Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-16-2014, 11:02 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Calvin Pryor vs Ha'sean Clinton Dix

Who do you guys prefer as the top safety in this class? To me it seems like "haha" is a bit hesitant in the run game and isn't a reliable tackler at all. I just hate how non-physical he looks out there.

I would take both Pryor and Joyner over him but would like some other opinions.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:19 PM    (permalink
SRogers92
Rookie

SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

HaHa for sure. I don't see any hesitancy in him at all, when he attacks, he attacks. Besides, most view him as FS anyway, so you'll want to see someone who can patrol center field and man up on TEs/slot WRs at times, which he does very effectively.

With his size/athleticism and how young he is, you'd have to think there's a lot of room for growth, too.
SRogers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:33 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure why Ha Ha is even a top prospect, besides being from Alabama. He looks extremely average in almost every facet. Mentally, I think he's just a step slow, and I don't believe he's a great enough athlete to mask that.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:12 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I'm not sure why Ha Ha is even a top prospect, besides being from Alabama. He looks extremely average in almost every facet. Mentally, I think he's just a step slow, and I don't believe he's a great enough athlete to mask that.
Pretty much my thoughts.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:50 AM    (permalink
E_Bird
Veteran

E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pryor hits harder and plays faster, but he's going to have to clean up his tackling form. If he drops his shoulder and doesn't wrap up against big-time NFL WR's, he's going to give up big plays. Dix doesn't hit as hard, but he's the more solid tackler.

Both can look lost in coverage. I currently - very slightly - favor Dix, but I have both behind Ward.
E_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:50 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pryor and its not even really close in my eyes. If Pryor played at Bama, everyone would be drooling over him. I understand he didn't face SEC competition but his play really stands on its own. Don't get the love for Dix. He looks good but nothing about him really stands out to me. Pryor and Joyner jump off the screen. Ward is silky smooth and crafty. Dix idk...I just don't see it. Honestly, I was more impressed with Sunseri. If your really high on man coverage for your safety than you'll probably drop Pryor for that, because he wasn't asked to mirror TEs and man the slot. But I don't necessarily think he couldn't do it if you needed him to.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-17-2014 at 08:52 AM.
VAfy-ya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:35 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Bird View Post
Pryor hits harder and plays faster, but he's going to have to clean up his tackling form. If he drops his shoulder and doesn't wrap up against big-time NFL WR's, he's going to give up big plays. Dix doesn't hit as hard, but he's the more solid tackler.

Both can look lost in coverage. I currently - very slightly - favor Dix, but I have both behind Ward.
Pretty much this. I'd pass on both in the first round to be honest.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 AM    (permalink
SRogers92
Rookie

SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Absolutely not sure what Dix clips you watched to say he needs to work on in coverage. Just watched A&M and Va. Tech game from this season. Notre Dame and Georgia game from last season and Dix was a stud.

Good recognition on run plays, made big hits, even when he did give up a reception(which was albeit seldom), he was usually there within a split second and even caused two incompletes because of that. His man to man coverage on the slot WRs was amazing, too. I'm really baffled at the sentiment amongst amateur scouts that he has coverage issues -- he's way better than Mark Barron in that regards.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:58 AM    (permalink
worldtheofend
Rookie

worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Pryor and its not even really close in my eyes. If Pryor played at Bama, everyone would be drooling over him. I understand he didn't face SEC competition but his play really stands on its own. Don't get the love for Dix. He looks good but nothing about him really stands out to me. Pryor and Joyner jump off the screen. Ward is silky smooth and crafty. Dix idk...I just don't see it. Honestly, I was more impressed with Sunseri. If your really high on man coverage for your safety than you'll probably drop Pryor for that, because he wasn't asked to mirror TEs and man the slot. But I don't necessarily think he couldn't do it if you needed him to.
SEC offenses are average at best...

That being said, Pryor is much better than Dix
worldtheofend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:53 PM    (permalink
SRogers92
Rookie

Just watched the entire Oklahoma game on video, and again Dix didn't show any issues in coverage whatsoever. In fact, he gave up one completion for about 7 yards either in his zone or in man to man all game long. And, on the completion he was in great position and even got a hand on the ball, the WR #8 Saunders just made an incredible play.

I know this time of year everyone like to nitpick top prospects, but not seeing these supposed issues I hear about only on these boards.

It's at around the 36:50 mark of the Bama/Oklahoma game on youtube.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too close to call right now, the Combine will separate them. I don't believe Joyner is in their class. The Combine presents an even playing field so where you come from has no meaning, just have to see who comes out on top.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:09 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clinton Dix reminds me of Roman Harper

I personally like Pryor a lot more, dude is a missile. He and Sharmako Thomas would be awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:32 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Dix is more of a centerfielder FS. I think he has better coverage ability than Pryor, but I don't think Pryor will kill you if you put him back in the deep middle. But I think Pryor can play the Kam Chancellor role and hit everything that moves in front of him from the SS position.

Basically in short, I think Pryor can do almost everything Dix can do in coverage, but can also play in the box. Pryor > Clinton-Dix.

Also like to point out, Pryor didn't have any penalized hits this year, to my knowledge. Some of them are extremely hard and violent, but never got a targeting ejection or late hit.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:17 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really think Haha is underrated in his tackling/run support ability. Pryor is a much more violent hitter and was used downhill more often but Haha is a very good tackler. He's not a pure finesse center fielder. The A&M tape has some really, really nice open field, solo tackles on Manziel. That's not easy.

He is best as a centerfielder but he also will give you an excellent second level defender against the run. Pryor can be used more as a dagger to stab through weakness in run formations and get TFLs but Haha can be an excellent shield against longer runs and QB scrambles.

Overall I like both of these guys better than anyone since the Berry/Thomas class and I think either is equal to the prospect Thomas was (not better, but equal.)

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:46 PM    (permalink
D-Shiznit
Rookie

D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mayock has Pryor over HaHa, that's all I need to know. The man knows DBs.
D-Shiznit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Shiznit View Post
Mayock has Pryor over HaHa, that's all I need to know. The man knows DBs.
Yeah, but Mayock usually says prior to the Combine, that he is just starting to review his film and has a lot of work to do before he can actually finalize a true list, so I don't think you can assume that Pryor ahead of Nix is fixed in stone.
The Combine presents a level playing field where true ability has a real chance to shine through.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:38 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pryor's physicality and flexibility can be free or strong safety) within a defense is what makes me gravitate towards him moreso than HaHa.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:00 PM    (permalink
E_Bird
Veteran

E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dix gave up his fair share of plays against A&M. My preference between the two would come down to scheme and what I already have. If I need a deep safety, someone I trust to prevent big plays and make sure tackles, I like Dix. If I need a safety to play around the box or in 2-deep (as opposed to single-high) and make big plays, I'd lean towards Pryor - assuming I'm confident that he'll place a priority on wrapping up.

Depending on the situation, I'd start considering either around the 15th pick.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:28 PM    (permalink
MrSmith88
Rookie

MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

If you want a playmaker with a high ceiling take Pryor. I don't see HaHa being anything more than average in the nfl. Just a safe player.
MrSmith88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:31 PM    (permalink
SRogers92
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Bird View Post
Dix gave up his fair share of plays against A&M. My preference between the two would come down to scheme and what I already have. If I need a deep safety, someone I trust to prevent big plays and make sure tackles, I like Dix. If I need a safety to play around the box or in 2-deep (as opposed to single-high) and make big plays, I'd lean towards Pryor - assuming I'm confident that he'll place a priority on wrapping up.

Depending on the situation, I'd start considering either around the 15th pick.
Please do point this out to me. Watched that game and Dix alone, he gave up one pass where he somehow ended up one versus one on Evans.

Mayock will end up changing his board 20x like everyone else. Dix is a better prospect/player.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:47 PM    (permalink
E_Bird
Veteran

13:51 Dix has deep safety responsibilities. Evans makes a catch inside the 10 with Dix still yards away.

8:27 Manziel splits the CB and Dix and hits Evans. Dix is able to tackle Evans inside the 5.

9:40 of the 3rd Manziel throws the ball right through his zone - not over, but through.

Four plays - including the one where he covered Evans.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:30 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmith88 View Post
If you want a playmaker with a high ceiling take Pryor. I don't see HaHa being anything more than average in the nfl. Just a safe player.
This is pretty close to my feelings about them. If Pryor can learn to be more consistent and controlled on the field I think he can emerge as one of the best players from this draft. HaHa is a safer player than Pryor as he makes less mental mistakes but I don't see the same playmaking ability that I see in Pryor. I wouldn't say that HaHa's ceiling is only an average player in the NFL but IMO it's not as high as Pryor's.
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:17 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Dix was really bad in the Auburn game.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:44 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd go Pryor every time, so much more of an impact player..

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:31 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmith88 View Post
Exactly, hes roman harper. Harper played at bama, similar size, was a 2nd round guy, and its just pretty average. I think they are insanely similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote