Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Who deserves a title shot more?
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson 12 30.77%
Lyoto "Dragon" Machida 27 69.23%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2011, 02:51 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I gotta give B.J. some props for last night. He gave Fitch the hardest fight in a long time, and that means something when you consider the caliber of Fitch. He looked devastated after the fight, so I was wondering if he was thinking of retiring before the fight. If he wants to keep fighting then I would be glad. He's still got a ton left, and it's no shame getting handled in the the third round to a cardio monster like Fitch.

On another hand, how great is Frankie Edgar? B.J. was stuffing Fitch's takedowns and doing really well in the clinch game, but Edgar just slammed the **** out of him, nullified all of his offense on the ground, and throw some nice ground and pound on him.
The whole thing is that Frankie is the perfect match for BJ because of his speed, plus BJ was always on guard, with Fitch BJ didn't have to worry much about his striking.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:08 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry Aussie fans but I gotta say this, Sotiropoulos will never be a true contender in the UFC, he can be a Bisping type of guy who is a good addition to foreign cards but his grappling is average at best and his striking is basically terrible. I've been feeling this way for awhile now and thought Siver was a nice hand picked fight for him to advance a little bit further, he just isn't that good.

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:42 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

By Aussie fans you mean me! :(

But I kind of agree with you. Sot just doesn't have the takedown offense to get into the top 5 of the division unfortunately. It's a shame really, but not something that is incredibly surprising considering we have absolutely no wrestling programs in Australia.

His striking is average, but in reality he just uses it to try and set-up the takedown so as soon as he gets in a kickboxing match he gets exposed.

However, once he gets the guy to the ground he is amazing to watch and his guard passes are among the smoothest in MMA.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:54 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe he should considering going to a real camp, Greg Jackson would be perfect

Old 02-28-2011, 05:29 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He trains with Eddie Bravo so I guess he is focusing wayyyyy too much on the BJJ and not enough on the wrestling.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:20 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Regarding Sot, I think he has a chance to improve and be a gatekeeper type and maybe even a potential contender if he improves his wrestling. His bjj is just really smooth and his guard passes are so aggressive. The issue is that the lightweight division is just so deep that I'm not sure he can get past guys like Edgar, Maynard, or even a guy like Jim Miller. The thing is, he is really well rounded and doesn't really have a glaring weakness.

Another issue I wanted to mention was that I was looking at some comments Dana White about the judging of the main event. He said that he thought BJ won because he didn't think round 3 was a 10-8 round. I understand that he is a promoter and all, but its so ridiculous that he is just going to support BJ because he is the more popular/exciting fighter. I think anyone could see that the last round was a 10-8 and if you didn't see it, you could just look at the stats and it would be very obvious. I'm not arguing with the draw, but I think it is near impossible to argue for BJ winning outright because of the absolute dominance of the third round.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:10 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The way I saw it 10-8 3rd, 10-9 first for BJ. 2nd round is a tossup but at first watch I'd give BJ the round, so yeah the draw wasn't completely ludicrous. Gotta give it to Fitch though he has great submission defense, BJ got his back twice, almost any other fighter and it would have been game over either time.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:14 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
The way I saw it 10-8 3rd, 10-9 first for BJ. 2nd round is a tossup but at first watch I'd give BJ the round, so yeah the draw wasn't completely ludicrous. Gotta give it to Fitch though he has great submission defense, BJ got his back twice, almost any other fighter and it would have been game over either time.
I agree about Fitch's sub D. I think even thought it was a really close fight and possiblt a draw, Fitch really proved that his black belt is well deserved. Bj getting a fighter's back is usually the harbinger of a rapid doom. I really wonder if Fitch might have been better equipped to beat BJ if it weren't for the new diet. Fitch looked significantly smaller than he usually is and that might have made it harder for him to physically dominate fitch as per his usual style.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:25 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

I don't think strength was an issue. As we saw in the 3rd when he took down BJ he dominated him. The thing is that Fitch doesn't have as great of a pure straight shot like GSP, Kos, or Edgar. A lot of his takedowns is about clinching and grinding you to the ground. BJ has the most insane balance and clinch defense that Fitch struggled to get him down on the ground. BJ also didn't respect his standup much.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:24 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think people are being a little too hard on G-Sot. His striking isn't top notch, but he did enough to outstrike Siver in the second round after getting owned pretty bad in the first round. Him not being able to get Siver down is a combination of Siver having good TDD and G-Sot not having good transitions into takedowns. I think he can improve and still be a contender. He has to work on his wrestling though because 155 is filled with guys who can wrestle both defensively and offensively, and they have good enough BJJ to stay out of danger. How he improves this year will really determine how far he can go because 155 is just so deep that you don't want to let other people catch up.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:18 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

I think with regards to Fitch's strength that he might have been able to prevent BJ from getting up as much in the first two rounds, or maybe even been able to muscle him off of him on a takedown or two even if he hadnt prepared takedown defense. He used to be around 190-200, cutting to 170 and i heard that the week before the fight he was easily at like 176. It was clear he was much less broad than usual and it might have helped. I don't know how much quicker/better his cardio is at the lower weight though. He really didn't slow down at all while landing 142 punches in the third.

G-Sot is a guy that is talented enough to be a contender if you take the total of his skills like it were in a video games, but I think if you put it all together in real life and compare it to the other top contenders in the division, I don't think he has much of a shot. I honestly don't see him being competitive with Edgar, Maynard, Miller. The reason I add in Miller is because he is a BJJ black belt who has shown excellent wrestling that I think could neutralize Sot. I think an interesting test would be G-Sot against the winner of Pettis/Bocek or Guida/Henderson. It would serve the double purpose of seeing how good the top WEC guys are, assuming they win, and how good G-Sot is.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:47 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

It's Pettis/Guida, Bocek/Bendo.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:13 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
It's Pettis/Guida, Bocek/Bendo.
Im a foolish addled brained moron. Just like James Franco at the Oscars.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:16 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thing about the lightweight division is that it doesn't matter at all who Joe Silva puts together for a match. It's going to be interesting because 155 is loaded with talent and contenders. I'm sure G-Sot will find him another good opponent, and so will Siver. I really have been wanting G-Sot vs. Dunham for some months now, maybe this will be the chance to do it.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:25 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

doubt Sot gets anyone remotely dangerous in his next few fights, he is basically the only Australian fighter with anything going for him and to lose a few more fights would just not make sense financially

Old 03-02-2011, 12:29 AM    (permalink
JF4
Pro Bowler

JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
doubt Sot gets anyone remotely dangerous in his next few fights, he is basically the only Australian fighter with anything going for him and to lose a few more fights would just not make sense financially
I wouldn't say next few he gets no one dangerous but it's a possibility his next one isn't as big of a name. If he wins that one I think you have no choice to start matching him against top-notch guys because even though he lost he has still proven he can compete with and beat top-level guys.

The financial side really only goes so far because sure he might be the only good Aussie fighter but i'm sure his fans don't want to see him fight cans for his next few fights. I think matching him with top level guys makes also sense financially because he is proven and can be an easy sell for fans as say the 2nd or 3rd fight on a PPV card against another top guy. Even headlining a Fight Night would be possible, but I I dont think they would use Soto for that.

Based on some other LW fights that have happened recently here's a couple names I could possibly see him fighting next.

Cerrone
Diaz
Dunham
Taylor

stephenson86

Last edited by JF4 : 03-02-2011 at 12:31 AM.
JF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:47 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

I don't want to see him to back to scrubs like George Roop and Jason Dent. Give him a guy in that 10-20 range who isn't a pure wrestler and I think he'll get back on track. After all he performed well against guys like Pellegrino and Stevenson, he deserves a challenging opponent.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:32 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I don't want to see him to back to scrubs like George Roop and Jason Dent. Give him a guy in that 10-20 range who isn't a pure wrestler and I think he'll get back on track. After all he performed well against guys like Pellegrino and Stevenson, he deserves a challenging opponent.
How about Noke? They are 1-1 against each other and would be a big fight for Australian fans. Noke is 3-0 in the UFC right now.

Also my picks for tomorrow night:

Diego Sanchez vs. Martin Kampmann: Kamp is the better striker but I think Diego will dominate this fight with his wrestling. If he could avoid submission from Paulo Thiago he most likely will do the same against Kamp who is another guy with a dangerous guard.

C.B. Dolloway vs. Mark Munoz: Dolloway is quicker, more athletic, a better striker, better subs, and probably a better mma wrestler. I go Munoz though because he has the power factor. Both standing and gnp he has massive power which I think will give him a 2nd or 3rd round stoppage. I expect him to get tagged a ton before that though.

Alessio Sakara vs. Chris Weidman: I expect the Wieldman hype train to start after this fight. He could get in trouble standing though.

Brian Bowles vs. Damacio Page: Bowles should be right back in the title hunt after this win, IMO he should be fighting Urijah for the #1 contender spot.

Joe Daddy vs. Danny Castillo: Joe Daddy via guillotine.

Mizugaki vs. Reuben Duran: Bounce back for Mizugaki.

Shane Roller vs. Thiago Tavares: Roller will dictate the fight with his wrestling but Tavares will attack from his guard and has an advantage on teh feet.

Steve Cantwell vs. Cyrille Diabate: If the fight goes to the ground Diabate is at a big disadvantage as Cantwell is stronger and more skilled. I think it stays standing though and Diabate will pick him apart.

Rob Kimmons vs. Dongi Yang: Kimmons will grind out a decision.

Igor Pokrajac vs. Todd Brown: Igor is more well rounded.

Dave Branch vs. Palhares: Really this is the first fight of the night? Should be on the main card. I was leaning towards a Branch decision but hell can't bet against Palhares ripping his leg off.

Also for Saturday I am picking Feijao over Hendo and Kennedy over Manhoeff. BTW the 2nd bracket of the damn SF HW tournament has been moved to June instead of April, lame. That card though is starting to look pretty sick, Nick Diaz vs Daley for WW title, Melendez vs Kawajiri for the LW title, Mousasi vs Mike Kyle, also rumored to be on this card is KJ Noons vs Aoki.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

The problem with Noke v G-Sot is that Noke is 185 and G-Sot is 150.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:44 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

Hah that's funny I thought he was fighting at 170 and could drop down. My bad.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:40 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

So apparently the next season of TUF will be featuring Featherweights and Bantamweights. Sounds like a great way to introduce casual fans to the smaller weight divisions while also giving some of the divisions best fighters more time in the spotlight (coaches potentially being Cruz and Faber).

Old 03-02-2011, 09:46 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

i may actually watch cus the fights wont suck, I bet the UFC tries to sneak in a few more good guys than normal

Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 PM    (permalink
FuzzyGopher
Pro Bowler

FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought the next season was Lesnar and JDS?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:36 PM    (permalink
JF4
Pro Bowler

JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That one is filming now and its middleweights I am pretty sure. He was referring to the one after that which will probably air late 2011.

Edit: Welterweights. thanks caddy

stephenson86

Last edited by JF4 : 03-02-2011 at 11:31 PM.
JF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:58 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

The Lesnar/Dos Santos one is 16 welterweights.