Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who is the better QB all time?
Dan Marino 77 45.03%
Brett Favre 94 54.97%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2007, 02:18 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Meh...this poll is just about dead even at this point. You could find facts and statistics and come up with arguments to support either one. It's nothing more than personal preference.
very true...

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:24 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Of course Brett Favre

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Man_Of_Steel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Marino as a football player
Farve as an actor
Man_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSmack View Post
First of all, I wasn't saying Favre isn't a Hall of Famer and an all-time great. He is certainly in the top 10. But not the top 5 imo. Too many mistakes, too much careless play.

Second, please spare me the excuses about poor receivers and guards and the sun getting in his eyes at Lambeau. I guess that means I can say Scott Mitchell and Joey Harrington were All-Pros except for having sucky players around them? No. You are what your results say you are.

Third, I don't blame "4th and 26" on him, but I seem to remember a string of playoff years when Favre threw costly late-game interceptions. And then there was that ridiculous play he made throwing some flip pass five yard past the line of scrimmage. Don't expect me to go look it all up.
Not top 5? That's laughable dude. I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt but it's now apparent that you're too biased to have an intelligent discussion. Favre only has 21 more INT's than Marino, but he also has more completions on less attempts, a higher completion percentage, and he will have more TD's when it's all said and done. Brett also hasn't missed a game in 16+ seasons, whereas Marino's longest run was 5 seasons. Using a margin of 21 INT's to negate all of the good things he did in his career is a pretty skewed perspective. I'm not even trying to say that Favre is better, they were both all time greats, it's just too close to call.

BTW, Favre's "results" say he was better than Marino. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Vince Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:53 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Numbers aren't everything. They are good for discussion, but they aren't the end-all, be-all of an argument in this case. It is nearly impossible to truly compare most of the top QB's due to different eras, rules, etc. I think the only real way to do it is to list a top 10 all time. Both Marino and Favre have to be included in that list.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Packman1957
Veteran

Packman1957 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I believe both are very good QB's, there are arguments for both sides on who is better, in fact it is neck and neck close, its kind of like comparing Manning vs. Brady. I personally would be happy with either one of them, so personally I don't think there is a clear cut answer here.

I noticed an argument above, and it said since Marino had more passing attempts he should have more yards, I agree, however he should also than have more interceptions but he doesnt, so that can be counter argued. I mean even as a Packer fan I have to admit that the most impressive thing about Favre (and its not even close) is the fact that he has played so many consecutive games, that alone is very impressive and I have a hard time believing anyone will pass that record up in the next 30 years, unless we make a huge stride in curing injuries faster. Otherwise I doubt anyone will ever even touch that record (and i am not counting kickers and punters).
Old 04-10-2007, 02:58 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
Marino as a football player
Farve as an actor
I disagree. I'll take Favre as a player while giving props to Marino on his performance in Ace Ventura.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:59 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Isotoners. I am ambivalent towards cheese...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
I disagree. I'll take Favre as a player while giving props to Marino on his performance in Ace Ventura.
There's Something About Mary was a superior performance. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Vince Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:16 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi View Post
There's Something About Mary was a superior performance. :p
It was close, for sure. Of course we all know that the best performance by a QB was Jim Kelly in "Necessary Roughness"
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
GadoR'Savior
Rookie

GadoR'Savior needs more cowbell.

Look at the record books Favre after this year will almost all big once except for yards unless he throws for like 5000 yards. That says something i think, but in 10 years Manning will have brokin like all of them again and he will be the best of all time.

Now Favre> Marino> Elway
10 years Manning > Favre and Marino
Old 04-10-2007, 03:37 PM    (permalink
GadoR'Savior
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
So your saying 4th and 26 was Favre's fault? Your saying the drafting of "great" players like RObert Ferguson, Jamal Reynolds, Terrance Murphy, Donnell Washington, and Ahmad Carroll is Favre's fault. Your saying that his 29 INTs in '05 was his fault, after he lost 2 probowl OG's?
Yeah he doesnt know what hes talking hes a lion fan, he tries to blame farve for everything in jeliousy because Favre can get his team somewhere while his beloved Lions cant go anywhere!

he's right he's a typical Lion fan and Bear fan, hating on Favre cuz he owns your teams. So i will never take a Lion fans opinion on Favre because through out his career he beat there I LIKE EVADING THE CENSORS BECAUSE IT MAKES ME FEEL PRETTY for all those years. And not Bear fans because Packers and Bears are huge rivals so they hate him. Vikings I will though cuz them and the Packers have been very competive for most of his career. So there more honest IMO Lions and Bears fans....there not at all

Last edited by njx9 : 04-10-2007 at 03:45 PM.
GadoR'Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
GadoR'Savior
Rookie

Terry Bradshaw in Failure to Launch, it has to win he walked around naked haha
Old 04-10-2007, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would take Dan Marino. I think his prime was far more impressive, because he was dominant in the tougher decade, for which to put up those numbers. In fact, his 48-TD season blows Peyton Manning away. Manning has had great stats in the generation for which it is easier to rack up passing accomplishments.

Last edited by Shiver : 04-10-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadoR'Savior View Post
Yeah he doesnt know what hes talking hes a lion fan, he tries to blame farve for everything in jeliousy because Favre can get his team somewhere while his beloved Lions cant go anywhere!

he's right he's a typical Lion fan and Bear fan, hating on Favre cuz he owns your teams. So i will never take a Lion fans opinion on Favre because through out his career he beat there I LIKE EVADING THE CENSORS BECAUSE IT MAKES ME FEEL PRETTY for all those years. And not Bear fans because Packers and Bears are huge rivals so they hate him. Vikings I will though cuz them and the Packers have been very competive for most of his career. So there more honest IMO Lions and Bears fans....there not at all
I don't know what made me laugh more there. The neat new word for "asses," or the general post.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:29 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
you're saying the replacement guards threw those 29 passes?
lol look who talking, your qb cant even get the ball out of his hands because ur oline cant block. The oline is a foundation for you qb to do well and if one side breaks, the hole everything supporting it will fall. Favre was trying to make plays thinking it might be his last game. He wants to leave as a winner.

Last edited by PACKmanN : 04-10-2007 at 04:32 PM.
PACKmanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsDemon12 View Post
for me its no question...marino, the guy owns records(or atleast had most of them dam peyton) i really dont think farvre deserves that touchdown record... marino has the most passing td's but i mean he is nowhere near the top of the career interceptions list...isnt farve near the top of both....better quarterback = marino better football player.... is an extremly close one...with the edge to farve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Favre has thrown 273 interceptions and Marino has thrown 252...Really not that great of a difference.

Marino averaged 15.75 interceptions a season to Favre's 19.3.

Marino's QB Rating: 86.38
Favre's QB Rating: 85.05

Very similar statistically.
i didnt know it was that close thanks for puttin them stats up there...i still think stand with my qb pick though

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:40 PM    (permalink
LionSmack
Veteran

LionSmack hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Sorry, my only bias on Farve is against how he plays careless way too often (even Packers fans have admitted it in this thread) and gets no criticism for it because he's a media darling. Read Dr. Z's comments on Farve sometime.

QB's I would put above Favre: Montana, Marino, Elway, Manning, Steve Young, Tom Brady. Jim Kelly, Bradshaw, and Troy Aikman would be right on a par with Favre. So that puts him somewhere from 7-10.
LionSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:44 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya View Post
This is a joke. When discussing Brady and Manning, Brady was automatically better because of rings. But the same discussion doesnt count with Marino?

Ill take Manning and Favre, over Mariono and Brady.
Way to contradict yourself.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:56 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Way to contradict yourself.
He was playing devil's advocate.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:08 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSmack View Post
Sorry, my only bias on Farve is against how he plays careless way too often (even Packers fans have admitted it in this thread) and gets no criticism for it because he's a media darling. Read Dr. Z's comments on Farve sometime.

QB's I would put above Favre: Montana, Marino, Elway, Manning, Steve Young, Tom Brady. Jim Kelly, Bradshaw, and Troy Aikman would be right on a par with Favre. So that puts him somewhere from 7-10.
TSN's top 50 QB's of all-time(Printed in '04 I believe) Had Favre at 7
1) Unitas
2) Montana
3) Otto Graham
4) Elway
5) Baugh
6) Marino
7) Favre
8) Bradshaw
9) Staubach
10) Starr
11/12/13) Young/Aikman/Tarkenton
I cant see how you can put Brady and Manning ahead of Favre, they havent got to the low point in their careers. And Young is iffy

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:25 PM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.

Quote:
you're assuming the packers will win two games next year.
You know what happens when you assume...

NOTHING
Old 04-10-2007, 06:37 PM    (permalink
GadoR'Savior
Rookie

Favre does make alot of careless mistakes but thats because he is very aggressive as a QB, and it does pay off alot for him. If Ron Wolfe wouldnt have left and let Sherman in as GM, his stats would be even better. Sherman did nothing for giving him weapons beside Walker. Sherman was such a bad drafter, and allowed the Packers to fall and make Favre force more stuff.

Marino shouldnt be seen as the 2nd best QB because he doesnt have a ring, the difference should be the stats. Farve wins i think because when he retires he will have almost all Marinos career records.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:57 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
you're assuming the packers will win two games next year.
Haven't you heard? They're a shoo-in for the Super Bowl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:19 PM    (permalink
Yung Flippa
Veteran

Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Brett Farve

Baltimore: 7-4
Yung Flippa is offline   Reply With Quote