Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Who deserves a title shot more?
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson 12 30.77%
Lyoto "Dragon" Machida 27 69.23%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2011, 03:54 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The tournament Quarters are on two different cards. The Fedor/Silva and Arlovski/Kharitonov fights are in February the other two fights haven't been announced yet.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really didn't think that Strikeforce was ever going to have a HW tournament. Their HW division is so messed up that getting their top guys to fight in a tourney seemed like it was impossible. The way the bracket is set up it's just the matches we should have got vs. other heavys looking for redemption of some kind. Arlovski, Sergei, Rogers, and Barnett aren't really relevant, so it's basically them fighting for a title shot while Fedor, Bigfoot, and Werdum determine if Overeem keeps the belt or not.

It's better than nothing, so I'm not going to complain. With my boy Cain being out for a while, it'll give the heavyweight division some interesting action.

Edit: That's if M-1 doesn't screw things up by renegotiating again if Fedor beats Bigfoot.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:33 PM    (permalink
SwagU
Veteran

SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

UFC 129 in my hometown of Toronto is looking awesome:

Rumoured UFC 129 Card

UFC Welterweight Title Fight - Georges St-Pierre vs. Jake Shields

Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida

Mark Bocek vs. Ben Henderson

Jonathan Brookins vs. John Makdessi

Rory MacDonald vs. James Wilks

There are also rumours floating around of wanting to put another title on the line at the event, possibly Maynard VS. Edgar 3. Can't wait until April 30th!!!!
SwagU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:42 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I really didn't think that Strikeforce was ever going to have a HW tournament. Their HW division is so messed up that getting their top guys to fight in a tourney seemed like it was impossible. The way the bracket is set up it's just the matches we should have got vs. other heavys looking for redemption of some kind. Arlovski, Sergei, Rogers, and Barnett aren't really relevant, so it's basically them fighting for a title shot while Fedor, Bigfoot, and Werdum determine if Overeem keeps the belt or not.

It's better than nothing, so I'm not going to complain. With my boy Cain being out for a while, it'll give the heavyweight division some interesting action.

Edit: That's if M-1 doesn't screw things up by renegotiating again if Fedor beats Bigfoot.
Barnett, Kharitonov, Arlovski, and Rogers should become relevant again because of this tourney. They're all legit. Barnett still might be the #2 HW in MMA skill wise... Kharitonov is always a threat, especially if he takes this US **** serious and gets in shape... These guys have just been inactive or fighting clowns around the world lately and not looking as impressive as they have in the past. This could remind people why the UFC's HW division was thought of as being so utterly weak until the last year or so...

And I love that Coker put the guys who have been relevant recently on the same side. That way we're not disappointed in the final match-up at the end of the tournament because so-and-so didn't get there due to losing or injury...

My dream for this tournament is for it to come down to Fedor v. Barnett. Finally.

Last edited by nepg : 01-05-2011 at 04:46 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:54 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel like Randy vs Machida is going to be extremely boring since Machida doesn't press. It will be a ton of cage clinching. It's going to be overlooked but the fight I am most excited for is the Bocek and Bendo fight. Most people don't realize it but Bocek has some of the best bjj in the UFC. Bendo though can't be submitted so it will be back and forth although standing Henderson has a big time advantage. Funny because I don't know if it was intentional but this card is a grappling fans wet dream. Every single fight from the GSP/Shields fight to the Brookins/Makdessi, Wilks/Mcdonald fights will be grappling wars.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:06 PM    (permalink
SwagU
Veteran

SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure about Couture VS Machida, I think the Rampage loss might have woken Machida up to press more.

Bocek's BJJ is insane. He actually taught a few classes at Xtreme Couture in Toronto. Learned so much from him. It's also goona be good to see how Bendo responds to his loss to Pettis in this one.

Really happy to see Brookins make his debut, and Rory come back from his injury/tough loss to Condit.

Might not be everyones type of card, but im really enthused about the card, especially if they put another title on the line.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:22 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gotta say I am pretty ******* pissed about this card. Dana was talking about it it like it was going to be the best card since 100. I would hope that they add another big time fight if they really do want to sell out the ******* Skydome.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:23 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Barnett, Kharitonov, Arlovski, and Rogers should become relevant again because of this tourney. They're all legit. Barnett still might be the #2 HW in MMA skill wise... Kharitonov is always a threat, especially if he takes this US **** serious and gets in shape... These guys have just been inactive or fighting clowns around the world lately and not looking as impressive as they have in the past. This could remind people why the UFC's HW division was thought of as being so utterly weak until the last year or so...

And I love that Coker put the guys who have been relevant recently on the same side. That way we're not disappointed in the final match-up at the end of the tournament because so-and-so didn't get there due to losing or injury...

My dream for this tournament is for it to come down to Fedor v. Barnett. Finally.
Arlovski's chin is too shot. I don't think that he can take too much anymore, or at least not to the point of being a top guy again. Sergei is past his prime IMO. Yeah he can have a career resurrection of sorts, but until it happens I don't think he'll be a top guy anymore. I don't think that Barnett is going to get licensed again. He's made himself look like such a joke with how he has responded to the CAC by not showing up to his hearings. I doubt he'll take place in this tourney, and even if he does it's been so long since he's beat someone relevant. How far has he slipped? That's pretty much my thinking.

