Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, with IT support, the problem is usually them getting horrible misinformation from the EU reporting/describing the problem.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:10 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Also, with IT support, the problem is usually them getting horrible misinformation from the EU reporting/describing the problem.
I'm sorry, but that is BS for most big companies. They can remote in now via Bogmar or whatever. That's not to say that EUs describe things well, they don't, but when you can just easily remote in and get a look at the problem for yourself, insisting on discussing it for half an hour is 100% on the IT guy.

Last edited by Rob S : 03-21-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Rob S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:13 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Theres an IT guy that sits near me at work who doubles down as a recruiter haha.

Half the time he's either calling ppl up as a recruiter or talking to his family/wife.

He works on actual IT stuff for like 1 hour a day.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:30 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
I hope so too. What is it about the BA's you work with that makes you say that? Just curious
I work in military logistics. More specifically, my organization creates and maintains logistics applications. Our BAs are mostly there to help create requirements packages whenever an application needs to be created, updated, or fixed. Unfortunately, very few of them actually have any knowledge of how our systems work so they are very unhelpful. I've gotten to the point where I just create the package myself because it takes less time than teaching my systems to the BA.

For the people who don't know how to do this, they get a BA to take the information and input into our system in a more technical format. Basically they become high paid secretaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:46 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't ever let anyone tell you being global is great. It sucks major dick.

I feel like flying over to Holland and kicking orphans right now.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:58 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

do I trust a school district that wants you to fax or mail your cover letter and resume and credentials to them and don't have anything online? like no applications via email or any online applications
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:20 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So does anyone have any good advice on the best way to search for jobs in another city? Say that some guy hypothetically was serious about moving from Nashville to Los Angeles.

What do?
Old 03-22-2014, 07:00 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
do I trust a school district that wants you to fax or mail your cover letter and resume and credentials to them and don't have anything online? like no applications via email or any online applications
yes. it's a school district, not a university.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:21 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

School districts are poorly run. You're seeing the evidence of that.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:32 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
School districts are poorly run have varying amounts of money/pressures for priority. You're seeing the evidence of that.
slightly fixed. i know in denver, we've been really busy imposing idiotic rules on school districts who are hell bent on doing idiotic things. so like, no one is actually winning, and things that should be really easy to fix aren't being fixed.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:39 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
slightly fixed. i know in denver, we've been really busy imposing idiotic rules on school districts who are hell bent on doing idiotic things. so like, no one is actually winning, and things that should be really easy to fix aren't being fixed.
That's just about everywhere, though. They're poorly run. How/why they're poorly run is a different conversation.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:15 AM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
So does anyone have any good advice on the best way to search for jobs in another city? Say that some guy hypothetically was serious about moving from Nashville to Los Angeles.

What do?
Apply in advance and try your damndest to set up multiple interviews in one week, then make a trip out of it; couch surf if you have to to save moneys. if you're unemployed, set up one of the crowd sourced opps or stay with a friend, there is plenty of room in LA.

in other news, my job still makes me feel like clawing my eyes out but i have an interview lined up (and have phone interviewed twice already) with a start-up that's confirmed to me that they'll be issuing an IPO within a year or two, so basically my situation is horrendous but i own a lottery ticket.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:22 AM    (permalink
RufusMcDaniel
Mage Bros
Pro Bowler

RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When a job posting says...knowing blank is an asset, that just means you better know that **** or there's no way you're getting this job, right?
RufusMcDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Got my offer letter today. Gonna put in my 2 weeks this friday.

Fun times.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:20 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusMcDaniel View Post
When a job posting says...knowing blank is an asset, that just means you better know that **** or there's no way you're getting this job, right?
depends on the job and the requirement, ie. you better know the MS Office suite, or a particular coding if it's a dev job, but you don't necessarily need to know like Salesforce back and forth if it's a marketing job. Each industry has certain requirements.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Theres an IT guy that sits near me at work who doubles down as a recruiter haha.

Half the time he's either calling ppl up as a recruiter or talking to his family/wife.

He works on actual IT stuff for like 1 hour a day.
Well i work at a bank and we don't outsource anything so our IT department consists of two bosses and 7 employees and we work all damn day.
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:40 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Got asked today during my mid-term meeting with a teacher what I wanted to do when I graduate. Apparently telling them a city you want to live in and nothing else is a way to not go about determining your future.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:42 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
Got asked today during my mid-term meeting with a teacher what I wanted to do when I graduate. Apparently telling them a city you want to live in and nothing else is a way to not go about determining your future.
Screw that. For some people (myself included) location is much more important than the actual job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:43 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Screw that. For some people (myself included) location is much more important than the actual job.
This college is so conservative and small-minded that I should have seen it coming. Plus, there are literally no jobs anywhere near here, so going to a place with a hell of a lot of more opportunities should be a good thing.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:59 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Does anyone have any book recommendations that would help me understand process modeling?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:03 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So my old teacher is now head of the school board IT department and they have a job opening which im in no way qualified for but i applied anyway just to get the interview experience. I actually emailed him and told him i wasn't applying but to think of me when i do get my certs and he told me to apply anyway just to go meet everyone and get a feel for everything that they do so i'm doing that.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:26 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post
So my old teacher is now head of the school board IT department and they have a job opening which im in no way qualified for but i applied anyway just to get the interview experience. I actually emailed him and told him i wasn't applying but to think of me when i do get my certs and he told me to apply anyway just to go meet everyone and get a feel for everything that they do so i'm doing that.
This pretty much goes with everything I am actually taught about the interview process.... Its actually more about your personality rather than your qualities. Most people who apply meet the requirements, and the interviews are more about if you can fit in rather then whose the most qualified.

Or is this something different then what you guys have experienced?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:30 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Quote:
This pretty much goes with everything I am actually taught about the interview process.... Its actually more about your personality rather than your qualities. Most people who apply meet the requirements, and the interviews are more about if you can fit in rather then whose the most qualified.

I've never been the most qualified anywhere ever. I'm just really good at interviews for whatever reason. Only one time did I not get a job i interviewed for. But to answer your question yeah that's spot on.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:32 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you are young and ambitious, what you will be learning/doing should be way more important than where you have to live for a couple of years. That's just fact. It's not to say that prioritizing where to live over the work you will be doing is wrong, you can still make a good living and will probably be happy, but it is definitely not the best way to launch a career if that is important to you.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:34 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:

It depends on the role. Personality is always very important, but there are tons of people I have had great conversation with that just couldn't hack it from a skills perspective. Not everyone's resume is honest...just because you say you have 'x' experience doesn't make it so....and HR sometimes can't ask specific enough questions.