Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Who deserves a title shot more?
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson 12 30.77%
Lyoto "Dragon" Machida 27 69.23%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2011, 02:55 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rampage had a lot of trouble getting around Jones' longer reach. At least Anderson can move his head well enough to get close. But I think Jones would dominate him on the ground, as long as he is wary of Silva's submissions.
MidwayMonster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:12 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anderson has one of the longest reaches in MMA and would still be at a 7" disadvantage against Jon Jones. Anderson is worlds better as a striker, but Jones is just too big, too fast, too strong, and too good on the ground. Anderson won't take a fight he doesn't think he can win (same with any quality fighter), and there's no way he thinks he can win against Jones.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:14 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
*shrug* anderson's got the speed and striking to finish that fight if he can stay away from Bones. Bones is a freak and all, but if Anderson's swinging at his best he can knock you out on the way into your first takedown.
Jones has the length and speed to never let Anderson get to him, though. And for takedowns, Jones would utilize the clinch and upperbody takedowns...he wouldn't risk shooting on Anderson.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Jones has the length and speed to never let Anderson get to him, though. And for takedowns, Jones would utilize the clinch and upperbody takedowns...he wouldn't risk shooting on Anderson.
Either these words mean something different to me than they do to you, or you're saying that if Anderson is slippery enough he'd get his chances to wail on Jones.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:00 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Either these words mean something different to me than they do to you, or you're saying that if Anderson is slippery enough he'd get his chances to wail on Jones.
No, he'd be pinned up against the cage getting his feet stomped while Jones worked a trip.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let me say that I make Bones a favorite over Anderson. That said, if Jones stays standing with Anderson he is likely getting KTFO. I make Jones the favorite because he should be able to dominate the ground game like Sonnen, but he will have the strength to finish while it's down there. Make no mistake about it though, if it stays standing and Jones gives Anderson 25 minutes to land something, he absolutely will.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Let me say that I make Bones a favorite over Anderson. That said, if Jones stays standing with Anderson he is likely getting KTFO. I make Jones the favorite because he should be able to dominate the ground game like Sonnen, but he will have the strength to finish while it's down there. Make no mistake about it though, if it stays standing and Jones gives Anderson 25 minutes to land something, he absolutely will.
I feel the same way. Anderson's got some good defensive wrestling, but it's not stopping Jones. On the feet though Anderson would exploit the hell out of Bones. Right now Bones is good at standup, but Anderson is great at catching guys at their weakest. He would certainly find a flaw in Jones' standup. Hell he might just catch a kick and tag him like he did with Irvin. Bones doesn't snap his kicks so hard that they can't be caught and countered.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:27 AM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm in the same camp. I will favor Jones over Anderson if that superfight ever comes to fruition, but it would have nothing to do with Bones' striking. I don't want to hear about his insane reach advantage. I don't want to hear about his evolution as a striker. None of that matters to me. If he tried to stand and bang with Anderson Silva for five rounds, the Spider would be walking out of the Octagon with two world championships. Bones has talked about watching Anderson's fights in the past and tailoring certain elements to his own game. That would get him nowhere with Anderson though. Anderson has spent his whole life mastering the art of stand-up. He's honed pugilistic subtleties and developed into a ruthless Muay Thai practitioner. He has adroit head movement, impeccable timing, surgical precision, flawless form, killer speed, and the power to strike his opponent with devastating combinations in rapid succession. Jones would be outclassed on his feet in every category except reach. And reach alone would not be enough to save Bones. Eventually Anderson would find his opening and pounce.

That said, I think Jones is smart enough to know that and would look to get the fight to the ground as soon as possible. But, in the time it takes to close the distance, he would be vulnerable to flurries of fists, elbows, feet, knees. Anderson throws them all well and Bones could eat a big one coming in. I wouldn't want to truly test my chin for the first time that way. Once Bones has Anderson pinned though, I think it would be all over. Jones isn't like Sonnen. He wouldn't be content with remaining just active enough to avoid being stood up. He would look to inflict serious damage and attempt to finish the fight. I think it would be a matter of time before one of those vicious elbows ended Anderson's unbeaten streak. Sure, Anderson has his jiu-jitsu off his back in that position, and Jones' submission defense is a bit of an unknown still, but I wouldn't like those odds for the Spider. Shogun is no slouch on the ground at all and was hard-pressed to hit an escape or sweep Jones.

Personally, I don't think it will ever happen though, and I'm not that disappointed. I think Machida is a better stylistic match-up. Henderson intrigues me a little. But, if I were given Joe Silva's job for a day and allowed to make any match for Jones, it would be against Cain or JDS.
Cudders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:59 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Words can't express how excited I am that we're getting three titles defended in the next two weekends. The great thing is that these titles are coming in some of the most exciting weight classes: 155, 145, and 135. I'm most excited for Cruz vs. Mighty Mouse. I am really high on Edgar and Maynard going at it again, but man I see some ultra crazy **** happening with a lot of slick reversals and fast paced action. Edgar and Maynard would still be good too. Their first fight was a good battle between two young guys that were hungry, but their second fight is still my choice for Fight of the year.

Aldo vs. Florian is intriguing, but more for the aspect of seeing someone as great as Aldo fighting. Don't get me wrong, I am not under selling Kenny at all. he is a good fighter that has evolved into a good striker with a nice ground game, but I don't think that he'll do enough to take out Aldo. Aldo is just gifted. He's so patient with picking guys apart that it's hard to outgun him. He's great at defending takedowns too. It's just a matter of seeing one guy as much better, but anything can happen so nothing is guaranteed.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:14 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

I didn't much care for Edgar-Maynard II, and really can't get excited for III. The second fight was exciting in the first round when Maynard almost ended it, then it was just lame. Neither did much of anything the rest of the fight.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:27 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
Icon

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Edgar and Maynard are both boring. I expect another snooze fest rather than FOTN or even FOTY.

145 and 35 will be intriguing though.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:25 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

The Edgar Maynard rematch was incredible beyond the comeback. Both guys are very good at boxing and wrestling, so it was a very intriguing chess match. I love watching fights that are very even between highly skilled guys. I could watch their rematch all day.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:31 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

all 3 fights have potential to be fight of the year candidates imo, Aldo vs Florian being the most lopsided but still should be very exciting.

Gonna try to watch this whole season of TUF for once, love the smaller weight classes should lead to good fights, just wish they morphed this from a reality show to more of a weekly fight with a mix of TUF guys and UFC guys

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:07 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

I thought it was funny when the guy on TUF said that he got into MMA because he loves Dragonball Z and Rampage highlights. "Man **** Naruto!" He had me rollin' with that comment. He was very very raw too. He's got some good strength and punching power, but that's really all he had. His takedown defense wasn't bad, but he got tired too fast. He also has no knowledge of the ground game either. Maybe in the future someone can mold him, but right now he needs to get a lot more experience under his belt. The dude has some great shots off his back. If he gets with the right camp he could be pretty dangerous in a few years.

Caraway got too overconfident there. He gassed as well, and he's lucky Marcus was so raw. He's got to work on his conditioning.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:55 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

early stoppage but he wasnt getting out of that round

Old 10-01-2011, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
Icon

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Still though...crazy **** happens. Shouda waited a bit more.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:08 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's what happens when you have no back up plan to lay n pray. BTW so pumped for Hulk Easton, definitely had a ton of pressure but he's gonna be a legit contender at 35. BTW just horrible stoppages tonight, the Yamasaki bro's are screwing up royally. In an earlier fight Mario's bro stopped a fight when roller was caught in an arm bar but his arm wasn't even extended and he still had his arms grasped together.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:11 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

I was wondering how Roller lost

Old 10-01-2011, 10:29 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love watching Cruz fight. Can't wait for the main event.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:33 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lets go Mighty Mouse!!!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:58 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

amazing fight so far, got those 2-1 for Mighty Mouse

Old 10-01-2011, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
amazing fight so far, got those 2-1 for Mighty Mouse
I think you're crazy. I think Cruz clearly won 1 and 3, with DJ taking 2 easily. Stand up in rd 1 was fairly even, but Cruz had 2 takedowns and got side control twice.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:06 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Mighty Mouse needs a finish here imo.....gotta press and stay off his back.

Last edited by Rob S : 10-01-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Rob S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:10 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

hell of a fight, Cruz 3-2 imo

Old 10-01-2011, 11:12 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

Clear decision for Cruz, it's just a pipe dream that one day the UFC will have standups.