Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Why do people say the Texans are a QB away?

They just aren't that talented, are they? Foster and AJ are aging. Foster might even be done. Tate is a FA and has been injured a lot. They let a lot of their good OLs go, they lost their top 2 OLBs to free agency the last 2 years. They have terrible DBs, as Joseph is on the decline and Jackson never became good. Quin left and Reed busted. Swearinger remains to be seen. Cushing can't stay healthy.

They basically have Watt, the #1 pick and a few random pieces like Hopkins. Foster and AJ may give you another good couple of years if you are lucky.

I don't think we see them in the playoffs either of the next two years, at the least.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:59 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree, the '1 QB away' moniker is dumb anyway. You're not at the very top of the draft while one position away unless you're the Colts in the year Peyton missed.
CC.SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A QB away if his name is John Elway.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:16 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd been predicting the fall of the Texans as early as last year. Like you said, Foster is on the decline (I don't think he's there yet, unless he can't stay healthy) Tate will be gone this offseason. Andre Johnson is old and when he can stay healthy is good for a few huge games each year that make people think he's still a top WR. Owen Daniels is on the decline and can never stay healthy.

We'll see how the defense does with a new coordinator.

It looks like they've currently got around 8.8m in cap space. They could gain about 8.5m by cutting Schaub and Daniels, but it still leaves tight space with a starting Guard, FB, DE, 2 ILBs (one was starting for Cushing), backup RB that finished the season as a starter and at this point may be better than the starter (TBD).

They aren't in real good cap position and they'll have to either pay JJ Watt or let him walk as a FA. Unless they really just clear house and cut Schaub, Daniels, Joseph and possibly Andre Johnson it's gonna take good drafting to come out of this.

That's why I believe it's very likely if there's a decent trade offer for the #1 pick, that Houston will not be making that selection
Old 01-08-2014, 04:25 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Foster been in the league 5 years, is 27, has had 3 high carry/productive season and in the decline? da fuk

I guess 26/27 is the new 30 for rbs.

Hey in a league where the worst team becomes the best team, qb away isn't a bad saying, and in this era why not?
Old 01-08-2014, 04:27 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll try and defend it.

For part of the year they had the number one defense in the league, your defense still has JJ Watt arguably the best defensive player in the league, Arian Foster is only 27 and last year was his first major injury since college, Chris Myers is locked up until 2015 and Duane Brown until 2018 and both are some of the best in the league at their position, much of their team was on IR last year (Danieal Manning, Brian Cushing, Ben Tate, Jonathan Joseph, Owen Daniels), and I think they have some intriguing tackle prospects with David Quessenberry and Brennan Williams. If you can get a healthy Arian Foster I can see why this team could be a QB away from succeeding. If you get a young QB in there and he has a solid running game, OL, and targets like Andre Johnson, DeAndre Hopkins, DeVier Posey, Owen Daniels, and Garrett Graham then I could see how they could be good.

It all comes down to whether or not they can play like they did in 2011/12, which isn't that far fetched because it's only a year ago. I think Schaub's play and the injuries really effected this team last season.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
I agree, the '1 QB away' moniker is dumb anyway. You're not at the very top of the draft while one position away unless you're the Colts in the year Peyton missed.
What about the Chiefs last year? They barely replaced anyone other than Alex Smith. I think in Houston's case, you can blame terrible quarterback play, the lack of head-coaching stability, and season-ending injuries to many of their best players for most of the struggles. Nine of their losses were by a touchdown or less, a difference that a solid coach, a legitimate quarterback, and a healthier roster seems like it could have surmounted in most cases.

Last edited by Matthew Jones : 01-08-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Matthew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know if they are a quarterback away, but if they have decent play at that position they can compete in the AFC South. I don't see the division being that dominant. The Jaguars and Titans are still finding their identity. Andre Johnson is 32, but I still believe he is an impact player in this league if he can stay healthy. The same goes for Foster if he can stay healthy too. He's only 27 like another poster stated. Tate is going to bounce, which is a shame.

I think they pick Bridgewater as the quarterback of the future, but I wouldn't be shocked if they go Clowney to pair with Watt to upgrade that defense. Cushing needs to stay healthy as well.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:01 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They were a great team last year who fell apart with injuries and Schaub falling apart. Their defense can be one of the best but I'm very unsure how it will function after losing Phillips and bringing in Romeo. Foster will bounce back and I think Tate is vastly overrated.

I thought they were a QB away from competing for a playoff spot but I'm not sure what happen now with the new coaches. A lot of the talent on this team fit well for the offense and defense they run. I'm not sure if the players will be as effective in new systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:05 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They need secondary help
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
A QB away if his name is John Elway.
John Elway was always a Terrell Davis away though.
"People are going to start respecting LSU...if you don't, we're going to hit you in your mouth."
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:28 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post
until he wasn't.
CC.SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I don't know if they are a quarterback away, but if they have decent play at that position they can compete in the AFC South. I don't see the division being that dominant. The Jaguars and Titans are still finding their identity. Andre Johnson is 32, but I still believe he is an impact player in this league if he can stay healthy. The same goes for Foster if he can stay healthy too. He's only 27 like another poster stated. Tate is going to bounce, which is a shame.

I think they pick Bridgewater as the quarterback of the future, but I wouldn't be shocked if they go Clowney to pair with Watt to upgrade that defense. Cushing needs to stay healthy as well.
Not sure you couldn't make the same argument for the Jaguars if they add a franchise QB. Arguably they have a better roster than Houston anyways. That division looks like it's going to belong to Andrew Luck for awhile.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:09 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat316 View Post
Foster been in the league 5 years, is 27, has had 3 high carry/productive season and in the decline? da fuk

I guess 26/27 is the new 30 for rbs.

Hey in a league where the worst team becomes the best team, qb away isn't a bad saying, and in this era why not?
It's not about age, it's about him going into the season with an injury, then proceeding to finish the year on injured reserve.

Foster compares very well to Larry Johnson in terms of both style of play, and his physical abilities. Johnson had two seasons were he was the best RB in the NFL, getting a ton of carries along the way, then he just flamed out. Many predict Fosters career is about to do the same.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:11 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
What about the Chiefs last year? They barely replaced anyone other than Alex Smith. I think in Houston's case, you can blame terrible quarterback play, the lack of head-coaching stability, and season-ending injuries to many of their best players for most of the struggles. Nine of their losses were by a touchdown or less, a difference that a solid coach, a legitimate quarterback, and a healthier roster seems like it could have surmounted in most cases.
This was largely due to the coaching changes, and scheme.

They also added a few very good defensive players.

If BOB brings the right scheme, it can work. But I really doubt he does this season
Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
The Chiefs are a good example IMO. A QB and a HC away. They were the rare team that leads the league in pro bowlers while drafting #1 though. They also had a solid free agency, signing 2 respectable CBs, a starting DE, a starting WR and a veteran TE. The SMith and REid moves were the big ones though, no doubt.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

We also don't know how good guys like Myers and Foster will be in another scheme, to be fair. I'm not saying they'll suck or even be lesser players, but its fair to say we don't know.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:30 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
We also don't know how good guys like Myers and Foster will be in another scheme, to be fair. I'm not saying they'll suck or even be lesser players, but its fair to say we don't know.
That's a very valid point as well, the system is primarily built for zone blocking. The line may be far worse in a new system and Foster may suck.

It can be said on defense as well as not all 3-4s are the same. Some of those players may not translate well
Old 01-08-2014, 10:02 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They need to get healthy. That's the main thing.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:06 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

I think the term "A QB Away" needs to be changed to "need to play together as a team, limit mistakes while taking advantage of other teams mistake. The run game and defense needs to play well"

The teams that turn their seasons around from year to year generally follow that standpoint, not that all of a sudden they get some great QB
Old 01-08-2014, 10:32 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post
you know, except that he wasn't.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:30 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Not sure you couldn't make the same argument for the Jaguars if they add a franchise QB. Arguably they have a better roster than Houston anyways. That division looks like it's going to belong to Andrew Luck for awhile.
If everyone is healthy, I think Houston has a better roster. That entire team mailed it in by mid-season. They were 12-4 the season before. There is still talent to work with. Should have kept Glover Quinn.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:55 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Injuries have killed us this season. IR's have been: Foster, Cushing, Tate, Manning, Owen Daniels, Quessenberry, and Brennan Williams. Then Mays, Jackson, Joseph, and Reed (We know how that turned out) missed extended amount of time. Not to mention that Dennis Johnson and Deji Kareem got injured at the end of the year. We were on our 10th string RB by the time we played the Titans. Injuries are apart of the game though.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:54 PM    (permalink
cajunrevenge
Rookie

cajunrevenge hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Why? Because they lost 9 games by 1 touchdown or less with close to if not the worst QB performance any team had. If they just had a QB the caliber of Andy Dalton they would have probably won 8-10 games depending on how lucky or unlucky they were. With a QB the caliber of Romo or Cutler they are easily a playoff team.

I think once Shaub imploded the team gave up and tanked. Not neccesarily on purpose but its hard to keep players motivated when your a team that went from thinking they were Super Bowl contenders to their season being over before they even got to their bye week in week 8.

Now drafting a QB wont turn it around right away because there is going to be a learning curve but they are a 7-8 win team if they draft Bridgewater in his first year in my opinion. They dont need an elite QB that can take over a game so much as they need a QB that can move the ball and not turn the ball over. They need to fix their OLine as well though. So I would say they are a QB and a good run blocking guard + tackle away from being a playoff team.
cajunrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:10 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
They need to get healthy. That's the main thing.
You can say that again.
Stop breaking Cushing's knees/legs with low blocks.

The Texans window has closed I think.
Foster's glory days are behind him. Andre had a nice season this year but his best days are way behind him too.
J-Mike88 is online now   Reply With Quote