Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Who deserves a title shot more?
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson 12 30.77%
Lyoto "Dragon" Machida 27 69.23%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2012, 10:47 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Other than shorts grab, ehhhhhh. And I hate Silva. Even the shorts grab is as bad as stuff that happens all the time. I think its clear that Silva's finishing power combined with Sonnens stupid would lead to Silva finishes every time with Sonnen looking good until that happens.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:37 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

10 title defenses?! Anderson Silva is amazing. G.O.A.T. indeed.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I always hated Silva but respected him. After last night I lost respect for him. First for the vaseline second for the MULTIPLE times he held his shorts to avoid the takedown.
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Dan Henderson.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:00 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know Sonnen had just turtled there at the end, but none of the punches Silva was throwing were landing. The only one that actually got some contact was the last one. I thought Levigne stepped in a few seconds too early there.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Y'all are haters. Anderson is absolutely the GOAT.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:34 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People need to realize he has no defense for a flying scissor reverse heel hook.

/irony
Old 07-08-2012, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Y'all are haters. Anderson is absolutely the GOAT.
Hell no.

He's one of the best no doubt but not GOAT. That title would go to Fedor. Only people who would say otherwise are the people who only watched him at the very end of his career.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post
I always hated Silva but respected him. After last night I lost respect for him. First for the vaseline second for the MULTIPLE times he held his shorts to avoid the takedown.
He'll be devastated

Like you really ever respected him anyway.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:03 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol invited him to a bbq or as they say barbacoa

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderz4life View Post
Hell no.

He's one of the best no doubt but not GOAT. That title would go to Fedor. Only people who would say otherwise are the people who only watched him at the very end of his career.
I strongly disagree with you.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Other than shorts grab, ehhhhhh. And I hate Silva. Even the shorts grab is as bad as stuff that happens all the time. I think its clear that Silva's finishing power combined with Sonnens stupid would lead to Silva finishes every time with Sonnen looking good until that happens.
This is what I took from last nightís fight, too. Chael Sonnen has all of the tools to beat Anderson Silva. I still donít think thatís debatable. Powerful wrestling to get the fight to the ground, suffocating top control to keep it there, and active ground-and-pound to prevent a stand-up. Those three items headline the checklist of skills needed and Sonnen has each in spades. But he lacks championship command and poise. When scouting Silva, he shouldíve realized how Andersonís long limbs enable him to ensnare people in his triangle. He didnít adapt as Silva controlled his head and locked the triangle armbar for the finish in their first fight. Last night, he had Silva in a fine position and decided to throw a wild spinning elbow. Against a supreme defensive striker that can make well-disguised shots look telegraphed. And he landed against the cage with Anderson standing right over him. With such a slim margin for error, challengers canít create those openings for Silva. Heís got the finishing power to capitalize.

If thereís another fight in the series, I see it being much of the same. Sonnen looking like he can be the one to dethrone Silva until he does something stupid and botches all of his impressive groundwork. Iím not sure he deserves it though. At this point, the last fight at middleweight that intrigues me for Anderson is Jake Shields. Then itís superfights at LHW, please.

Quote:
The vaseline was questionable, but he was wiped down before the fight. Grabbing shorts is such a common occurrence in MMA though. On that note, with his approach to fighting, Sonnen shouldnít be wearing such loose trunks. Itís just begging opponents to use them to their advantage against him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I would be inclined to agree. Itís not just the people heís finished, but how heís finished them and for how long heís been doing it. Heís been nothing short of masterful. Almost a decade of pure dominance at the pinnacle of the sport. Fifteen straight wins. Thirteen finishes in that same span. Ten consecutive title defenses. And embarrassing a former champion in the weight class above him. His run has been just incredible to witness.

Quote:
Dan Henderson.
Silva beat Henderson head-to-head. And finished him in the second round at that. Hendo is still an absolute legend of the sport though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
I know Sonnen had just turtled there at the end, but none of the punches Silva was throwing were landing. The only one that actually got some contact was the last one. I thought Levigne stepped in a few seconds too early there.
I thought I was alone on that impression. Granted, I donít think the fight wouldíve lasted much longer because Silva was going to get through and rock him with one of those, but I thought it was a little soon as well. Iím sure these referees have a clear mandate to be too soon rather than too late though, and I donít see how Sonnen couldíve escaped that spot, so it doesnít bother me much in the end.

Overall, I thought the whole card was fun. Little disappointed that Stun Gun hurt his ribs in the opening minute of the first round. That fight couldíve evolved into such an entertaining, technical ground exhibition.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:45 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If sun fun didn't get hurt, few would have posted about ten seconds longer than he did.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Hendo dominated HW, LHW, and MW

Silva is scared to seriously move out of MW.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:25 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't pretend that Henderson would be competitive at HW in the UFC

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Don't pretend that Henderson would be competitive at HW in the UFC
I'm talking career. Only person in history. An he did beat the best ever in Fedor.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm talking career. Only person in history. An he did beat the best ever in Fedor.

Bigfoot beat Fedor :\

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:27 PM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hendo dominated HW, LHW, and MW

Silva is scared to seriously move out of MW.
As far as I know, Hendo had one fight at HW, and thatís his fight with a struggling Fedor that had just lost two consecutive fights to a pair of sub-top 5 heavies. Fedor weighed 223 lbs for that fight. For all intents and purposes, thatís not a true HW bout. Itís above the LHW threshold, sure, but itís not like Hendo has made a career of beating some of the hulking behemoths that dominate the HW division now. For his entire career, heís fought as a MW and LHW. At MW, Anderson finished him. Thatís a head-to-head, decisive result between the two. Anderson Silva beat Dan Henderson in the Octagon. And Anderson has been brilliant in his two fights at LHW, too. Weíll see what Hendo does with Bones at UFC 151, but looking at his ledger, thereís not a single LHW that Hendo has beaten that I wouldnít also favor Silva to handle. Not one.

Plus, Hendoís career lacks the same championship luster. As I said, Silva has rattled off fifteen consecutive victories. Thirteen finishes in those fights. Ten consecutive title defenses. In his UFC career, Silva is 11-0 in championship matches. 11-0. For comparison, in Pride and the UFC and Strikeforce, Hendo is 3-3. Now, I donít mean to come across as being too harsh on Hendo. I consider him to be one of all-time greats. I just consider Silva to be the greatest of all-time.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Silva beat 2 low to mid tier LHW, so lets not pretend like that's a shining accomplishment.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 PM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderz4life View Post
Silva beat 2 low to mid tier LHW, so lets not pretend like that's a shining accomplishment.
A fair point. James Irvin is a low-to-mid tier LHW at best, to be quite honest. Joe Silva and Dana White put Irvin in the Octagon against Anderson because it had all of the makings of a spectacular finish for Silva. Forrest is a game opponent though. Heís not the strongest or fastest fighter, but heís bigger than Anderson with a ton of heart and some good technical skills to boot. His kicks are real legit and his jiu-jitsu is underrated. He didnít become champion on scrappiness alone. But Silva dominated both of them. It looked like he didnít even break a sweat doing it.

Moving past that though, I donít see a LHW opponent that Hendo has beaten that Anderson couldnít. Silva has beaten Franklin twice. Heís knocked out Vitor. Shogun would be a sick striking battle, but I would favor Silva to outpoint him. Hendo even lost to Rampage at LHW and I think that would be a comfortable win for Anderson.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:16 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudders View Post
A fair point. James Irvin is a low-to-mid tier LHW at best, to be quite honest. Joe Silva and Dana White put Irvin in the Octagon against Anderson because it had all of the makings of a spectacular finish for Silva. Forrest is a game opponent though. Heís not the strongest or fastest fighter, but heís bigger than Anderson with a ton of heart and some good technical skills to boot. His kicks are real legit and his jiu-jitsu is underrated. He didnít become champion on scrappiness alone. But Silva dominated both of them. It looked like he didnít even break a sweat doing it.

Moving past that though, I donít see a LHW opponent that Hendo has beaten that Anderson couldnít. Silva has beaten Franklin twice. Heís knocked out Vitor. Shogun would be a sick striking battle, but I would favor Silva to outpoint him. Hendo even lost to Rampage at LHW and I think that would be a comfortable win for Anderson.
But we are talking Rampage of 07 which is a big difference than the current state of Rampage. Rampage would get tooled if he got into a straight striking match but if he pressured Silva and muscled him around and with his wrestling and power he would give Silva a run for his money. Again I'm talking Rampage from 5 years ago.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
But we are talking Rampage of 07 which is a big difference than the current state of Rampage. Rampage would get tooled if he got into a straight striking match but if he pressured Silva and muscled him around and with his wrestling and power he would give Silva a run for his money. Again I'm talking Rampage from 5 years ago.
I would still favor Silva over that Rampage.

Rampage has never been the most disciplined fighter. He has the power and wrestling to control Silva, but heís never been the best at sticking to smart gameplans. Rampage is all too willing to make fights slugfests. Once he stepped into that arena, heíd be in a world of trouble. He falls in love with his right hand and becomes predictable. He doesnít check leg kicks. And heís been just brutalized with knees in the clinch before. Rampage poses his threats, I just think Anderson would exploit those holes in his game en route to a win.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:06 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:12 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Yeah I don't really get the angle. Hendo has 1 HW bout in his career. Don't know how that's a large enough sample to say he's dominated the weightclass.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:48 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I love Hendo, but if we are talking GOAT I don't think he is up there with Hendo or Fedor or probably GSP and Bones when it's all said and done. He just never had that extended period of dominance against quality opposition and his 8 (EIGHT!) losses are sprinkled throughout his career. He has also never cleaned out a weight class. I give him props for fighting over 2 weight classes, but he still has never had a true stretch of dominance. I love Hendo, but the guy can be beat and his career proves that. This current iteration of Anderson absolutely looks unbeatable and I would favor him to beat anyone at 185 or 205 except for Bones.