Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 04-19-2007, 07:30 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This sucks for Corp. I wonder if he will transfer because of this.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"
freebirdsrams02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:38 PM    (permalink
bwillie26
Veteran

bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerNation View Post
Doesn't next years transfer year 2007 just count as a year off for him making him a True Soph. in 2008. Then he could RS in 2008 makiing him a RS Junior in 2009 which would leave him two years to start. Rocky Hinds did the same thing. He had already used his RS at USC, then sat out 2005, and entered last year as a RS Soph. The year off doesn't have to be a player's RS year does it?
Mustain played last year taking up his freshman season of eligibility. For transfers, it requires you to sit out one season. So Mustain will redshirt so he will not lose that season. So he will be a RS Sophmore for 2008.

He can play on the scout team, giving alot of help in practice, though.
bwillie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:46 PM    (permalink
HuskerNation
Rookie

HuskerNation needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillie26 View Post
Mustain played last year taking up his freshman season of eligibility. For transfers, it requires you to sit out one season. So Mustain will redshirt so he will not lose that season. So he will be a RS Sophmore for 2008.

He can play on the scout team, giving alot of help in practice, though.
You're correct.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:52 PM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1

i wonder why he chose to come here though, there are probably so many other division 1 schools he could have started playing at immediately after his transfer went through. Texas, Oklahoma, UCLA, Cal, Oregon, Virginia Tech all make more sense to me than him choosing to come here. on the bright side though, if he does good it will be one more player at our disposal though i guess...

gamertag: uscfan06

RWFender1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:04 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWFender1 View Post
i wonder why he chose to come here though, there are probably so many other division 1 schools he could have started playing at immediately after his transfer went through. Texas, Oklahoma, UCLA, Cal, Oregon, Virginia Tech all make more sense to me than him choosing to come here. on the bright side though, if he does good it will be one more player at our disposal though i guess...
Texas? I guess if Colt McCoy wasn't only in his Soph year and had a great Frosh year then yea that would make sense kinda...
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

he easily could have won the job at OU

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:45 PM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1

maybe texas wasnt the best example but i still see it as a better choice than USC with all the depth at QB. i think he should have looked at Cal, Oregon, VT and Oklahoma though

Old 04-19-2007, 10:56 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

This was a stupid move. We'll probably never hear from him again.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:54 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdsrams02 View Post
This sucks for Corp. I wonder if he will transfer because of this.
damnit, i know. I really wanted to see corp too, stupid mustain.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:09 AM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Goodbye Matt Barkley. :(
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:11 AM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

im almost as excited to see corp start as i am sanchez. it will be exciting to see USC have a dual threat QB but i guess we might have to wait longer to see that...

Old 04-20-2007, 12:16 AM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

If Corp is as good as advertised he'll beat out Mustain.

Mitch looked pretty pedestrian every time I watched him play. Matt Stafford was the best freshman QB in the SEC last year, but Mustain got all the hype.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:31 AM    (permalink
TheMikey10
Rookie

TheMikey10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

man, i was hopin cal would get him. He would be amazing here
Old 04-20-2007, 12:55 AM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

well i havent seen much of mustain except a few highlights and the USC vs. Arkansas game. i wasnt too impressed with what he did in the arkansas game. looked like he threw short, safe passes that only amounted in a few yards...maybe he wasnt as good in that game or has improved. i guess there is a reason why he is so high recruited but i do think corp still has potential to beat him out. might give sanchez a little more insentive to work harder knowing that mustain is here too which could be good

Old 04-20-2007, 01:23 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One has to assume that the coaching staff told him the job will most likely be his because it's not everyday a guy decides to transfer to a team with two 5 star prospects already on the depth chart
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:29 AM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

good chance but on the other hand there are no garuntees at USC. technically its not even garunteed John David Booty will start next year but its pretty obvious he will. stafon johnson was the top recruited running back last year out of all the RBs and he has barely seen the field.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:57 AM    (permalink
benchod
Rookie

benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWFender1 View Post
well i havent seen much of mustain except a few highlights and the USC vs. Arkansas game. i wasnt too impressed with what he did in the arkansas game. looked like he threw short, safe passes that only amounted in a few yards...maybe he wasnt as good in that game or has improved. i guess there is a reason why he is so high recruited but i do think corp still has potential to beat him out. might give sanchez a little more insentive to work harder knowing that mustain is here too which could be good
That was only his very first college game. He looked impressive enough for it being the start of his college career.

Still, a stupid move considering there are plenty of other schools that he could've gone to where he could've essentially been guaranteed the starter spot after sitting out the year.
benchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:17 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchod View Post
That was only his very first college game. He looked impressive enough for it being the start of his college career.

Still, a stupid move considering there are plenty of other schools that he could've gone to where he could've essentially been guaranteed the starter spot after sitting out the year.
I agree. He could have gone to the University of Kentucky and taken over for Andre Woodson
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:51 AM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

well he probably believes he CAN beat out corp and possibly sanchez. i dont see him beating out sanchez though but who knows

Old 04-20-2007, 04:18 PM    (permalink
Bostonsportlova
Rookie

Bostonsportlova hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I dont want to be mean hear but... Mustain will sit the bench for the rest of his carrer maybe some games here and there but not a starter. The players Pete C. gets he wont play. Maybe he will get drafted in the 7th round as a senoir (matt cassell type thing)

If he went to a D2 school. He would not only play the rest of his carrer he would put of huge numbers and get drafted (3-4) as the best small school player.
Bostonsportlova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:00 PM    (permalink
songofthesword

MY GOSH!!!!

First of all, NOT ONE PERSON HERE knows what they are talking about. You don't have any idea of what type of QB he is, why he transferred, etc.

First of all, as far as his QB skills, considering he was a freshman, didn't do all of too bad. Also didn't have the best crop of WR's in the world either. marcus Monk is an NFL WR but even he is extremely unpolished. Damian williams was okay but had trouble getting off the line at times and had a case of the droppies.

The reason he transferred is a little bit complex. of course he was the main cog in the springdale 5. At first, Neither he, nor Webb (OL for ND) nor Damian Williams, or Ben Cleveland had any intentions of playing for Arkansas. none whatsoever. Damian committed to Florida, Mitch was in love with ND and Michigan was a possibility. What made it worse is, springdale is a 10 minute drive from Arkansas's home field. you couldn't drive around town without hearing how bad of a recruiter houston nutt was, how you can not put a fence around your state, etc.

Houston Nutt somehow convinces Mustian to commit to Arkansas before his season starts. however, he sees the tragedy that was the arkansas's offense and thought better of it and de-committed.

So coming off a 4 and 7 season, Nutt was on the hot seat big time. After the season, Frank Boyle's (the AD) and the BOD met with Nutt and made him hire Gus as their Offensive Coordinator.. for thoose of you who don't know Nutt had been the offensive cordnator the entire time he has been at arkansas.

With the promise of Gus that the offense was going to change, which was really the S5's only concern about playing in a predictable jr high offensive scheme, all but Webb committed to Arkansas. All was well in Arkansas land.

So practice comes around and Mitch isn't red shirted, even though we had a true freshman as a starter the previous year (can't say I disagree, Mustian's better). however, neither one of them get the start in the USC game, Robert Johnson gets the start.. and after that game was switched to WR never to see QB again (although he has become a more than serviceable WR, best route runner on the team). Mitch comes in, and drives us to a touchdown in his first series.

After that, with the game slipping away, Mitch forces some balls, makes a couple of bad plays, but considering it was his first game as a college athlete, it was a hell of a showing.

so Frank Broyles than demands that mitch be the starter, so he is.

Mitch goes 8 and 0. however what you don't see is the offense never opening up, and arkansas, regardless of us hiring Gus as the offensive cordnator, Nutt is still calling all the plays.

You'd be pissed too.

Arkansas fans get a bad rep. it's not the lack of passing that pisses us off.. we have one of the best running back tandems ever. it's that when we are forced to pass the ball (i.e LsU, FL, Wisconsin), we fail and we fail miserably. Our WR's don't' know how to run routes, and usually we only run plays where there are 2 or even 1 WR in the entire Spread. Our QB's don't know how to read coverages, etc. All this comes from a lack of coaching, and a lack of practicing.

So we end the year. Gus actually gets Cordnatior of the year via rivals, AND TRANSFERS TO TAKE THE SAME JOB AT TULSA!!! to get away from arkansas. it's that bad.

Then (and this is one of the real reasons he left, not what you have read) One of houston nutt's friends, actually I think it's a friend of Danny Nutt, his brother and RB coach, emailed Mitch and basically blasted him, calling him names that you don't call a college freshman and you defeinatly don't do so if you are a friend of the Head Football coaches.

Then all this is brought to frank broyles, and Frank basically tells him tough **** kid, and that "he wouldn't make it in the SEC because he's not mobile enough".

So after all that, you'd leave to.

USC is getting a HELL of a QB. He's a VErY smart kid, he has all the tools in the world, has a little learning to do, but he's not a "mommas boy" like he's been spun out to be.. he got an extremely raw deal

Look at what happened this year. Not one top ARK player in arkansas would take arkansas seriously.. no one wants to be a part of that mess. We win 10 games and have probably the worst recruiting year since Nutt has been on the hill. We lost Burns and Ziemba (future 1st rounder, book it) to Auburn. We lost the running back to USC (I forgot his name) and we lost a WR that was highly recruited to Texas.

Ryan mallet was ours to loose since he was a sophomore, but when Nutt had him come to camp and try out as a tight end ,he promptly dropped us off his list.

Right after the Mustain situation, the BOD made Boryles resign at the end of this coming year (it will be his 50th year with arkansas, so they are letting him stay until then)

anyway, i'm getting pissed talking about it.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:56 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, if that's the case, shouldn't Nutt be fired???
Old 04-30-2007, 02:02 AM    (permalink
HuskerNation
Rookie

HuskerNation needs more cowbell.

I think he'll be great
Old 04-30-2007, 10:47 AM    (permalink
NDfootball
Rookie

NDfootball hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

There is a good chance that he ends up starting for SC after Booty leaves, but there's also a pretty good chance he never gets to be a starter. As a college player it must be very enticing to play for SC right now. If Mustain becomes a starter, hes almost definately a first round pick, but he could also go undrafted if he doesnt start. High risk, high reward. Good luck to him.
NDfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:46 AM    (permalink
TouchdownUSC
Rookie

TouchdownUSC hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i think mustain possibly could start after sanchez but i have a hard time seeing him start after booty. does aaron corp remind anyone else of tim tebow?

Last edited by TouchdownUSC : 05-01-2007 at 10:50 AM.
TouchdownUSC is offline   Reply With Quote