Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:36 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat316 View Post
I like Jordan, even though his combine numbers are great, some reason I feel like he is going to have trouble getting pure separation. But from a technique stand point doing the little things right gets him open enough. Not a YAC guy, but more of a possession wr. His routes he runs are amazing.
well if he runs amazing routes he will get the separation he needs no problem

ala jerry rice

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:57 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
well if he runs amazing routes he will get the separation he needs no problem

ala jerry rice
This is true. I wonder if he can beat the jam at the LOS in the nfl.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/scout...ordan-matthews
Old 03-26-2014, 12:42 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This is true. I wonder if he can beat the jam at the LOS in the nfl.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/scout...ordan-matthews
I watched that whole video...he looks good out there.

Clowney is ridiculous btw, go into watching the opposite team WR and you still have to watch clowney
Old 03-26-2014, 12:49 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not worried about Matthews speed. Ran a 4.4 and averaged 19 ypc. He's the total package.

I don't want Ebron. He has a worse catch rate than KB.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:52 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ebron would be worth it. Some horrible horrible QB play in UNC

Hes a bit raw, but Jimmy Graham was about as raw as they come out of Miami. If he can be that kind of player, then sign me up. He is physically the most tatlented TE since Davis I think

Last edited by K Train : 03-26-2014 at 12:56 PM.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't see TE being that high of pick.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:28 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Realistically I could see them taking ASJ or Niklas in 2
Old 03-26-2014, 01:41 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
Realistically I could see them taking ASJ or Niklas in 2
didnt asj have some character problems?

Old 03-26-2014, 02:17 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So many WRs to pick from.

Evans, Watkins, Lee

Moncreif, Benjamin, Matthews, Beckham, Robinson, Adams
Old 03-26-2014, 02:49 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
So many WRs to pick from.

Evans, Watkins, Lee

Moncreif, Benjamin, Matthews, Beckham, Robinson, Adams
would be a great year to have multiple picks in, say, the 3rd round

:/

having said that, i do have high hopes and do like shamarko

Old 03-26-2014, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've never really thought about it in depth, but how well do you think Beachum would transition to LG? In a perfect world, Adams and Gilbert will be ready to be the bookends this year, but it seems a shame for Beachum to be relegated to backup duty. His body type seems to be on par with what the Steelers look for in an interior o-lineman, do you think he has the skills to make the move?
Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Id love Beachum at guard.

I think they like foster there too much to make that kind of a move though
Old 03-26-2014, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Foster too man, but he's a dying breed, he didnt trim down last offseason (which he was supposed to), and he was evidently the slowest member of the o-line. Having a line of;

Adams - Beachum - Pounecy - DeCastro - Gilbert

would give us the athleticism and strength to run any given blocking scheme we want. I cant help but feel that Foster (and to an extent Gilbert) are stopping them run the scheme they really want.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:53 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ebron would be worth it. Some horrible horrible QB play in UNC

Hes a bit raw, but Jimmy Graham was about as raw as they come out of Miami. If he can be that kind of player, then sign me up. He is physically the most tatlented TE since Davis I think
I get the appeal with Ebron, but for some reason I'm just not convinced with him. Based on combine numbers, he's good, but not great. Tyler Eifer, Coby Fleener, Michael Egnew, Ladarius Green, James Hannah, Lance Kendricks, Cameron Jordan, Rob Housler, Virgil Green, Jimmy Graham, Dorin Dickerson, and others posted similar or better numbers.

Athletic TEs are pretty common now, teams are willing to gamble on them due to the success of guys like Gates, Graham, and now Julius Thomas. Ebron doesn't look like big and doesn't play big, IMO. I think people expecting him to be the next Graham or Gronk are going to be very disappointed. Graham is a freak athlete, moreso than almost any other TE prospect recently. Comparing his numbers to those of Ebron:

Graham:
Height - 6062
Weight - 260 lbs.
40 Yard Dash - 4.53
Vertical - 38.5
Bench Press - 15 (at Pro Day)
Broad Jump - 10'00"
20 Yard Shuttle - 4.45
3 Cone Drill - 6.90

Ebron:
Height - 6043
Weight - 250 lbs.
40 Yard Dash - 4.60
Vertical - 32
Bench Press - 23
Broad Jump - 10'00"
20 Yard Shuttle - NA
3 Cone Drill - NA

Compared to other athletic TEs in the NFL right now:

Julius Thomas:
Height - 6045
Weight - 246 lbs.
40 Yard Dash - 4.64
Vertical - 35.5
Bench Press - 16
Broad Jump - 9'03"
20 Yard Shuttle - 4.31
3 Cone Drill - 6.96

Rob Gronkowski (most of it at his Pro Day, since he was injured at the combine):
Height - 6062
Weight - 258 lbs.
40 Yard Dash - 4.68
Vertical - 33.5
Bench Press - 23
Broad Jump - 9'11"
20 Yard Shuttle - 4.47
3 Cone Drill - 7.18

Jordan Cameron:
Height - 6052
Weight - 254 lbs.
40 Yard Dash - 4.53
Vertical - 37.5
Bench Press - 23
Broad Jump - 9'11"
20 Yard Shuttle - 4.03
3 Cone Drill - 6.82

Vernon Davis:
Height - 6032
Weight - 254 lbs.
40 Yard Dash - 4.38
Vertical - 42
Bench Press - 33
Broad Jump - 10'08"
20 Yard Shuttle - 4.17
3 Cone Drill - 7.00

To me, this shows that a.) Vernon Davis is an alien and b.) Ebron's elite physical tools might be exaggerated. I said it here I think, but to me he's similar to Greg Olsen. Good tight end, but I wouldn't use the 15th pick on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
I've never really thought about it in depth, but how well do you think Beachum would transition to LG? In a perfect world, Adams and Gilbert will be ready to be the bookends this year, but it seems a shame for Beachum to be relegated to backup duty. His body type seems to be on par with what the Steelers look for in an interior o-lineman, do you think he has the skills to make the move?
I'd like it too, but like KTrain said, the team likes Foster. And last year he was probably our most consistent lineman, so with both tackle spots always shifting due to injuries and bad play, at least we can count on Foster to stick at LG.

Quote:
didnt asj have some character problems?
I think he had a DUI a year ago.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
would be a great year to have multiple picks in, say, the 3rd round

:/

having said that, i do have high hopes and do like shamarko
I like Shamarko. Its the other guy we took in the 4th last year that makes me pissed about the trade. No reason they had to include any of this years picks in that trade. If you wanted Shamarko enough, trade up from the pick they spent of Landry Jones a handful of picks later, don't take away from this years draft.

Put it this way, who wouldn't trade Landry ******* Jones for a 3rd rounder this year?

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some draft analysis, similar to what Hines did some time ago.

Since Tomlin became head coach, here are our drafted players, colored according to success.

LB Lawrence Timmons, FSU - ACC
LB LaMarr Woodley, Michigan - Big Ten
TE Matt Spaeth, Minnesota - Big Ten
P Daniel Sepulveda, Baylor - Big 12
DT Ryan McBean, Oklahoma State - Big 12
OG Cameron Stephenson, Rutgers - Big East
CB William Gay, Louisville - Big East
WR Dallas Baker, Florida, SEC
RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois, Big Ten
WR Limas Sweed, Texas, Big 12
DE Bruce Davis, UCLA, Pac-10
OT Tony Hills, Texas, Big 12
QB Dennis Dixon, Oregon, Pac-10
LB Mike Humpal, Iowa, Big Ten
S Ryan Mundy, West Virginia, Big East
DT Ziggy Hood, Missouri, Big 12
OG Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin, Big 10
WR Mike Wallace, Ole Miss, SEC
CB Keenan Lewis, Oregon State, Pac-10
CB Joe Burnett, UCF, C-USA
RB Frank Summers, UNLV, MWC
DT Ra'Shon Harris, Oregon, Pac-10
C A.Q. Shipley, Penn State, Big 10
TE David Johnson, Arkansas State, Sun Belt
C Maurkice Pouncey, Florida, SEC
DE Jason Worilds, Virginia Tech, ACC
WR Emmanuel Sanders, SMU, C-USA
DE Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio State, Big Ten
OT Chris Scott, Tennessee, SEC
CB Crezdon Butler, Clemson, ACC
LB Stevenson Sylvester, Utah, MWC
RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech, ACC
WR Antonio Brown, Central Michigan, MAC
DT Doug Worthington, Ohio State, Big Ten
DE Cameron Heyward, Ohio State, Big Ten
OT Marcus Gilbert, Florida, SEC
CB Curtis Brown, Texas, Big 12
CB Cortez Allen, The Citadel, SoCon
LB Chris Carter, Fresno State, WAC
OG Keith Williams, Nebraska, Big 12
RB Baron Batch, Texas Tech, Big 12
OG David DeCastro, Stanford, Pac-12
OT Mike Adams, Ohio State, Big Ten
LB Sean Spence, Miami, ACC
NT Alameda Ta'Amu, Washington, Pac-12
RB Chris Rainey, Florida, SEC
WR Toney Clemons, Colorado, Pac-12
TE David Paulson, Oregon, Pac-12
CB Terrence Frederick, Texas A&M, Big 12
OG Kelvin Beachum, SMU, C-USA
LB Jarvis Jones, Georgia, SEC
RB Le'Veon Bell, Michigan State, Big Ten
WR Markus Wheaton, Oregon State, Pac-12
S Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse, Big East
QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma, Big 12
CB Terry Hawthorne, Illinois, Big Ten
WR Justin Brown, Oklahoma, Big 12
LB Vince Williams, FSU, ACC
DT Nick Williams, Samford, SoCon

By position:

QB - 2

RB - 6

WR - 8

TE - 3

OL - 11

DL - 7

LB - 11

CB - 8

S - 2

ST - 1

By Conference:

Big Ten - 12
OG Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin, Big Ten
C A.Q. Shipley, Penn State, Big Ten

Big 12 - 11

SEC - 7

ACC - 6

Pac-12 - 5

Pac-10 - 4

Big East - 4

C-USA - 3

MWC - 2

MAC - 1

WAC - 1

Sun Belt - 1

SoCon - 1

So, so thoughts based on these things:

- We draft a ******** of offensive linemen, and suck at drafting offensive tackles. Interior offensive linemen get a pass for Pouncey and DeCastro, but we honestly suck there too. It's no wonder our offensive line sucked for so long. 11 picks invested, and our most consistent player this past season was an UDFA guard.

- We're pretty bad a drafting RBs too. Outside of Bell, we missed on Mendenhall, Dwyer didn't amount to much, despite high expectations from fans, and the rest are nobodies. We continually have to resort to free agency to get a "respectable" group of RBs, be it UDFAs or older vets. For a while it was Redman, then Felix Jones, now who knows who it'll be. RB is supposedly the easiest position to find solid players for, so it's a shame we struggle so much.

- We're pretty good at drafting receivers. Outside of Sweed, I can't really complain. Wallace and Brown turned into studs, Sanders wasn't bad, but not very good either. The rest were late picks that just didn't pan out, but unlike RBs, it was because we continually had better talent on the roster and they usually lost out for the last spot.

- We're decent at TE, maybe even good. Two later picks, two solid guys in David Johnson and David Paulson. Nothing spectacular, but the guys are okay for being such late picks. Same can be said for safety.

- D-Line is same as O-line, we suck at it. Only Heyward has been any good, and everyone knew the guy could play prior to the draft. Projects haven't developed, Hood busted, and who knows what Williams might bring. At least he stuck on the roster.

- LB is puzzling, we find either pretty good players, or they just flat out suck. Nothing in between. Williams was a nice find for a later pick, he held his own, but we could definitely upgrade.

- We're pretty bad with CBs too. Gay is probably the best pick, late value and solid nickel guy. Lewis is sadly gone, and Allen has shown promise and talent, but he's still improving.

- We ******* love the Big Ten, particularly Ohio State, but it's pretty hit or miss for us. Healthy combination of offensive and defensive players from that conference.

- We ******* love the Big 12 and absolutely have to stop drafting from there. Seriously. 11 picks and we've gotten absolutely nothing. The only "respectable" guy was Hood, but he started to save face and not admit he was a bust. We've drafted QB, WR, RB, OL, DL, CB, and P, and they've all sucked. Unless it's a highly regarded prospect (ala Earl Thomas, Brian Orakpo, Dez Bryant, Von Miller, or Adrian Peterson) we should look elsewhere.

- SEC has been pretty good. All high picks are good, or appear promising at least, and the late rounders not so much. Rainey was talented but undisciplined, but Baker and Scott sucked.

- ACC has been our cradle for LBs in Tomlin's tenure. Lawrence Timmons, Jason Worilds, Sean Spence, Vince Williams, all ACC, all good picks. Spence I liked but he had his injury, so him sucking is not really his fault. I was genuinely excited for the guy.

- We fell in love with the Pac-12 the past two years. No picks from there from 2007-2011, then 4 in 2012, one in 2013.

- Big East late round DBs are solid for us.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Also, we've scheduled visits with the following prospects:

CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State
CB Shaquille Richardson, Arizona
RB Lache Seastrunk, Baylor
LB Anthony Barr, UCLA
DE/OLB Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas

We've already met with Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald, too, though I don't think he fits our defense.

We also supposedly have a lot of interest in Michigan OT Taylor Lewan.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:15 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

I wouldn't say Mendenhall didn't pan out. He was pretty ******* good for some years while he was here.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:19 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
I wouldn't say Mendenhall didn't pan out. He was pretty ******* good for some years while he was here.
Yeah, that's why I put him in orange. He had two good years, but I think the fact that he didn't do anything else, and only lasted six years in the league as a first rounder, makes him a meh pick.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 03-26-2014, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Cbrunn
Rookie

Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Teams drafting has been fine ... We just lost 2 major guys to FA cause we are stuck paying players who won 2 Super Bowls

our 2 biggest "Needs" are CB and WR - Mike Wallace, and Keenan Lewis would and should be there ... but when you have the problem of paying guys because they won 2 super bowls - I think any franchise would like to have that problem
Cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrunn View Post
I think the Teams drafting has been fine ... We just lost 2 major guys to FA cause we are stuck paying players who won 2 Super Bowls

our 2 biggest "Needs" are CB and WR - Mike Wallace, and Keenan Lewis would and should be there ... but when you have the problem of paying guys because they won 2 super bowls - I think any franchise would like to have that problem
2007 was good, but 2008 and 2009 are some of the worst classes I can remember. None of those guys are still with the team.

Only Wallace and Lewis left "on good terms," or rather while playing well.

2010 was good, with Pouncey, Worilds, Sanders, and Brown, 2011 not as good with Heyward, Gilbert, and Cortez, 2012 was again somewhat bad with DeCastro, Adams, Paulson, and Beachum, but 2013 is still very promising with Jones, Bell, Wheaton, Thomas, and Vince Williams. It's frustrating that we get good UDFAs and solid depth players with later picks, but always mess up 4 and 5:

Ryan McBean, Daniel Sepulveda, Cameron Stephenson, Tony Hills, Dennis Dixon, Joe Burnett, Frank Summers, Thaddeus Gibson, Chris Scott, Crezdon Butler, Stevenson Sylvester, Cortez Allen, Chris Carter, Alameda Ta'Amu, Chris Rainey, Shamarko Thomas, Landry Jones, and Terry Hawthorne.

Out of 18 guys, the only ones that stand out are Stevenson Sylvester, Cortez Allen, and Shamarko Thomas. McBean, Stephenson, Burnett, Gibson, Butler, Ta'Amu, Rainey, and Hawthorne lasted less than a year. That's half of those guys. Sepulveda was always injured, Hills rarely played, Dixon didn't pan out, Summers never did anything, neither did Scott, Sylvester is basically ST only, Carter has nothing, and Landry didn't show much as a rookie.

I can understand being hit or miss, that's the norm IMO, but virtually all misses? Our 3rd rounders are usually boom or bust, Sanders being the only "solid" guy there. Matt Spaeth was a bust, Bruce Davis was a bust, Kraig Urbik was a bust, Mike Wallace was a boom, Keenan Lewis was a boom (though only later on), Curtis Brown was a bust, Sean Spence sadly an injury bust, and Wheaton is still unknown.

I don't know if I'm thinking too highly of other team's drafting, I'll have to check it out, but from what I can tell teams like Green Bay, Baltimore, and recently Seattle have done well throughout the draft.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:21 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

That list of oline is very upsetting lol. Stop calling Foster the most consistent, that was Decastro :-)

I think Spaeth is pretty damn good, hes the perfect zone blocking TE...if adams pulls it together they could be tough to get around for defenders with their long ass bodies

I loved Thad Gibson so much, thought he was going to be amazing

I remember how much I loathed 2009....Hood, Shipley, Summers....ughhhh
Old 03-27-2014, 08:39 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

2008 and 2009 werent just bad for the steelers...they were bad draft classes
Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That list of oline is very upsetting lol. Stop calling Foster the most consistent, that was Decastro :-)

I think Spaeth is pretty damn good, hes the perfect zone blocking TE...if adams pulls it together they could be tough to get around for defenders with their long ass bodies

I loved Thad Gibson so much, thought he was going to be amazing

I remember how much I loathed 2009....Hood, Shipley, Summers....ughhhh
Mike Adams is horrible. He sucked in college and he'll continue to suck here. But being that big from a big school will get someone to reach for you everytime.

Probably my least favorite draft pick at the time it's happened since Tomlin got here.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:49 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
Also, we've scheduled visits with the following prospects:

CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State
CB Shaquille Richardson, Arizona
RB Lache Seastrunk, Baylor
LB Anthony Barr, UCLA
DE/OLB Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas

We've already met with Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald, too, though I don't think he fits our defense.

We also supposedly have a lot of interest in Michigan OT Taylor Lewan.
anthony barr would be intriguing.. has position flexibility but would most likely play ILB for us

though we go nickle / mixer so often you could line him up all over the place.

i'd hate to invest another high pick on a OT but i do like lewan, i dont care if he got in a fight outside of a bar in college... thats what high fueled testosterone guys do when they are that age.. i'd take that over a passive sort of guy like jon martin any day of the week.