Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:01 AM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Ryan Mallett saga continues

Bill Belichick is very unpredictable but predictable at the same time. After "word" was out that he would not ship Mallett, he took it upon himself to select another QB in Jimmy Garoppolo which was in Day 2. Day 3 is long gone without Mallett being the headline of the day.

If anyone has insight on this Ryan Mallett issue please shed some light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
Newton
South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
Barely literate +5 swagger
Thief +15 swagger
Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
Big, average speed -3 swagger
Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
Total Swagger: 62
ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts
shylo3716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:11 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shylo3716 View Post
Bill Belichick is very unpredictable but predictable at the same time. After "word" was out that he would not ship Mallett, he took it upon himself to select another QB in Jimmy Garoppolo which was in Day 2. Day 3 is long gone without Mallett being the headline of the day.

If anyone has insight on this Ryan Mallett issue please shed some light.
Mallett's contract is up at the end of the year, they didn't want to wait and gamble that they'd be able to get another developmental QB who can be ready to be #2 behind Brady in 2015. If Garappolo progresses normally, Mallett will hit UFA. Mallett will be Brady's #2 for 2014 unless Garoppolo just blows him away in camp (extremely unlikely).

It's the right move. The Mallett trade was manufactured by the media. No one in the Patriots organization leaked anything about a trade. People just assumed the Pats would be looking to trade him and that O'Brien would want to trade for him.

It would have taken a lot for the Pats to trade Mallett. They can't afford to lose his experience in the system while Brady is still the #1. If Brady goes down and Mallett isn't there, the Pats are ******. They need him this year, but won't be able to afford to re-sign him in 2015.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:32 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still don't think Matt Flynn will be any good as a starter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:45 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mallett was probably the most pro-ready quarterback in his draft class after playing under Bobby Petrino, with the possible exception of Jake Locker, who also played in a pro-style system. Of the quarterbacks in his class, Mallett also had the most impressive size and arm, no small feat considering the presence of Cam Newton. Before issues about Mallett's alleged cocaine use surfaced, he was regularly being mocked in the top five or ten picks of the draft (Arizona being a common landing spot); character issues aside, he likely would have been drafted ahead of Christian Ponder, who went twelfth overall. Generally, people were in agreement that character issues prevented Mallett from going in the first round.

He's stayed out of trouble during his three years in the league while learning from people like Bill Belichick, Bill O'Brien, Josh McDaniels, and Tom Brady.I don't think the Patriots were going to just give him away for anything less than a premium pick. His value wouldn't have been as high as Mike Glennon's, as Glennon has shown more at the pro level and has three years remaining on his rookie contract, but as prospects Mallett was the superior player, and their skillsets are comparable enough that I think in the same situation, Mallett would have been able to mirror Glennon's production in Tampa Bay. It's in large part due to the fact that I feel comfortable with Mallett as Tom Brady's backup that I wasn't a big fan of the Jimmy Garoppolo pick despite thinking Garoppolo has starting potential at the pro level.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:48 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too bad he couldn't get to Houston. I wanted to see him compete for the starting job.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:57 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems to me the league just doesn't think he is that good. He had and has many issues other than character: Chronic inaccuracy/inconsistency, total statue in the pocket, lack of touch, college system, footwork. He fell in the draft for a reason and nobody has really offered anything of value for him for a reason. He isn't going to get a huge contract or anything. I liked him more than that, but I think its time to face the reality that the chances of him ever becoming something special are looking bleak. He just doesn't have enough going for him other than the rocket arm when looking at it objectively.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:13 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
Seems to me the league just doesn't think he is that good. He had and has many issues other than character: Chronic inaccuracy/inconsistency, total statue in the pocket, lack of touch, college system, footwork. He fell in the draft for a reason and nobody has really offered anything of value for him for a reason. He isn't going to get a huge contract or anything. I liked him more than that, but I think its time to face the reality that the chances of him ever becoming something special are looking bleak. He just doesn't have enough going for him other than the rocket arm when looking at it objectively.
You're writing a revisionist scout report on Mallett.

'Chronic' inaccuracy is almost a slur. Mallett had some issues late in games with pressing and throwing balls he shouldn't. But he wasn't an inaccurate QB.

In Arkansas' Sugar Bowl loss to Ohio State, his wideouts were dropping everything and Mallett was throwing darts.

Mallett's mobility is on par with Nick Foles and Mike Glennon. He needed to improve his footwork in the pocket since he really isn't a scrambler, but statue makes it sound like he can't roll out or bootleg.

I just don't understand how because Mallett is sitting behind Brady, he can't play in the NFL.

Mallett won't get a huge FA deal when he leaves Boston, but I bet he signs for $25-40 mil overall and will be expected to come to some team's organization and be the prohibitive favorite to start the regular season.

THere's no question in my mind if teams weren't afraid that Mallett was a cokehead, he would have been selected top 10 in 2011.

Look what happened to Mettenberger yesterday. He was taken in the 6th mainly because of character concerns, despite being the most prototypical NFL QB prospect in this draft.

You can't get better riding the bench.
But you can't get worse either.

I'll bang the drum on Mallett until he's a backup on another football team.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:03 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post

'Chronic' inaccuracy is almost a slur. Mallett had some issues late in games with pressing and throwing balls he shouldn't. But he wasn't an inaccurate QB.

In Arkansas' Sugar Bowl loss to Ohio State, his wideouts were dropping everything and Mallett was throwing darts.

Mallett's mobility is on par with Nick Foles and Mike Glennon. He needed to improve his footwork in the pocket since he really isn't a scrambler, but statue makes it sound like he can't roll out or bootleg.

I just don't understand how because Mallett is sitting behind Brady, he can't play in the NFL.

Mallett won't get a huge FA deal when he leaves Boston, but I bet he signs for $25-40 mil overall and will be expected to come to some team's organization and be the prohibitive favorite to start the regular season.

THere's no question in my mind if teams weren't afraid that Mallett was a cokehead, he would have been selected top 10 in 2011.

Look what happened to Mettenberger yesterday. He was taken in the 6th mainly because of character concerns, despite being the most prototypical NFL QB prospect in this draft.

These have been my observations going back to his Michigan days. Even in preseason Mallett''s only been around a 55 percent passer. Please tell me what he does well on an NFL level other than have a rocket arm? Like I said I liked the guy too but that was me being blinded by physical tools.

If NFL teams loved him as a starter, he would be a starter IMO. They hear the buzz from camp and they've seen his preseason snaps. They still have the old college tape. The coke rumors are in the rearview unless you think he's somehow gaming the NFL's drug policy. So that isn't the issue, at least not anymore.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:59 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice to see some people still over-rate Mallett. Dude's a white Byron Leftwhich without the epic broken-leg-game or accuracy.

Quote:
Old 05-11-2014, 09:09 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Mayock said in passing the other day that "Mallett is coveted around the league." He did not elaborate. Don't know if that's a throw away comment or not, but with his connections there might be something to it. Playing behind a HoF QB and under a HoF coach is probably worth something around the league. There are also rumors that NE has twiced turned down offers for him.

That said I don't think the JG pick had anything to do with a Mallett trade. Pats did the same thing with Mallett when Hoyer was near the end of his contract. It's just how the team operates, they identify future needs and attempt to address them in the draft.

Unless JG turns into a viable backup his rookie year, chances of Mallett going anywhere are IMO pretty slim.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:48 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tom Brady's completion percentage was 63% in 2012 and barely 60% in 2013.

Was Mallett supposed to complete 70% of his passes in preseason with the same bums at WR and their backups??

Even if Mallett's ceiling is barely above NFL average, you don't think there are teams who would consider than a major upgrade?

Mallett will be much more in demand by NFL teams IMO than Kirk Cousins after the 2014 season.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:56 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Again, it was 100% about the Patriots needing Mallett behind Brady, and very little to do with whether other teams wanted him. Garappolo is going to be the #3 QB this year and replace Mallett as the #2 in 2015. 2nd round is high, but it's not like they haven't made a move like this before and they really couldn't **** around with it this year. It was an understandable pick.

Coming into the league, Mallett needed to continue to clean up his delivery (which was awful at Michigan and a lot better at Arkansas) and improve his footwork (which every QB coming into the NFL needs to do). He's spent the last three years obsessively mirroring everything Tom Brady does. You don't think he's gotten better?

We really don't know much about where he's at as a pro QB. Pre-season doesn't mean ****, especially when he's throwing to those receivers behind the backup OL and no TEs.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:09 PM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post

All of this pro-Mallett talk is downright hilarious actually to me. He would've been a top 5 pick if he didn't have the cocaine issues?
No, he fell to the 3rd round because he has on the field flaws.

And he has proven nothing in the NFL. If anything, I would figure a team on the hinge of a QB tries him out on the cheap like Seattle did with Flynn. MAYBE.

And now Mettenberger fell to the 6th because of off the field? No, he fell because he was average in college and then had an injury.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:11 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Again, it was 100% about the Patriots needing Mallett behind Brady, and very little to do with whether other teams wanted him. Garappolo is going to be the #3 QB this year and replace Mallett as the #2 in 2015. 2nd round is high, but it's not like they haven't made a move like this before and they really couldn't **** around with it this year. It was an understandable pick.

Coming into the league, Mallett needed to continue to clean up his delivery (which was awful at Michigan and a lot better at Arkansas) and improve his footwork (which every QB coming into the NFL needs to do). He's spent the last three years obsessively mirroring everything Tom Brady does. You don't think he's gotten better?

We really don't know much about where he's at as a pro QB. Pre-season doesn't mean ****, especially when he's throwing to those receivers behind the backup OL and no TEs.
Yep this sums it up. Who knows where he is at now, he has had three years to develop and refine his skills working under Tom Brady and being coached by BB and McDaniels. I am sure Mallet isn't the same boneheaded college kid, making those same mistakes. Going into the Patriots organization has probably had a pretty positive impact on his maturity and groomed him to be more professional about the game. I think if there were any issues with Mallet - character concerns, work ethic concerns we would of heard about them by now.

The Pats did not move Mallet, they are anticipating that he is going to leave via FA and probably get paid a decent amount of money so they drafted Jimmy G. as a contingency plan and potential successor to Brady. I am not sure what about Ryan Mallet's career is a saga.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:12 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
All of this pro-Mallett talk is downright hilarious actually to me. He would've been a top 5 pick if he didn't have the cocaine issues?
No, he fell to the 3rd round because he has on the field flaws.

And he has proven nothing in the NFL. If anything, I would figure a team on the hinge of a QB tries him out on the cheap like Seattle did with Flynn. MAYBE.

And now Mettenberger fell to the 6th because of off the field? No, he fell because he was average in college and then had an injury.
Matt Flynn was not "on the cheap".

And you don't think players fall because of off the field issues? Lol. Colt Lyerla? Could name about a billion other players.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lyerla's problems are not comparable to Mallett's.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:32 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No gm cares about an athlete's personal life. As long as it's kept private and away from the media, it's all fun and games. Talent, winning, and money are the only importance within sports
Old 05-11-2014, 05:37 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
Lyerla's problems are not comparable to Mallett's.
Yeah that's why he went undrafted. Mallet's issues were weren't as bad so he didn't fall as far..

RIP themaninblack
Old 05-11-2014, 05:45 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Yeah that's why he went undrafted. Mallet's issues were weren't as bad so he didn't fall as far..
I don't know...I'd argue that falling from Top 5 to the third round is about as bad as dropping from the 2nd round to UDFA...
Old 05-11-2014, 05:46 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The best thing for Mallett is happening. He generated a positive buzz this offseason while doing absolutely nothing. He'll have backed up a future hall of famer in a great system, and he'll hit the open market next year free to pick where he wants to go compete.

There's always a slew of teams changing regimes and QBs getting hurt/degressing. The Texans could very well look at him next year. The Raiders come to mind. Bucs, Titans, Rams, Bengals, Chiefs too. He'll have options, it'll be whether or not they want to sign him or draft their next guy.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:47 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't know...I'd argue that falling from Top 5 to the third round is about as bad as dropping from the 2nd round to UDFA...
It's all about opportunity. How often do 3rd rounders get cut compared to UDFA? Nothing is invested in an UDFA.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:51 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Well I don't know if he was going to go top 5 in the first place.

RIP themaninblack
Old 05-11-2014, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Top five considerations were mostly pre and mid-season ruminations of mock drafters. Let's not forget players like Logan Thomas and Matt Barkley were top five players at one point or another as well. Ryan Mallett has amazing physical tools, but there were/are serious questions about his accuracy, his technical deficiencies, the fact that he came from Petrino's system, etc. It's not as if he was top five lock until drug rumors started swirling and he plummeted. Mallett had/has plenty of flaws as a prospect which played a large part in his ultimate draft position.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:15 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Sure but then you have to believe in the myth that Mallett was ever a top 5 caliber prospect. Which just wasn't true. Falling from a second/thrid rounder to the third round isn't falling at all. Mallett was horrifically slow about everything, his feet where like cement blocks, his deliver was turrible and he wasn't great at making quick accurate throws. He's huge and has a big arm, great, but that doesn't make you a first round pick.

Quote:
Old 05-11-2014, 07:30 PM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah....Mallett was never a top 5 pick caliber prospect.

To say he was and he fell to the 3rd due to off the field "problem" just isn't true. I mean, again, Matt Barkley during his season was considered a near lock to go #1.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote