Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Should the Vikings trade Peterson this off-season?
No, he's the face of the franchise 19 43.18%
Yes but only if they get a #1 6 13.64%
Yes but only if they get a #1 AND any additional stuff 19 43.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2014, 11:46 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ray Lewis on Peterson:

"Me going out on that field tonight and me looking at Adrian Petersonís eyes, itís something that I want to bring up that I donít want to see happen to this young kid. Because we saw it happen to a great one one time before, which was Barry Sanders.

If he keeps going down this road, heís going to have to make a business decision just like Barry Sanders made a while ago. He plays the game with so much passion and so much love, and he plays it so hard Ö and to do him like that, to surround him with a team like that Ö I donít like to see great people go through things like that."

Brody, I think you're crazy if you think nobody would give more than a 2nd round pick for Peterson. Did you see what he did last year? He's a difference-maker, and he's never had a legit QB other than the quick-fix patch with Favre.

Arizona's offense, the Giants offense, would improve so much adding this guy.
David Wilson was a 1st round pick last year.
Ask Giant fan if they'd trade him for Peterson.
That's what you get with 1st round picks, half the time a crapshoot waste.
Hello Trent Richardson.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:48 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
1) They won't get more than a second rounder for him, and for good reason
If the Vikings could get a 1st, 3rd and a future 3rd for Percy Harvin who has had more injuries than AD in their pro careers and only an age difference of 3 years, I think they could more than just a 2nd.

But we wouldn't trade Adrian Peterson when he is our best asset going forward and like you said he fills those seats that the Vikings will be needing to sell when the new stadium opens.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:55 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are a hell of a lot of miles on those legs and a hell of a lot of dollars in that cap number. I'm not so sure they could get a first.

It would take a team with:

1) a defense capable of winning a super bowl
2) an offense missing only a running back
3) the ability to fit his big cap number under their cap while retaining both #1 and #2

I looked. Couldn't find anyone who matched up unless the salary cap takes a huge leap upward next season, but everyone's already said that it won't.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:58 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Ray Lewis on Peterson:

"Me going out on that field tonight and me looking at Adrian Petersonís eyes, itís something that I want to bring up that I donít want to see happen to this young kid. Because we saw it happen to a great one one time before, which was Barry Sanders.

If he keeps going down this road, heís going to have to make a business decision just like Barry Sanders made a while ago. He plays the game with so much passion and so much love, and he plays it so hard Ö and to do him like that, to surround him with a team like that Ö I donít like to see great people go through things like that."

Brody, I think you're crazy if you think nobody would give more than a 2nd round pick for Peterson. Did you see what he did last year? He's a difference-maker, and he's never had a legit QB other than the quick-fix patch with Favre.

Arizona's offense, the Giants offense, would improve so much adding this guy.
David Wilson was a 1st round pick last year.
Ask Giant fan if they'd trade him for Peterson.
That's what you get with 1st round picks, half the time a crapshoot waste.
Hello Trent Richardson.
Have you been playing online Madden franchise with no salary cap again? The Cardinals are cutting it awfully close and the Giants can't buy a stadium priced beer without cutting someone.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Voted no.

I dont think that the Vikings should trade him. More importantly, I dont think that there's a team who would trade for him. Peterson will be 29 in March. His salaries are huge -

2014: $11.75 million, 2015: $12.75 million, 2016: $14.75 million and 2017: $16.75.

Also, now with the rookie wage scale, you can get younger and cheaper running backs for four years which would cost less than Peterson's 2014 salary alone.

For the Vikings, they need a QB. If Cutler hits FA, he could be a fit in Minnesota. Peterson and Patterson is not a bad combo at RB and WR.

Like Larry Fitzgerald, I would be shocked if Peterson ever gets traded.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:34 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
Not correcting you to be some sort of asshole or anything, just hoping it might help in the future - the phrade is "err on the side of caution" - and I think by air you meant err. Again I'm not trying to be an asshole that just corrects people on the internet lol.
"Not to be a racist, but you're a ******..."

Why be politely impolite about it? I made a common and moronic mistake. Don't try to mask calling me an idiot by saying you don't mean to call me an idiot and then proceed to call me an idiot. Either call me an idiot, or pull a casual "err*" and be done with it. Like a normal person, not a turd burgling grammar nazi trying to toe a line.

I don't mind being called out on it. I do plenty of my own correcting. Just sayin'...
Old 01-02-2014, 12:38 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Voted no.

I dont think that the Vikings should trade him. More importantly, I dont think that there's a team who would trade for him. Peterson will be 29 in March. His salaries are huge -

2014: $11.75 million, 2015: $12.75 million, 2016: $14.75 million and 2017: $16.75.

Also, now with the rookie wage scale, you can get younger and cheaper running backs for four years which would cost less than Peterson's 2014 salary alone.

For the Vikings, they need a QB. If Cutler hits FA, he could be a fit in Minnesota. Peterson and Patterson is not a bad combo at RB and WR.

Like Larry Fitzgerald, I would be shocked if Peterson ever gets traded.
While most of your points are in-line with mine, Peterson isn't one of those rando's you pull in the 4th round. He actually is one of the few true difference makers at his position.

It'd be a great move if you're a team with cap room and a pick toward the middle of the draft, like the Jets, and can get Peterson for the Alex Smith deal. The Jets don't have a lot of money tied up in anyone significant outside of the OL and won't for another 2-3 years.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:51 AM    (permalink
fatso
Rookie

fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Browns should package that Trent pick and a 1st next season. Grab Manziel with their pick. They'd become my favorite offense.
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:11 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post

Why be politely impolite about it? I made a common and moronic mistake. Don't try to mask calling me an idiot by saying you don't mean to call me an idiot and then proceed to call me an idiot. Either call me an idiot, or pull a casual "err*" and be done with it. Like a normal person, not a turd burgling grammar nazi trying to toe a line.

I don't mind being called out on it. I do plenty of my own correcting. Just sayin'...
Lol why so upset? Correcting someone's grammar doesn't make you an asshole and it doesn't mean you're doing it to say that person is an idiot.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:32 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that Louis CK video got to nepg's head.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:17 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post

Easy dude.lol

He never called you an idiot.
There are no perfect people and nearly everyone I know of online makes grammatical mistakes eventually because we spend more time posting and less timing editing.

Take it as a head's up from a random guy who didn't wanna see you write something silly.
You took his correction like he was clowning you. Far from it.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:41 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Have you been playing online Madden franchise with no salary cap again?
This made me laugh.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:54 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You know... Carolina actually has quite a bit of cap space.

Oh, please, football gods... let Adrian Peterson and Cam Newton run the option together.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:17 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To me I don't see a trade happening in any way, shape or form.

Reason being, the Vikings will need a major haul to let the face of their franchise leave and frankly any team who gives that up is either crazy or majorly over-aggressive.

Yes, Peterson is a boss who can carry an offense to the playoffs (see last year). But why do people act like there are any teams who are one piece away from being a definite Superbowl winner? If it were that easy then these deals would happen all the time.

Hypothetical, if a middling to good team were to give up a 1st round pick for Peterson and take the cap number as is and you don't win the Superbowl where does that leave you?

Realistically, you have to pick your battles in the NFL. You can certainly pick a skill guy or a defensive player to give that money to or you pay your QB. This is the reality of the NFL at the minute with how salaries have gone. If even average QBs are going to be getting $20m+ how can you justify giving $13m or whatever to another offensive player? That isn't how you build a winning team.

So, any team who can likely afford Peterson either has a poor QB or one on a rookie deal.

Now, even getting past the salary numbers there is also another reason why I wouldn't give up a first for Peterson. As has been mentioned, he is closing in on 30. People have mentioned LT in this section already. His last really good season came in 2007...when he was 28. The 6 years before that he averaged just under 100 yards per game on the ground. The final 4, just over 50.

RB is the one position where the dropoff can come out of nowhere. Once you get to the late 20s it starts to get really worrying for any RB. Now, I am not a psychic and will not stand on a soapbox and say that this is the year where Peterson will start his decline, but if I was a GM I would for sure be thinking about that possibility before giving up a first round draft choice and all that money.

All trades are risk/reward types and while the reward for both teams would be very good (first for Minny and potential to put a team over the top for the other) the risk going both ways far outweighs that IMO

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:25 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

I've got to think Peterson would be willing to take an under-market price to play for a contender. Again, Carolina would be a dream situation. Franchise quarterback, terrific defense. He'd feel like he was going to a Super Bowl contender, and at this point in his career I think that's what's got to be on his mind. He's already made a good bit of money, and he can still make a lot of money outside of his NFL contract through endorsement, appearances, etc., and those things are going to be available to him throughout his life as an iconic player. He's financially set for life, and seeing how passionate he is about the game, I have a hard time believing that he's going to insist on being paid top dollar over a chance to win a Super Bowl before he retires. Just my opinion.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:33 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
I've got to think Peterson would be willing to take an under-market price to play for a contender. Again, Carolina would be a dream situation. Franchise quarterback, terrific defense. He'd feel like he was going to a Super Bowl contender, and at this point in his career I think that's what's got to be on his mind. He's already made a good bit of money, and he can still make a lot of money outside of his NFL contract through endorsement, appearances, etc., and those things are going to be available to him throughout his life as an iconic player. He's financially set for life, and seeing how passionate he is about the game, I have a hard time believing that he's going to insist on being paid top dollar over a chance to win a Super Bowl before he retires. Just my opinion.
If he would be willing to cut his number down to say around $8m then it becomes more interesting. The draft pick isn't the major worry, especially with teams towards the end of the first round.

What can't happen though is a team goes all in on him winning a Superbowl. As I said, it's risk/reward. If you win the Superbowl then you are a genius, but it is so hard to win a Superbowl. If you bank on Peterson and he fails or the team fails that is the quickest way to get fired.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:38 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

I pretty much agree with all of that, I just also think Carolina is pretty clearly an up-and-coming team, one of the best teams in the NFL, so they've got a pretty big window right now and considering the rest of the elements they have in place (and notably, that they don't have a running back they can rely on), and that they have a terrific defense, they are one team where it really would make sense to go all-out and make the numbers work to bring in Peterson. It wouldn't be much different than the Seahawks mentality bringing in Percy Harvin. No one's calling for Pete Carroll's job, because it was 13-3 team without him. Carolina's a 12-4 team without Peterson this year - they're going to be one year older and better next year even without Peterson, so why not bring in the NFL's best running back for his last few years of his physical peak? It'd be like Stephen Davis, but better.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 01-02-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:44 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If spending a first round pick gets you to the Super Bowl, you do it, even if it's only one year. First round picks are no sure thing as it is. He's still easily worth a first.
It depends on the context of the situation. If you feel like you are a dynamic runningback away from getting a ring, perhaps you pull the trigger. But if you are a team like Jacksonville that needs a lot of help, then that would be stupid and a waste of a first round pick. Peterson is only worth a first round pick under the right circumstances.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:47 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
I pretty much agree with all of that, I just also think Carolina is pretty clearly an up-and-coming team, one of the best teams in the NFL, so they've got a pretty big window right now and considering the rest of the elements they have in place (and notably, that they don't have a running back they can rely on), and that they have a terrific defense, they are one team where it really would make sense to go all-out and make the numbers work to bring in Peterson. It wouldn't be much different than the Seahawks mentality bringing in Percy Harvin. No one's calling for Pete Carroll's job, because it was 13-3 team without him. Carolina's a 12-4 team without Peterson this year - they're going to be one year older and better next year even without Peterson, so why not bring in the NFL's best running back for his last few years of his physical peak? It'd be like Stephen Davis, but better.
Carolina and maybe Miami seem to be the 2 I can think of given they both have rookie QBs on their first contract and have good defenses. In saying that, I don't know how their cap situation is (I know Miami went balls deep last year with Wallace, Ellerbe, Grimes etc) and it will become moot for Carolina if Newton gets a new contract, which I think he can get next year??? That would likely make Peterson a one year rental at that money because Cam gon get paid!!!

Old 01-02-2014, 05:17 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Quote:
You know... Carolina actually has quite a bit of cap space.

Oh, please, football gods... let Adrian Peterson and Cam Newton run the option together.
Not really. They're finishing this year about 13 mil under, BUT...the only contract coming off the books that was for more than 1.5 mil is a franchise LT that'll need replacing or re-signing, their best DE is a free agent, Steve Smith is 100 years old, the #2 #3 AND #4 receivers are free agents, and they have already been getting ok production from the RB position. Not great, but acceptable.

If anything, the Panthers are going to be hurting for cap space. A LT and a DE are going to require one big contract, two big contracts, or a big contract and a first round pick. Both of those positions will have to be starters right off the bat or that thing's falling apart. Thinking about that secondary trying to get it done without the pressure Hardy brought is scary, lol. They can't afford a luxury item like Peterson, no matter how fun that would be to watch.

Last edited by Monomach : 01-02-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:09 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Yeah, I just don't think AP's a "luxury item." I think pairing him with a good defense and a good QB is a victory formula. None of their receivers are really worth competing for, IMO - Greg Olsen's Cam's best target. Greg Hardy has already said he's not going to try and break Carolina's bank account, if I remember correctly. I get the impression that team knows its on the rise and the players are motivated to keep building that. Putting together another hodge-podge receiving corps isn't going to be a downgrade, and there'll be some nice prospects in the 2-4th rounds of this year's draft. I'm not super familiar with Carolina's front office, but I have read here and there that their GM has done a bang-up job getting a team that was way over the cap comfortably under it in just a couple of years, so it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that they could find a way to make it work if they decided they wanted AP.

And frankly, (and again I'm not sure about how much money is guaranteed), I think their running backs have been mediocre at best the last two years and DeAngelo Williams is way overpaid, so if they could cut ties with DeAngelo Williams without being stuck with a bunch of dead money, that might be the first place to look for AP's salary. They've got Tolbert, who's a nice fullback/backup power runner (almost like Gerhart in Minnesota), they've got Kenjon Barner, who I liked as a change of pace back, and I suspect they can find a player in the later rounds who won't be a game-breaker but can give them reliable yards, and fill out their depth chart that way. They really lose nothing, in my mind, if Williams and Stewart aren't on the roster anymore.

Edit: Looks like DeAngelo's not going to make 5.5 mil again next year, and I'm not an expert on this stuff, but my main points here are that Carolina seems to have a really savvy front office when it comes to this stuff, and that AP would be a huge upgrade.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 01-02-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:14 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Yeah, I just don't think AP's a "luxury item." I think pairing him with a good defense and a good QB is a victory formula. None of their receivers are really worth competing for, IMO - Greg Olsen's Cam's best target. Greg Hardy has already said he's not going to try and break Carolina's bank account, if I remember correctly. I get the impression that team knows its on the rise and the players are motivated to keep building that. Putting together another hodge-podge receiving corps isn't going to be a downgrade, and there'll be some nice prospects in the 2-4th rounds of this year's draft. I'm not super familiar with Carolina's front office, but I have read here and there that their GM has done a bang-up job getting a team that was way over the cap comfortably under it in just a couple of years, so it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that they could find a way to make it work if they decided they wanted AP.

And frankly, (and again I'm not sure about how much money is guaranteed), I think their running backs have been mediocre at best the last two years and DeAngelo Williams is way overpaid, so if they could cut ties with DeAngelo Williams without being stuck with a bunch of dead money, that might be the first place to look for AP's salary. They've got Tolbert, who's a nice fullback/backup power runner (almost like Gerhart in Minnesota), they've got Kenjon Barner, who I liked as a change of pace back, and I suspect they can find a player in the later rounds who won't be a game-breaker but can give them reliable yards, and fill out their depth chart that way. They really lose nothing, in my mind, if Williams and Stewart aren't on the roster anymore.
Hardy has recently come out and said he is looking for a big number in FA but wouldn't be opposed to being tagged. But the most important thing for the Panthers is getting Newton resigned in a year or two. By that stage it is probably realistic to expect somewhere in the region of $25m per for Cam.

And their front 7 is very good but their secondary isn't. Adding a DB and a veteran WR could do as much for Carolina as Peterson. And that would come with a lot less risk than a major trade.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:20 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Quote:

Cutting DeAngelo costs 3.6 mil more against the cap than keeping him does. Cutting Stewart costs 12.7 mil more than cutting him does. The Panthers were the first team I looked at before my first post in this thread.

If they were to get Peterson, DeAngelo and Stewart would be his backups. Kenjon would have to be the odd man out just because he's the only halfback that can be cut without hurting the team more than keeping him. The RB corps would take up 25.5 million bucks of cap room next season. That's going to be really close to 1/5 of the team's pay going to just the halfbacks. The team would be crippled.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:31 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

that's rough.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:40 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Quote:
that's rough.
Yep. Right now, they have two of the poster children for not giving running backs that big second contract. Hard enough when a team has one, but two...yuck.