Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: should they take away overtime?
yes 3 5.00%
no 27 45.00%
dont care 4 6.67%
alternate solution 26 43.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2007, 10:58 AM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
7 OTs>15 minutes.

I really think they should go to the college format. It doesn't get much better in sports than college OT. Arkansas vs Kentucky was sick.

If they don't want to do something that drastic though what Shiver suggested makes a lot of sense.
i agree that college OT are greatness, but they league has blatantly stated they aren't going to go that direction because it "goes against what football is" and doesn't include the ST.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:05 AM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Shiver's idea. Think about it, if you're playing a team with a great kicker, say they return it to the 35, get a 20-yard play down to your 45, and then a couple plays later they're at the 30, and the game is over. With his idea, you have the chance to hold them from that last 30 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:30 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
There is only one change that needs to be made, that would be infinitely better than the current system, and the nonsensical college format. That is; keep the sudden death element, except Field Goals cannot win it. If you can put it in the end-zone, you deserve to win. Inversely, if you cannot keep the other team out of the end-zone on defense, you deserve to lose.
That's a pretty good idea.

I dislike college OT, and think the NFL's is best. But Shiver's idea I would not mind.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:40 AM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

myinnerself hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think Shiver has a great idea too, but potentially the game could go on for like an extra 2 quarters. Whoever said that 60% isn't a big deal is ridiculous. Honestly, it should be close to 50% considering the fact that so many sudden death games have been played. If the system was a good system it would be really really close to 50%, and 60% isn't. Clearly the team who gets the ball first has a big advantage. The college system is the best, but since the NFL wants to keep the special teams involved, I don't know where OT fits in. Maybe they should just eliminate OT if they won't change to a more fair and exciting system, because in a 16 game season each game is far too important to trust it to some unfair OT system. So either make it fair and put in a college like system, or get rid of it.
myinnerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:53 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hype View Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10116125

what you guys think should there be overtime or not. I think the idea where they have the kickers have a shot out and move back 5 yds until somebody misses would be cool.
thats a sick idea but make they kick the ball bare foot :) lol. How many games are even going to be determend in OT? it really doesnt matter.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:42 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
*shakes head*

so the team that won the coin flip won a little over 60% of the time? by god, something must be horribly wrong! it HAS to be a 50/50 split, right? otherwise, the system is clearly broken! what if, when they go to the college system, they find that the team that gets the ball second wins 74% of the time? do they start giving both teams the ball second? maybe they should just start flipping a coin to determine the output, as that's the only way to give each team a "fair" 50% chance of winning.

this is the stupidest argument i've ever heard repeated over and over. if you can't play both sides of the ball, you have no business winning, period.
The reason it is unfair that the team who wins the coin flip wins 60%+ of the time is because the team who won the coin toss doesn't need their defense to step up. The team that wins the coin toss has to do one thing to win, that is score. The team that loses the toss has to do 2 things to score, that is stop the other team from scoring, and then score themself. How is that fair at all?

The reason the college system is more fair is that because each time has to play both offense and defense in order for the game to end. In the NFL system it is possible for one team to only have to play offense.

Last edited by someone447 : 04-09-2007 at 12:44 PM.
someone447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

myinnerself hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
*shrug* or they could've scored again in regulation and there wouldn't have been a problem in the first place. for every "not fair" excuse, there are likely a large number of things the other team could've done differently to avoid that situation. there is absolutely no reason to bend the rules because some teams either play down to bad opponents or because their coach is too weak to go for a win in regulation.
You are ridiculous. There is no reason to have a coin flip give one team an advantage over the other. There is no reason for each team to not have the same opportunity to win a game after both teams end regulation with the SAME SCORE. What if a bad team plays really really really well all game against a really good team, and is playing the game of its life and did everything it could to get to OT, and then the coin flip allows the other team to get the ball and gives them a 60% chance of winning, when instead we could have had a system that gives each team's defense and offense a chance to win the game. Your logic is ridiculous, each team should have an equal opportunity to win the friggin game during overtime, and 60% isn't close. There is no reason not to go to a more fair system that at least gives each team's offense and defense a chance to compete in overtime.
myinnerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Green Bay Scat
Pro Bowler

Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.

why change it? if you like the college OT, then watch college football and turn off the TV if NFL goes to OT. Im sorry but this game is also built on luck, the browns are 3rd in the draft thanks to luck. In honesty, if your team cant stop the other team, it doesnt deserve the win, and if its a fluke play, oh well, **** happens, but to change it would just be stupid. If you cant stand the fact that your defense sucks, then just stop watching. I remember the seattle, GB playoff game where Al Harris INT the pass for 6. Its that do or die mentality. How bout the Rams Panters game in 03(?), where it went to double ot, that was a classic game, because you didnt know what was going to happen, but if people just STARTED at the 30 or 35, they could easly just try a FG if need be, cause 52yrd is makable in the NFL. I like the current and if they change it, i think its just the start for a terrible fall for the NFL.
Green Bay Scat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:02 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the browns are 3rd in the draft cuz they suck, not cuz of luck. :D but i agree with what you said.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say keep it as it is, but if it has to be changed, then I like Bill Belichick's idea of a 7-1/2-minute overtime period that is played to completion.

Granted a weak defensive team will likely still complain, in this case that the opponent will conduct a long drive that takes most of that alloted time, but at least in this scenario they have a better chance to get the ball back.

Of course, they should better their defense instead of crying, but that's another matter.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:20 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
again, maybe we should do away with home games. they give the home team BETTER than a 60% chance of winning the game. i mean, that's totally unfair. the teams should be on equal footing to start the game, right? they should just all take shots from the 5 at the end zone until one team gets tired. but that team won't lose, because that wouldn't be fair if they'd played like, really really hard all game. sorry, this is the nfl. if you can't play defense in a win or go home situation, you don't belong in the league. if your team can't play defense, you should've played better in regulation. although i think it's really funny that everyone's worried about "fair". i mean, it's not fair that the giants (i think?) had 7 home games last year or next year. that's compeltely ridiculous. and i haven't seen 1/100 the passion about that.
Jesus Christ, are you just stupid? It is called HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE, each team gets 8 home games and each road games which relies in absolutely no way on luck. There are few enough OT games that the law of large numbers doesn't apply.

Do you not realize that your "if a team doesn't play good defense they don't deserve to win" argument actually takes away from what you are trying to say? If a team has to play defense to win, then the team that wins the coin flip should have to also play defense.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:20 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
again, maybe we should do away with home games. they give the home team BETTER than a 60% chance of winning the game. i mean, that's totally unfair. the teams should be on equal footing to start the game, right? they should just all take shots from the 5 at the end zone until one team gets tired. but that team won't lose, because that wouldn't be fair if they'd played like, really really hard all game. sorry, this is the nfl. if you can't play defense in a win or go home situation, you don't belong in the league. if your team can't play defense, you should've played better in regulation. although i think it's really funny that everyone's worried about "fair". i mean, it's not fair that the giants (i think?) had 7 home games last year or next year. that's compeltely ridiculous. and i haven't seen 1/100 the passion about that.
Dolphins lose out on a home game this year but they play the Giants in that game.
Giants had 9 home games in the 2005 season.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
frisby213
Rookie

frisby213 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

You know what, I like the idea of a TD-only OT...but if it had to change, here's what i'd say:

Keep it all the same, but take away the coin flip. Give first possession to the home team. This creates consistency, and reinforces the idea of "home field advantage." If a team comes in and plays a host well enough to force an OT, it's the home team's right to have the first shot to win in their own place. Should they fail to succeed, the away team can carry on to attempt an "upset" of sorts.

Last edited by frisby213 : 04-09-2007 at 05:34 PM.
frisby213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Titans10
Veteran

Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Overtime is a must...I like the NCAA system

But I think the teams should start at the 50 so at least they have to pick up a first own or two to be able to kick a field goal

All-hail Bulluck
Titans10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

ks_perfection hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The current system is fine, its not fair but teams who let the game go to overtime don't deserve to win anyway so they shouldn't complain.
ks_perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:26 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It should be like college football except they start on their own 25's and not the opponents 25

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:39 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This topic has become ridiculous... each team should get a chance in overtime. Getting the ball first in the current overtime situation is a big deal.

A change needs to be made. Period.

Quote:
The current system is fine, its not fair but teams who let the game go to overtime don't deserve to win anyway so they shouldn't complain.
WHAT!? "It's not fair but it's fine...". Wow... nice.

Overtime is a part of sports. If you know that it isn't fair, you should be in support of a change.

So, if you think that teams "don't deserve to win" for going to overtime, do you think each should receive a loss?

Last edited by TacticaLion : 04-09-2007 at 06:41 PM.
TacticaLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:42 PM    (permalink
cardsalltheway
Veteran

cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
There is only one change that needs to be made, that would be infinitely better than the current system, and the nonsensical college format. That is; keep the sudden death element, except Field Goals cannot win it. If you can put it in the end-zone, you deserve to win. Inversely, if you cannot keep the other team out of the end-zone on defense, you deserve to lose.
I like that idea a lot.

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club
cardsalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:45 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsalltheway View Post
I like that idea a lot.
Agree. No FG... each gets a chance.

That has my vote.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No FGs is insipid imo. You're removing kickers, paid members of football rosters like Robbie Gould and Adam Vinatieri, from the game.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:56 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
No FGs is insipid imo. You're removing kickers, paid members of football rosters like Robbie Gould and Adam Vinatieri, from the game.
Yet, people want to go to College's system; where Punters, and Return Specialists are excluded. Either you keep it as is, or something is going to have to change.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:00 PM    (permalink
cardsalltheway
Veteran

cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.

Quote:
I would rather have the offense and defense decide a sudden death game than the kickers. Like what Chris said a few posts up, with one big play a team can be in position to win the game. I don't personally like that, but I do see where you're coming from as far as taking out that part game being unfair to the teams whose kickers are very good.

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club
cardsalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

To be fair, I never mentioned any support for the college system, Shiver. I feel the same way in that regard, why exclude potential playmakers from the pro game like Devin Hester.

I believe it was a few years ago when Eddie Drummond had a monster game on returns, including a big one in overtime, which helped Mariucci's Lions win a road game. He's a part of the roster like a quarterback or cornerback.

As I said in an earlier post, keep it as is. If it must be changed, play a 7-1/2-minute overtime period to completion to keep the same pressure to win on coaching staffs. In the latter scenario, a pick six actually wouldn't end the game, as we saw in the Seattle @ Green Bay playoff game from a few years back.

That's how I feel, at least.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:19 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
To be fair, I never mentioned any support for the college system, Shiver. I feel the same way in that regard, why exclude potential playmakers from the pro game like Devin Hester.

I believe it was a few years ago when Eddie Drummond had a monster game on returns, including a big one in overtime, which helped Mariucci's Lions win a road game. He's a part of the roster like a quarterback or cornerback.

As I said in an earlier post, keep it as is. If it must be changed, play a 7-1/2-minute overtime period to completion to keep the same pressure to win on coaching staffs. In the latter scenario, a pick six actually wouldn't end the game, as we saw in the Seattle @ Green Bay playoff game from a few years back.

That's how I feel, at least.
If you thought I was including you in the 'College system!1!' crowd, you misunderstood. If they were to drastically change the OT system, I prefer my plan, rather than the college system. Of which, I called "nonsensical" in my original post. Ideally, I think they shouldn't change things this severely. The NFL is ridiculously popular. Dramatically changing rules would be a mistake, which is why it will never happen.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:39 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Shiver's idea, but I think field goals should still be allowed in OT, just not allowed to win the game. If all a team can muster is a FG, then their defense should have to completely stop the opposing offense to win the game.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote