Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Who deserves a title shot more?
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson 12 30.77%
Lyoto "Dragon" Machida 27 69.23%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2008, 12:29 AM    (permalink
cordscords
Rookie

cordscords hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillie26 View Post
Did anyone but me find the point deduction and stoppage in the Lesnar - Mir fight a bit odd?

No warning and a quick point deduction. If the fighter had even been hurt from a shot to the back of the head, his equilibrium would be totally off and no way he could continue that quickly.

Then the stoppage when the fighter tapped 8 times before Mazzagatti even decided to jump in, when the fighter was tapping about 2 feet directly in front of him.

Mazzagatti was acting like he was clueless out there.
Completely agree. Did not like the reffing in that fight.

*SPOILERS BELOW*

Lesnar looked like he was going to finish Frank early....then the inexperience showed up. He swept Mir's legs and took him down 5 seconds into the fight. He started pounding away landing some hard clean shots, but got a point deducted for a hit to the back of the head (which I thought was a BS call). They stand them both back up, and Lesnar drops Mir with a nasty right hook. He goes back to the ground and pound landing more good shots. Lesnar got a little over confident and put some space between him and Mir so he could try to finish him. His leg was free and Mir grabbed onto it, turned Lesnar over, and get him to tap out with the legbar.

Definitley a lot of potential in Brock, and I think he will become a star with more fights under his belt.
----------

Sylvia was outstriking him and avoided the takedown for 2 rounds, then Nog finally took him down and got him to tap. Very impressive. He showed a lot of heart.
cordscords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:47 AM    (permalink
bwillie26
Veteran

bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.

How exactly does talking about something that has already happened qualify as a spoiler?

In any case, Lesnar was a little baby in tapping. The knee bar was not that deep in. All he had to do is take his foot, put it on Mir's butt and push himself out of the knee bar attempt. I'm guessing he was not well schooled enough to know this, though.

The point deduction was just plain stupid. No warning and it may have been 20-30 seconds into the first round. Lesnar is raining down punches on Mir and looks like it could be coming to a stop, but Mazzagatti not only steps in, but takes a point. Just plain weird.

Lesnar may have only lasted 1:30 or so, but it was pretty obvious that if he becomes taught well in BJJ defense, he could become an outstanding heavyweight in a year or two. Mir was just a horrible matchup for his skills he has right now. I just hope Lesnar keeps at it like he said, because he has endless potential in this sport if he continues to work.

And Nog .. that has to be the biggest snake in the grass I have ever seen. Sylvia said it best "the guy always gets his a** kicked for a couple rounds, then he pulls out a submission and thats why he's one of the best in the world." Sylvia was just picking him apart and should have ended this fight easily in the 1st round when he dropped Nog. But somehow Nog withstands the fury and gets him two rounds later.

I have to say, that submission made my night. I've met Sylvia before and in 10 minutes of knowing him, I have to say no one has ever ticked me off as much as he did. He better be glad he is a giant and could kick my butt in 30 seconds, otherwise he would be in for a hurtin'! :)
Old 02-03-2008, 12:49 AM    (permalink
cordscords
Rookie

Quote:
How exactly does talking about something that has already happened qualify as a spoiler?
Because I could still spoil it for someone who didnt order the PPV.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:52 AM    (permalink
Rich Jr
Veteran

Rich Jr smells like sex panther.Rich Jr smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordscords View Post
If I didn't order it on PPV, which I didn't, i'd come here to find out what happened.
Rich Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:00 AM    (permalink
bwillie26
Veteran

bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Well then they would be looking for the results somewhere, so why not post them as they happen in this thread as they happen?
Old 02-03-2008, 01:27 AM    (permalink
cordscords
Rookie

Just playing it on the cautious side. The thread title itself says no spoilers, so I decided to give a heads up before my response. It's quite possible somebody could click on the thread thinking UFC 81 was next week. Instead of talking about how they are looking forward to the event they get the card spoiled for them.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:57 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If it has yet to happen then it would be an opinion and not a spoiler. You cant spoil it for somebody if it hasnt happened yet.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:06 AM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Just playing it on the cautious side. The thread title itself says no spoilers, so I decided to give a heads up before my response. It's quite possible somebody could click on the thread thinking UFC 81 was next week. Instead of talking about how they are looking forward to the event they get the card spoiled for them.
it says no spoiler because a couple of the matches were shown a day/night early when they were overseas.

people in europe got to see the fight first.

it kind of sucks because we (people here in America) see the fight before the people in Europe but we're allowed to talk about it freely. :D
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:14 AM    (permalink
bwillie26
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
If it has yet to happen then it would be an opinion and not a spoiler. You cant spoil it for somebody if it hasnt happened yet.
Captain Obvious saves the day!
Old 02-03-2008, 03:17 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Captain Obvious saves the day!
You asked the question, I just answered it.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

that deduction on Lesnar was BS, he was in the middle of hammer fists to the face and if someone wants to give up their back you are gonna get hit in the head, he couldnt stop it. I think Lesnar is going to be a monster, send any MMA begining out against Mir and they will probably get submitted. I say he has the belt by 2009.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:28 AM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
that deduction on Lesnar was BS, he was in the middle of hammer fists to the face and if someone wants to give up their back you are gonna get hit in the head, he couldnt stop it. I think Lesnar is going to be a monster, send any MMA begining out against Mir and they will probably get submitted. I say he has the belt by 2009.
That's what I was trying to get across when I made my prediction, I haven't seen the fight yet (monday, it clashes with the SB tonight so recorded) but I figured it would be Mir via sub.

Anyway I went 7-2 with my predictions, so I'm pretty pleased.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:40 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

UKfan, both fights are already available on the Internet.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Man_Of_Steel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Man that was a great ppv, all fights were awesome.
Man_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.

Brock Lesnar has some chicken legs..... He needs to learn more about submissive moves, even if its just how to defend against them.
Cashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:06 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sylvia vs Nog
http://www.mmatko.com/tim-sylvia-vs-...-video-ufc-81/

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:32 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I caught the last three fights after hockey yesterday. Picked before each fight started, had Boetsch, Mir, and Sylvia.

Heath didn't do a whole lot, some decent boxing but was dominated in the clinch and then Boetsch got that big throw
Nothing too surprising about how the last two fights went. I picked Sylvia but I can't be upset that he lost.
That's pretty much exactly what I expected to see from Lesnar. The point deduction was definitely lame, have to agree with you guys there.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:50 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
UKfan, both fights are already available on the Internet.
I've seen them around, but I don't mind waiting to see them tomorrow, I was trying to avoid the results altogether but I read them by accident on CBS. Just better quality on tv :D Thanks anyway.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:23 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BTW, that ankle lock that Mir applied on Lesnar is VERY painful.

I've recently started practicing Judo and I can tell you ankle locks are more painful then armbars.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:50 PM    (permalink
bwillie26
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
BTW, that ankle lock that Mir applied on Lesnar is VERY painful.

I've recently started practicing Judo and I can tell you ankle locks are more painful then armbars.
Ankle locks are painful given the right leverage on the foot, which wasn't the case last night. It was applied, but certainly not one of those deep ankle locks you have to tap because your ankle is about 2 seconds from being snapped.

As I said, Lesnar just needed to take his off foot, put it on Mir's butt and push. His leg would have popped right out and the match would've continued, but probably with his ankle a bit sore.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:55 PM    (permalink
ccB
All-NFLDC

ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
I disagree, I can clearly see why Mazzagatti stood them up and took the point away. Brock was throwing so furiously that he didn't care where he was landing or what he was hitting, by the time Mazzagatti could do anything Mir had taken more than 1 clean hard shots to the back of the head and Mir was cleary dazed. At that point what is Mazzagatti to do? Warn him? the fight will be over after he says stop hitting the back of the head. So Stevey boy made a judgment call and stepped in to save Mir from being KO-ed by hammer fists to the back of the head, which was completely fair. I think there'd be far more controversy had Brock ended the fight by TKO-ing Frank with punches to the back of the head than there was for him standing them up and taking away a point. I am not positive but there may be a rule insisting on taking a point away if you stand up a fighter for that reason.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:58 PM    (permalink
ccB
All-NFLDC

ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ankle locks are painful given the right leverage on the foot, which wasn't the case last night. It was applied, but certainly not one of those deep ankle locks you have to tap because your ankle is about 2 seconds from being snapped.

As I said, Lesnar just needed to take his off foot, put it on Mir's butt and push. His leg would have popped right out and the match would've continued, but probably with his ankle a bit sore.
Frank spent time training submissions with wooden dowels to simulate breaking Brocks bones via submission. This on top of his past track record for bone breaking (SEE: Tim Sylvia) I think Brock was smart to tap.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CCBG, Mazzigatti did warn about head strikes in previous fights, if person turns there back in the middle of hammer fists the top man cant stop mid strike, he only got 1 shot on Mir head.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

http://www.mmafightline.com/news/200...c_315355.shtml

CC may leave the UFC
Old 02-04-2008, 04:47 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I hope Cro Cop decides to stay.

I want to see him vs. Big Nog again, although I know he'll need to prove himself before he gets a title shot.