Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-26-2014, 10:01 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Official Career Thread

Post about work, and career stuff here, what you hate, what you like....just that type of ****....ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:16 AM    (permalink
StickSkills
Veteran

StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well currently a senior at Penn State. Been applying to jobs lately. Applied for one with the University of New Hampshire Athletics, in which Coach Chambers said he would write a letter of recommendation for me, and then I also applied for one with the NY Mets, in which a PSU alum that works at MSG said she would pass along my resume for me, so fingers crossed.
StickSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:19 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm starting at Penn State this summer. Plan on getting an engineering management masters degree to compliment my work experience. Now that i've joined the darkside of engineering I need the educational requirements to support my work experience.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickSkills View Post
Well currently a senior at Penn State. Been applying to jobs lately. Applied for one with the University of New Hampshire Athletics, in which Coach Chambers said he would write a letter of recommendation for me, and then I also applied for one with the NY Mets, in which a PSU alum that works at MSG said she would pass along my resume for me, so fingers crossed.
Thats pretty sweet, I saw you post that in the RDT. What would you be doing for the Mets? Just ticket sales or?

I grew up playing against a kid who's dad is the owner of the Spokane Indians (short season A for the Rangers). I talked with him about possibly doing some marketing stuff for the team, and he said all he could offer me was a ticket sales job and he really encouraged me not to do that. Just old me to stay at my current job and get back to him when I have more experience.

However, I wish I would have taken it because I know I can sell baseball tickets, and it would give me an in to work myself up into the marketing position eventually.

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:30 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm always looking for new horizons. Anyone ever used a head hunter? How does that process work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:32 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've gotten all of my jobs through head hunters or personal connections. They're valuable. Just applying online is pretty useless, no one will see your resume.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:53 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How convenient this thread popped up. I just turned in my resignation letter at my current place today. Last day will be next Friday. Going to another CRE firm that's paying a tiny bit more. But my commute will go down from a 40 minute drive (on a good day) to a 10 minute walk.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:54 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
How convenient this thread popped up. I just turned in my resignation letter at my current place today. Last day will be next Friday. Going to another CRE firm that's paying a tiny bit more. But my commute will be go down from a 40 minute drive (on a good day) to a 10 minute walk.
Good for you, I wish I had the balls to turn in my resignation letter that is sitting on my desk.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2014, 11:06 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Military. Officer. Right now in charge of Combat Electronics division (mainly radars and communications for the ship)
then I'm off to take over a division in Reactor Department on a carrier in about a year.

Deployments suck.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:10 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

How long are deployments on average?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was trying to explain to someone the other day what I do, first I had to explain the general field, then my specific place in it. Usually I stick with "nerd stuff" when people ask.

Anyway, probably the 'easiest' description is Data Architect specializing in Business Intelligence solutions. And I like to add my background is data migration (which I feel like helps people in the business judge how you got into data modeling).

Back into the matrix I go.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:17 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Oh we're supposed to say what we do?

I'm a project engineer in the biotech industry. I specialize in process improvement and cost reduction projects in the manufacturing of large molecules for cancer therapy.

Mainly I specialize in upstream engineering, which involves cell culture. That involves mainly bioreactor development, qualification and commissioning. But there's a lot more to it than that.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:18 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

I'm a project engineer in the biotech industry. I specialize in process improvement and cost reduction projects in the manufacturing of large molecules for cancer therapy.

Mainly I specialize in upstream engineering, which involves cell culture. That involves mainly bioreactor development, qualification and commissioning. But there's a lot more to it than that.
Yeah. That sounds like a very Brown person job.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:20 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:

I don't know if we are supposed to say what we do...just a place to talk about work stuff, and throw ideas around, but if we are...

...I am a "marketing partner" at a social media advertising start up...

Quote:
Old 02-26-2014, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Marketing Coordinator at Coldwell Banker Commercial at the moment

Marketing Coordinator at Marcus And Millichap next week.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:23 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Yeah. That sounds like a very Brown person job.
Pretty much. Although I must say, the engineering division is mostly white dudes. The R&D and development side is all brown and asian. I started out in development and then transitioned to the engineering side. I feel like that gives me an advantage bc I understand both the science and engineering behind what we're trying to do.

In a good program, scientists and engineers should work together to accomplish a goal. Having me with a science background is a nice buffer btw the 2. I'm able to see things others don't.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:49 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How long are deployments on average?
They used to be six months, give or a take a couple months.
Navy is extending them out to nine months now as the new norm.
My ship just did a ten and half deployement.
I was on it for the last four months and that sucked.
I can't imagine it

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:10 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I've gotten all of my jobs through head hunters or personal connections. They're valuable. Just applying online is pretty useless, no one will see your resume.
What is the cost associated with it? I know some are actually paid for by the hiring company.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
Old 02-26-2014, 12:20 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
What is the cost associated with it? I know some are actually paid for by the hiring company.
If it's a full time gig, then the recruiter charges the hiring company a certain percentage.

If it's a consultant gig, then the billing rate that the company charges the client is not your salary. They bill the client, and then pay you. So say for example, let's say the billing rate is 100k to Company X by Firm Y.

Now as an employee of Firm Y, you'll get (or should get) 80% of the billing rate, which is 80k. And the firm gets 20k.

You have to be careful though, because when you negotiate, you're negotiating with the firm, not the hiring company. So the hiring company is paying X amount of money regardless of what you get paid. So the key is to make sure you get as much out of the firm as you can, because the less they pay you the more they keep for themselves.

Some firms will try to give you 50 or 60% of the bill rate, and screw you. So you have to know market value and how to squeeze as much as you can out of them in order to do a proper negotiation.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:39 PM    (permalink
RufusMcDaniel
Mage Bros
Pro Bowler

RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

**** you cover letters.
RufusMcDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:40 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusMcDaniel View Post
**** you cover letters.
Yeah, yeah **** em.

Cover letters ****** suck.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2014, 12:43 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Quote:
If it's a full time gig, then the recruiter charges the hiring company a certain percentage.
Yeah, I'm looking for a full time gig. I'd like to say in the Government Sector (currently a Logistics Specialist and Database Administrator for the Army). Really I just want to get out of Alabama.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 02-26-2014, 04:11 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Graduating in the fall from Concord University (very southern part of West Virginia) with a B.A. in Geography with minors in Pre-Law and Sports Geography. Will have a solid resume with Bonner Scholars (community service) with internship at Campus Kitchens at UMASS-Boston and also in Americorps. Will also be helping with Upward Bound (high school kids learning during summer before college). I will also have a clerkship during the summer, but with who yet I do not know.

A lot of stuff for a resume I think, which will look good. My only problem is where I want to live in Boston, and theres a few colleges there with Geography Programs with specific emphasizes. But, I am not tooooooo picky about a job, just one that hopefully is in the NPO sector.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:28 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Yeah, yeah **** em.

Cover letters ****** suck.
Cover letters can mean more than your resume. By a lot.

As a hiring manager, I want to see why you want to work for me. What skills, ideas, or motivation is going to make me want to hire you? Lots of people have awesome resumes but then they suck as people or as fits for a position.

I know it's tedious, but when you are applying for a job, put some effort into that cover letter.

Don't just say "I have xyz skills and think I'd be a great fit for your company." Explain why you are awesome, stuff that isn't on your resume.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:29 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a mobile developer. I make iOS and Android apps. It's a ******* awesome market to be in right now. Especially if you are a real engineer and not some hacker script kiddie.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote