Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: should they take away overtime?
yes 3 5.00%
no 27 45.00%
dont care 4 6.67%
alternate solution 26 43.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2007, 10:40 PM    (permalink
J-Hype
Rookie

J-Hype hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Overtime or not thatis the question

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10116125

what you guys think should there be overtime or not. I think the idea where they have the kickers have a shot out and move back 5 yds until somebody misses would be cool.
J-Hype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:42 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Icon

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am a Rams fan, and with our defense we would lose the game on the coin flip if we were to go to OT everytime, so I want each team to get the ball.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:07 PM    (permalink
LionSmack
Veteran

LionSmack hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hype View Post

what you guys think should there be overtime or not. I think the idea where they have the kickers have a shot out and move back 5 yds until somebody misses would be cool.
are you insane
LionSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:12 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the one possession per team idea, as I find it cheap that a team can win the toss, make a FG drive, and win the game.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:13 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I like the one possession per team idea, as I find it cheap that a team can win the toss, make a FG drive, and win the game.
Then your defense should step up and make the offense punt.

I can see arguments for both sides.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Aftermath
Veteran

Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.

Make it like College overtime.

Sig by yours truly.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:23 PM    (permalink
Big Mike
Veteran

Big Mike hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think each team should get the ball . The game however will still not end until the time ends. Basically each team should get a least 1 possesion.

ALL COMPLIMENTS TO: BANTX FOR THE SIG

XBOX360 Gamertag: GZA88
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:25 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say maybe if a team just wins the toss and scores on their first possession, the other team should get a shot. If they score, and then on the next drive the opponent scores, give them the game. That makes everyone happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:29 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The best idea is probably to simply tack on an extra 5 minutes to the game.

If the game is tied after the 4th, keep everything where its at and then add 5 minutes. No new kickoff, no coin flip, whoever has the ball at the end of regulation keeps the ball. Then just play until the 5 minutes is up regardless of how many points are scored. And just keep doing it until one team wins.

Although that would kind of minimize the 2 minute drill which I like. I dont really mind the current system that much, but what I just said would be my favorite if they did make a new system
Old 04-08-2007, 11:37 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no way keep it

My Raiders Mock

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:38 PM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hype View Post

Grammar and punctuation.

That is the question.
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:39 PM    (permalink
JC the Savior
Rookie

JC the Savior hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
The best idea is probably to simply tack on an extra 5 minutes to the game.

If the game is tied after the 4th, keep everything where its at and then add 5 minutes. No new kickoff, no coin flip, whoever has the ball at the end of regulation keeps the ball. Then just play until the 5 minutes is up regardless of how many points are scored. And just keep doing it until one team wins.

Although that would kind of minimize the 2 minute drill which I like. I dont really mind the current system that much, but what I just said would be my favorite if they did make a new system
\

That is an awful idea. It would make the two minute drill absolutely worthless...

I think a good solution would be a similar version to the NCAA system. Allow each team a possession, but instead of starting on the opponents 25-yard line, make the team start on their own 30. There is no reason to allow a team to start in field goal territory and it gives a chance for the defense to stop them.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:54 PM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

myinnerself hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Go to the college system, but move the starting point of each drive to the 35. BOOM, it's perfect.
myinnerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:15 AM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Then your defense should step up and make the offense punt.

I can see arguments for both sides.
What? Disagree completely... I don't think there's a reasonable argument for letting a coin flip determine the outcome of a game. There's only 16 of 'em in the regular season... it's a big deal. Getting the ball first is a HUGE advantage... one that usually ends the game. No team should be given an advantage that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC the Savior
I think a good solution would be a similar version to the NCAA system. Allow each team a possession, but instead of starting on the opponents 25-yard line, make the team start on their own 30. There is no reason to allow a team to start in field goal territory and it gives a chance for the defense to stop them.
I agree... but I think they should start with the ball closer than the 30. Midfield?

Either way, each team has to have a fair shot at winning. As I said before, letting a coin flip determine the outcome of a game is ridiculous.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:15 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with going to the college system. I think that is the perfect overtime solution.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:24 AM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC the Savior View Post
This man speaks the truth.
Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:57 AM    (permalink
frisby213
Rookie

frisby213 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLion View Post
What? Disagree completely... I don't think there's a reasonable argument for letting a coin flip determine the outcome of a game. There's only 16 of 'em in the regular season... it's a big deal. Getting the ball first is a HUGE advantage... one that usually ends the game. No team should be given an advantage that great.

Either way, each team has to have a fair shot at winning. As I said before, letting a coin flip determine the outcome of a game is ridiculous.
I disagree with this, and all the controversy around OT games. They act as if offense always beats defense...isn't it the job of a defense to step up and hold an opposing offense? Why is it that when it comes to overtime, it's not fair to give them this responsibility?? It's ridiculous.

Imagine you're the Chicago Bears, just an example. If you get into an OT game, which would you rather do...play defense on the opening drive, probably hold them, and give your mediocre offense good field position, or go first, probably have Rex throw an interception, and give THEM good field position.

Point is, DEFENSE MATTERS TOO. I'm sooo sick of people saying OT is screwed up, because it's not. If you're so concerned with it, build a team in the Ravens/Bears mold and create a great defense which will hold any opposing force. I can't even begin to say how much this annoys me, and this is coming from an Indy Colts fan, a team with one of the worst defenses in the league.
frisby213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:16 AM    (permalink
JC the Savior
Rookie

JC the Savior hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisby213 View Post
I disagree with this, and all the controversy around OT games. They act as if offense always beats defense...isn't it the job of a defense to step up and hold an opposing offense? Why is it that when it comes to overtime, it's not fair to give them this responsibility?? It's ridiculous.

Imagine you're the Chicago Bears, just an example. If you get into an OT game, which would you rather do...play defense on the opening drive, probably hold them, and give your mediocre offense good field position, or go first, probably have Rex throw an interception, and give THEM good field position.

Point is, DEFENSE MATTERS TOO. I'm sooo sick of people saying OT is screwed up, because it's not. If you're so concerned with it, build a team in the Ravens/Bears mold and create a great defense which will hold any opposing force. I can't even begin to say how much this annoys me, and this is coming from an Indy Colts fan, a team with one of the worst defenses in the league.
The problem is a GREAT defense will not stop an AVERAGE offense 100% of the time or even one missed tackle could cost them the game.

In my solution, with each team getting a possesion starting at their own 25, the most balanced team would win. If a defense held the opposing team scoreless, their own offense would then be forced to sustain a drive and score themselves (at least a field goal). Since they would be starting in their own territory, the team that stopped the initial team wouldn't be able to kick a chipshot field goal like the college system would allow.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:55 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The return game is part of the game too. The Bears were against the change because it decreases the value of a returner on your team.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:22 AM    (permalink
BoltsOnTheBeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post

So you're essentially instituting the NBA's Overtime structure?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:39 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is only one change that needs to be made, that would be infinitely better than the current system, and the nonsensical college format. That is; keep the sudden death element, except Field Goals cannot win it. If you can put it in the end-zone, you deserve to win. Inversely, if you cannot keep the other team out of the end-zone on defense, you deserve to lose.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:21 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
There is only one change that needs to be made, that would be infinitely better than the current system, and the nonsensical college format. That is; keep the sudden death element, except Field Goals cannot win it. If you can put it in the end-zone, you deserve to win. Inversely, if you cannot keep the other team out of the end-zone on defense, you deserve to lose.
I like this. It works in that it is similar to the college system, but not the same.

I like it how it is though, if you step up on defense you can win, if you dont, you lose, that simple.

As far as Im concerned if you lose in OT its not the OTs fault, you just didnt get it done for the rest of the game.

College works, I like the idea of moving it back, but if you got two teams like the Bears and Ravens it could go on for way too long. The idea with starting in FG range is that basically a turnover is gameover and that barring a complete mess up you will score, creating pressure and generating a result quicker.

Personally I wouldnt change it though, I like the way it works, a coin toss is as fair a way as you can get to decide who gets it, its not like there isnt a monster of a difference to being on offense or defense first in the college system anyway, it's just the reverse to the NFL. In college if you give up a TD your offense knows it is 4 down football.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:02 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I liked the "no FG's in OT" idea, but I really don't have a huge issue with the way OT works now...
Old 04-09-2007, 10:18 AM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i say if it is tied then they flip a coin like they do now, but play all 15 minutes. that will show who really wants it because no matter how in shape or athletic a player is, every player will be tired as hell from another 15 minutes of player, and therefor bring out the heart and grittyness of the game. (hopefully)

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:54 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletowel39 View Post
i say if it is tied then they flip a coin like they do now, but play all 15 minutes. that will show who really wants it because no matter how in shape or athletic a player is, every player will be tired as hell from another 15 minutes of player, and therefor bring out the heart and grittyness of the game. (hopefully)
7 OTs>15 minutes.

I really think they should go to the college format. It doesn't get much better in sports than college OT. Arkansas vs Kentucky was sick.

If they don't want to do something that drastic though what Shiver suggested makes a lot of sense.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote