Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:30 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default Broncos give Shanahan three year extention

Quote:
Broncos signed coach Mike Shanahan to a three-year contract extension through 2011.

Shanahan will be 58 when the deal is up. He's already the second-longest tenured coach in the league to Jeff Fisher with 12 seasons under his belt. With Jay Cutler, Javon Walker, Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler, and Daniel Graham around long-term, the passing game figures to be in good shape
From Rotoworld for now...
Old 04-09-2007, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

From Profootballtalk.com:

Quote:
COACH KEVLAR CATCHES AN EXTENSION

The Denver Broncos have announced that coach Mike Shanahan has agreed to a three-year extension. His contract now runs through the 2011 season.

Not bad for a guy who has been to only one AFC title game since winning nearly a decade ago back-to-back championships with a roster that was held together via salary cap shenanigans.

At a time when the NFL has morphed from a "What have you done for me lately?" proposition to a "What are you doing for me right now, and what can I get out of you tomorrow?" deal, Shanahan is the rarest of all rarities -- a head coach who continues to hold his job despite a chronic inability to climb to the top of the mountain.

And ultimate success in the NFL is judged by whether a team can win the ultimate prize. In most cities. In Denver, carefully crafted statistical observations like "Shanahan is one of only three coaches in the 87-year history of professional football with more championships than losing seasons with one team among those with at least 10 years with that club" will instead justify a virtual lifetime arrangement.

In 2006, Shanahan's Broncos flamed out after a strong start, missing the postseason for the first time since 2002. The Broncos also failed to qualify for the playoffs in 1995, 1999, and 2001.

So, in twelve seasons, Shanahan is 7-5 when it comes to makes the playoffs. It's good but not great; Coach Chin was 10-5 in that category through 15 seasons with the Steelers, and the Big Show is 11-4 in 15 years with the Packers and the Seahawks.

Even Denny Green had eight playoff appearances in ten years with the Vikings. Even with three crappy years in Arizona added to his resume, Green's 8-5 playoff-or-not mark is better than Shanahan's.

So, in our view, the entire Shanahan body of work is not nearly good enough to get a three-year extension, at a time when he has two full years left on his current contract.

Then again, it doesn't surprise us. Owner Pat Bowlen has held Shanahan to a far different standard than the bar that over the past 12 years has claimed many other coaches. Every NFL coach so be so fortunate.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:22 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, stability is what makes a team good. Sure, the Broncos may not have won a SB recently, but we've been contending for a playoff spot every year for years. Over that stretch, how many teams have risen and faded? The Ravens won the SB, faded, and are back, the Chargers rose, the Raiders rose and faded, the Chiefs rose and faded, and this is just off the top of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The best play caller in the business. Legend and future Hall of Famer and one of the greatest HC's ever.

Since 94 or some thing. The Broncos, Packers, Chiefs, Steelers have the best winning percentages. All have won a super bowl except the Chiefs.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:52 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

good move but bad news for raider fans

My Raiders Mock

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:55 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coaching contracts don't mean anything anymore. Coaches can get fired or walk away all the time, so the contracts are essentially useless. All it really does is give Shanahan financial stability. Other than that, there is no benefit to anyone. If Shanahan has 2 bad years in a row, he will be fired (most likely). Basically, it postpones negotiation dates back a year or two and gives Shanahan more guaranteed income.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:55 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Shanny. Best coach in the NFL not named Bellicheck.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I love Shanny. Best coach in the NFL not named Bellicheck.
gonna have to disagree with u on that one
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
fascinating argument.
Fine while i think Shanahan is very good, coaches such as Sean Payton, John Fox, and BIll Cowher,if he counts, are better than him
Old 04-09-2007, 04:06 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
Fine while i think Shanahan is very good, coaches such as Sean Payton, John Fox, and BIll Cowher,if he counts, are better than him
Sean Payton? Sean Payton is fine and original coach, but he hasn't won anything. Let's give him a couple of seasons under his belt before we break out the annointing oil.

As for John Fox, he's had two tremendous seasons, and then some huge stinkers. I like the guy, but tend to think he's a bit overrated (like putting him as one of the best), and I've heard more rumblings from Panthers fans as of late. I think he's on the hotseat this year and will need to at least make the playoffs.

I really think the only legit coaches you could put vs. Shanny are Holmgren, Dungy, Reid, and Gruden (though I personally don't like Gruden much at all).

Old 04-09-2007, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Sean Payton? Sean Payton is fine and original coach, but he hasn't won anything. Let's give him a couple of seasons under his belt before we break out the annointing oil.

As for John Fox, he's had two tremendous seasons, and then some huge stinkers. I like the guy, but tend to think he's a bit overrated (like putting him as one of the best), and I've heard more rumblings from Panthers fans as of late. I think he's on the hotseat this year and will need to at least make the playoffs.

I really think the only legit coaches you could put vs. Shanny are Holmgren, Dungy, Reid, and Gruden (though I personally don't like Gruden much at all).
forgot about this guy but i think Holmgren is also better and what about * sarcasm*Art Shell*sarcasm*
Old 04-09-2007, 04:14 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
fascinating argument.
He also negative repped me. Cause having different opinions is a bad thing apparently.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
He also negative repped me. Cause having different opinions is a bad thing apparently.
ya i dont no really when to negative rep, my bad, i take it that is not a time when u negative rep.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:20 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
ya i dont no really when to negative rep, my bad, i take it that is not a time when u negative rep.
Eh..I don't care. I just neg rep you back and mine is more powerful so you lose in the end. :p

Old 04-09-2007, 04:34 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well deserved for Mike

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:01 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He still hasn't won the big one without Elway. :D

Good for Mike, he's been a hell of a coach and seems on the verge of big things in the coming years. Its good to start hearing some good news come out of Denver in light of all the bad news that was coming out.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
*sigh* the rep feature should be removed from people who haven't passed a Rep IQ test. i'll write it if Windy will administer it and 51 will grade it.
Fortunately, his rep is so low it's tantamount to shooting Superman with a 9mm.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:12 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't tug on Superman's cape Chucky. ;)

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:16 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Fortunately, his rep is so low it's tantamount to shooting Superman with a 9mm.

I once got Neg Repped by TNew.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-09-2007, 05:18 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
I once got Neg Repped by TNew.
Does that even count as negative rep?

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-09-2007, 05:22 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
Does that even count as negative rep?
Nope. If you're in the red, you can't hand out any rep. Although a good idea would to make it so that if a guy like TNew gave you -rep, it should become +rep and triple your count. Because disagreeing with TNew automatically makes you smart.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-09-2007, 05:28 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Im hoping Fox gets fired. You can probably pencil him in as the next Giants HC if thats the case. The Giants LOVE Fox. They never wanted to let him go, but had no choice. If he's available, you can kiss Coughlin goodbye and say hello to Fox in Giant blue. I love his defense, he runs one of the few 4-3 schemes that I personally like.

As for Shanny being the 2nd best...I dunno. I have Holmgren ahead of him. I think Holmgren's success with multiple qbs and multiple teams gives him the nod. If Reid ever wins a SB, he'll be ahead, but right now, no.

I guess he's #3 on the list. While I agree that Bellichick is the best, I think he's overrated in the context of history. I need to see him win without Brady before I give him more credit than some other guys. You can make the argument that Holmgren is the best HC in the NFL, not Bellichick.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:47 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

John Fox wont get fired, the teams had a lot of injury problems and Jerry Richardson knows that. We've taken steps this year to improve the teams coaching staff and hopefully we can get healthy and take some rings.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:38 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
John Fox wont get fired, the teams had a lot of injury problems and Jerry Richardson knows that. We've taken steps this year to improve the teams coaching staff and hopefully we can get healthy and take some rings.
But what if you guys have another bad season?

Its possible. The oline could be better, Foster is the starter again, Dellhomme hasn't played well.

Rucker is aging, Morgan is injury prone...Keyshawn is aging, theres no guarantee that Fox has a good year. And that means he could get fired.

Chances are he won't, but a Giants fan can only dream...