Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-25-2014, 01:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
This pretty much goes with everything I am actually taught about the interview process.... Its actually more about your personality rather than your qualities. Most people who apply meet the requirements, and the interviews are more about if you can fit in rather then whose the most qualified.

Or is this something different then what you guys have experienced?
It's a combination of both. Social skills are important, but you also want to work with someone who's really good at what they do. Because at the end of the day, I don't need to hang out with you at the bar after work but I need you to not be a dumbass and get your work done in an accurate and timely manner.

When I interview ppl, the personality is the tiebreaker. I'm concerned about your skills, and unless you're socially inept, that's usually what I base it on. But if 2 candidates are equally qualified then interactions and your feel for their personality is a tie breaker.

The worst thing you can do is be fake during interviews. Never be fake. We can spot that from a mile away.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:25 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So what is the general consensus on resumes? I keep mine to one page, but the last time I interviewed they asked me why I didn't include my college summer job. When I told them that I wanted to keep my resume to one page (and also that I didn't think it was particularly relevant) they told me that I should include it anyway.

When it comes to references, do you guys put "available upon request" on your resume, or do you just go ahead and list three?

And last question, do you guys also keep your cover letter to one page? I do, but sometimes I feel like I could / should add a little more.

I'm looking around for new jobs and I'm curious on how others feel about some of these things.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:26 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I go one page for each and don't even mention references.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've always been a good interviewee; gotten call backs the next day and hired on the spot for my recent job. In a few months I'll be applying at a bank to work my way up as I finish up my finance degree. So Rob you will need to recommend me an all purpose dress shoe for me to wear with everything because I can't wear the ones I bought from Ross and feel good about myself anymore.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:36 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Black Park Ave or 5th Ave from Allen Edmonds is the way to go. Should be able to get seconds for ~$200.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:01 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I go one page for each and don't even mention references.
Same. I always assumed telling them references were available upon request was a bit redundant. If they want them they will ask.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:54 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
So what is the general consensus on resumes? I keep mine to one page, but the last time I interviewed they asked me why I didn't include my college summer job. When I told them that I wanted to keep my resume to one page (and also that I didn't think it was particularly relevant) they told me that I should include it anyway.

When it comes to references, do you guys put "available upon request" on your resume, or do you just go ahead and list three?

And last question, do you guys also keep your cover letter to one page? I do, but sometimes I feel like I could / should add a little more.

I'm looking around for new jobs and I'm curious on how others feel about some of these things.
if you give me over a page in your cover letter, i won't read any of it. i can't honestly imagine why it would even be a full page, in most cases.

resume i can see going to 2 pages, if you have enough experience to support it. but generally it should really be right about one page.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:47 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Resumes can be up to 2 pages if you have a lot of experience. For a person with 5 years or less, unless you worked at like 4 different companies, you should have a 1 page resume.

You don't need to say anything about references, it's understood that you'll provide them anyway.

It's important to have a summary at the top of your resume bc people are lazy and often just read the summary of your skills.

Cover letters should be like 2 paragraphs, maybe 3 if you're experienced. I'm assuming most of you are entry level, in your case your cover letter shouldn't be that long.

Don't oversell yourself if you're entry level. We're not stupid, we know you didn't do **** yet.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My resume is right at two pages. I only have four and a half years of experience but I've had four positions within the same organiztion so it is impossible to fit that on one page. I suck at writting cover letters. I really have no idea how to write one. I got my current job out of college and a cover letter was not required so I have no real experience writing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:13 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Yeah once you start having multiple positions its difficult to fit it all in one page. 4 positions is probably going to require 2 pages. What I've done is the older positions I shaved in half bc they really don't care much about them. Potential employers are usually just looking at your 2 most recent positions.

That saves space. What I did as an entry level guy has like 4 bulletin points. I kept it short and sweet. No one really cares about what I did as an entry level guy at this stage in my career.

Hiring a professional resume writer isn't a terrible idea. It's worth the money if you are terrible at writing resumes or cover letters. Just make sure you hire someone who is familiar with your industry.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:41 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
if you give me over a page in your cover letter, i won't read any of it.
But... Not even mine......
Old 04-03-2014, 06:41 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
But... Not even mine......
2 pages? not even TH's.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:34 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

rocked an interview last week to be marketing comms manager for a little pre-IPO startup that is getting a ton of buzz; media, articles, and the team i interviewed with all said they'd be going public within 18 months. they've been chatting with my references today and I already went through a background check and a bizarrely complicated writing test. Lot of walls preventing me from getting my hands on that sweet sweet stock but currently pretty optimistic.
CC.SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:48 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Ask for stock options.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:40 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, the company I am working for is most definitely, no questions asked...no doubt about it going to flop by August at the latest. I have decided to accept a college coaching position that will start up in September. Psyched about it, unfortunately it's not going to pay overly well with it being a smaller school, but I will be able to teach weights classes and what not to earn extra income.

It at least gets my foot in the door and gives me a reason to start my masters, so that I can set myself up to be a Head Coach down the road (the college in my hometown is talking about bringing baseball back in 2016). I am so excited to leave this **** hole ******* company...but until then I have to grind it out and earn some income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Congrats bro. I think you're fine, this is the career you want, and while you're sacrificing now in the short term the rewards will pay off in the long term.

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take 2 steps forward. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:34 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thank ya, I look at it as getting into it now when I'm 24, as opposed to doing all this stuf that I hate and trying to get back into it when I'm 27 or 28 when its damn near impossible to get back in. I'd regret it if I didn't at least try.

Ill be coaching with one of my best friends from college and someone that I have talked about more times than I could count about coaching together with. He'll be getting offers to coach at bigger programs soon, and I'd be goin with him, so I am excited about the opportunity.

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:04 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Awesome. That certainly sounds like a situation that will work out great for you. A little less money coming in isn't a big deal, for the most part. (Guessing @ 24 you're not knee deep in kids and their budgeting-eating ways! lol)

Good luck!

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:57 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Awesome. That certainly sounds like a situation that will work out great for you. A little less money coming in isn't a big deal, for the most part. (Guessing @ 24 you're not knee deep in kids and their budgeting-eating ways! lol)

Good luck!

I am stoked for it, and yes....luckily at 24 I have no little ones running around, and no GF around to keep me from takin off for the opportunity. Want to get my foot in the door and get this rollin.

Quote:
Old 04-04-2014, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congrats SickWithIT

Speaking of Resume I am working on my and it is slightly over a page. I worked a concession stand job and I was wondering should I just take it off my resume because it doesn't relate to my major at all and everything can fit. Or should I keep changing margins, shortening sentences etc.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:13 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Congrats SickWithIT

Speaking of Resume I am working on my and it is slightly over a page. I worked a concession stand job and I was wondering should I just take it off my resume because it doesn't relate to my major at all and everything can fit. Or should I keep changing margins, shortening sentences etc.
remove it, unless you're not applying for career jobs. it's not relevant in the resume and you can talk about it in an interview.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:29 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Yeah, cut that. Nobody cares. Unless you were a manager or something, then you may want to try and find some space.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:42 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so i'm applying to a job now and the district is the one where my university supervisor was on the board of ed from. However, this dude was so old and not too personable that I made the mistake of not getting a letter of recommendation from him right away. Just had to email him but he never checks his email. Ugh, quite the quandary. Life is annoying and I was so dumb for not just getting the letter ASAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:39 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Call him. Go on campus and see if you can meet him at his office and discuss the situation. Dress professionally. When you make it more personable your results are better.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:13 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

My last day at this current company. I took a risk changing careers from scientist to engineer and it paid off in a big way, and I'm grateful this company gave me my first opportunity.

Yay for no longer having to commute 70 miles one way!

Hopefully the new company treats me as well as this one did.