Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Oakland Raiders Team Forum

Oakland Raiders Team Forum Discuss the Raiders

Old 04-19-2007, 09:49 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Raiders Talking To Johnson, Russell

Somebody over at the thenflforums found this on PFT, thought i'd post it in here too:

Quote:
POSTED 11:26 a.m. EDT, UPDATED 11:54 a.m. EDT, April 19, 2007

RAIDERS TALKING TO JOHNSON, RUSSELL

A league source tells us that the Oakland Raiders have begun preliminary contract negotiations with quarterback JaMarcus Russell and receiver Calvin Johnson.

Because the Raiders own the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, they are free to talk to any, some, or all of the potential draft picks about a contract, and are free to strike a deal.

Last year, the Texans negotiated with defensive end Mario Williams and running back Reggie Bush, reaching an agreement with Williams on the eve of the draft.

It is widely believed that the Raiders will pick either Russell or Johnson, unless they trade the selection. Some fear that the selection of Russell at No. 1 overall is a recipe for disaster, since the Raiders will be pressured to play Russell prematurely. If he is harassed in the pocket behind a bad line and loses confidence, he could end up in a funk from which he never recovers.

But it's also believed that Russell will be more likely to blink and do a bad deal, since if he's not picked No. 1 he might not be picked No. 2. Or No. 3. Or No. 4. Or No. 5. Or No. 6.

For Johnson, if he's not the No. 1 pick, he'll most likely be the No. 2.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Usually quarterbacks get a mark-up as Top 10 selections, if the Raiders can get a good deal out of Russell equatable to Johnson, great move by them.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.
Default hmmm

If the Raiders do sign CJ can they start negotiations to trade the pick/rights right afterwards? Or do they have to wait until the draft?

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:39 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hope they get a deal done soon for one of them since i wont be able to watch the 1st couple of rounds since i have a track meet. hope its CJ

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

RaiderNation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:41 PM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
hope they get a deal done soon for one of them since i wont be able to watch the 1st couple of rounds since i have a track meet. hope its CJ
Good luck!

gdamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:47 AM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would be cool to get a deal done with someone before the draft like the Texans did.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:10 PM    (permalink
661rep
Rookie

661rep hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN1984 View Post
It would be cool to get a deal done with someone before the draft like the Texans did.
Yeah it would be cool, but then the draft gets less interesting.
661rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That would totally suck the fun out of the draft. No anticipation for who we'll take #1 would just ruin my day (especially if they signed the guy I don't want).
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:47 PM    (permalink
NotoRussell
Rookie

NotoRussell hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

this move could possibly save us money and the player will not hold out in order to get a bigger contract.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:56 PM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post
That would totally suck the fun out of the draft. No anticipation for who we'll take #1 would just ruin my day (especially if they signed the guy I don't want).
why would we risk a holdout?
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:29 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post
You aren't in a constant state of anticipation right now?

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:38 AM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komp View Post
You aren't in a constant state of anticipation right now?
I am, what I was saying is if we got a deal done with a player before the draft like someone mentioned, then I wouldn't have as much to anticipate.
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:07 PM    (permalink
RaiderMike

I hate to disapoint all of you CJ Homers out there but Big AL is going to go aginist his normal treditiion and pick either Russell or Quinn. CJ will be a great player in the NFL but he is not a player the Raiders need right now.

THe WR touchs the ball at the most 10-15 times per game. The QB touchs the ball on every play and is much more imprtant to have a franchise QB than a Franchise WR. IF you do not have a franchise QB your WR won't produce to level that they should. You need a QB to be able to read defenses and have time to throw the ball to his WR's.

The Raiders Need to Take Russell or Quinn then in the 2nd and 3rd rounds
take Offensive line men. The Players that I would pick in the Second Justin*Blalock to Play RT or Ryan*Kalil. If I were drafting for the Raiders I would go with Justin Blaylock who IMO is more verstile. If the Raiders feel that Newberry is healthy then he is one of the best centers in the NFL. We also have Morris and and Grove so a center only is not nessary in round 2
thsi is not a rap in any way on Ryan Kalil. if we want to pick a Center we could wait until or picks 99 and 100 and Grab Doug Datish.

In Round 3 I would Take either OT Marshall Yanda or with 99 or 100 take Mike Otto both who can play Guard and OT and are projected to fit very well in the ZBS sytem that we are using.

If we Picked Blaylock and Yanda I could see our line looing like this;
RT BLaylock/Green RG Boothe/ Blaylock Center Newberry, LG Carlise/Yanda
LT Gallery Simms. I personaly do not see Simms making the team this year if we draft either Blalock or Yanda. I would use MCQ as a Swing Guard and Tackle. someone to fill when a olineman goes down.

In round 5 I would draft Chase Johnson OLT and put him on the Practice Squad to bulk upwith our 4 the round pick I would draft a DT/DE and with one of our 5th round picks I would Louis Lenoard DT Fresno and in the 6th I would Take DT Joe Anoai
Tha would fill our Dline and Oline andwe can look at Skill postions in Next years Draft
and grap a TE and WR if e need one.

If Mike Williams gets cut I would pick him up I would even trade a late round Pick for him. I kown he has not produced in MIke Martz's offensebut that is because Mike Martz favors small speedy recivers. I would use Williams as a 2 WR or a Slot Reciever both of wich he would excel at in olur new offense. Besides big AL likes to save reclaim players for oblivion.

Last edited by RaiderMike : 04-21-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:50 PM    (permalink
bucksavage
Rookie

bucksavage hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderMike View Post
I hate to disapoint all of you CJ Homers out there but Big AL is going to go aginist his normal treditiion and pick either Russell or Quinn. CJ will be a great player in the NFL but he is not a player the Raiders need right now.

THe WR touchs the ball at the most 10-15 times per game. The QB touchs the ball on every play and is much more imprtant to have a franchise QB than a Franchise WR. IF you do not have a franchise QB your WR won't produce to level that they should. You need a QB to be able to read defenses and have time to throw the ball to his WR's.

take Offensive line men. The Players that I would pick in the Second Justin*Blalock to Play RT or Ryan*Kalil. If I were drafting for the Raiders I would go with Justin Blaylock who IMO is more verstile. If the Raiders feel that Newberry is healthy then he is one of the best centers in the NFL. We also have Morris and and Grove so a center only is not nessary in round 2
thsi is not a rap in any way on Ryan Kalil. if we want to pick a Center we could wait until or picks 99 and 100 and Grab Doug Datish.

In Round 3 I would Take either OT Marshall Yanda or with 99 or 100 take Mike Otto both who can play Guard and OT and are projected to fit very well in the ZBS sytem that we are using.

LT Gallery Simms. I personaly do not see Simms making the team this year if we draft either Blalock or Yanda. I would use MCQ as a Swing Guard and Tackle. someone to fill when a olineman goes down.

In round 5 I would draft Chase Johnson OLT and put him on the Practice Squad to bulk upwith our 4 the round pick I would draft a DT/DE and with one of our 5th round picks I would Louis Lenoard DT Fresno and in the 6th I would Take DT Joe Anoai
Tha would fill our Dline and Oline andwe can look at Skill postions in Next years Draft

If Mike Williams gets cut I would pick him up I would even trade a late round Pick for him. I kown he has not produced in MIke Martz's offensebut that is because Mike Martz favors small speedy recivers. I would use Williams as a 2 WR or a Slot Reciever both of wich he would excel at in olur new offense. Besides big AL likes to save reclaim players for oblivion.

i agree except that we need to take a Defensive end with our 2nd or 3rd pick
Old 04-21-2007, 11:47 PM    (permalink
TRJ997
Rookie

TRJ997 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

Nice post Mike. I couldn't agree more with your JR/CJ analysis.
TRJ997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Default hmmm

I agree with your JR vs CJ pick analysis. I would definitely be going in different players with my later picks, but I agree with the top two picks and those are the most important.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Old 04-22-2007, 02:33 AM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
so just because QB is seen as a bigger need means Al will take a QB over CJ.

Quote:
Newberry is on a one year contract and has durability issues.Grove should be moved to a G position.We still have Treu though.C is a bigger need than G is.At G right now we have Carlisle,Boothe,McQuistan and either Treu or Grove.I would much sooner have Gallery or Sims at RT than Blalock.THe fact is that were ok with with the interior and theres not a OT worth the #33 pick.
Quote:
Why would Al take Mike Williams over CJ?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:56 AM    (permalink
RaiderMike

I'm not saying Al should take Mike Williams over CJ at all. AL could get Mike Williams who that I rate a good to very good player at a bargin basment price.

CJ I rate as a probowel level player but right now the Raiders need a feild general and face for the team as it rebilds we have two good to very good WR Moss and Porter we need someone to get them the ball and a few linemen to protect our QB.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Crow
Pro Bowler

Crow hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Mike Williams hasn't produced because he's lazy and immature. That's documented. It has nothing to do with Martz' system.

Also, saying that we have a "good WR" in Moss is just flat ignorant. Moss is the laziest, least motivated piece of trash in football. Neither Walter nor Brooks caused Moss to look like crap last year. He did that on his own.
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Crow
Pro Bowler

Crow hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I hate to disapoint all of you CJ Homers out there but Big AL is going to go aginist his normal treditiion and pick either Russell or Quinn.
Thank you, Dione Warwick.

Quote:
IF you do not have a franchise QB your WR won't produce to level that they should.
That's completely false. You don't need a "franchise QB" to win games or championships. You certainly don't need one to make your WRs effective.

Quote:
take Offensive line men.
So, you'd doom us to drafting 1st overall again next year, eh? Lovely. Well, at least we'll land McFadden.

Quote:
The Players that I would pick in the Second Justin*Blalock to Play RT or Ryan*Kalil. If I were drafting for the Raiders I would go with Justin Blaylock who IMO is more verstile.
If we were still using a man-blocking scheme, I'd be all for Blalock, but at guard. Since we're not, Blalock isn't going to be a great fit for us. If we're going to run this stretch & cut, we need quicker, more athletic linemen. Blalock would be a square peg.

Quote:
If the Raiders feel that Newberry is healthy then he is one of the best centers in the NFL. We also have Morris and and Grove so a center only is not nessary in round 2
As already stated, Newberry isn't here to take over center responsibilities for us. He may not even make it out of camp.

Grove may yet develop into a good center. But, as it stands, I like him a lot better at LG if we can bring in a center like Kalil...who already knows basically what we're trying to do offensively.

I'm still laughing at the idea that Chris Morris' presence would have any effect on our decision to draft a center or not.

Quote:
So...if we want a center, we should pass on Kalil in favor of a likely career back up? Wow.

Quote:
Otto...that early? Come on, now.

Either way, taking 2 OLs on day 1 would just be dumb. What are we going to do with them? Sims, Gallery, Grove, Carlisle, Boothe, and McQuistan aren't going anywhere. Treu likely isn't either. Slaughter is a questionable fit for this scheme, but he's earned his keep. And if Newberry sticks, we just don't have room for a pair of day 1 linemen. We need at least a year to figure out which of the guys we have is going to fit this new scheme and will be worth building around.

Quote:
Sims (Just one m) restructured his deal, meaning he's going to be a Raider this year. He's also a solid fit for this scheme at either tackle or guard.

Overall, that line you have there looks pretty suspect.

Quote:
In round 5 I would draft Chase Johnson OLT and put him on the Practice Squad to bulk up
You have to cut someone before you can put them on the practice squad. Maybe we should try drafting people who we think have a shot at making the roster, eh?

Quote:
with our 4 the round pick I would draft a DT/DE and with one of our 5th round picks I would Louis Lenoard DT Fresno and in the 6th I would Take DT Joe Anoai
Awful.

Quote:
If we signed Mike Williams, we'd be moving him to TE. He's simply not an NFL caliber WR.
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:07 PM    (permalink
RaiderMike

Crow, I was projecting Blaylock at RT not RG you are right that he would be a poor fit at guard but as a RT he would be a good fit IMO. I conceed that I picked Otto early more realistic 4th 5th but he is better than that. You Might call me a homer for Otto but to have another Otto on the Raiders would be cool.

As far as Chase Johnson I like the guy and with the players we have and the ones that I drafted I figured that Chase would not make the cut as he needs a year in a NFL strength and conditioning program then I think he will be a good swing OT back up but thats all you can realiticly expect from a late round pick. He might be able to start Anothoer player I like in the 5th is Zak DeOssie or Quincy Black for SAM I like our 2 Projected SAM's right now Williams and Bing we need to move Irons back to DL he does not cut it as a SAM.

AS far as Moss goes I argee with you that he is lazy but he can be very productive when he wants to be its the coachs job to motivate him to overcome his inate lazyness and bring out the quality player he can be.
You may be right on Williams being a Reciving TE I don't know if he can block.
I just happen to like him I don't really know why, I liked him in at USC mabye thats why. I really hate when someone with a lot of talent wastes it. Moss and Williams both fall into that catagory.

I like CJ but I just don't think we can Pass on a franchise QB at this time Realy good WR's come along every few years. IS CJ as Good as Tim Brown in his Prime or Steady Freddy in his Prime. CJ is faster than Freddy no doubt but can he run routes and catch the rock as good as Freddy in his Prime?
I can also think of a 1/2 a dozen Probowel WR's that are as good or better then CJ, if the coaching staff cannot say with 100% certiney that he is better then them The Raiders Need to Take Russell or trade down and draft Quinn. If you could guarntee to me that we could Draft Brian Bhrom Next year I would take CJ in a Heart beat but Atlanta is going to go after him with a vengence next year you can take that to the bank.