Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 04-25-2007, 07:42 PM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

gstock05 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default My long big 10 reviews and thoughts for 2007

Lots of talk about who the best team in the big 10 will be next year. Many people point directly to Wisconsin or Michigan. However, my biased self has a hard time seeing this. Personally, I think this will be a year the big 10 beats itself up. However, I don't get why Ohio State isn't being mentioned up with Michigan and Wisconsin, and I'd like to take a moment to analyze Penn State and their ambiguity.

First off. Lets take a quick analysis of what each team loses, gains, and where their strengths will be next season.

I'll start off with Wisconsin.

Wisconsin

Key losses- John Stocko, Joe Thomas.

Key returning players- PJ Hill, Travis Beckum.

Analysis.. Following a good 2006 campaign with coach Bielema and breakout star PJ Hill, the badgers figure to be at the top of the big 10. They should feature a powerful running game with PJ Hill and John Clay. They lose very few players which always bodes well. They'll have an average passing game with a star tight end in Beckum. Running however has always been Wisconsin's bread and butter. On defense, expect the badger defense to be stout, but not dominant.

Overall thoughts- very solid technically sound team.. new quarterback and loss of Thomas may leave some questioning their offense. Great coach, however, they seem like the "sexy" pick in the big 10 that will probably not live up to expectations.

Michigan

Key Losses: DT Alan Branch, LB David Harris, LB Prescott Burgess, DE Llamar Woodley, CB Leon Hall.

Key Returnees: OT Jake Long, RB Mike Hart, QB Chad Henne, WR Manningham, WR Arrington.

Analysis: Michigan always will, and always has been a big 10 power. I've said it a few times, this team really reminds me of the 2003 Michigan squad that lost the final two games to Ohio State and Texas. They have a good quarterback (probably better than Navarre), a great RB, and a great wide receiver (probably not as good as Edwards). They're the popular choice to win the big 10 with such a stacked offense. However, their defense leads a lot to be figured out. Michigan's most successful years came when their defense was lights out and they didn't rely on the O. Who is going to be a star on Michigan's d? Crable is a good player, and maybe Jamison will step out, however their secondary got torched regularly in the second half of the season, and they lose all their best players in the front seven with the exception of Crable and Jamison. Michigan will be a team that can beat any team, but may lose a few games because the defense. Plus they haven't proven they can beat Ohio State.

Overall thoughts- Michigan is a great team with lots of talent. But in the national rankings, everyone mentions how Ohio State loses all their offense, yet they never take note that Michigan loses more defensive talent to a defense that got torched the final two games, than Ohio State loses offensive talent. Despite that, this could be the year they finally beat OSU at home.

Ohio State

Key Losses: Troy Smith, Ted Ginn, Anthony Gonzalez, Quinn Pitcock, Antonio Pittman.

Key Returnees: OT Alex Boone, OT Kirk Barton, OG Steve Rehring, DE Vernon Gholston, MLB James Laurinaitis, CB Malcolm Jenkins

Analysis: Trying to be objective here (excuse me if I come off biased). After getting torched by florida and Michigan on d, OSU is going to go away from the bend but don't break zone scheme and revert back to a scheme closer to the 2005 version with Aj Hawk and Carpenter. The defense has more talent than it's ever had before (even with Hawk and Whitner there) and should be the best in the big 10. The defensive tackles need to step up however... especially against Wisconsin. On offense, they'll need to find a new identity. No Troy Smith, however, they return Chris Wells and an offensive line that should be amongst the best in the nation alike to Michigan. Don't expect this to be a show offense like 2006 that was fun to watch, but don't expect it to be totally grind out alike to 2002. The receivers will step up as always, but if a quarterback doesn't step up and prove he can take care of the ball, OSU could drop a few games.

Final thoughts- OSU is thought to lose 3 games by most outsiders, however, I see no more weaknesses on this squad than Michigan or Wisconsin. In fact, Ohio State is pretty much the same team as Wisconsin.. great running game, new quarterback, good line. Except OSU's d will be better, and the receivers will be more talented. Away games at Michigan and PSU might be the downfall of this squad however.

Penn State

Key Losses: Paul Posluzney, Jay Alford, Levi Brown, Tony Hunt

Key Returnees: QB Anthony Morelli, WR Derrick Williams, DB Justin King, LB Dan Conner

Analysis: No other team in the big ten, or even country looks as ambiguous as Penn State. By ambiguous, I mean they have the ability to be a very good team, or a very bad team. It's really hard to say, but with the off-field incidents, it seems I might be leaning towards bad. However, if Anthony Morelli lives up to the hype finally, and Derrick Williams starts playing like the 2005 player he was, PSU can easily come out of the blue as the best team in the big 10. They'll always have a good defense and should be second to Ohio State this year. Its simply a question if their offense can pull through after a loss of Tony Hunt, and dissapointing years from Morelli, the offensive line, and Williams.

Final thoughts- Penn State could be a 11-0 team easily if all their offensive talent lived up to the hype. However, that was not the case last year, and despite a win vs. Tennessee, they did not show much improvement as the year went on. It'll be interesting to see how Paterno handles the team this year, especially after the big fight incident.

----

Overall thoughts on the big 10..

I may sound like a homer, but I really don't see why people are rating Wisconsin above of Ohio State. Pj Hill is good, but he's just another runningback in Wisconsin's system, and this year he wont have Joe Thomas... or Stocco who carried his team for a win vs. Arkansas.

Michigan will be a show team on offense, and if their o plays well enough, it might not matter what their d does. Only two teams who can slow down their offense would be OSU and PSU. They destroyed Wisconsin last year early on when their offense was not clicking to the extent it is now. They should do better this year.

Ohio State may be inexperienced at QB and to an extent at WR, but having watched Brian Robiskie, I'm not the least concerned about the receiver position. Robiskie will be tied with Manningham as the best receiver in the big 10 at the end of the season. It's a bold statement, but he's an incredible talent. The offense won't be as flashy, but might actually be more reliable, basing the o on a ground attack, and using bigger more possession oriented receivers. The schedule also lends a big favor leaving all tough games until the end of the season when they can finally break in the offense.

Penn State is a scary team for anybody who plays them. Especially if they live up to their potential. I don't think they will, but that's just my opinion. Nevertheless, expect an incredible crowd vs. Ohio State. I think PSU is going to be a very formidable opponent and will have a good, not great season next year. However I do predict a big upset or two for the Nits.

Overall records-

Ohio State- 1 loss to PSU (OSU sucks in happy valley, and this game concerns me a lot)

Michigan- 1 loss to OSU (I just wont buy Lloyd winning vs. OSU. Especially with their D)

Wisconsin- 2 Losses. 1 to Ohio State, 1 to Michigan.

Penn State- 2 Losses. 1 to Michigan (they haven't beaten Michigan in forever..) 1 to Wisconsin

Last edited by gstock05 : 04-25-2007 at 07:45 PM.
gstock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:58 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The D will be fine with English coaching. But i truely don't expect nor want you to pick OSU over Mich, because thats not how this rivalry works. Lets see how your knew QB leads your team before you start saying they are going to beat Mich. And just so you know you D let up quite a few points to Mich last year, and i don't expect this year to be any different especially with a solid field unlike in your place last year.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:08 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I am excited about OSU. My boys on the d line are going to be amazing next year. Wilson Rose and Gholston rotating at end, Freeman Laurinaits and Homan? at lb and malcolm jenkins jamarrio oneal and eugene clifford at safety/corner. our d is going to be sick. i am also excited about worthingtons potential at DT. the man is huge at 6 foot 7 270 and is really fast. will be a presence and a good pass rusher from inside

Last edited by OhioState : 04-25-2007 at 09:19 PM.
OhioState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Where's Michigan State?

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmitty45 View Post
Where's Michigan State?
not in the top 4...
Old 04-25-2007, 10:56 PM    (permalink
HuskerNation
Rookie

HuskerNation needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
not in the top 4...
USC just scored again..........
Old 04-25-2007, 11:04 PM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

Quote:
The D will be fine with English coaching
English is a good coach, but he's not a miracle worker. Your secondary was horrible last season, you lost your best cornerback in a while, and don't have anybody decent to take his steps. Like I said, the problem won't be coaching, but simply not having the players to take advantage of the good coaching schemes. There are many good coaches out there, but you're only as good as the players you have. And frankly, Morgan Trent was NOT good last year.

As for our defense... yes we got beat badly a few times against your offense, but A. your offense is good, B. our defense was using bad schemes to cover for lack of experience, and C. our defense will be much better this year.

Anyway, I said I'm trying to be unbiased, but for any true fan, thats pretty hard to do.

Quote:
because thats not how this rivalry works.
People say that, but it's cliche. The fact of the matter, it IS how the rivalry works. Whoever is the b!tch coach is the guy who goes on a losing streak vs the other team. For a while it was cooper, now it's carr. In the past, Schembechler and Hayes clashed because they were both good. However, it's hard to argue against 10-2 UM vs OSU in the 90's, and 5-1 OSU vs Michigan in the 21st century.

Last edited by gstock05 : 04-25-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:19 PM    (permalink
CC
Veteran

CC hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.CC hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerNation View Post
So did those dominant Cowboys from OK St.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerNation View Post
did i flame you?
Old 04-25-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

gstock, your homerism does show, but it's not as bad as others. I never ever discount OSU because they are a top-notch program (ouch that hurt to say) and they always have great recruits. I love their defense and their defense is clearly the class of the Big 10. But you remember this year...Ohio State's defense was a bunch of players no one had ever heard of before, so don't fret for Michigan. Shawn Crable is a beast at LB and can play some 3rd down DE, and he hits hard. I think I hear Troy Smith's helmet still ringing from that late??? hit. (Bang bang play I'm not questioning the call) Terrance Taylor is an animal at DT, hopefully Morgan Trent will be relegated to nickel back by say week 2 hopefully. I pray Warren can come in right away and start by week 3-4, and hopefully Johnny Sears or someone can take Trent out of the lineup. The offense is on par with anyone in the country, save USC and they will bail the defense out. Ron English is good enough to make up for some of the deficiencies on our young defense.

I think the reason people like Wisconsin this year is that they have a shot at the Big 10 title, and for some it's fun to talk about other teams besides the two big dogs.

Top 4 for me....

1. Michigan
2. Ohio State
3. Wisconsin
4. Penn State

Modified a little bit from an earlier thread
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:42 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstock05 View Post
English is a good coach, but he's not a miracle worker. Your secondary was horrible last season, you lost your best cornerback in a while, and don't have anybody decent to take his steps. Like I said, the problem won't be coaching, but simply not having the players to take advantage of the good coaching schemes. There are many good coaches out there, but you're only as good as the players you have. And frankly, Morgan Trent was NOT good last year.

As for our defense... yes we got beat badly a few times against your offense, but A. your offense is good, B. our defense was using bad schemes to cover for lack of experience, and C. our defense will be much better this year.

Anyway, I said I'm trying to be unbiased, but for any true fan, thats pretty hard to do.

People say that, but it's cliche. The fact of the matter, it IS how the rivalry works. Whoever is the b!tch coach is the guy who goes on a losing streak vs the other team. For a while it was cooper, now it's carr. In the past, Schembechler and Hayes clashed because they were both good. However, it's hard to argue against 10-2 UM vs OSU in the 90's, and 5-1 OSU vs Michigan in the 21st century.

No i ment in this rivalry i wouldn't expect you to pick Mich. Dude we'll be fine, you don't have a proven QB, and your not going to win 11 games without one, I don't care how good you think D is. Bottom line they are good but the last two games they got points put up on them, as did Mich. Its not like your going to keep us from putting up points, we have our playmakers on O, you don't.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:52 PM    (permalink
snuff

Some where over a rainbow....... James Laurinaitis just over pursued or miss read another play. But everyone praised him for his fire!
Old 04-26-2007, 12:40 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey did you know his dad is a former pro wrestler by the way? I wasn't sure if you saw ESPN's 36 different features on it...rep for that post my man
Old 04-26-2007, 08:13 AM    (permalink
JCarver27
Rookie

JCarver27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWnThEfiElD View Post
No i ment in this rivalry i wouldn't expect you to pick Mich. Dude we'll be fine, you don't have a proven QB, and your not going to win 11 games without one, I don't care how good you think D is. Bottom line they are good but the last two games they got points put up on them, as did Mich. Its not like your going to keep us from putting up points, we have our playmakers on O, you don't.
I'll give you a second to reword that
JCarver27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:09 AM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

Ok we have proven playmakers on O, you don't.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:10 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's Crable time baby!

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:29 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuff View Post
Some where over a rainbow....... James Laurinaitis just over pursued or miss read another play. But everyone praised him for his fire!

Yeah not bad for a 19 year old and another year of offseason flim work and coaching will help. last year was last year for a reason, if that makes sense
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:33 AM    (permalink
constant cough
Rookie

constant cough hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1. Michigan
2. Wisconsin
3. Ohio St.
4. The Rest
constant cough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Who does Ohio State have on O besides Beanie Wells?
Old 04-26-2007, 11:00 AM    (permalink
JCarver27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWnThEfiElD View Post
Ok we have proven playmakers on O, you don't.
*sigh*

if you want to bury your head in the sand, that's fine. Chris Wells might end up being better than Mike Hart....which sets him as a playmaker already just for being in the discussion. You saw Robiskie at his best....but I'm sure you'll just blame that on all the attention being focused on Ginn and Gonzo, and that he had Troy Smith throwing to him.

Doesn't bother me much if you want to be in denial.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Valid point, but Robiskie had one play. You're telling me Robiskie is better than Manningham and Arrington? We may have to get your head examined for that one. Chris Wells is not proven, I'm sorry. One big run vs. Michigan does not mean you're proven. Do I think he will be a very very good back? Yes. Then again, we also thought Clarett was going to be nasty for years to come. Michigan has PROVEN offensive playmakers, Ohio State has POTENTIAL playmakers. Henne, Hart, Manningham, Long will all be All Big 10 first team, with Arrington almost a lock for second team. So yes, Michigan has the horses on offense as of right now.

On the other side of the ball, I really like OSU's defense. Malcolm Jenkins is a good CB and Laurinaitis, despite his overpursuing at times, has the potential to be an incredible LB, and oh my that defensive line.......wow...
Old 04-26-2007, 12:25 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuff View Post
the kid just made first team all american as a sophomore. even if he was a little overrated nobody can say he is not a player. give him a break
Old 04-26-2007, 01:15 PM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Who does Ohio State have on O besides Beanie Wells?
I know a lot of people will call me out for this, but Brian Robiskie is the real deal. If he weren't playing behind Ginn and Gonzo, he'd be mentioned amongst the best in the big 10 already.

I'll put Arrington and Manningham ahead of him for now, but by the end of the season, it might be a different story.

He reminds me a lot of Braylon Edwards. He has the best hands on the team, runs excellent routes, is pretty fast (4.45ish) is tall, and is a good jumpballer. Wide receiver is not a concern for me. The only position on offense to me that is a huge concern is quarterback. Other than that, all other positions IMO won't be a problem. Offensive line returns our two best players, and a third starter. We have Chris Wells at RB... nuff said. TE's return, receivers return some good experience.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:58 PM    (permalink
JCarver27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Valid point, but Robiskie had one play. You're telling me Robiskie is better than Manningham and Arrington? We may have to get your head examined for that one. Chris Wells is not proven, I'm sorry. One big run vs. Michigan does not mean you're proven. Do I think he will be a very very good back? Yes. Then again, we also thought Clarett was going to be nasty for years to come. Michigan has PROVEN offensive playmakers, Ohio State has POTENTIAL playmakers. Henne, Hart, Manningham, Long will all be All Big 10 first team, with Arrington almost a lock for second team. So yes, Michigan has the horses on offense as of right now.

On the other side of the ball, I really like OSU's defense. Malcolm Jenkins is a good CB and Laurinaitis, despite his overpursuing at times, has the potential to be an incredible LB, and oh my that defensive line.......wow...
He's better than Arrington....which isn't hard since he'll play this year and AA won't. He's not better than Manningham yet and I never said he was or would be. You don't have to be in order to be a playmaker.

He made more than 1 play against Michigan, but there were other games during that year besides the OSU Michigan one.

Like I said....if you want to bury your head in the sand and hide behind the word "proven", be my guest. Mike Hart, Chad Henne, and Mario Manningham were unproven at one point too. Doesn't mean jack now, does it?
Old 04-26-2007, 02:07 PM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
It's Crable time baby!
Have fun getting your asses handed to you by USC/Texas/Ohio State/Any Team who is any good in the Top 25, Yet again in 2007.

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote