Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 01-28-2014, 03:43 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't seen anything of Long yet so I can't really comment there.

As for Colvin I wouldn't look that way until probably the 3rd at the least. I never rated him as highly as a first rounder anyway. Add in that I think it is becoming overkill adding these 2nd and 3rd round DBs and that's why i don't want to go that way. I think unless they can get a defensive difference maker early the first few rounds should be on offense, be it TE, WR or offensive line

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:39 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Colvin was probably working his way into early round 2 before the injury so I think it starts with day 3.

I would love to get a player that can bend and replace Ninkovich on passing downs to give a true edge threat, not someone who gets sacks by working 120% I want someone who can beat the DE on talent alone like a Dee Ford, Chris Smith, DeMarcus Lawrence or Jeremiah Attaochu though Ford wold have to be a 1st and I doubt BB spends a 1 on a part time player. He always makes a point that the first round selections can play 4 downs.

Quote:
Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
David Yankey, G, Stanford
Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
Michael Sam, DE, Missouri
Dee Ford, DE, Auburn
Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame
Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn State
Aaaron Donald, DT, Pitt
Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
Matthews - struggled getting off the line at Sr bowl practices, reminds me to much of Dobson.

Swanson/Yankey - Both could be in play for round 1, I like Swanson more, plays 3 positions, very smart, strong enough for bull rush and quick enough to pivot. Weston Richburg is another center who could be a 2nd/3rd after a strong showing in Mobile.

Ealy/Sam/Ford - Sam is not for the pros an will most likely be a day 3. Ealy reminds me of Aldon Smith/Chandler Jones and should nd up top 20. Dee Ford made a bunch of money and wouldn't be suprised that he is a top 15.

Nix/Hageman/Jones/Donald - The Combine will decide wheather Nix is a early-mid or a late round 1, but in today's game he might be just a 2 down player. Same goes for Jones. I like Hageman, reminds me of Tommy Kelly, his height might hurt him with leverage on the inside. Who doesn't love Donald....Geno Atkins is the same size. I hated seeing Carter and Jones playing the 3-tech where Donald could be. I wouldn't mind Tuitt in round 1 cause he is much better than how he played this pass season and Easley would be a get in round 2. Justin Ellis is a freak for 340 pounds, is more of a 3-tech than a NT

Verrett is a playmaker but small, Jean-Baptise is a former WR like Sherman and still a little raw. A lot of CB's with size in this drat. Jean Baptise, Desir, McGill, Aikens, Gaines are all guys at least 6'-1"

I agree that a high rookie WR is not a good idea cause they can't be counted on....After the cuts there should be more WR's available but I wouldn't mind a mid-round speedster wheere we can keep Slater off the field. ie...Herron/Richardson/Davis/Hazel or a very tall redzone target ie....Bryant/Coleman/Street/Latimer

I would like to see a day 1/2 TE though. Forget Ebron, he will be top 15 after blowing up the combine, similar to Vernon Davis. Amaro is basically a big WR, no blocking with him, Seferian-Jenkins could be a steal if he makes it to round 2(a top 20 if healthy). Niklas/Grimble/Lynch are all atheltic TE's wit upside that can be had in rounds 2/3. Fiedorowicz/Jansen would be targets for round 4 but more of blocking TE's. There are some H-B TE's in day 3 that are athletic enough and can do some damage ie....Pederson/Rodgers/Murphy/Watson
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami

Last edited by RWills : 01-28-2014 at 07:44 AM.
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just going to go ahead and post my pipe dream FA signing now:

Brian Orakpo.

I'm banking on three factors here.
  1. The Redskins don't tag him. (no idea who they might have to tag)
  2. The Patriots are willing and able to pay BIG. (terribly unlikely)
  3. Orakpo wants to move back to DE +/- hybrid role. (stud in both systems anyway)

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:57 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There ae some good FA to be had, plus there will be a LOT of players who will be cut

Orakpo's injuries are adding up and scares me

DL
Greg Hardy - Multiyear(Dreaming)
Linval Joseph - Multiyear
Lamarr Houston - Multiyear
Michael Bennett - Multiyear
Henry Melton - 1 year

OL
Alex Mack - Multiyear(He is going to get a big deal though)
Old 01-28-2014, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Forum mock update:

With the #126 overall pick, we selected Notre Dame OG Chris Watt, someone who has started at left guard for the Irish over the past three seasons. He's a bit squat, but has great bulk and consequently is able to anchor well in pass protection, with solid awareness there as well. As a run blocker, he possesses above-average power and flashes a killer instinct when he's able to finish an opponent. He's a bit more of an inline guy than a zone guy, hasn't been asked to get to the second level too often but otherwise executes a variety of assignments in the run game. I expect New England to emphasize the power running game even more under DeGuglielmo, and wanted to come away from the draft with a candidate to develop into the team's starting right guard. Marcus Cannon is in the final year of his contract and looked much better at right tackle than right guard.

With the #146 overall pick, we selected Florida St. DB Terrence Brooks. He has started for the Seminoles over the past two seasons, playing mostly free safety but also moving down into the slot or the box on occasion while offering additional contributions on special teams, where his aggressive, physical temperament is well-suited. Despite being a little bit shorter than you'd like, he's got a thick build, tackles well, and is capable of playing off of blocks. Last year, he also demonstrated the ability to rush from the edge. He may not be a true deep center-fielder, more often playing downhill, but he's fast enough to potentially develop more there. While watching some interviews, I was impressed with his maturity and intelligence. Given that Tavon Wilson hasn't really developed as planned so far, and given the weakness of the free-agent crop at safety, Brooks made sense to me.

The draft so far is as follows:

1.19. DT Louis Nix, Notre Dame*
2.62. CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
4.126. OG Chris Watt, Notre Dame
5.146. DB Terrence Brooks, Florida St.
7.221. Pick traded to Tennessee for DL Karl Klug
Old 01-28-2014, 11:46 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

I think if our taking a OG in the draft....draft day 1/2....don't bother in day 3, sometimes UDFA have as much value. I got Watt as a UDFA as well

I like Brooks but him and Harmon are identical prospects
Old 01-28-2014, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Just going to go ahead and post my pipe dream FA signing now:

Brian Orakpo.
For me it's Michael Johnson. I would love to have him on the other side of Jones to help the pass rush.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:24 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
For me it's Michael Johnson. I would love to have him on the other side of Jones to help the pass rush.
I'd be fine with that, though he'd be a far distant second option. He gets a ton of pressure but doesn't finish. While that is still good, we seem to have that and really need a finisher. He has one 11 sack season and he averages under 4 per season for the other 4 years he's played.

Orakpo is damn close to 10 sacks per year and he's done it as a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 OLB. Yes, please.

Based on our history, Johnson is far more likely, as he'll be an incentive type deal.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:27 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Watching everydraft BB has had you see some similar patterns

Round 1 - 4 Down players
Round 2 - Gamble on high risk/reward
Round 3 - Part time player depth, developmentmental
Round 4 - BPA after re-organization of board
Round 5-UDFA - ST or longterm development
Old 01-28-2014, 01:43 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We're not going to spend big on any of the FA pass rushers. But if we do, it better be Greg Hardy for the love of all that is holy. Way better than Orakpo or Johnson and I have been pimping him for too long for it not too happen.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWills View Post
Watching everydraft BB has had you see some similar patterns

Round 1 - 4 Down players
Round 2 - Gamble on high risk/reward
Round 3 - Part time player depth, developmentmental
Round 4 - BPA after re-organization of board
Round 5-UDFA - ST or longterm development
The biggest two that I see are a reluctance to take anyone who hasn't been in college for at least four years and as you mentioned in the later rounds taking guys who are more developmental and probably weren't invited to the combine.

He hasn't selected a junior at all since the 2010 draft, and it was Hernandez. In the 2009 draft when he had 12 picks he spent nine of them on redshirt seniors and the other ones on fourth year seniors. He clearly has a big thing for seniors and team captains which is why when I see people giving the Pats Niklas or Amaro I just say to myself that's not going to happen, especially with Niklas who has only played the position for two years.

And then at the end of drafts like you said he likes to take developmental guys, or as I see it guys who weren't invited to the combine. Julian Edelman, Markell Carter, Nate Ebner, and Jeremy Ebert are the best examples in my opinion. Ebner is the best example of the type of player he likes to spend a late round pick on. He's doesn't have a lot of experience in football but is very athletic and was a talented rugby player and at the same time was one of his team's leaders while in college.

If there's one other thing that I've noticed it's that he'd rather take one of these developmental guys over a small school guy. He's only drafted one player who didn't go to an FBS school over the past five drafts.

Last edited by Jcn92 : 01-28-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Jcn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:50 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
We're not going to spend big on any of the FA pass rushers. But if we do, it better be Greg Hardy for the love of all that is holy. Way better than Orakpo or Johnson and I have been pimping him for too long for it not too happen.

I'd be happy with him, too.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:06 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
The biggest two that I see are a reluctance to take anyone who hasn't been in college for at least four years and as you mentioned in the later rounds taking guys who are more developmental and probably weren't invited to the combine.

He hasn't selected a junior at all since the 2010 draft, and it was Hernandez. In the 2009 draft when he had 11 picks he spent nine of them on redshirt seniors and the other ones on fourth year seniors. He clearly has a big thing for seniors and team captains which is why when I see people giving the Pats Niklas or Amaro I just say to myself that's not going to happen, especially with Niklas who has only played the position for two years.

And then at the end of drafts like you said he likes to take developmental guys, or as I see it guys who weren't invited to the combine. Julian Edelman, Markell Carter, Nate Ebner, and Jeremy Ebert are the best examples in my opinion. Ebner is the best example of the type of player he likes to spend a late round pick on. He's doesn't have a lot of experience in football but is very athletic and was a talented rugby player and at the same time was one of his team's leaders while in college.

If there's one other thing that I've noticed it's that he'd rather take one of these developmental guys over a small school guy. He's only drafted one player who didn't go to an FBS school over the past five drafts.
My memory isn't workin right now but I believe that Chandler Jones/Logan Ryan/Jerod Mayo were juniors, probably more but again...memory
Old 01-28-2014, 02:09 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Everybody on this planet knows that Julius Peppers will be cut. 34 year old will have to settle for a 1 year deal that I would take a flier on. Same goes for McFadden, another 1 year deal
Old 01-28-2014, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWills View Post
My memory isn't workin right now but I believe that Chandler Jones/Logan Ryan/Jerod Mayo were juniors, probably more but again...memory
Logan Ryan, Jerod Mayo and Chandler Jones were redshirt juniors and had four years of college experience and their degree. And Mayo was drafted in 08.

Last edited by Jcn92 : 01-28-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Jcn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Forum mock update:

With the first of three sixth-round selections, #174 overall, the Patriots selected Wake Forest wide receiver Michael Campanaro. He's started for the Deacons over the past three years, working in the slot, outside, as a returner (kicks and punts), and occasionally as a runner. Runs a lot of different routes - screens, wheels, whips, curls, posts, flats, etc., has nice awareness in zone and gets up to top-speed quickly. He's also a good blocker. In terms of his style of play, he's very similar to Danny Amendola (although considerably shorter), so I thought he'd make a nice insurance policy.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:39 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

What would you give up for Fitz?

Quote:
According to an "individual" CSN New England's Tom Curran believes "without reservation," the Patriots were interested in acquiring Larry Fitzgerald last offseason.

Curran is being extremely careful with his phrasing, but it's notable nonetheless. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported in October that moving Fitzgerald would be "in play" for the Cardinals this offseason. It's hard to imagine a better fit than the Patriots, who have a desperate need at receiver. Any potential move is greatly complicated by Fitzgerald's gargantuan $18 million salary-cap number, however. His play has also been on a slow, but steady nonetheless, downward slope. Few teams are more willing to make bold moves than Bill Belichick's Patriots, but acquiring Fitz wouldn't be easy.
He has add lingering hamstring injuries and would need to re-work his contract but I would try to give up a 2nd this and next then trade my first round for a 2nd and others. But I would think it starts with their 1st
Old 01-28-2014, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Not interested unless he dramatically slashed his price, and even then probably a third.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Forum mock update:

With the #182 overall pick, New England selected Utah linebacker Trevor Reilly. He's a little bit older than your typical prospect (twenty-six as a rookie), but is an effective pass rusher with great size and length, standing 6'5" and weighing 255 pounds. Utah plays him as both a strongside linebacker and a defensive end interchangeably, usually at linebacker. I like that he provides depth at two positions, someone who is capable of giving Ninkovich or Chandler Jones a break on the line or replacing Jamie Collins on the strongside. He tore his ACL in 2012 but ended up playing through the injury, a testament to his toughness.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Forum mock update:

With the #190 overall pick, New England selected Florida defensive back Jaylen Watkins. Watkins spent the past three years as a starter in the Gators' defensive backfield, bouncing back and forth between cornerback and safety while also contributing as a gunner on special teams. A tall, lanky cornerback with fluid hips, impressive top-end speed, and solid ball skills, Watkins makes up for his thin frame with his physicality, although at this point he often forgets his tackling technique. Watkins is the brother of Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins; his intelligence, maturity, versatility, and athleticism should make him a nice depth/special-teams addition. With that pick, New England has exhausted all of their choices in the draft. The full results are as follows:

1.19. DT Louis Nix, Notre Dame*

2.62. CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech

4.126. OG Chris Watt, Notre Dame

5.146. DB Terrence Brooks, Florida St.

6.174. WR Michael Campanaro, Wake Forest

6.182. LB Trevor Reilly, Utah

6.190. DB Jaylen Watkins, Florida

7.221. Pick traded to Tennessee for DL Karl Klug

Last edited by Matthew Jones : 01-28-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Matthew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:13 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Forum mock update:

With the #182 overall pick, New England selected Utah linebacker Trevor Reilly. He's a little bit older than your typical prospect (twenty-six as a rookie), but is an effective pass rusher with great size and length, standing 6'5" and weighing 255 pounds. Utah plays him as both a strongside linebacker and a defensive end interchangeably, usually at linebacker. I like that he provides depth at two positions, someone who is capable of giving Ninkovich or Chandler Jones a break on the line or replacing Jamie Collins on the strongside. He tore his ACL in 2012 but ended up playing through the injury, a testament to his toughness.
This is why I hate these things. Reilly will not get out of the 2nd round on talent, 3rd cause of injury. long armed freak athlete that played DE, OLB and MLB

Watkins also put himself in round 3/4 debate, very deep CB draft
Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Another thing to think about when it comes to FA.

McDaniels drafted both Decker and Moreno and are now FA's
Old 01-28-2014, 11:13 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get the calls for pass rushers. They'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that does what they ask Jones & Nink to do better than Jones & Nink. Depth is nice, but an additional pass rusher does nothing to improve the squad from 2013.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:25 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I don't get the calls for pass rushers. They'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that does what they ask Jones & Nink to do better than Jones & Nink. Depth is nice, but an additional pass rusher does nothing to improve the squad from 2013.
Your nutz, too often there is no pressure, the top defenses can press and rush four. Jones is our only pass rusher. Not knocking Ninkovich but he is not a feared pass rusher.

What really hurt them was pressure from the middle, we have yet to see what Armstead can do or a healthy Tommy Kelly but a real Melton/Atkins threat in the middle would be a great addition. Donald or Easley would look nice but I can't see BB using a round 1
Old 01-29-2014, 12:15 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Pats are currently projected to have $8.3m in cap space.
Numbers-wise (not talking about talent), they have a shortage at WR, TE, OL, LB, and CB (3.5 - counting Harmon as 1/2 S, 1/2 CB). They have a surplus at DL.

I propose cutting the following players (savings):
Dan Connolly ($2.5m)
Steve Gregory ($2.2m)
Isaac Sopoaga ($2m)

6.7m plus the $7.5m they'll likely be getting back because of Hernandez, and they're looking at $22.2m in cap space. Plenty enough to re-sign Talib & Edelman while securing other important assets. If they need more space, they can restructure Wilfork and/or McCourty.

The cuts and re-signing of Edelman & Talib leave the main draft (emphasis on draft) needs as TE, Interior OL x2, and CB. I previously sat on DT, but if they're bringing back both Kelly and Wilfork with the replacements they developed last year, I think resources are likely better-used elsewhere. Other considerations are a RB to push Bolden, LB depth, another TE if Hooman isn't re-signed, developmental QB, and if a WR with an elite skill-set is available.

I think Adrian Wilson is a highly underrated get-back for the Pats in 2014. The level of upgrade he is over Gregory is notable.