Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
I don't hate it, but I don't like how 14 out of 32 teams will make the playoffs every year. It's going in the wrong direction. The playoffs should be a big thing, not like the NBA where every team gets in.

If there was always 14 teams, would the Bills, Browns and Raiders all still have their playoff droughts?
Here's the thing. Yes two additional teams make the playoffs, and I agree that making the playoffs sacred is a huge part of what makes them great.

But the 7 seed would be such a longshot. It would have to win at the 2 seed, then at the 1 seed, then in a third road game to get to the Super Bowl.

My quick summary is that it just adds a long shot, adds 2 more games, and screws the current 2 seed. But it could be argued that the 2 doesn't deserve a bye anyway.

I understand that NFL playoffs as currently constructed are perfect or near it, but this wouldn't be that difficult to get used to - I think people are overreacting with the negativity. This change would be accepted as the norm pretty quickly.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:08 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
To mess up a good thing, water down the playoffs, and add additional revenue.
That is pretty well sums up the whole story.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:51 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not a huge fan of this, it seems to dilute the playoffs to me. The AFC was barely even able to get .500 teams into the postseason this year.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:04 AM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Goodell in favour of expanding the playoffs but not in reseeding.

From NFL.com

After two NFC wild-card teams traveled on the road to face teams with lower regular-season records, there was some rumbling regarding reseeding teams for the playoffs based on record rather than a division championship.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell doesn't see any changes coming on the playoff format.

"I don't think there is momentum for that," Goodell told former Associated Press White House correspondent Ben Feller in an interview at the 92nd St. Y. "I would probably disagree. There may be momentum in the media, that happens when you see San Francisco going to Green Bay, but one of the premises we start with every season is that your first objective is to win the division. And when you win the division, you should have a home game."

Goodell said the NFL wants teams to make winning their division the first concern.

"We've discussed this for decades in the NFL and we believe that's the right priority," he said. "And when you do, you should have that home game. I don't see the owners pushing for a big change in that, and that's ultimately where it has to come from. I know this has been discussed in the media, but I don't see that happening."

Goodell believes one change the NFL could make is to expand the playoffs.

"That is under serious consideration," he said. "We think it's one of the great things about the NFL, besides the fact that it's unscripted. Every team and their fans start the season with hope. You mentioned the fact that for 11 straight years we've had a team go from last to first, that's unique to professional football and the NFL, that doesn't happen in other sports. And that's because we have such a competitive league and we want to keep that."
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:01 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's going to happen.

The only way it wouldn't is if the outcry was overwhelmingly negative. People aren't outraged enough for them to pass up on the extra revenue.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:11 PM    (permalink
MidwestJimmy
Veteran

MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
What if a team has a 10/11 wins but they didn't play a decent team all season?
Quote:
But how realistic is that?
Quote:
Really?
Quote:
Jacksonville
Dallas
Philadelphia (pre-Foles)
New York Giants
Tennessee
Oakland
Houston
Cleveland
Buffalo

Denver L
San Diego L
Denver L

Washington
Oakland

Indianapolis L
San Diego L
You should have wrote "did not BEAT a decent team all season". It's not likely for a team to not PLAY a decent team all season. KC didn't beat anybody good, and when they played somebody good, they lost. I see what you mean now.
MidwestJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote