Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-06-2014, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually have what I think is a pretty solid idea for a company, but I'm not leaving my good job to work even more hours on a risky venture.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
i'm complaining a lot in here today but...

I don't always get dressed up for class, but when I do, it's because a superintendent is going to be a guest speaker
Clean khakis?
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:36 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel you on the first job ******** Scotty. Landing that first job is a total *****, but once you finally get over that hurdle things get a lot easier.

After that you have some substantial experience to build off of (and it isn't a crap shoot for your employer) and just as importantly, you develop a lot of relevant connections within your industry.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:56 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Clean khakis?

hush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
I feel you on the first job ******** Scotty. Landing that first job is a total *****, but once you finally get over that hurdle things get a lot easier.

After that you have some substantial experience to build off of (and it isn't a crap shoot for your employer) and just as importantly, you develop a lot of relevant connections within your industry.
yeah, the dude was super scary, but tomorrow i'm gonna revamp my resume and make a cover letter and just push through these next few months and work my ass off, kiss ass and just pray I can land one
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:58 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
yeah, the dude was super scary, but tomorrow i'm gonna revamp my resume and make a cover letter and just push through these next few months and work my ass off, kiss ass and just pray I can land one
You have the right attitude. It's easy to get down on yourself and frustrated, but persistence will get you there. You just need one person to say yes and then you are off.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:26 PM    (permalink
DeepThreat
Pro Bowler

DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I actually have what I think is a pretty solid idea for a company, but I'm not leaving my good job to work even more hours on a risky venture.
Dry cleaning chemicals?

Quote:
<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
<@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
<+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
Quote:
<+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.
DeepThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepThreat View Post
Dry cleaning chemicals?
Well done. Very fresh material.

Also, what kind of VC invests in a ******* restaurant? Tisk, tisk.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:38 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now that I'm involving myself in a process modeling project, I have a new found respect for computer engineers. A good computer engineer is worth his weight in gold.

Very impressed with the mathematical models this guy came up with.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:54 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am a business analyst at a telecom company that provides internet and phone service to other businesses and I absolutely love my job. Most of what I do involves our use of Salesforce -- I work as the middle man between our developers and end users. Any other BA's here?
Old 03-20-2014, 10:19 AM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man, I don't even know what I want to do. I'm a Retail Lead right now, and am in the runnings for Firearms Department Manager.

The only thing is that I crave the Monday-Friday 8am-5pm idea.

It just sucks when you get into Retail, because it's harder then hell to get out.

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:28 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Now that I'm involving myself in a process modeling project, I have a new found respect for computer engineers. A good computer engineer is worth his weight in gold.

Very impressed with the mathematical models this guy came up with.
Man, do I hate process modeling. I've done it for three systems and they've never gone anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
I am a business analyst at a telecom company that provides internet and phone service to other businesses and I absolutely love my job. Most of what I do involves our use of Salesforce -- I work as the middle man between our developers and end users. Any other BA's here?
I hope you are a better BA than the ones I work with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:34 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Man, do I hate process modeling. I've done it for three systems and they've never gone anywhere.

Yeah this process modeling project has my head spinning right now. I wish it was as simple as input - output but there's like a billion potential outputs for every input.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

when it comes to writing resumes if u hold positions in extra cirricular things should you explain how those positions improved your skills to help you with your job?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:03 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been in IT professionally for almost 2 years. This is every time I get called to an executives office.

Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:08 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post

I hope so too. What is it about the BA's you work with that makes you say that? Just curious
Old 03-21-2014, 02:56 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post
I've been in IT professionally for almost 2 years. This is every time I get called to an executives office.

Not professionally, but worked in IT as a student worker on campus and got moved up to part time later and this is 98% of the time what I get called for also. The worst ones are the repeat ones, like how many times do I have to tell you to just restart your computer.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:02 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post

I had to drive 100 miles to plug in a network cable this week.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:05 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

To be fair, for all the crappy stuff IT gets called in for, there are a lot of IT guys that suck at fixing even moderately complex things.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:06 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I read a blog once online (not sure if the story was real or fake) where a caller called in and couldn't tell why her computer wasn't working. The guy walked her through all the scenarios to figure it out in the end she told them they have a power outage and he just flipped out on her haha.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:39 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
To be fair, for all the crappy stuff IT gets called in for, there are a lot of IT guys that suck at fixing even moderately complex things.
a lot = almost all.

it support is the home of most of your future DBAs and IT project managers, if that tells you anything.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:41 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh, I work with a lot of DBAs, there are the skilled ones that are clearly using it as a stepping stone, and the ones that are glorified call center support.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:44 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Those are the ones that went to some IT classes at a training center or people trying to get to the next level... They come out with certs, but have zero actual logic.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I clearly don't know much about computers, but I'm working with a software developer right now for a process modeling project and he seems pretty sharp. I'm impressed with him at least. To be fair, again, I'm not a computer guy so maybe in your eyes he's mediocre.

*shrug*
Old 03-21-2014, 09:51 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Eh, I work with a lot of DBAs, there are the skilled ones that are clearly using it as a stepping stone, and the ones that are glorified call center support.
i think about 1 out of every 50 DBAs i worked with had any idea what they were doing. the other 49 couldn't get to the query analyzer, let alone run a script.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:53 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i think about 1 out of every 50 DBAs i worked with had any idea what they were doing. the other 49 couldn't get to the query analyzer, let alone run a script.

Ha, that is true. All the oracle DBAs barely know OEM exists, much less how to use it.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote