Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 04-23-2014, 07:27 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
I thought you needed work experience to get a decent MBA anyways.
No, I know UVA has a good MBA program but you don't have to have professional experience. It helps but it isn't required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
No, I know UVA has a good MBA program but you don't have to have professional experience. It helps but it isn't required.
I know it's not technically required. Just from what I've heard, unless you're a premier student with a great resume coming out, you're better served working for awhile if you want to get into the good MBA programs.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:48 PM    (permalink
NotRickJames
Veteran

NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The worst of the worst people I've ever known in my life all went to UVA. ALL of them.

But hey best wishes.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:21 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've kicked around getting an MBA to try to transition my career a little bit, but the opportunity cost is pretty huge. Hard to get out of actuarial work with almost exclusively a numbers background though.
derza222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:45 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In the process of writing a curriculum vitae and it is so boring. I understand the need, but I highly doubt I would need one.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
In the process of writing a curriculum vitae and it is so boring. I understand the need, but I highly doubt I would need one.
Do you want to work in academia or medical? If not, probably a waste of time.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:21 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Do you want to work in academia or medical? If not, probably a waste of time.
Exactly, but for my capstone it is required. :/
Old 04-24-2014, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's actually probably harder to get hired with an MBA in a lot of cases, especially with no experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i don't buy that an MBA will get you anything but behind, in comparison to just getting actual experience.

i'm hiring the guy who's actually done it 10/10 times over the guy who went to school longer to learn it.

*shrug*

Thanks for confirming the stuff I have heard about MBA. My current theory will be use the free tuition on another bachelors just to increase my grades so I can hopefully get into a better MBA program down the road or whatever program I will be looking at. I just accepted a internship at northwestern mutual so if I am still with that company we will see what they suggest.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:33 AM    (permalink
StickSkills
Veteran

StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Have a phone interview tomorrow with Air Force Academy Athletics.
StickSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

doing what? Sports information?
Old 04-25-2014, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just got an official offer from my new place. Getting myself a nice $12,000 raise. Somebody ******* internet fist bump me!
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:24 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Just got an official offer from my new place. Getting myself a nice $12,000 raise. Somebody ******* internet fist bump me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:33 PM    (permalink
StickSkills
Veteran

StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
doing what? Sports information?
Graphic Design and Website/Social Media manager for AFA.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:20 PM    (permalink
StickSkills
Veteran

Damn, I'm a marketing intern for Penn State baseball. I've been working on a student group sale for the baseball game. The group that I got to come has 158 people coming. My boss ******* loves me right now.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotRickJames View Post
The worst of the worst people I've ever known in my life all went to UVA. ALL of them.

But hey best wishes.
As an undergrad student at UVA I approve this message.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:55 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you guys ever have those moments where you're partially regretting your career field and question everything you've ever done in life?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:07 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
you guys ever have those moments where you're partially regretting your career field and question everything you've ever done in life?
I absolutely do. I had a chance to take a job in Orlando. Unfortunately, it would have been about a 10K pay cut. I turned it down and now I'm still living in Alabama.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
Old 04-28-2014, 07:13 PM    (permalink
StickSkills
Veteran

Quote:
I absolutely do. I had a chance to take a job in Orlando. Unfortunately, it would have been about a 10K pay cut. I turned it down and now I'm still living in Alabama.
What are the two jobs you had to decide between?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:35 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickSkills View Post
What are the two jobs you had to decide between?
They were pretty much the same. I was currently in an Army internship program that I started in 2009. This would have basically been a different program that started in 2012. Pretty much it would have stalled my career three years, lowered my total earnings for 4 years by about 55K (but my wife would have better earning potential) but it would have been where I wanted to be and probably a job I'd like more. It was also for a slightly larger organization so opportunities for promotion might have been higher.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 04-28-2014, 11:38 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
This is normal, if you aren't one of these people you are one of those obnoxiously lucky people who actually likes their job. I do wish I could go back and kick 14 year old me's ass into gear so I could have done something I like. I at least have the positive of making good money, can't imagine how much it would suck to do something you don't enjoy and get paid like crap for it.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Considering taking a new job within my company. One step closer to having njx as my personal IT guy.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:29 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Someone I work with who's more senior than me is apparently looking around trying to change career paths a bit and basically told me wherever they land they'll try to bring me along. Given I'm looking to change career paths as well and it's a bit tricky, this would be ideal.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Someone I work with who's more senior than me is apparently looking around trying to change career paths a bit and basically told me wherever they land they'll try to bring me along. Given I'm looking to change career paths as well and it's a bit tricky, this would be ideal.
That's what happens. Build out a network of superiors that love your work and you will never be jobless.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:38 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I work in radio, and I currently work two part-time jobs for one company which owns two radio stations. Both are music.

If I stay in radio, I definitely want to move to sports radio. My friend is pulling some strings at the sports radio station he works at, and it's technically the highest rated local sports station in the US. The only problem is that it is also a part-time job.

So if I get the job, I'll be working 3 different part-time jobs for two different companies, and like 7 different radio stations. Crazy.

I just hope they won't mind as they aren't technically direct competitors of one another.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:54 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
That's what happens. Build out a network of superiors that love your work and you will never be jobless.
The unfortunate thing about my current job from that standpoint is almost everyone I work with is extremely risk averse. I see value in taking calculated gambles and the next six months or so is a perfect time for me to do so, but it's just a matter of how I roll the dice.

If this individual ends up leaving that'll make things very easy.