Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:07 PM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Barry Sanders - Regular Season

Tom Brady - Post Season

or Sedrick Irvin

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:07 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Deacon Jones

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"
freebirdsrams02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:08 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Can't be Deion. We're talking about greatest ever here. The guy has to be an all around player. For all of Deion's ability he couldn't tackle for his life, and offered no run support.
I guess I was talking about greatest athlete of all time...because I was thinking Deion and Bo Jackson.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:18 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Chad Pennington, easy.

I can't even say one, because it's too hard for me to compare offense and defense. Then, even if I *did* seperate offense and defense, there have been so many great players, that it would be hard enough to do a general top 5, nevermind *best*.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jerry Rice or Jim Brown for sure which one I can't make up my mind.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hell this discussion is getting boring. Let's spice things up a little.

Best ever? Peyton Manning.

that should get things started.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:24 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

These Viking fans really do like God...i mean Brett Favre

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:31 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Im gonna play devil's advocate here and try to say some negatives about Rice.

While he was in my mind the undisputed best WR ever, he was also an extremely fortunate WR his entire career.

He played in the WCO his whole career, which gives him the oppurtunity at more catches and YAC compared to other systems.

He's had great quarterbacks throw him the ball everywhere he went.

He was properly utilized since day one.

Not all great WRs can say the same thing. Would Rice be Rice if he was in Air Coryell his whole career?

Would he be the same player if he had Trent Dilfer throwing him the ball?

So while he was a great talent, let's not forget, that he was also a very fortunate player to have been in the right situation since the day he stepped on the field.
It's tough to say these things without being vilified by your peers. So props for that. I agree. It's definitely tough to minimize Rice's unmatched achievements as an NFL WR, but what you're saying is true. Who's to say that Tim Brown or Andre Reed wouldn't have posted similar numbers had they been in the same situation. Or what would have become of Sterling Sharpe had he survived to be paired with Brett Favre and those packer teams. It's really tough to quantify just how great NFL players are due to the nature of the game. The ultimate team game. Nobody accomplishes anything by themselves in the NFL. Often times, great achievements by a single player are seen as such by fans, when in actuality it was a combined effort that wouldn't have been as great without a certain number of stars aligning. Whether it be a particular system, the players around him, or both- Rice certainly hit the jackpot on all fronts. Those boosters magnified his tremendous work ethic and ability to the point where he is talked about as perhaps the greatest player ever. It takes a great deal of insight and imagination to come up with an accurate view of just how great a single football player is. It's much easier to evaluate teams as a whole. This topic is a lot easier when speaking of baseball or basketball players.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:39 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not to knock the greatness that is Barry Sanders, but he had a fatal flaw. The same thing that made him so great. His running style. He would get caught for a 3 yard loss far too often due to his backfield dancing. It would result in a 50 yard touchdown quite often, but he was very inconsistent. It's tough to go on a winning streak when your back is constantly putting you in 2nd or 3rd and long situations. Was he the most exciting RB ever? Of course. But his style wasn't conducive to winning on a consistent basis. And no, it wasn't just his OL's fault. Barry was a very difficult back to block for to say the least.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:55 PM    (permalink
bethemooseman3

Bes Ever: Johnny Unitas. Pound for pound, the toughest to ever play the game of football.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:58 PM    (permalink
EvilMonkey
Veteran

EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Offense - Jim Brown

Defense - Reggie White
EvilMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:59 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jay Cutler. No doubt in my mind.

Jim Brown.

EDIT: I'll elaborate. I think when you compare players from different eras, you have to go byhow dominant they were in their era. For instance, Mean Joe Greene would have the average size of a defensive end these days. I really doubt he'd be a dominant presence at DT if he was that size now. Should that take away from his greatness? No, it should not. Anthony Munoz was 285 pounds, and there are DEs now bigger than that. Should that take away his greatness? No, not at all. Jim Brown was ahead of his time and played people who weren't near him athletically. Should that take away from his greatness? No, it should not. In a few decades, there might be a bunch of RBs who are 260+ and run 4.3s. Will that take away the greatness of Tomlinson and the rest of the current greats? No, it should not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Last edited by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) : 04-22-2007 at 03:04 PM.
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:04 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i have to say Jim Brown. the guy dominated the leauge from play one and retired at like 30. to have done everything he did in 8 years is amazing to me.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:11 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Yeah, Jim Brown was definitely a man among boys. I doubt that'll ever happen again. Too many freakish athletes maxing out their physical potential through use of advanced technology. You guys all know the old argument.....if we had a star trek transporter-ma-jiggy.......
Old 04-22-2007, 03:12 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
EDIT: I'll elaborate. I think when you compare players from different eras, you have to go byhow dominant they were in their era. For instance, Mean Joe Greene would have the average size of a defensive end these days. I really doubt he'd be a dominant presence at DT if he was that size now. Should that take away from his greatness? No, it should not. Anthony Munoz was 285 pounds, and there are DEs now bigger than that. Should that take away his greatness? No, not at all. Jim Brown was ahead of his time and played people who weren't near him athletically. Should that take away from his greatness? No, it should not. In a few decades, there might be a bunch of RBs who are 260+ and run 4.3s. Will that take away the greatness of Tomlinson and the rest of the current greats? No, it should not.
Yeah, I agree with that. Well said.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:13 PM    (permalink
boisefan
Rookie

boisefan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Jerry Rice, or Art Monk.

Art is never talked about, but he had a great career, IMO he is in the top 10.
boisefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:15 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan View Post
Jerry Rice, or Art Monk.

You sure about that? I think most would tell you that he wasn't even the best player on his team. Ever. And some will tell you that he was only their 2nd best WR, or that it was a push. Hmm.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:17 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan View Post
Jerry Rice, or Art Monk.

I think Art Monk's lack of induction to the HOF is making him overrated. This is a good example.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:19 PM    (permalink
boisefan
Rookie

boisefan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
You sure about that? I think most would tell you that he wasn't even the best player on his team. Ever. And some will tell you that he was only their 2nd best WR, or that it was a push. Hmm.
Im saying Jerry Rice.

Art was great, and there isn't a huge list of negatives you can say about him either.

Art isn't the best, he is just the player that had a great career, made plays, and doesn't recieve the credit that others do.
boisefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:21 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barry Sanders

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:33 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
Seriously, I'll say Brett Favre. He is everything a football player should be.
And i'll agree with you.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
sodar21
Veteran

sodar21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Barry Sanders.
sodar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Not to knock the greatness that is Barry Sanders, but he had a fatal flaw. The same thing that made him so great. His running style. He would get caught for a 3 yard loss far too often due to his backfield dancing. It would result in a 50 yard touchdown quite often, but he was very inconsistent. It's tough to go on a winning streak when your back is constantly putting you in 2nd or 3rd and long situations. Was he the most exciting RB ever? Of course. But his style wasn't conducive to winning on a consistent basis. And no, it wasn't just his OL's fault. Barry was a very difficult back to block for to say the least.
Thank you. While Barry was great, his lack of vision and his adlib style was counter productive. So many people fail to see that.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:59 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh, and for the record.

Moses didn't split the sea.

LT just sacked it real hard, and all the water went away.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This thread is just a massive bias rant.

But for me it's Johnny U.
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote