Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 08-27-2006, 01:46 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Is.....

My sister recently got into an arguement with a girl who plays soccer, that competitive cheerleading is not a sport. Now she has been doing competitive cheerleading for 2-3 years, and was getting pretty pissed at this girl.

Now if you dont know what competitive cheerleading is, it is like what they do in the movie Bring it On. They do tumbling, dance, lift 100+lb girls into the air ect.

This girls arguement was rather stupid, but here is her main points:
-No Refs in cheerleading
-Not a team sport, like soccer is

This girl didnt know what she was talking about, cause:
-Judges act as refs
-It is a team sport, 1 girl messes up, the whole squad takes a hit

Now I dont like cheerleading, but after a few years I have learned about it, especially since all 3 of my sisters are in it now. I also helped my sister in her arguement with this girl, and just marveled at her stupidity. I do consider it a sport though, so what do you all think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:49 AM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i have 2 sisters that are older then me and have been competition cheerleaders for like 10 years and i still dont consider it a sport...
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:51 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan43
i have 2 sisters that are older then me and have been competition cheerleaders for like 10 years and i still dont consider it a sport...
serious?
Idk, I think the work they put in, (my sisters do like 6 hours a week, almost all year), and that they compete makes it a sport

Quote:
Old 08-27-2006, 01:53 AM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess you could consider it a sport, but its never going to get a lot of national recognition. You hardly ever see it on T.V., but you have to tryout to make the team, you have to practice a lot, and there are competitions.

BoneKrusher
Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:56 AM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfan54
Quote:
serious?
Idk, I think the work they put in, (my sisters do like 6 hours a week, almost all year), and that they compete makes it a sport
yea it is a tough thing but its not a "sport"
Old 08-27-2006, 02:03 AM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A sport is a game as well. I don't consider cheerleading a game.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:09 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you go by the literal definition of the word "sport", then yes, cheerleading is a sport.
Not in my book though. To me, cheerleaders are an unnecessary annoyance. Just a sideshow of the real sport.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:12 AM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.

YES....

a spectating sport.

former #1 in post count on this site
first to 500 posts
TCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:59 AM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason
If you go by the literal definition of the word "sport", then yes, cheerleading is a sport.
Not in my book though. To me, cheerleaders are an unnecessary annoyance. Just a sideshow of the real sport.
were talking about competition cheerleading not the nfl cheerleaders...
Old 08-27-2006, 03:13 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
yeah, IMO if you consider gymnastics a sport, then cheerleading is a sport. Cause they do a lot of tumbling in it. And, how hard would it be to throw a 100+ lb girl 10-15 feet into the air multiple times......hard

Quote:
Old 08-27-2006, 03:30 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I consider it a sport and its probably more grueling on the body than soccer is. Most of the girls that I knew that are cheerleaders say that their knees and ankles arent in the best of shape from doing all of those tumbles. They practice a lot to get a routine down and the simplest of mistakes can mess it up for them. They also have to stay in great shape because its like what that guy says on Bring It On... In cheerleading we throw people into the air. And fat people don't go as high.
jayceheathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:56 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCU
YES....

a spectating sport.
If people pay money to watch people do it live, and it isn't illegal, it is a sport.

I realize I just said that stripping is a sport.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:59 AM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, it's definitely a sport. Like others have said, it takes hard work/practice to become good and they compete against other cheerleaders in competitions. Not bad for spectating either.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:49 AM    (permalink
Titans10
Veteran

Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No. If there are judges, its not a sport. You dont get judged on performance in the NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA, Nascar, either you win or you lose. If there is judging involved to determine a winner than its not a sport, its a competition.

All-hail Bulluck
Titans10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:35 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans10
No. If there are judges, its not a sport. You dont get judged on performance in the NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA, Nascar, either you win or you lose. If there is judging involved to determine a winner than its not a sport, its a competition.
As much as I dont like golf, its still considered a sport. Now I believe they have no refs......

Quote:
Old 08-27-2006, 08:19 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Right. No difference. NFL cheerleaders compete as well. What makes you think I was referring to NFL cheerleaders anyway? Fact is, cheerleaders are an aside to a real sport. They cheer for a particular team. They don't score points, there is no goal in their "sport" other than to look skanky and not screw up. If cheerleading is a sport, then so is being a mascot. Beauty Pageants are more of a sport than cheerleading. Just because you get tossed in the air so everyone can see up your skirt, and you do a bunch of leg kicks for the same reason, doesn't change the fact that you're still just a sideshow. If cheerleading is a sport, then college marching bands are on the same level.

But, like I said, if you just go by the literal definition of the word, cheerleading (along with many other activities) is a sport.
.....Just not in the same way that a game like football is. Not in the way most people think of "sports".
Old 08-27-2006, 08:30 AM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

2. A particular form of this activity.

An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

it is a sport and there is no two ways about it so all you who voted no are wrong
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:39 AM    (permalink
Canadian_kid16
All-Pro

Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can gets college scholarships for cheerleading...but I'd say its a competition

Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
A fan of the USF Bulls
Canadian_kid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:27 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

when they are cheering on the football team - no
when they are travling places competed for a placement - yes
Old 08-27-2006, 09:40 AM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans10
so you dont think gymnastics, ice skating and a ton of olympic sports are sports?
Old 08-27-2006, 10:27 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not at my school. Our cheerleaders and fat and ugly and terrible. Explain to me how a top 5 team in the state has 6 bad cheerleaders.

And TCU, as far as it being a spectating sport, at my school, that is girls volleyball, which may be the best sport ever.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:40 AM    (permalink
Eaglez.Fan
All-Pro

Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are only 6 REAL sports-

Football
Baseball
Basketball
Hockey
Soccer
Tennis
Old 08-27-2006, 10:43 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglez.Fan
There are only 6 REAL sports-

Football
Baseball
Basketball
Hockey
Soccer
Tennis
And girls volleyball.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, I would say that it is a sport. But not at my school. There is a reason why the squad at my school is secretly known as the second team offensive line.... :?
Old 08-27-2006, 11:26 AM    (permalink
turninandburnin1
Rookie

turninandburnin1 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i guess it is. But the cheerleaders at our high school do the same damn dance at every pep rally and game so I see no talent becuz as many times as I've seen it done I could do it too.