Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
In Alaska I know they try to finish up their HS football season by mid October to avoid the deadly double-digit sub zero temps.
I live in Alaska. It's often not that cold in many parts of the state. Sometimes it is, but normally it isn't, unless you're in the interior of the state. You've got to remember that Alaska is half the size of the lower 48 states, so when someone's saying "Alaska is cold" they're talking about an area which would be like from Washington to Mexico, to Texas, to North Dakota. Furthermore, most people in Alaska live near the ocean, which keeps the temperature from fluctuating as much as it does farther inland. Cooler summers, warmer winters. It's often colder in places like Green Bay than where people live in Alaska. It's 30 F outside right now where I am. For high school, outdoor sporting events are cancelled at -10 F. I also skied cross country in high school, and even in a lycra suit, when you're active (at a competitive level), you don't get cold in subzero temperatures. At least, I didn't. Some people probably do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootylicous View Post
The thing is...do they get bears on the field in Alaska when it's winter time ? I'm curious.

Sometimes. (But that's summer, in Barrow.)
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:24 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All NFL teams should have retractable roof stadiums. People who say football was meant to be played in the elements are like people saying horse and buggy is the best way to travel. I want to see the best players in the world playing in nice weather so they can showcase their skills. Not weather so bad that you can't even kick an extra point (like the Philadelphia game a few weeks ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:49 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
All NFL teams should have retractable roof stadiums. People who say football was meant to be played in the elements are like people saying horse and buggy is the best way to travel. I want to see the best players in the world playing in nice weather so they can showcase their skills. Not weather so bad that you can't even kick an extra point (like the Philadelphia game a few weeks ago)
Those games are fun as ****.

The problem with "all NFL teams having retractable roofs" is that the cost is ridiculous, and not all markets are going to even consider paying for them.

I already only go to like 2 Titans games a year. If they played those games in a dome, I'd never go.

***Also, who cares about extra points?

Last edited by CashmoneyDrew : 01-05-2014 at 12:58 PM.
CashmoneyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:22 PM    (permalink
RufusMcDaniel
Mage Bros
Pro Bowler

RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its never too cold.
RufusMcDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:47 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To those who like cold weather games, how many have you been to? Going to Lambeau in January is ******* miserable.
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:54 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Article from NFL.com

http://www.nflevolution.com/article/...p2000000308863

Quote:
What are the biggest health issues players face by playing in below-freezing temperatures during playoff games this weekend?

Cold weather may present a challenge to players, coaches, medical staff and other sideline personnel if any one of the following is present: 1.) Temperature of 40 degrees and below or 2.) Wet (rain, snow, ice, high humidity) or wet clothes at temperatures below 60 degrees. In addition, winds with speed above 5 mph in combination with wet conditions and temperature 40 degrees or below increase the risk of cold injury. The most common medical conditions facing football players in sub-freezing temperatures are hypothermia, frostbite and cold-induced asthma.

Are there any injuries they might suffer that they might not face otherwise?

There are no musculoskeletal injuries unique to the cold, however, players will be at an increased risk for muscle strains and tears, usually to the hamstrings, quadriceps and calf muscles. Since the ball is harder, there is a risk for fractures of the hand and fingers when trying to catch or receive the ball. Those players who participate in a game only intermittently (i.e. punters, kickers, special teams players) are at a heightened risk as they are expected to go "all out," such as on a punt or kickoff, without a significant "warm up". Players should also be mindful of the fact that the ground will be harder which, at least theoretically, increases the risk of contact-related injuries.

What do players do to prepare for such cold weather? Is it true they undergo "Vaseline baths"?

Players will dress in multiple layers of modern synthetic clothes that maintain body heat while wicking sweat away from the body. They will often coat exposed skin with either a petroleum-based ointment or other like-agents to maintain body heat as well as protect the skin from cold wind. Many players will put tight-fitting surgical gloves under their playing gloves to help retain heat. Chemical hand warmers are often placed within the players' gloves and shoes to provide local heat to the extremities. Hydration should also be maintained. To do so, players will often drink warm chicken broth in addition to water and sports drinks during a game as a means of warming the body. The soup not only replenishes body fluids but also electrolytes such as sodium, potassium, and chlorine that may be dissipated from sweat and elevated metabolism needed to stay warm.

How do players keep muscles warm and stretched in such conditions?

They will begin stretching in the locker room while they are still warm, and then gradually increase their muscular activity in cold weather. There are space heaters on the sidelines and warming benches that work very well to warm multiple players at one time. Each sideline will also have a stationary bicycle for the players in order to allow prolonged muscle activity to reduce the risk of muscle strains and tears.

Is hypothermia ever a problem on NFL fields?

Hypothermia is not a common problem in football as the players have multiple safeguards in place (i.e., equipment, clothing, heaters, warm liquids) to protect them from hypothermia during the game. However, each team's medical staff will be observing for signs of hypothermia in not only the players but also in the coaches and theother team's personnel on the sideline.

For team trainers, is it tougher to detect injuries in such conditions?

NFL athletic trainers are very adept at planning for, recognizing and treating cold-related injuries and medical conditions. In general, most musculoskeletal injuries will be detected despite the cold. There are no specific diagnostic methods used specifically in cold weather.

What role does a frozen or harder field play in these conditions?

A frozen surface is harder, which means that any direct contact with the ground may increase the risk of fractures, contusions, and/or head injuries.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:11 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
To those who like cold weather games, how many have you been to? Going to Lambeau in January is ******* miserable.
I went to a Christmas night game in 2000 when the Titans played the Cowboys for Monday Night Football. My dad got me tickets as a present.

It was single digits and the wind was blowing. I was fairly miserable during the game, but at the same time I still had a lot of fun.

And if someone were to ask me my greatest Christmas memory, it would almost assuredly be going to that game with my dad.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:51 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
I went to a Christmas night game in 2000 when the Titans played the Cowboys for Monday Night Football. My dad got me tickets as a present.

It was single digits and the wind was blowing. I was fairly miserable during the game, but at the same time I still had a lot of fun.

And if someone were to ask me my greatest Christmas memory, it would almost assuredly be going to that game with my dad.
I remember that game well.

As for the conversation, I've been to numerous games in single digits with high wind chill. Ones where they sold out of hot chocolate at halftime.

Its doable, but it does suck. It's largely the type of game. Am I going to enjoy going to a game where it's freezing and my team loses by 20? NO WAY. But if there's excitement and energy in the crowd because we're winning, or have momentum, HECK YES.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:08 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
Those games are fun as ****.

The problem with "all NFL teams having retractable roofs" is that the cost is ridiculous, and not all markets are going to even consider paying for them.

I already only go to like 2 Titans games a year. If they played those games in a dome, I'd never go.

***Also, who cares about extra points?
Okay, maybe not EVERY team. But places where it snows should. Every team in the AFC and NFC North, Buffalo, New England, New York (also no reason for them to share a stadium), Indianapolis, and Denver.

This San Diego-Cincinnati game has been atrocious. Would playing it indoors help? Maybe not but it wouldn't have been worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote