Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:08 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default My Mock

It has been a while since I have made one of these baddies, but I have been thinking about it lately, and I think that, Jamaal Anderson has a very good chance of falling to us at pick #15. If not, then we should go Darrell Revis...

Anyways,I decided to do one assuming Anderson is picked before 15.

A little trade I was thinking of... I heard the Bengals were seriously interested in Jon Beason, as were the Gaints... So here it is... we swap firsts with the Giants, and we get their 3rd (sounds almost familiar). The Bengals have been rumored to also be looking at Revis, but I have a feeling that Hall, Nelson and Revis will fall past 15, and Cinci ends up picking Hall / Nelson.

Rd. 1, #20 Darrell Revis CB, Pitt. - I am not a huge fan of taking a corner in the first round, but the position does need to be upgraded, and Revis is the best value here for corners. The guy is one the tallest out of the first round corners, and between him and Ross it is a toss up between, in my opinion, the best corner in the the draft. He is younger than Ross, and has more playing time experience, Ultimately I think Revis becomes the best corner out of the group.

Rd. 2, # 46 Brian Leonard RB Rutgers - I was going back and forth between him, David Harris, and Anthony Gonzalez/ Craig Davis. But it really just came down to the fact that Leonard gives us a lot of versatility on offense, not to mention he is a real upstanding guy. He allows us to cut Kreider, (next year most likely), and is an excellent fit into our offense which has adapted to more of a spread.

Rd. 3 # 77 Tim Shaw LB PSU- Really like the guy, and this seems like a good time to select him as others will most likely jump at him around this point (Cinci, Jets, Saints off the top of my head). The guy is full of athletic ability, is a natural pass rusher, and is just a stand up person.

Rd 3 # 81 Jacoby Jones WR Lane - Good size, good hands, decent speed, could be a good replacement for Ward in a couple years, but now can challenge Washington and Wilson for the # 3 and 4 spot.

Rd 4 # 119 Zak Deossie LB Brown - Great size for a LB, incredibly smart, can fit into either a 3 - 4 or a 4-3 scheme. Will have to sit a year or two behind Farrior, which is perfect as he can get caught up to game speed.

Rd 4 #132 Ryan McBean DT Oak. St. - Good athlete for his size, is not very big right now, but definetly has the frame to get larger, can play DT in the 4 -3 or DE in the 3 - 4.

Rd 5 # 156 Andy Alleman OG Akron - Raw but has a lot of upside, we have a few guys in front of him on the depth chart, but can potentially develop into a solid starter a few years down the line.

Rd 5 # 170 Dallas Sartz OLB USC - Tall, kind of a wiry guy who plays every play at 100%. Can be a great special teamer, and after a couple years of bulking up could potentially be a solid starter / backup.

Rd 6 # 192 Adam Podlesh P UMD - I was heartbroken when i saw the Steelers brought in Sped., but I am still hoping the Steelers grab him.

Rd 7 # 227 Jonny Harline TE BYU - Isn't very fast, strong, quick, or big, BUT, he has a great football IQ and has great hands. He knows how to get separation despite his physical limitations.

This Draft isn't dependent on the trade, without it we lose probably Shaw... though I would rather not draft Dallas and just bump everyone up until then a slot down, and hope they are still there.
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:30 PM    (permalink
JayA55
Rookie

JayA55 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If this happened in real life I'd like it, I give it an A-. My only complaint is that it lacks an elite pass rusher. Tim Shaw I like, but not as our main threat there. BPA OLB in the 2nd then RB in the 3rd would have filled the need a bit better IMO, but I like it.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:36 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

eh the only problem i have is CB in the first. even though i don't know who i would grab there other than a CB. this year is really hard to tell who goes between like 14-32. everything else is greatness.

by the way Jay, i love your sig. you both get + rep when i can hand out some.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:37 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

True there isnt a premier pass rusher here, but I was thinking Harrison and Haggans are both under 30 and have a couple more years left. Harrison especially has a lot of potential.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:42 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletowel39 View Post
eh the only problem i have is CB in the first. even though i don't know who i would grab there other than a CB. this year is really hard to tell who goes between like 14-32. everything else is greatness.

by the way Jay, i love your sig. you both get + rep when i can hand out some.
my thoughts were just that we need a corner, and honestly after rounds 1 and 2 there really aren't many guys i see as an upgrade to what we have, whereas this draft seems pretty rich in LB's and WR's (which are our other two options in rd 1)
Old 04-20-2007, 06:46 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
my thoughts were just that we need a corner, and honestly after rounds 1 and 2 there really aren't many guys i see as an upgrade to what we have, whereas this draft seems pretty rich in LB's and WR's (which are our other two options in rd 1)
yea i agree, i still don't like it though. it is our best option maybe. but i still, something about it. it also might be Revis. Ross = Haus. it rhymes and everything.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:49 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
yea i agree, i still don't like it though. it is our best option maybe. but i still, something about it. it also might be Revis. Ross = Haus. it rhymes and everything.
oh i love ross... actually more than revis, but the fact that hes 25 kinda turns me off a bit
Old 04-20-2007, 06:54 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

Quote:
oh i love ross... actually more than revis, but the fact that hes 25 kinda turns me off a bit
yea i agree that is kinda a turn off but incase Reid doesn't work out in the return game like santonio didn't work out, ross is a great returner as well. i don't know if that does anything to help edge out Revis but yea.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:01 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
yea i agree that is kinda a turn off but incase Reid doesn't work out in the return game like santonio didn't work out, ross is a great returner as well. i don't know if that does anything to help edge out Revis but yea.
they are about equals in the return game, honestly they are my #1 and 2, ross then revis, if they were both 21 then id pick ross over revis, but the fact that hes halfway to 30 really sucks, especially for a corner
Old 04-20-2007, 10:02 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Do the Steelers really need a CB with Taylor, Mcfadden, Townsend and Coclough all on the roster?
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:13 PM    (permalink
S4L
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
Do the Steelers really need a CB with Taylor, Mcfadden, Townsend and Coclough all on the roster?
Yes, because we have had a lot of secondary struggles.

To put it bluntly, Townsend has lost a step and will only be a capable backup for a few more years. Colclough hasn't shown that he can be a solid starter. Taylor struggled mightily in 2006.

McFadden is the only real starter, and I see him more as a #2. So we either need a #1/#2 guy like Hall or Revis in round one, or depth in a later round.

Xbox Live Gamertag: DocSteel92
Rest in peace, Randy Pausch.
S4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:54 PM    (permalink
JayA55
Rookie

JayA55 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
Yes and no. Personally I don't have much confidence in either Townsend or Ricardo. However Ike Taylor and B-Mac have the potential to become pretty good, despite their down year last season, which part of that was due to a lack of pass rush up front. I think if we can put B-Mac in the nickel and let Ike and Revis battle the starting spot out I think we'll have one heck of a secondary. Which we certainly need being that we face Chad Johnson, TJ Housh, and Chris Henry. A lot of the teams we face are star studded at WR also, and come playoff time you have to worry about the guys in Indy. So, personally I think landing a guy like Revis is still worth it, especially considering that we can land guys like Woodley, Spencer, etc in the 2nd round. I think if we go that route this D is going to be just as good as it has ever been. Either way we have a lot of options, I don't think OLB, OG, or DB can be ruled out for our #15.

btw thx TT
Old 04-21-2007, 12:07 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayA55 View Post
Yes and no. Personally I don't have much confidence in either Townsend or Ricardo. However Ike Taylor and B-Mac have the potential to become pretty good, despite their down year last season, which part of that was due to a lack of pass rush up front. I think if we can put B-Mac in the nickel and let Ike and Revis battle the starting spot out I think we'll have one heck of a secondary. Which we certainly need being that we face Chad Johnson, TJ Housh, and Chris Henry. A lot of the teams we face are star studded at WR also, and come playoff time you have to worry about the guys in Indy. So, personally I think landing a guy like Revis is still worth it, especially considering that we can land guys like Woodley, Spencer, etc in the 2nd round. I think if we go that route this D is going to be just as good as it has ever been. Either way we have a lot of options, I don't think OLB, OG, or DB can be ruled out for our #15.

btw thx TT
yeah my thoughts were that there were more than capable guys to play OLB for us later in the draft, (and we usually go this route, ala porter, haggans, harrison, etc.) but at #15 there are no guards worth that, and no tackles im in love with either at 15...

process of elimination i arrived at corner, which may not be our biggest need, but is the best value
Old 04-21-2007, 01:00 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
yeah my thoughts were that there were more than capable guys to play OLB for us later in the draft, (and we usually go this route, ala porter, haggans, harrison, etc.) but at #15 there are no guards worth that, and no tackles im in love with either at 15...

process of elimination i arrived at corner, which may not be our biggest need, but is the best value
Don't Forget Joe Staley... if he makes it to 15.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote