Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:35 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
I think Mike Vick needs to string together one great season before we even talk about him as a top 10 QB in the game today. He is so far away from the Hall discussion right now, it's not even funny. He is an amazing athletic talent, but he hasn't put the numbers up there when it matters. It's not all his fault, but his being in the Hall will depend on actual numbers. His numbers right now are absolute crap.
He has had one great season. In '02, he was phenomenal. Obviously, he needs to reattain that level, and play at that level for four or five years in a row to be in the discussion. Along with a Super Bowl ring, and a M.V.P award.

He will, at the end of the day, be Atlanta's leading passer and runner. Which tells you a lot about the quality of the Atlanta Falcons franchise, before Arthur Blank took over.

Last edited by Shiver : 04-19-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:37 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Final thought on Alexander: I'm not saying he won't get into the Hall of Fame. I am simply saying that right now, his resume is a little lacking, and he needs to put together a few more seasons to lock it in. He was not on my list because of the injuries in 2006 and his consistently very good (but not great) work from 2000-2003 (half his career).

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:39 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
He has had one great season. In '02, he was phenomenal. Obviously, he needs to reattain that level and play at that level for four or five years to be in the discussion. He will, at the end of the day, be Atlanta's leading passer and runner. Which tells you a lot about the quality of the Atlanta Falcons franchise, before Arthur Blank took over.
Vick's 2002 season was interesting statistically. I wouldn't say it's a Hall-worthy season, but it speaks about the uniqueness of Vick in general. Regardless, 2002 is 5 years ago, Shiver. That's a looooooong time in the NFL. The fact that he hasn't put together any kind of follow-up is hurting his overall reputation. Unfortunately, I've been saying for 3 years that Vick is the most overrated player in the NFL. I like his style of play, and I hope he has success, but 1 good year 5 years ago doesn't mean squat to me.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 04-19-2007, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Overrated by whom? I don't think you could find any analysts, or anyone here, who has him as a current top-5 NFL QB.

Last edited by Shiver : 04-19-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:48 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

After 02, people were calling Vick a top 5 QB, when he never actually played the QB position. I never saw it like that. A lot of people tend to overrate his athleticism and underrate his deficiencies as a QB. I think the last 5 years have lessened Vick's stature, but he is still considered a star, which is weird to me because he doesn't usually put up star numbers.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can anyone tell me who the MVP of the 2002 season was?
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

2002 MVP was Kurt Warner
2003 MVP was Steve McNair.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
After 02, people were calling Vick a top 5 QB, when he never actually played the QB position. I never saw it like that. A lot of people tend to overrate his athleticism and underrate his deficiencies as a QB. I think the last 5 years have lessened Vick's stature, but he is still considered a star, which is weird to me because he doesn't usually put up star numbers.
You of all people should understand the short sighted manner in which people evaluate players. Tony Romo made the pro-bowl based off of one good month, for example. In '02, he was a top-5 NFL QB. Since then, his 'stats' have declined. Even so; he has still been decent as a overall player. Even setting a few NFL records. Obviously there has been debate as to why his passing stats since his first year as the starter have declined. I don't feel like getting into that one, beating that dead horse again.

I resent the statement that he wasn't playing the QB position, when if any other Quarterbacks attained a 3,000 yard, 2:1 TD/INT ratio, 13 Yards Per Completion, season they would have been noted for having a solid year. He led a mediocre team into the playoffs, with several notable come from behind efforts where he willed his team back in games, even winning on the road in Green Bay in the playoffs. Football Outsiders' metrics, he graded out as a top-10 passer, which when combined with his 777 yards rushing and eight touchdowns, made him a top-5 NFL QB in the '02 season. All the hype that came from that season, had merit. The hype has died down as of late, migrating to Vince Young.

What YFS was saying; what if Michael Vick become had four, or five great years in a row from here on out? I don't think anyone seriously thinks Michael Vick should be a serious contender for the hall of fame. He was just throwing out a hypothetical.

Last edited by Shiver : 04-19-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:15 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think rings mean a lot less to certain positions than others. LT's are workhorses. You look at the production of others around them to help measure their worth. To me, Hasselbeck and Alexander wouldn't be nearly as effective without Walter Jones sealing off the left side for them every play of every season. A ring would be nice, but I don't think it will hinder him.
Hasselbeck and Alexander even being mentioned in football discussions today is thanks to: (1) Mike Holmgren, one of the best coaches in his era; and (2) The Seahawks moved from the AFC West to the NFC West. They have no business whatsoever in a HOF thread.

Quote:
2002 MVP was Kurt Warner
2003 MVP was Steve McNair.
2002 MVP was Rich Gannon.
2003 MVP was shared by Peyton Manning and Steve McNair.
(Manning should won outright, but whatever.)

Bsaza, I notice your posts are often incorrect, at least of late. It doesn't hurt to check your facts before posting, especially as I like reading your posts.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:17 PM    (permalink
PapaBearHalas

Quote:
I think you have to consider that Alexander had Hutchinson and Jones to run behind, plus a very competent QB in Hasselbeck. For 2002 and 2003, what the heck did LT have in the form of an OLine, coaches, or QB play? Nothing. He put those numbers up in the tougher AFC in the very tough AFC West against 8 and 9 man fronts. LT is a better all around back than Alexander. It's just fact.
Very true.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hey Baza can I suggest adding Jason Taylor to the Lists? He should be next to Strahan. His numbers over his career are pretty sick. He is only behind big Mike in Sacks for active players and has a few years behind him to catch up. Not sure if he ever will but his numbers will put him into consideration for getting in (maybe not 1st ballot but eventually perhaps)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3968/career

There are his career numbers to consider :) 10 years 106 sacks, 610 tackles, 42 FF/INT, 7 Def TDs, 8 probowls, DPoY

I agree with you over Thomas, I think the only thing that hurts both of them has been the fact that their team overall has never gone to the AFC Championship/ Super Bowl. But that has been because our offenses have been horrid since Danny retired mainly and poor coaching. That and alot of Miami guys rarely get in. (I am curious how Richmond Webb will do, doubt he gets in, but he was dominating for 10+ years)

Figured toss JT out there to consider. Pretty good numbers for a DE.
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:18 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I actually looked up the MVP awards, and it said 2002 MVP was Kurt Warner. I think that was because it was the 2001 season, and the award was given in 2002. The site I looked on must have been in error. It was the first one I saw on Google. Thanks for finding the error.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:19 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That explains it.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:20 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsfan79 View Post
Hey Baza can I suggest adding Jason Taylor to the Lists? He should be next to Strahan. His numbers over his career are pretty sick. He is only behind big Mike in Sacks for active players and has a few years behind him to catch up. Not sure if he ever will but his numbers will put him into consideration for getting in (maybe not 1st ballot but eventually perhaps)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3968/career

There are his career numbers to consider :) 10 years 106 sacks, 610 tackles, 42 FF/INT, 7 Def TDs, 8 probowls, DPoY

I agree with you over Thomas, I think the only thing that hurts both of them has been the fact that their team overall has never gone to the AFC Championship/ Super Bowl. But that has been because our offenses have been horrid since Danny retired mainly and poor coaching. That and alot of Miami guys rarely get in. (I am curious how Richmond Webb will do, doubt he gets in, but he was dominating for 10+ years)

Figured toss JT out there to consider. Pretty good numbers for a DE.
Career numbers are actually very impressive. I could consider him on the "likely to make it" list, but not as a lock. Updated list coming soon.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:21 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
That explains it.
Yeah, I should know better than to just randomly google info. I'm really stupid sometimes.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:23 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Hasselbeck and Alexander even being mentioned in football discussions today is thanks to: (1) Mike Holmgren, one of the best coaches in his era; and (2) The Seahawks moved from the AFC West to the NFC West. They have no business whatsoever in a HOF thread.
To be fair, Alexander's overall numbers were quite decent while splitting time with Ricky Waters in the AFC West back in the day. He put up fine numbers before Walter Jones and before Hasselbeck really developed. Holmgren played a huge part with the scheme and design, but I'm not going to knock individual players for working under him. That's like saying that Favre's Super Bowl title is counterfeit because Holmgren was the coach...

Old 04-19-2007, 01:24 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
You of all people should understand the short sighted manner in which people evaluate players. Tony Romo made the pro-bowl based off of one good month, for example. In '02, he was a top-5 NFL QB. Since then, his 'stats' have declined. Even so; he has still been decent as a overall player. Even setting a few NFL records. Obviously there has been debate as to why his passing stats since his first year as the starter have declined. I don't feel like getting into that one, beating that dead horse again.

I resent the statement that he wasn't playing the QB position, when if any other Quarterbacks attained a 3,000 yard, 2:1 TD/INT ratio, 13 Yards Per Completion, season they would have been noted for having a solid year. He led a mediocre team into the playoffs, with several notable come from behind efforts where he willed his team back in games, even winning on the road in Green Bay in the playoffs. Football Outsiders' metrics, he graded out as a top-10 passer, which when combined with his 777 yards rushing and eight touchdowns, made him a top-5 NFL QB in the '02 season. All the hype that came from that season, had merit. The hype has died down as of late, migrating to Vince Young.

What YFS was saying; what if Michael Vick become had four, or five great years in a row from here on out? I don't think anyone seriously thinks Michael Vick should be a serious contender for the hall of fame. He was just throwing out a hypothetical.
I apologize for the unnecessary harshness. I overstepped my bounds there, and it was unfair. I didn't take the Vick suggestion as a hypothetical, which is why I reacted that way. No worries. When Vick has 4-5 great seasons in a row, you can say "I told you so"...

Old 04-19-2007, 01:30 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Updated List:

HOF locks:

Derrick Brooks
Ray Lewis
Brett Favre
Michael Strahan
Champ Bailey
Marvin Harrison
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Larry Allen

Players who will certainly get in when all is said and done:

Tony Gonzalez
LaDanian Tomlinson
Brian Urlacher
Warren Sapp
Walter Jones
Jonathan Ogden
Orlando Pace
Terrell Owens
Kevin Mawae
Jason Taylor

Questionable, but Quite Possible:

Randy Moss
Zach Thomas
Shawn Alexander
Alan Faneca

Old 04-19-2007, 01:32 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I added a "Questionable, But Possible" list to include the guys who are on their way, but not there yet. I didn't take a lot of time thinking about others for this list, so suggestions could be good.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Non_Sequitur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
I don't see how you can put Brian Urlacher on that list. He doesn't have close to the requirements needed for a HOF linebacker. Randy Moss has more business in the HOF right now than Brian Urlacher.

Also, guys like Zach Thomas, Kevin Mawae, and Walter Jones likely will never make it.

I don't see how Mawae doesn't make it. Any player with that many Pro Bowls and the reputation for being the best at his position in the game for half a decade makes it in.
Non_Sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:49 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I estimate Mawae was the best Center in the NFL by far for about 8 years, and I might be underselling it.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:49 PM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

that seems like a huge list... i wouldn't disagree with any of it, but it still seems long...

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:52 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I'm not calling for all of them to make the Hall right now or right after retirement, but eventually, all of them should be in. I figure this list is no longer than the actual list of players in from any period of time in modern NFL history.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I mentioned younger guys who have started out well as examples of why my list was so short. Thanks for completely missing the point...
No I understand your point, I just hate when people crown younger players who have a good season or two. I'm not saying you are or were, it just makes me mad when people do and I wasn't entirely sure what your point was exactly.
Bigburt63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:23 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

My note below the original list was to keep people from saying, "how can Shawne Merriman not be on your list. He's a god..." It was more of a disclaimer than anything. I was focusing on players with at least 7 years of service (a solid career).