But I agree that the best guys are on the same side. It guarantees us the better matchups while giving one or two heavyweights some career redemption. Personally I'll be rooting for Fedor. It's hard not to be a fan since I've rooted for him for so long. In spite of all the nonsense with M-1 renegotiating after every fight and all, I still find myself hoping that he'll own Bigfoot, Overeem, and whoever is on the other side of the bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
Gotta say I am pretty ******* pissed about this card. Dana was talking about it it like it was going to be the best card since 100. I would hope that they add another big time fight if they really do want to sell out the ******* Skydome.
I'm thinking that the Cain injury might have something to do with it. They were probably going to have Cain vs. Dos Santos on the Toronto card, but with him being hurt that won't happen. Maybe they get JDS a fight on the card anyway if he can't wait for Cain to fully heal. JDS vs. Carwin would be a pretty sweet addition if they can make that happen.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:30 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ya, I agree with that. When they first announced the fight expected it to be the HW championship. Hopefully they can get the Edgar-Maynard rematch done in time, but I do expect them to try and get some sort of legit Heavyweight matchup on the card.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:39 PM    (permalink
SwagU
Veteran

I would love to see Rampage fight on the card(mostly because he is my fav fighter). I say you put him against the winner of Franklin vs Griffin. The winner of that one faces the winner of Jones vs Bader for #1 contender. Would love to see a Griffin vs Rampage rematch on the card.

Last edited by SwagU : 01-05-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Those fights are happening in a month. They couldn't fight that soon.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:46 PM    (permalink
SwagU
Veteran

There fights are at the begining of February, giving them about 3 full months. Yes a little soon, but i've seen shorter time off between fights.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:06 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

Any news on when Carwin might be back?

Old 01-05-2011, 11:33 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I dunno, if GSP is on it, it'll probly sell out. I mean come on, we're both Canadian, we know the truth. Canadians love nothing more than Canadians. If a Canadian is successful in any athletic event or entertainment genre, he or she(well usually he if it's sports) is a national hero and every Canadian is fully aware of their Canadian-ness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
I dunno, if GSP is on it, it'll probly sell out. I mean come on, we're both Canadian, we know the truth. Canadians love nothing more than Canadians. If a Canadian is successful in any athletic event or entertainment genre, he or she(well usually he if it's sports) is a national hero and every Canadian is fully aware of their Canadian-ness.
ACC...sure....but the Rogers Center seats over 45 thousand. I just don't see that happening with the current card at the prices they will be charging.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:48 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Page 420
Old 01-06-2011, 12:02 AM    (permalink
SwagU
Veteran

There is no doubt in my mind that it is going to sell out. Put the card aside you have MMA in Ontario for the first time. I know that a lot of the crowd at the Montreal cards were from Ontario, and I know my reason for not going and many others reason was travel, hotel and other expenses. So the way I see it you now have a added population of people able to go. Plus I guarantee other Provinces like Quebec and Manitoba will also show up, possibly even some people from the States. To be honest most do not even care about the card, they just wan't the experience.

When do tickets go on sale anyways? Im anxiously waiting to pounce on Ticketmaster for atleast 10 tickets.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:06 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

I agree that it will likely sell out, but the Skydome is a hell of a lot bigger than the Bell Center.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:13 AM    (permalink
SwagU
Veteran

Quote:
I agree that it will likely sell out, but the Skydome is a hell of a lot bigger than the Bell Center.
That was there main point of choosing it over the ACC so they could smash the attendance record. Actually heard Dana say that he was impressed when he watched Pacquaio fight at Cowboys Stadium saying that he was amazed that it kept its feel, and was interested with putting a fight on there. So would Dana dare do a event in Dallas to smash this record?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:36 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

I hope he does an event at Cowboy Stadium because I'd do my best to make it this time. Last time I had a few things come up that kept me from going to UFC 103 with Franklin and Belfort. This time I'd probably prepare for it better, especially if it's something huge like Anderson vs. GSP. That'd be perfect here because neither guy would get a home town crowd.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:12 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

So Frankie has a medical suspension until July, so no Maynard/Frankie any time soon especially not in Toronto. So Pettis definitely now has lost his title shot no way he sits up to a year or more.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:52 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Maybe they could have Pettis fight Maynard while Frankie is injured. It would keep them both busy, and it would sort of solve the dilemma on who gets the title shot.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:56 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

If Maynard wants to. Seems like Gray feels like he is owed an immediate rematch. Who knows we've seen how long Rashad has waited for Shogun, so who knows maybe he thinks the same way. At least it appears as if Pettis will fight whoever the UFC gives him. Really I still think the best option is a Bendo rematch. It was an amazing first fight and regardless of who wins the UFC can still promote the unification of the titles. If Pettis loses to a Kenflo or Sot the unification of belts idea is killed.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:07 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SF challengers series tonight @ 11. Main event can't wait to see T-Wood. Also can't wait to see Rhadi Ferguson's SF debut. One of the best grapplers I have ever seen live in person. He has a shot to be great in MMA. If you could give him Kimbo's hands he'd be unstoppable. Also can't wait to see Ron Humphrey and OSP. St. Preux has been on a tear and of course got to root for the football guys.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:27 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Oh yeah, I forgot that Rhadi was debuting tonight.