I want him badly, so I'm praying for the signing.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:03 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you could play a 1 gap 3-4 with Suh or Fairley at the NT spot. Like Jay Ratliff in his prime.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
I think you could play a 1 gap 3-4 with Suh or Fairley at the NT spot. Like Jay Ratliff in his prime.
Yeah, but they would only be average at it, they would both be better suited to play DE in a 3-4. However, I think it would be stupid to switch to a 3-4, we have the personnel for a solid 4-3 while numerous changes in personnel would be needed to play a 3-4. Besides even New England has gone back to a 4-3, 3-4 defenses have been pretty well been worked on by defensive coordinators, so what would we gain???
Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
What is Ford's record for producing winners? Then there is the money factor, then there is, will he have much say in personnel and the draft plus choosing his coordinators. There is a lot that goes into who a coach signs with. He also has to really like the owner, the President, and the GM. Believe me, lots can go wrong in the process, of course, I want him badly, so I'm praying for the signing.
A head coach doesn't look at the owner's track record of wins. He looks at the Owner's patience in giving the people he hires a fair chance. Something Ford has done consistently. It's the Head Coach and GM's job to win the games.

Mayhew and Whisenhunt are good friends. They played together in the past and both have said numerous time that they have a very good friendship. So I think that is covered.

Talent and the ability to win soon vs. rebuild is also pretty high for any potential HC, I think we have that covered.

Money is my only concern as I see the Browns have entered the mix and money does not appear to be an issue with that Owner. But Ford hasn't necisarily been cheap in the past and I don't see why that would change now.

Overall I would be shocked if Whisenhunt does not end up here. It has been speculated greatly since even before Schwartz was fired and nothing has happened to indicate that has changed.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:13 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, but they would only be average at it, they would both be better suited to play DE in a 3-4. However, I think it would be stupid to switch to a 3-4, we have the personnel for a solid 4-3 while numerous changes in personnel would be needed to play a 3-4. Besides even New England has gone back to a 4-3, 3-4 defenses have been pretty well been worked on by defensive coordinators, so what would we gain???
I think we'd have a pretty good 3-4 if we got a NT. NE runs more of a hybrid but once Wilfork went down it definitley turned into more of a 4-3.

I agree though I don't think we need to shake up the defense because at this point we have invested pretty heavily in a 4-3 personel. I wouldn't mind seeing our DC stand up Ansah our Suh from time to time, I think both players could handle it and it would add a bit of a different look from time to time. That's what I like most about the 3-4 is the defense's ability to show different looks and try to confuse the QB, where as a tradintional 4-3 is a bit more simple IMO.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why would they be average at it? I think it would maximize their strengths.

I disagree with the last part as well. Shoot, Jay Gruden in his press conference mentioned how he hates facing 3-4 defenses. Patriots switched back due to personnel, but still show you plenty of 3-4 looks. Its a lot easier to keep teams guessing about where your pressure is coming from.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
Why would they be average at it? I think it would maximize their strengths.

I disagree with the last part as well. Shoot, Jay Gruden in his press conference mentioned how he hates facing 3-4 defenses. Patriots switched back due to personnel, but still show you plenty of 3-4 looks. Its a lot easier to keep teams guessing about where your pressure is coming from.
I don't agree, lots of teams playing the 4-3 use the Cover 2 to change up their schemes and they can blitz from either side including sending a CB or Safety. Of course it depends on your personnel, but I see no intrinsic advantage to a 3-4 over a 4-3. Both are personnel dependent. We have been drafting 4-3 personnel for a number of years and the potential of our defense is quite high IMO, switching to another defense always entails at least a 25% turnover, and a time lag before the new defense is really effective.
Why in the world would you want to make a switch to a defense that has been around long enough that it doesn't fool anybody anymore, where you would need a substantial change in personnel to implement it and cannot be positive that your current stars would accept the change.

Seattle and Denver, the 2 top seeds in the playoffs use 4-3's, are you claiming they are stupid for going that way. I just don't get your argument at all.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:04 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Schefter said Whisenhunt decision to come in the next 48 hours. He said the Titans shouldn't be discounted out of it just yet which seemed interesting to me. Hopefully we lock this up asap.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:25 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Schefter said Whisenhunt decision to come in the next 48 hours. He said the Titans shouldn't be discounted out of it just yet which seemed interesting to me. Hopefully we lock this up asap.
If Whisenhunt goes to Tennessee and we get stuck with Caldwell or Munchak, I'm going to be pissed.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
If Whisenhunt goes to Tennessee and we get stuck with Caldwell or Munchak, I'm going to be pissed.
Don't quote me and don't ask me who, but I seriously doubt either Munchak or Caldwell would be the choices.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:15 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Don't quote me and don't ask me who, but I seriously doubt either Munchak or Caldwell would be the choices.
They've reported that Munchak had a very strong interview with us but I tend to agree with you. I don't see him getting the job.

I think Caldwell may if Whisenhunt does in fact go to Tennessee.

But honestly, I still fully expect Whisenhunt to be named HC by Tuesday afternoon.

Quick Update thanks to twitter:

Lions had a plane ready for San Diego this morning, however it has not taken off. Not sure if this should be a concern...

Last edited by detroit4life : 01-13-2014 at 12:27 PM.
detroit4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
I don't agree, lots of teams playing the 4-3 use the Cover 2 to change up their schemes and they can blitz from either side including sending a CB or Safety. Of course it depends on your personnel, but I see no intrinsic advantage to a 3-4 over a 4-3. Both are personnel dependent. We have been drafting 4-3 personnel for a number of years and the potential of our defense is quite high IMO, switching to another defense always entails at least a 25% turnover, and a time lag before the new defense is really effective.
Why in the world would you want to make a switch to a defense that has been around long enough that it doesn't fool anybody anymore, where you would need a substantial change in personnel to implement it and cannot be positive that your current stars would accept the change.

Seattle and Denver, the 2 top seeds in the playoffs use 4-3's, are you claiming they are stupid for going that way. I just don't get your argument at all.
The Saints switched last year and their defense went from one of the worst all time to one of the best in the league this year. Also, I didn't say anyone was stupid for using a 4-3. I do believe the 3-4 is a better defensive system, all else being equal. That doesn't mean I never think a team should play 4-3 either though. Also, I'm betting if we get Whisenhunt, he brings Horton, who plays more of a hybrid. I also think all of our "4-3 personnel" can be used just as effectively in a 3-4.The only one who can't is Young, who's a FA.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
I have no objective reasoning for this, but my gut says its Caldwell if not Whisenhunt.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Caldwell is like the one uncle who stares at you funny. Yeah, he might buy you presents and have a nice house but you don't want to end up living with him.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 32s
PFT confirms ESPN report that Ken Whisenhunt will be next coach of the Titans.
Expand

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:58 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Wow I'm shocked, I'd love to get an understanding as to why he made that decision.

Looks like we are in talks with Caldwell. I know a lot of you guys dislike it more than I do, I'd prefer him after Whisenhunt. Hopefully we get some good coordinators in here with him
Old 01-13-2014, 06:01 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Are you ******* kidding me?

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:45 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't we get Ray Horton?
Old 01-13-2014, 07:02 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Can't we get Ray Horton?
Ray Horton and Chud! YES!

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 01-13-2014, 07:05 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

I'd love to see us at least try and interview Stoops. Not sure why his name surfaced as HC possibilities but I don't think there is any reason that we jump immediately for Caldwell, at this point there doesn't seem to be a race.

They've stayed consistent with one thing, and that's an offensive coach. I don't see that changing and I think we could do a lot worse than Caldwell. I will say I am slightly afraid we put too much of an emphasis on fixing Stafford in this search. But Caldwell has had some success and has the background we are looking for from a QB and Offensive standpoint. He is a no nonsense guy which is what this team needs. He will instill the discipline we need.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:09 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Is there any chance we didn't get Whisenhunt because we wanted him to run a 4-3?
Old 01-13-2014, 07:34 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What success has Caldwell had exactly? Pretty much everything he's done is tied to Peyton Manning.. and in his first year without Peyton, the Colts went 2-11, got the #1 pick, and he got fired. Seems like another Marinelli type to me.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He inherited a team from Dungy/Mora and had to be the handpicked successor of Dungy to even get that far. I think he must have nude or joint pics of Dungy.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:56 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
What success has Caldwell had exactly? Pretty much everything he's done is tied to Peyton Manning.. and in his first year without Peyton, the Colts went 2-11, got the #1 pick, and he got fired. Seems like another Marinelli type to me.
Well in all fairness that colt's team wasn't exactly built to do anything without Peyton.

But yes he had success with Peyton, so did Mike McCoy and people weren't saying he was a horrible hire for San Diego (who he took to the playoffs in his 1st year). Gase is having success with Peyton too, he will be a HC in the next 2 years, does the fact that Peyton is his QB make him a terrible hire? Do we really think the Bronco's as they're built would do much better than Caldwell did if Peyton went down?

Trust me I'm not thrilled with what is happening, but people write off Caldwell because he had a bad year once Peyton went down. Look at how Whisenhunt did without Warner (18-30) and each of those years he had actual time to prepare with a new QB. You can use just about every negative you use for Caldwell and apply it to Whisenhunt as well.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Well in all fairness that colt's team wasn't exactly built to do anything without Peyton.

But yes he had success with Peyton, so did Mike McCoy and people weren't saying he was a horrible hire for San Diego (who he took to the playoffs in his 1st year). Gase is having success with Peyton too, he will be a HC in the next 2 years, does the fact that Peyton is his QB make him a terrible hire? Do we really think the Bronco's as they're built would do much better than Caldwell did if Peyton went down?

Trust me I'm not thrilled with what is happening, but people write off Caldwell because he had a bad year once Peyton went down. Look at how Whisenhunt did without Warner (18-30) and each of those years he had actual time to prepare with a new QB. You can use just about every negative you use for Caldwell and apply it to Whisenhunt as well.
Mike McCoy also had success with Tim Tebow. If you can have success with him you can have success with anyone.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote: