Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-11-2014, 08:28 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Media Darling QB?

In recent years we've had a media darling QB. A player that the media has rightly or wrongly talked up ad nausea. Andy Dalton, Kirk Cousins, Bret Hoyer come to mind. Who will it be this year?

Pre senior bowl I would have said AJ McCarron, but he seems to have some negative buzz at the moment.

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:39 AM    (permalink
E_Bird
Veteran

E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I had to guess, I'd say Jimmy Garappolo.
E_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:04 AM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd say Derek Carr is going to be the most talked up this year. He's going to look great at the combine and run a faster 40 than most people expect. Leading up to the draft everyone is going to talk about how great his offseason was and the numbers he put up this season. They'll also mention his work ethic and point out that he stayed after practice at the Senior Bowl. Finally there will be countless mentions of his brother and whether or not that will effect how NFL personnel perceive him. Garoppolo will also be up there though.
fredder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:12 AM    (permalink
E_Bird
Veteran

E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

fredder, where would you draft Carr (assuming your'e a team needing a QB, obviously)? I can't like him before the 2nd RD.
E_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:25 AM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Johnny Manziel
Old 02-11-2014, 09:45 AM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Bird View Post
fredder, where would you draft Carr (assuming your'e a team needing a QB, obviously)? I can't like him before the 2nd RD.
I just realized that my post sounded like I was praising Carr. I was just saying that the media is going to ignore the game tape that we've all watched and just focus on Carr's offseason. I said after his terrible bowl game that Carr's image was going to get built back up this offseason because he has excellent physical tools and looks impressive when he's not facing a pass rush.

Personally I would hope to be able to pick him in the 20s but I don't think he's going to last that long. I feel the same way about Bortles where I don't have a top 10 grade on him but that's where he's going to go. I have him as my #4 QB and rated slightly behind Bortles. I'd say that I'm not as down on him as most people are but I agree about the criticisms.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:22 AM    (permalink
Camp Arm
Rookie

Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Manziel by far.
Camp Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:32 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Manziel, Johnathan.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:41 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

definitely manziel lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:44 AM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

I don't think he meant "Which QB will be talked about the most?". That would obviously be Manziel. I think he meant "Which QB will the media hype up the most and generally say good things about relative to their draft stock?". Basically the guy who every media draft analysts keeps saying has all of these positive attributes, they rarely mention his flaws, but then they say "He's a good solid 2nd round pick". They hype him up like a top QB prospect but his position on their board doesn't reflect that. I feel like Manziel and Bridgewater are going to be the opposite and analysts are going to bring up any little concern they can think of but then still rate them as top 5 picks.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I think this thread is dumb and another way of whining about QBs being the NFL's glamour position.

Here's one that comes to mind btw:
Old 02-11-2014, 12:21 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Most talked about - Manziel

Hype train - Bortles

Over analyzed - Bridgewater

Diamond in the rough - Jimmy G

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still don't know what people see in Jimmy Garoppolo, so that's the name I'll throw out. Seems like a lot of people want to be the one's who "always knew he'd be good"; I really don't see anything to get excited about. What's he got on Matt Barkley?
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Manziel x10000000000000..
Old 02-11-2014, 11:17 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
I still don't know what people see in Jimmy Garoppolo, so that's the name I'll throw out. Seems like a lot of people want to be the one's who "always knew he'd be good"; I really don't see anything to get excited about. What's he got on Matt Barkley?
Garoppolo looked comparatively good at the Senior Bowl. And by that I mean he looked the least bad.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:19 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

Quote:
This coming from one of the guys trying to hype up Brett Smith? To answer your question though Garoppolo has enough size for the position, NFL caliber arm strength, the faster release in this draft, and generally good accuracy. His touch on deep balls is particularly impressive. He still needs to work on his mechanics and it's not clear if he can adjust to the speed of the NFL. I still don't think anybody has said he should be in the 1st round picture but he has NFL caliber tools so he's worth taking in the 2nd or later.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:30 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredder View Post
This coming from one of the guys trying to hype up Brett Smith?
Yup. You're off to a good start.

Quote:
To answer your question though Garoppolo has enough size for the position, NFL caliber arm strength,
So, nothing to separate him from a solid 10 or 15 prospects so far...

Quote:
the faster release in this draft,
Nope. That's Brett Smith.

Quote:
and generally good accuracy.
And you can say that about a lot of players.

Quote:
His touch on deep balls is particularly impressive.
One notable trait so far. A guy you think can be an NFL starter needs to be able to do something special. So, thus far you're hanging your hat on his deep touch.

Quote:
He still needs to work on his mechanics and it's not clear if he can adjust to the speed of the NFL.
But.... you don't like Brett Smith?

Quote:
I still don't think anybody has said he should be in the 1st round picture but he has NFL caliber tools so he's worth taking in the 2nd or later.
I've certainly seen people say he could sneak into the first round. For me, I see the tools. I see the body type and the arm and think, "Alright, he's got some NFL tools." But the way he plays just looks ordinary to me. He's not exciting. Maybe that's fine, but to me he's like an Andy Dalton, Matt Barkley kind of prospect; a good player with "enough" of everything and also has some really nice throws in his highlight reel. But I just don't see anything about his game that makes me think he can put the team on his back, so to speak. I think he could be a solid player, sure, but I wouldn't take him in the second. For that I have to see something special, something more than "touch" to separate him.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:53 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

Quote:
Yup. You're off to a good start.

So, nothing to separate him from a solid 10 or 15 prospects so far...

Nope. That's Brett Smith.

And you can say that about a lot of players.

One notable trait so far. A guy you think can be an NFL starter needs to be able to do something special. So, thus far you're hanging your hat on his deep touch.

But.... you don't like Brett Smith?

I've certainly seen people say he could sneak into the first round. For me, I see the tools. I see the body type and the arm and think, "Alright, he's got some NFL tools." But the way he plays just looks ordinary to me. He's not exciting. Maybe that's fine, but to me he's like an Andy Dalton, Matt Barkley kind of prospect; a good player with "enough" of everything and also has some really nice throws in his highlight reel. But I just don't see anything about his game that makes me think he can put the team on his back, so to speak. I think he could be a solid player, sure, but I wouldn't take him in the second. For that I have to see something special, something more than "touch" to separate him.
So he's like an Andy Dalton but you wouldn't take him in the 2nd round? Do you think the average 2nd round QB prospect is better than Andy Dalton? At worst his release is just as quick as Brett Smith but personally I think it's faster. Yes his mechanics are sloppy at times but he's not a complete mess like Smith at this point. I don't know why you expect to find great QB prospects in the 2nd round. For the record I have him rated similarly to McCarron and behind Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, Carr, and Mettenberger.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:15 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This coming from one of the guys trying to hype up Brett Smith? To answer your question though Garoppolo has enough size for the position, NFL caliber arm strength, the faster release in this draft, and generally good accuracy. His touch on deep balls is particularly impressive. He still needs to work on his mechanics and it's not clear if he can adjust to the speed of the NFL. I still don't think anybody has said he should be in the 1st round picture but he has NFL caliber tools so he's worth taking in the 2nd or later.
I agree, except, he couldn't sustain a good start at the Senior Bowl. I still think he could surprise as a pro, the tools are there except for the hand size which could limit his potential. His release speed is very impressive.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:36 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
So he's like an Andy Dalton but you wouldn't take him in the 2nd round? Do you think the average 2nd round QB prospect is better than Andy Dalton? At worst his release is just as quick as Brett Smith but personally I think it's faster. Yes his mechanics are sloppy at times but he's not a complete mess like Smith at this point. I don't know why you expect to find great QB prospects in the 2nd round. For the record I have him rated similarly to McCarron and behind Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, Carr, and Mettenberger.
Sorry, I'm speaking from the perspective of my personal draft philosophy without explaining it. The way I see it, I basically want a first round guy - in this draft, I see Manziel, Bortles and Bridgewater as prospects who profile, to me, as obvious starters - and if I can't have one of those, I want to take a guy not in the second, but in the middle rounds, who to me, has some special trait, and I think of them as a gamble or a developmental prospect. So if I'm looking for a QB going into this draft, but didn't have a chance on one of the big three, I'd be stocking on on other positions through the first three rounds, and then (of course, to some degree depending who's on the board), I'm thinking, "Alright... is Mettenberger here? (tough pocket presence, huge arm, can drive the ball to the sideline accurately, but has some warts)... Is Brett Smith here? (looks almost ridiculous at times, but has the "gamer" mentality if I've ever seen it, has really good athleticism and elusiveness to both buy time to throw and pick up first downs, pressure doesn't phase him)... Or maybe Garoppolo or McCarron? (guys who look solid and don't seem to have major flaws, but no huge pluses, either)."

So, after the highly sought-after prospect are gone, I'm not going to just take the next-best one in the second - I'm going to add players I know will contribute positively to my team while having an eye out for quarterbacks I think have potential but are going to go later. This is also kind of a unique year for me, in that I think there's a strong group at the top, and then several guys with exemplary traits, (Mettenberger and Smith, primarily for me), who could be around later. I wouldn't have drafted Dalton in the second, but I don't want to argue with people who would. Too many Kevin Kolbs and John Becks in the world who've got these good college resumes and no glaring weaknesses who simply aren't that effective. So I'm content to let other teams draft those players and pick Brett Smith at the top of the 4th and let him run around and do his thing, and at that slot I haven't cost myself a key player at another position if he doesn't pan out. If Garoppolo is one of those guys still available in the 4th, I think that's a good pick, but since he's clearly a step down from the "franchises," I'd rather pick from other positions over the first two days.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:33 AM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Spot on - indeed Barkley was a little more polished.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:18 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I really don't see anything to get excited about. What's he got on Matt Barkley?
Considerably better college coaching.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with Manziel. It just seems like they are trying there best to make him be a top five pick.

I don't necessarily dislike him, but I see him as a 'trade back up into the end of the first" kind of guy.
Lil Quip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:01 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll go with the QB that has no business in the top 5 who currently is getting that kind of hype...

Johnny Manziel

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote