Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:10 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Alex Smith the QB

Its only his 2nd season and its a horrible team but is Alex Smith a dud or is he just going thru the normal growing pains? Help cause I'm starting to be worried

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

It's way too early to tell. After this year, it will be still too early. Give him to at least the end of next year.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The next Ryan Leaf? I don't think so.

Smith, although he has taken a beating, seems to have a good attitude and the Niners are dedicated to building an offense he can run. He's smart enough to figure it out. What you guys might have is the next David Carr, and unless Nolan can erect a solid offense around Smith to support him, it may be a long while before we can see what he can really do.

Leaf failed because he had a terrible attititude and couldn't stand the magnifying glass being put on him. Sure, he struggled early on, but I have a hard time believing that if he had the right attitude he wouldn't have become a solid starter.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Speaking of Ryan Leaf, let's relive the day he jumped the shark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMe0Rz1frdE
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:22 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Smith seems to have the work ethic, dedication, team mentality to survive but this team stinks on both sides of the ball. He's going to have another tough year and will probably have a tough time next year too. Maybe David Carr might be the best example. For him to survive I dont think they can soley rebuild thru the draft they need to go after key FA when they are available. Is Branch a possibility ?

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Niners can build their skill positions well through the draft. What they need to do is build their defensive line through free agency. That would make a huge difference.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:02 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I know it's still way too early to decide yet but I think he is a bust. The guy is horrible what did he win one game?

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:06 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portermvp84
I know it's still way too early to decide yet but I think he is a bust. The guy is horrible what did he win one game?
Hey even Aikman only won one game his first year starting. It's way, way too early to tell yet. They should try to help him out and get an actually receiver that can play the two, Bryan Gilmore just wont cut it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:11 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yeah they need to get some soild Wr's besides AB. And a o line that can stay healthy

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Smith is statistically similar to Leaf, but I think he's got a better attitude, work ethic, and he's smarter. The intangibles is what seperates the two, and I think Alex Smith could use those strengths to become a good QB, that being said, I don't think he'll ever be a great QB. Average? Maybe. But not #1 pick-like.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:26 AM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

I think he is ok...I don't think he will ever live up to the #1 pick, but I think he will be solid. The Duke is gonna be a huge help to him.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:30 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarey20
I think he is ok...I don't think he will ever live up to the #1 pick, but I think he will be solid. The Duke is gonna be a huge help to him.
and next year calvin johnson will help alot too
Old 08-27-2006, 01:34 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He has a lot of talent around him this year, and has flashed production thus far. He is too smart and too talented to fail.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:03 AM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H.
Quote:
Hey even Aikman only won one game his first year starting. It's way, way too early to tell yet. They should try to help him out and get an actually receiver that can play the two, Bryan Gilmore just wont cut it.
Aikman and Smith in the same conversation... :o
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:53 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H.
Quote:
Aikman and Smith in the same conversation... :o
Just to prove that rookie season struggles on bad teams doesn't always spell bust for quarterbacks.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:57 AM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan
Smith seems to have the work ethic, dedication, team mentality to survive but this team stinks on both sides of the ball. He's going to have another tough year and will probably have a tough time next year too. Maybe David Carr might be the best example. For him to survive I dont think they can soley rebuild thru the draft they need to go after key FA when they are available. Is Branch a possibility ?
I pretty much agree with everything you said. The kid has the tools, as well as the mind to succeed, but it's gonna take time, and a gm to surround him with talent before he's able to showcase a lot of what they saw in him when they drafted him.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:33 AM    (permalink
kyle6

jury still out, way too early to tell give him another year or 2...
Old 08-27-2006, 12:39 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Too early to tell. He's got a better chance with Norv Turner as his coach. Norv's a lousy head coach, but he's a good OC and an even better QB coach.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too early to tell right now. Give him a year or two more and ask this question again.

BoneKrusher
Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:09 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen
Too early to tell right now. Give him a year or two more and ask this question again.
I agree, the QB position is the hardest to judge because it usually takes a player a couple years before you can tell if he's going to be good or bad.

Peyton Manning wasn't good his rookie year, and look where he ended up. It just takes time for a QB to develop because it's a totally different game in the NFL. Faster, new defensive looks, more athletic, quicker decisions, better accuracy, etc...

I think Alex with be a very good QB, he was dynamite against our first team defense in their first preseason game. But it'll take some time.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:12 PM    (permalink
S4L
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No. He is still young, and like everyone has said, he needs some weapons around him. Vernon Davis is a start.

At least Smith's got a good head on his shoulders, unlike Ryan Leaf.

Xbox Live Gamertag: DocSteel92
Rest in peace, Randy Pausch.
S4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:18 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers4Life
No. He is still young, and like everyone has said, he needs some weapons around him. Vernon Davis is a start.

At least Smith's got a good head on his shoulders, unlike Ryan Leaf.
Amen to that...Or Cade McNown....

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So far Alex Smith has looked pretty good in the pre-season. The only thing holding him back is the learning curve from Shotgun offense to NFL offense is substantial.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:36 PM    (permalink
energizerbunny
Veteran

energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

iam not sure you can even mention a 21 year old Quarterback being a bust.
energizerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:38 PM    (permalink

i think he'll become a good solid starter but nothing spectacular.