Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:29 AM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Non_Sequitur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default NFL considering 17th regular season game.

Quote:
NFL officials are considering adding a 17th regular season game to accommodate the league's desire to play overseas games, Commissioner Roger Goodell said yesterday, although the idea is in the formative stages.

Goodell and other league officials had not even discussed the possibility with the leaders of the NFL Players Association as of yesterday. But if the NFL decides to increase the number of regular season games it will play in foreign countries beyond the one to two per year to which owners now are committed, it could decide to add a week to the regular season to devote to a slate of overseas games while subtracting a week from the preseason.

"One negative [to playing overseas games] is you're taking a game away from fans here," Goodell said before an annual meeting of sports editors at league headquarters in New York. "We've discussed whether to cut one preseason game and add a 17th week. It would create more inventory, and that has some appeal. We're chewing on that. The issue is: How do you create more inventory?"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042602579.html
Non_Sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:49 AM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Booo!!

I hate when they make drastic changes.
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:53 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That has bad idea written all over it.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:55 AM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 255979119 View Post
Booo!!

I hate when they make drastic changes.
The season used to be 12 games a year.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:58 AM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
The season used to be 12 games a year.
How many teams?

Nuff said.
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:12 AM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 255979119 View Post
How many teams?

Nuff said.

So we should add more teams? We'd need to add 4 more to make the divisions flow well (condense down to two per conference).
Old 04-27-2007, 06:40 AM    (permalink
I'mAHustler
Veteran

I'mAHustler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Terrible, terrible, terrible.

He'll probably end up being a WR or something...
I'mAHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:50 AM    (permalink
FloridaFootball
Veteran

FloridaFootball hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.FloridaFootball hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The NFL is America's past time and should stay in America. Stop getting greedy for more money, god damn.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:00 AM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Bad idea. Injuries are bad enough as it is. Throw another game in there and it'll get even worse. Less games is more exciting in my opinion.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:25 AM    (permalink
Homicide
Rookie

Homicide hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What is the point of a 17th game? The Colts always have their season wrapped up by week 13 usually. It would just be another week of playing back-ups for us.
Homicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:29 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Horrible idea. Its hard enough keeping track of records and trying to objectively view the game over time with all the rule changes etc, this would only complicate matters further.

What I do want to see them do however, is give teams 2 bye weeks to reduce injuries. I think having 2 bye weeks would greatly improve every team's injury situations.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:48 AM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

myinnerself hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If you are a season ticket holder and instead of getting to see your team 8 times, for the 8th game they go to China, would you be pissed? So they are trying to figure out a way that that doesn't happen. Also, it's not fair for a team to play a "home game" at a neutral sight half way across the globe. It's a better option that they add a 17th game then for them to just steal a team's home game and have them play in another country. Also, none of us can get enough football as it is, I really wouldn't mind in the lease seeing one more game every year.

edit: I really like the idea of 2 bye weeks for every team BigBlue. It would be smart for them to put forth a 2 bye system with the 17th game so that teams are appeased when worrying about injuries. It would also just be a 19 week regular season, meaning it draws things out for NFL to be in the limelight, which they will love. Interesting proposition.

Last edited by myinnerself : 04-27-2007 at 09:50 AM.
myinnerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:06 AM    (permalink
Handel
Veteran

Handel is a cocksman.Handel is a cocksman.Handel is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFootball View Post
The NFL is America's past time and should stay in America.
Lot of BS here.

Thanks to BoneKrusher
Handel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:14 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Bad idea. Injuries are bad enough as it is. Throw another game in there and it'll get even worse. Less games is more exciting in my opinion.
You got it right there, the NFL won't be happy until the Suber Bowl is decided by which QB's are still standing by the time the Super Bowl rolls around. The game is so watered down already by injuries and FA, that adding another game to make money will really take its toll on the players health. You have to wonder if the player's union will agree to it.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:16 AM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i wouldnt care really. it mke playoff races more interesting at least. but i doubt its in the players best interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:17 AM    (permalink
Shockey80

How are they gonna do home/away games? I doubt that theres much of a market for the NFL in foreign markets for them to have every single team play a game in a foreign market
Old 04-27-2007, 10:20 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.

Stupid. Let's water down the records even more.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:29 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How will they deal with home/away with an odd number of games? This is stupid.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:33 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Du-
-umb.

I'm with Jughead. How do they work home and away? Idiotic.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:33 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Yeah, it seems like Goodell really wants to make an emphasis on spreading the game overseas. I even herad on...sorry I don't remember which station...but that sometime after 2012 they are considering playing the Super Bowl in either Canada, Mexico City, or London.
I like that he wants to spread the game over the world...but not when it takes away from the NFL in America.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:37 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
Yeah, it seems like Goodell really wants to make an emphasis on spreading the game overseas. I even herad on...sorry I don't remember which station...but that sometime after 2012 they are considering playing the Super Bowl in either Canada, Mexico City, or London.
I like that he wants to spread the game over the world...but not when it takes away from the NFL in America.
Won't happen. The outside pressure will be too great.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:38 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about they do this. Cut the Preseason down to two games. Give each team an extra game, and an extra bye. That should cut down on injuries suffered late in the year. It shortens the preseason(which many players want.) It also adds another regular season game, which any fan would be happy to watch. It is a win/win situation.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:49 AM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Bad idea, more injuries more worn out before the playoffs. No no no.

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:05 AM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the new commish is trying to put his own stamp on the league. not sure if i like it, but if they cut a pre-season game i guess its okay. i think the overseas thing is crap though,

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Titans10
Veteran

Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dont mind about an extra football game but the super bowl has to stay in the country

All-hail Bulluck
Titans10 is offline   Reply With Quote