Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 01-29-2014, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I'll give you Tony Romo for the #8 pick if you ask nicely.
Heck you might as well go big and try for Manziel.

I've suggested that before but got my head chewed off for bringing it up.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Nameless Ghoul
Rookie

Nameless Ghoul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nameless Ghoul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nameless Ghoul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nameless Ghoul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nameless Ghoul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nameless Ghoul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nameless Ghoul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nameless Ghoul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nameless Ghoul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nameless Ghoul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nameless Ghoul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Carr would be a good pick for the Vikings. Get Ponder and David Carr out of your head. This is a different cat. He's pretty talented. He has some things that need to be cleaned up, but he's well worth the risk, IMO. It wouldn't surprise me if he goes to Oakland at 5 though.
Nameless Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:58 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsandgats View Post
just for fun
Jimmy Garoppolo 8.9 ypa 53/9 td/int
Hmmmm. Great, but a lotta picks and an even lower ypa than Dalton.

Interesting.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:02 PM    (permalink
worldtheofend
Rookie

worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend

Lack of pocket presence will kill Carr. Can't stand in the midst of turbulence
worldtheofend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:23 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Carr a lot, honestly. I have him as my #3 QB (behind Bridgewater and Bortles, ahead of Manziel), and I very much didn't care for Christian Ponder as a prospect.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:24 PM    (permalink
markulous
Rookie

markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtheofend View Post
Lack of pocket presence will kill Carr. Can't stand in the midst of turbulence
Couple that with his footwork and it's almost as much of a gamble that we made with Gabbert.
markulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:27 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markulous View Post
Couple that with his footwork and it's almost as much of a gamble that we made with Gabbert.
At least Gabbert faced decent competition in college, Carr doesn't have that going for him.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carr will be fine as long as he's never pressured.

Never, ever, ever.

ever.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:41 PM    (permalink
markulous
Rookie

markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
At least Gabbert faced decent competition in college, Carr doesn't have that going for him.
Carr's stats are obviously way better than Gabbert's were, but as you said, he did face weaker competition. Maybe he can develop, but who wants to take a development QB in the first few rounds? I sure don't.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:43 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markulous View Post
Carr's stats are obviously way better than Gabbert's were, but as you said, he did face weaker competition. Maybe he can develop, but who wants to take a development QB in the first few rounds? I sure don't.
With the new contract structure there is infinitely less risk in taking a QB early as there was even 5 years ago, but still he doesn't have anything that screams First Round talent. From what I've seen he won't be ready for live NFL action until 2017.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carr is a decent gamble in the 2nd or 3rd. He's a lesser prospect than Landry Jones or Matt Barkley though IMO.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:46 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
Carr is a decent gamble in the 2nd or 3rd. He's a lesser prospect than Landry Jones or Matt Barkley though IMO.
I'd say on par with Jones but better than Barkley.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:50 PM    (permalink
markulous
Rookie

If he was there in the 3rd, Garraopolo, Fales, and Mett are gone, then I wouldn't be too pissed. But definitely no sooner than that.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:08 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

FWIW, I had a 6-UDFA grade on Landry Jones. Absolutely hated him as a prospect. I think Derek Carr runs circles around him. I also think he's a better prospect than Barkley. I can understand being worried about him under pressure, as he hasn't shown he can do much when faced with consistent pressure. But Tom Brady has shown a HOF QB can go from that to mediocre if you get in his face a lot. I think you put Carr in a west coast offense that gets the ball out of his hands quickly, and he'll be fine.

I think he's a 1st round talent. But I wouldn't dare take him at 8. Probably not until the 20s.
rawdawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:13 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I wouldn't touch Carr in the top 15, but late first round is relatively low risk. It's not the end of the world if a late first round pick doesn't pan out. It didn't kill the Broncos to use a late first on Tim Tebow. The Seahawks have played this entire season without their 2013 first round pick. Some team would be smart to try to get Carr in the late first. If the Vikings like him, they should see about trading back from 8 or trading up from the 2nd. That being said, he seems like a guy who will need time before developing into a quality starter. Do the Vikings really want to wait for a QB to develop while they have some talented guys in their prime. Another example of why they should trade AD.
It didn't kill the Broncos because Peyton Manning had 5 neck surgeries and was a rare case of a HoF QB with something left in the tank being available on the FA market.
rawdawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
I'd say on par with Jones but better than Barkley.
Yeah, you know, I think he's about level with Landry Jones for me. Basically the same traits, but with more athleticism. (Read: foot speed.) Landry Jones would've destroyed the WAC, too.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For that matter, Jones destroyed the Big12
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
For that matter, Jones destroyed the Big12
and I still wouldn't have touched him until the third day. I do wonder if Carr is a player whose stock is much lower in actual scouts' eyes. But if he goes in the first... I think it's going to be like Blaine Gabbert all over again. He's not nearly as annoying, brah, but he's terrible when pressured, and that is the one trait that will make me simply pass on a quarterback prospect, regardless of how well he can spin the ball. Guys who get flustered in the pocket are simply useless in the NFL. There's no point in drafting them with anything other than a flyer. If you want to win playoff games, you can't be starting a quarterback who can't handle pressure in his face and a messy pocket. Doesn't work.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:46 PM    (permalink
worldtheofend
Rookie

worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
and I still wouldn't have touched him until the third day. I do wonder if Carr is a player whose stock is much lower in actual scouts' eyes. But if he goes in the first... I think it's going to be like Blaine Gabbert all over again. He's not nearly as annoying, brah, but he's terrible when pressured, and that is the one trait that will make me simply pass on a quarterback prospect, regardless of how well he can spin the ball. Guys who get flustered in the pocket are simply useless in the NFL. There's no point in drafting them with anything other than a flyer. If you want to win playoff games, you can't be starting a quarterback who can't handle pressure in his face and a messy pocket. Doesn't work.
THIS

At the end of the day a qb must be ability to through into pressure. If he can't, he is practically useless for being a viable contender. Heck even just winning games
worldtheofend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:48 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
Gabbert in hindsight should have been a 5th round prospect. I have a much, much higher regard for Carr's overall game.

I don't mind if a QB has problems dealing with pressure in the pocket. They all do.

The question is, how do they react to it??
Is Derek Carr the kind of QB who's going to panic in the face of the passrush and throw INTs?? Will he duck his head, open up his body and fumble on contact? Will he stand tall and make his short/long read and throw an accurate ball??

Or will he bail from the pocket but still look to make a play downfield??

I definitely don't want a QB who's flat out scared in the pocket. But I don't think Derek has that issue.

I haven't seen enough snaps of Carr against pressure to know if he has a fatal problem dealing with it or not, but there's no way he can be as bad as Gabbert was at it.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:42 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After watching some of his game footage, him deep ball just looks absolutely atrocious. Overthrown every time. A little reminiscent of Andre Woodson (minus the awkward release). He is decent on intermediate passes however. Gut feeling is still **** though.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:12 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Bird View Post
Mettenberger would be a great fit in a Norv Turner offense, and you can probably get him in the 2nd. I like him better than I do Carr.
Agreed, in fact Cam Cameron was schooled by Turner, basically runs the same offense. I hate Norv but if you're going to run that offense Mettenberger's my pick so long as his knee checks out.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdawg View Post
It didn't kill the Broncos because Peyton Manning had 5 neck surgeries and was a rare case of a HoF QB with something left in the tank being available on the FA market.
Which doesn't change the fact that it didn't kill the Broncos. It also doesn't change the fact that the Seahawks have played the entire season without their first rounder. A late first round pick is a low risk investment for a team that needs a QB.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:54 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
Agreed, in fact Cam Cameron was schooled by Turner, basically runs the same offense. I hate Norv but if you're going to run that offense Mettenberger's my pick so long as his knee checks out.
Fwiw, Mettenbergers knee should bee fine. From what I've seen, he should be ready for his Pro Day sometime late april.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:03 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd take the gamble with Carr from pick #25 on. Missing on a late 1st won't kill you. Carr has good tools and a strong arm. His numbers are inflated for sure but he was a very good QB in college. He is fairly mobile. I liked Ponder a lot as a 2nd round QB and I have Carr slightly above him. Ponder was too limited at a certain point in the NFL.

I have him rated above Barkley mostly because I thought Barkley had limitations Carr doesn't. Carr has a better arm and is a better athlete. I still think Barkley can be a decent player but he has to find the right fit somewhat like Dalton.

Gabbert was so ******* bad at playing QB. He has all the tools you want, and thats why he was drafted high, but he just isn't a good QB and bailed at the first sign of pressure. Him in the Insight Bowl against Iowa was the best thing ever. He bails out of the pocket from phantom pressure and runs to the sideline and throws a ball while fading straight to a linebacker. It was perfect Gabbert.

Landry Jones just wasn't that good of a prospect. He had nice size but I was meh on his arm. He was just a clear step down from watching Bradford in the same offense so I just didn't see it. I thought he lacked a lot of confidence at times. He threw it a lot and put up a lot of stats accordingly but didn't really stand out. He was good but never even a special college player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote