Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 04-07-2007, 02:38 PM    (permalink
amesbear
Rookie

amesbear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Kenny Irons.....??

The new mock on Fox Sports has us taking Kenny Irons in the third. Does this seem strange to anyone else? We have needs all over the field and we take a RB on the first day? I feel like RB is one of our better positions and possibly our best group on offense. I'm interested to see what others think.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kind of a strange pick. I like Irons as a runningback, though, and I think he'll be a steal for any team that gets him. Talented, grind-it-out runner.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:20 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea i like Kenny Irons he may develop into a stud for whatever team drafts him buti think it odd of us to draft him in the third if he somehow slipped to the second day than im for it... I think we are set at RB though actually i think we need to get Mewelde the ball more often this coming year that guy can pull some crazy plays out of nowhere
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:48 PM    (permalink
chug o nomics
Rookie

chug o nomics hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If we go DE and WR in the first and second, then I'd be happy with Irons in the third.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:25 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm not in love with the RB Irons as much as I'd be okay with taking his brother the CB. We have no need for a day 1 RB. Period.
If you see a Vikings mock and it has a RB within our first 3 picks ....simply
laugh ...shake your head ...and close the window out.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:13 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
I'm not in love with the RB Irons as much as I'd be okay with taking his brother the CB. We have no need for a day 1 RB. Period.
If you see a Vikings mock and it has a RB within our first 3 picks ....simply
laugh ...shake your head ...and close the window out.
Dont forget to cross the fingers also because its not beyond Childress to do that. Only back we should consider is Peterson, and thats only if we cant draft Quinn, Landry, CJ, Thomas or trade out of our current first.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:43 PM    (permalink
amesbear
Rookie

These are basically the same thoughts I had. I like Irons but we have more pressing needs. I doubt he will be there in the 4th or later so I don't think we will see him.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:30 AM    (permalink
secondeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesbear View Post
The new mock on Fox Sports has us taking Kenny Irons in the third. Does this seem strange to anyone else? We have needs all over the field and we take a RB on the first day? I feel like RB is one of our better positions and possibly our best group on offense. I'm interested to see what others think.
Third round is a good spot to take the best available player. You want to balance your needs between best available in the first two, but while there are still players that can start for your team available in round 3, you want to grab anyone that can make the team at ANY position, including special teams.

We're not bad at RB, but Chester Taylor is not a franchise running back. While he isn't that old (28 this year) and he didn't have a lot of wear and tear coming in, we grind him up and down the field and he's going to be a short-term fix for the Vikings. So if Irons is the guy you think can push him, go ahead and take him.

you don't pass on a good RB because you have a good RB. The Denver Broncos should have taught you that much.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:37 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The only thing we've "learned" from Denver is that running backs are all over rated...and if you have 1 coming off a good year you can trade them for an elite CB...is that what you were talking about ?

...Denver "taught" us also that you can get a 1000 yard back off the streets or at worst in the 5th round.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:38 AM    (permalink
amesbear
Rookie

"you don't pass on a good RB because you have a good RB."

I agree that adding a good RB to any offense is a good idea. I just think that with our issues of WR, DB, pass rushing, QB questions, etc., that we need to look at other areas before RB. Denver has taught me that with good blocking and a "one cut and go" running game you can make a good running back out of a mediocre one... unless that back is Maurice Clarett.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:49 AM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesbear View Post
"you don't pass on a good RB because you have a good RB."

I agree that adding a good RB to any offense is a good idea. I just think that with our issues of WR, DB, pass rushing, QB questions, etc., that we need to look at other areas before RB. Denver has taught me that with good blocking and a "one cut and go" running game you can make a good running back out of a mediocre one... unless that back is Maurice Clarett.
But you do pass on a good RB, when you have 4 other good RBs and have so many other needs.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yea we are already stacked at RB i cant see us taking one on day one unless it Adrian Peterson
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote