Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 01-05-2014, 02:36 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Brett Smith, QB, Wyoming

He declared, and I couldn't find a thread about him.

I'm super impressed as his game reminds me a lot of Johnny Football. He's a tad bigger and of course played against weaker competition, but his improvisational skills, playmaking ability, running ability really remind me of Manziel. His arm looks to be strong enough. He started as a true freshman and still rewrote the MWC freshman record books. He doesn't quite look the 6'3 he is listed, but he looks far faster than his listed 4.83...after watching him easily outrun many MWC DBs I'm thinking he runs no worse than 4.65.

With the Bucs picking #7, I am now hoping they go BPA and then Smith in round 2 to pair with Tedford. With him being a 2nd rounder I figure he can battle it out with Glennon in TC with little pressure.

Anybody else have a definitive opinions or info on him?
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:45 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He needs ALOT of mechanical work. He reminds me of a really raw David Carr/Jimmy Clausen mix. He's a better athlete than either of them though.

He's a 5th rounder to me
Old 01-05-2014, 02:52 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've only watched a couple of his games but I just don't see an NFL skillset when I watch him. I don't think his arm is strong enough but if it is then it is nothing more than adequate. He's basically a very poor man's Johnny Manziel IMO. I see him as more of a day 3 pick as opposed to a 2nd rounder and I'd put him pretty far down in my QB Rankings.
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:54 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He does have the side arm delivery. I figure that could be cleaned up easier than a Tebow throwing motion, should improve his zip as well.

The more I see of him the more he grows on me. I like him in Tedford's system, he's got accuracy, mobility, and moxie.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:46 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

I just watched all 8 of his games that were on youtube from the past 2 seasons and I see pretty good mechanics. I've also read three in depth scouting reports that have him tabbed as a mid-2nd to 4th rounder. One site had him going late in round 1 to the Browns.

It'll be interesting to see if he starts rising up draft boards as the draft gets closer.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:53 PM    (permalink
The Sport Niche
Rookie

The Sport Niche hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I have Smith as my 5th QB, and going in the second round, he looks solid and has good mechanics.
The Sport Niche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:58 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like some of the cocaine you guys are sniffing if you think he has good mechanics.

Obviously there's stuff to work with, but I wouldn't take him before the 4th-5th
Old 01-05-2014, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He has a quick release, but the delivery itself is awful.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:54 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
He has a quick release, but the delivery itself is awful.
Kind of reminds me of Rodgers or Romo with his release. His footwork and delivery is pretty horrible though, but if you can develop that you have something to work with.

I'm not really sure what's with his little jump thing when rolling out either.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:59 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

An in depth scouting report from SI said Smith's mechanics were the best in college...I don't necessarily agree...though I don't agree that he has poor mechanics. He changes his delivery and arm angles from throw to throw, the SI scout loved that, and it is definitely noticeable. He's got a lot of Manziel in him.. a little Aaron Rodgers too.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:08 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

There's an in depth article by Peter Smith that is worth a read titled "2014 NFL Draft: Pre-Season Breakdown – Brett Smith, QB Wyoming". I'm pretty sure we still can't provide links so I'll let you search for it if you want.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:07 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't see the fascination with Smith. From watching the tape, I would have never guessed he was 6'3" and given his delivery he certainly doesn't utilize the size. His arm is adequate but mechanically he can be an absolute mess with his throwing motion. Some people mention being able to throw from different platforms but when I see that elbow drop, the ball sails; much like a shortstop in baseball. I could see possibly rolling the dice with a 5th or 6th rounder to see if he could be molded into the a more sound signal caller but he's not the type of guy I would invest an early pick in expecting him to be my guy for the future.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:55 AM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I just don't see the fascination with Smith. From watching the tape, I would have never guessed he was 6'3" and given his delivery he certainly doesn't utilize the size. His arm is adequate but mechanically he can be an absolute mess with his throwing motion. Some people mention being able to throw from different platforms but when I see that elbow drop, the ball sails; much like a shortstop in baseball. I could see possibly rolling the dice with a 5th or 6th rounder to see if he could be molded into the a more sound signal caller but he's not the type of guy I would invest an early pick in expecting him to be my guy for the future.
I would tend to side with this viewpoint rather than some of the 1st/2nd views.

I was actually watching Robert Herron earlier in the year and was thinking he could be something with a good QB. Studied Smith in detail when I heard rumblings he was declaring and wasn't impressed.

100% agree with the throwing motion - can transition very quickly from fake zone-read to pass - but other times looks like he's winding up. Ball placement is weak. Feet get a bit too happy. Makes late decisions - late often means bad. I almost wondered if he was trying to show he's a passer first not a runner - insinct says run - then voice in his head says pass and he makes a late throw.

Athletic - but not that big of a frame. Really would love this kind of prospect to come back for another year. Understand it was difficult for him with the coaching change, but quite a lot to work on for me.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:50 AM    (permalink
DeadEagle
Rookie

DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't read a defense, footwork sucks (not just a bit, OUT LOUD), has a noodle arm and is a jitterbug in the pocket. He doesn't have a throwing motion, just looks like a series of arm punts.

Pass.
DeadEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:29 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

The more I look the more I see people really being into Smith. NFLDraftscout has him as a 2nd rounder, Ben Albright of NFL Draft Monster loves him, Dane Brugler calls him a 2nd rounder, Corey Brewer of the Pewter Plank calls him a 2nd-3rd rounder.

I'm good with Smith if Tedford decides he can be his guy. Physically he is close to Aaron Rodgers coming out of college, though his play is more reminiscent of Manziel.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:38 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too many question marks and unknowns for Brett Smith to be a highly regarded prospect. He's the type of guy you draft in 4th to 7th round range and hope he develops into something.

If you're counting on this guy to be your team's answer at QB anytime soon, you're making a huge mistake.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasho View Post
The more I look the more I see people really being into Smith. NFLDraftscout has him as a 2nd rounder, Ben Albright of NFL Draft Monster loves him, Dane Brugler calls him a 2nd rounder, Corey Brewer of the Pewter Plank calls him a 2nd-3rd rounder.

I'm good with Smith if Tedford decides he can be his guy. Physically he is close to Aaron Rodgers coming out of college, though his play is more reminiscent of Manziel.
Stop drinking the kool-aid!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:13 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting he decided to go pro - I know the coaching change had something to do with it but I wonder what kind of projection he got.

I don't think any team drafting him would expect him to start right away but I think he could develop and refine his game sitting behind an entrenched starter for a couple seasons.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:36 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He did not receive an invite to the Combine.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:52 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He's probably wishing he could still get that extra year of eligibility.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:10 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What?! That's ludicrous! Why the hell not? That's preposterous to me, since he actually has quarterback skills, but maybe the underwear olympics just prefers beefcake prospects like Logan Thomas. I was just thinking about bumping this thread because I was watching more tape on Brett Smith last night, and he's really got everything. If teams are all passing on him come draft time, I would be more than stoked for the Seahawks to pick him in the 4th or 5th round to groom as Russell Wilson's backup and dangle him as trade bait after he destroys his first couple of preseasons. The guy is an absolute baller, he can outrun DBs, he reads the whole field, he doesn't panic, he's comfortable when the pocket breaks down, he's aggressive but not mistake-prone, and he's creative. He looks kind of physically underdeveloped, but he's not much smaller than Bridgewater (probably a little heavier) and I think he might even be more elusive and better at making people miss in the pocket. I'd take him over Derek Carr or David Fales, the WAC's poster boys, without even thinking about it.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:43 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
What?! That's ludicrous! Why the hell not? That's preposterous to me, since he actually has quarterback skills, but maybe the underwear olympics just prefers beefcake prospects like Logan Thomas. I was just thinking about bumping this thread because I was watching more tape on Brett Smith last night, and he's really got everything. If teams are all passing on him come draft time, I would be more than stoked for the Seahawks to pick him in the 4th or 5th round to groom as Russell Wilson's backup and dangle him as trade bait after he destroys his first couple of preseasons. The guy is an absolute baller, he can outrun DBs, he reads the whole field, he doesn't panic, he's comfortable when the pocket breaks down, he's aggressive but not mistake-prone, and he's creative. He looks kind of physically underdeveloped, but he's not much smaller than Bridgewater (probably a little heavier) and I think he might even be more elusive and better at making people miss in the pocket. I'd take him over Derek Carr or David Fales, the WAC's poster boys, without even thinking about it.
Well luckily for you he'll almost certainly be available that late.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a compelling knock on his game.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:00 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
In terms of throwing mechanics, he's a mess.

Here's what my impressions were after he declared:

Quote:

Old 02-03-2014, 05:09 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

Quote:
Bad mechanics, limited arm strength, and he played weak competition. I'm not really concerned with his flaws it's the fact that I don't really see any strengths in his game. At least Logan Thomas is gifted physically. IMO Smith is limited physically and is raw as a passer so I don't really see what there is to like about him. I'm surprised he didn't get invited at all though.