Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 04-28-2007, 05:59 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OMG OMG OMG JA just owned SD in that trade. Our 2nd for their 2nd, their 3rd, their 5th, and their 3rd next year. Are you kidding me? We just ass raped SD on that trade.

Angelo is god!

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 06:17 PM    (permalink
DaBears0530
Rookie

DaBears0530 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

who do you guys think they'll pick now ???
Old 04-28-2007, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In the TJ trade with the Jets, the point differential between pick 37 and pick 63 was worth 254 points, equivalant to about a top 5 3rd round pick. So, for those of you who don't understad, that was practically like trading TJ for an early third, and then trading that pick with our 2nd for an early 2nd. Pretty good value if you ask me.

In the trade down, we got 561.2 points from the Chargers. The 37th pick is worth 530 points. (figuring that the late 3rd round pick next year would be worth around 125). So, if my math is correct, we got 31.2 points of value.

So, we did basically trade TJ for the later. So, in retrospect, we traded Thomas Jones and our second rounder and moved up 1 spot in the second round, added an additional 3rd round pick (94) as well as an additional 5th round pick (158), and a 08 3rd round draft pick (which will likely be late). I'll take that everytime.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 06:22 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is turning out to be a great draft so far. The trade down was a gem as well, picking up an extra first day pick this year and next.

At #62 I'm hoping that some of those 2nd tier recievers are available, someone like Rice, Hill, or Smith (all wishful thinking probably), the kid from East Carolina would be fine too.

Or if Pittman or Kenny Irons is there I'd be happy as well.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:32 PM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

not liking this pick... Bazuin is a player that i like, but i don't understand why we needed to use a 2nd round pick on a 4th DE...

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:35 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
not liking this pick... Bazuin is a player that i like, but i don't understand why we needed to use a 2nd round pick on a 4th DE...
Eh, it was a reach of some sorts but I'm done doubting JA. He knows what he's doing and he knows what he saw in Bazuin.

Quote:
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:03 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Bazuin. This also means that either Brown, Wale, or Idonije is going to be on their way out of town soon.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:51 PM    (permalink
DaBears9654
Rookie

DaBears9654 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Since Bears draft talk is supposed to be restricted to this thread, I figured it's the best place to say the following. If the Bears were going to make me 2/4 on positional draft predictions (explanation below), Greg Olsen isn't a bad way to do it, esp. with the fact that TE is positively our thinnest position. Safety, I guess, is #2. The selection of a defensive end -- a position we're already 3 deep at with Brown, the Prince, & Anderson -- in round 2 does leave me scratching my head.

explanation of positional prediction history
In 2002, I was insistent the Bears wouldn't go d-line in round 1. I was right, as the went with BC offensive tackle Marc Colombo

In 2003, I wasn't nearly as certain the Bears wouldn't go d-line in the first, but if they did, I thought it would be an end. Once again, I was proven correct, as, in the first of 2 round 1 draft picks they ended up with, they took Penn St. DE Michael Haynes.

In 2004 and 2005, I wasn't sure what JA would do b/c he was throwing out smoke screen after smoke screen.

Last year, I thought they'd go CB or TE in round 1, but Angelo traded out of the first and didn't touch the tight end position.

This year, as I said 1ce on here, I thought the Bears would go o-line, but, for the 2nd year in a row, I was proven wrong. I wasn't that far off, though.

NFC North right ends are shaking in their cleats.

Or @ least they had better be.
DaBears9654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:17 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

WTF? These were two horrible picks. Wolfe? Why don't you just draft my little sister? How do you pick Wolfe over Pittman, Bush, or Jackson? Afraid they might become too good and demand too much money? And don't we already have about 10 players exactly like Okwo?

Old 04-28-2007, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Well, I overreacted. With the pickup of Okwo, we have upgraded on Leon Joe. And with Garrett Wolfe, we will be able to watch history when a man the size of my leg gets broken in half by NFL defenders.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:36 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okwo isn't a bad pick IMO. Although you are right in that he's similar to Jamar Williams (though I like Okwo better), but that's kind of the point of the Tampa 2, stockpile a bunch of small interchangeable guys you don't have to pay much.

Wolfe is puzzling, but probably not as insane as you think. I had Wolfe pegged as a 4th round pick and his stock was reportedly rising. The Bears FO will likely get beat up a bit for the pick, and with Pittman on the board deservedly so, but I think he can be productive as a change of pace type and contribute on special teams. Still puzzling with Pittman on the board though.

The Bazuin pick is ok. They were kinda stuck in the late 2nd, as there wasn't a whole lot of value. I was thinking Pittman or Beekman but neither of them even went in the 3rd round so shows what I know. Jason Hill would have been a nice pick, but is he any better than Mark Bradley? I personally don't think so.

This draft really comes down to Greg Olsen. If he's even a poor man's Kellen Winslow and adds a new dimension to our offense it was a success. If he's not then it won't matter. Everyone else appears to be a depth player, although I agree that Bazuin probably pushes someone out, likely Idonije.

I think Brown may be moved full-time to DT. I fully expect Idonije to play DT full-time if he's not cut, that's for sure.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:48 PM    (permalink
evershot
Rookie

evershot hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The First day was a very unusual draft for Jerry Angelo. I'm not sure how to look at this draft so far. If I had too some up the first day in one word it would be "intangibles" because after Olsen it seems that Angelo was drafting on intangibles and passed on players with the "measurables"
evershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:51 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Oh, I like the Bazuin and Olsen picks. Both were good picks. And I can understand the Okwo pick even. Maybe the org. felt Jamar wasn't the guy to replace Briggs, and that Okwo was. Our LB drafted always seem to contribute in some way. I just don't understand why you pass on such good value with Pittman, Bush, and Jackson still on the board and take Wolfe. What if Benson gets injured? We would be stuck with the worst running back duo in the league with Wolfe and Peterson. I think it would have been smart to bring in someone who could be a change of pace back, but could also possibly handle the load if needed. I wouldn't trust Wolfe with 5 carries a game without getting absolutely killed. You can give me all the Dunn comparisons you want, but Dunn is built, Wolfe is frial and tiny. He might be good as a change of pace guy, but he isn't the type you take first day, IMO.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:53 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

I personally liked our first day. Sure it's not what a lot of people wanted but Olsen was a very good pick (and yes I changed my mind on him about 2 weeks ago).

Bazuin isn't a flashy name but he'll come in and compete for playing time on the DL. Again JA is creating competition there with a high motor guy. Plus you can't ignore his production. And I've heard that we might move him to OLB, so keep an eye on that.

I think the Wolfe pick is pretty cool. Local boy who just destroyed teams his senior season. Yea, yea I know about his size, but I think he can be effective as a 3rd down back. I guess JA literally wanted a change of pace guy from Benson and AP, haha. I like 51 was hearing that he was moving up on teams' boards, which maybe JA got wind of and didn't want to take a chance on waiting until the end of the 4th to pick him.

Okwo from what I read is a very underrated player. Doesn't have the size but he's very athletic and he's pretty fast. Perfect for the Cover 2. Again, creates some competition behind Briggs if he's gone next season.

Like I've said before. I'm done debating JA on this. He knows who he's getting and what he's doing. He's watch these guys extensively and he's not going in blind here. I know a lot of us bitched about last year and look how it turned out. A 16 game starter, an incredible returner, a sack artist, and it looked like we were going to have a very solid special teams player and a guy who was going to be in the DT mix. JA doesn't go for a lot of flashy names in the middle rounds, he gets guys who fit the system and he creates competition.

I am surprised though that we didn't grab an OL on day one. Hopefully we get one on day two. Maybe Free or Barbre.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2007, 11:02 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didnt mind the 1st round pick, Olson was good value there for us. Should be a big improvement for the offense, but I am dissapointed that we didnt land Jarrett OR Rice when we had the chance. Bauzin? Never heard of the guy, but I trust JA even though we probably could have had someone better there. The Wolfe pick pisses me off, ok, maybe not, but I would much rather have had someone like Pittman, or the guy from Marshall, HECK, I would have rather had Darius Walker, but again JA knows best. This Okwo pick puzzles me, with Rufus Alexander, and Earl Everett still on the board. Why not take guys from teams with good histories. JA better know what he was doing in that 3rd round.

Hopes for tomorrow:
Dallas Baker
Rhema McKnight

anyone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
bearsfan_51
Legend

No I agree Smokey, the Wolfe pick was not a very good pick all things considered. However, if they really feel like Peterson is a competent 2nd and all they wanted from a 3rd down back was pass catching and special teams they could have done a lot worse.

Was Jackson still on the board? For some reason I thought someone took him.

Bush makes no sense. None. I just don't understand how people can look at our roster and advocate Bush. It would be as if we spent another pick on Rex Grossman. Why?

I really liked Pittman though. Not as a high 2nd, but certainly as a late 3rd. That being said, we weren't the only team to pass on him, and usually when a player drops past a whole round it doesn't speak well for his pro prospects (see Gabe Watson).

VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the concern that i had with picking Olsen is because we would have to add quite a bit to the offense to tailor to his skills... I didn't believe that Turner and Lovie would be willing to change the offense in such a way, however by picking Olsen there, it would appear that they ARE willing to do so.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:10 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Well, I've warmed up to these picks a bit... hopefully we can get a CB and a Safety tommorow.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:20 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
the concern that i had with picking Olsen is because we would have to add quite a bit to the offense to tailor to his skills... I didn't believe that Turner and Lovie would be willing to change the offense in such a way, however by picking Olsen there, it would appear that they ARE willing to do so.
To an extent, but Olsen's best route is also the best route suited to Grossman's specialty, the seam route. What I'm hoping happens, and I think this is realistic, is the option of a big, tall, fast tight end running over the middle will allow Grossman an outlet whenever he dancing around there like a jackass. Have him drop back 5 steps and drop the ball over the head of the linebackers. This will require safties to play up more, increasing the likelyhood that Berrian will burn them over the top. The more I think about the Olsen pick the more I like it. It really covers up what I consider to be a below-average rest of the day.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:22 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
Well, I've warmed up to these picks a bit... hopefully we can get a CB and a Safety tommorow.
Ew no...give me one or the other, we don't need both. Give me at least one offensive lineman and a wide reciever.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:24 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

By the way, the argument about coming from good programs is puzzling to say the least. Stanford isn't Texas but it isn't Wayne State either. He was 1st team Pac-10 and played against top competition. The fact that he was the best player on a bad defense says more to me than being just another guy at Florida.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:40 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Doug Free and Allen Barbre come to mind. I wouldn't mind trading up for Free. As I think he'd be a steal in the 4th talent wise. I love Barbre's athleticism and I think he's got some upside. And yea Dallas Baker wouldn't be bad. I was thinking we might go after Rufus but we drafted Okwo so I think that's a bit of a longshot. We need our Okie player though, I wonder who it's going to be.

Kinda pissed that Marten was chosen but oh well. Also I read that Gonzo was JA's pick at #37, so when Indy picked him Angelo traded out. I know myself, HD, Smokey and VLS all hated getting Gonzo because we figured we needed a big physical reciever, but I guess the staff was looking for a playmaking slot reciever ala Gonzo or Smith, who knew...

I'll agree with 51 though, without Olsen it's an average first day on paper. But I won't hold judgement until I see them play. I love Bazuin though as I think he'll get some PT next year and push Wale and AB.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2007, 11:44 PM    (permalink
85ers
Rookie

85ers hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

Was Jackson still on the board? For some reason I thought someone took him.
Green Bay took him in the 2nd round.
85ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:51 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Gonzo at #37 doesn't suprise me at all. My last prediction pre-draft was Grubbs at #31 and Gonzo at #37.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:52 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85ers View Post
Green Bay took him in the 2nd round.
Yes we did, you want him????

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote